Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview Fallout 3 hits E3!

Midwinter

Novice
Vault Dweller said:
Breaking news!

"Poor INT will NOT affect your dialogue choices."
Hopefully it just means the 'wub-wub' dialogue options are out. Playing a dumb character was one of the cool facets of Fallout, but not the most important. If this means that low INT character can still talk their way out of every/most situations (multiple solutions!!!), it's pretty bad news...

Preview guy said:
How far can camera zoom out?
Pretty much full control over camera and can get into an iso/top-down view.
Big deal. Top-down view is most likely useless without point & click.

Hazelnut

Erudite
Kotario said:
I like this quote from the Joystiq article myself:
Joystiq said:
War never changes, but the way you play it can certainly be improved.

You gotta be shitting me! I daren't read any more about F3 - I fear for my sanity.

Deleted member 7219

How can INT not affect dialogue choices?

Surely if your intelligence is the level of, say, the general Gamespot poster, your dialogue options should be restricted and lower quality (uh uh, etc). If your intelligence is the level of Stephen Fry they should be higher and better quality.

It was like that in Fallout 1 and 2. Bethesda obviously think they know better by changing it.

Fuckheads.

RGE

Liturgist
MF said:
You know, in Fallout you could roleplay a 65-year old geezer leaving the vault.
My age counter only went to 35. What Fallout did you play? :?

Oh wait, you meant roleplay. Like the make believe that reaches us from the TES forums. I see. :oops:

xedoc gpr

Scholar
I don't really get it. Bethesda always says their games are about "open ended" "play how you want" "do anything" and then they say "in the game, this guy will be your father, this girl will be your childhood friend", etc, etc.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
fizzelopeguss said:
micmu said:
She has that "what a jerk" expression on her face. Nice shot :)

Vile little ginger tosser.

4osa7ud.gif

spacemoose

Erudite
leaving game design and bethesda aside, todd howard could be a great person and fun to be around. so I hope you guys are not taking this speculation on his personality based on photos and the way his voice sounds too seriously. I know its the internet and its all shits and giggles, but badmouthing the personal traits of someone you've never even met would reflect poorly on YOU if this was people talking in real life.

Spacemoose said:
leaving game design and bethesda aside, todd howard could be a great person and fun to be around. so I hope you guys are not taking this speculation on his personality based on photos and the way his voice sounds too seriously. I know its the internet and its all shits and giggles, but badmouthing the personal traits of someone you've never even met would reflect poorly on YOU if this was people talking in real life.

He could be a pretty cool guy, heck, he probably isn't a bad guy. But still, if I were in his situation I sure wouldn't stare at some woman's boobs on camera. And if I did, I'd expect every damn person to be able to call me on it.

He could have at least had the idea to wear some mirrored sunglasses and stare away without anyone ever truly knowing though.

galsiah

Erudite
Edward_R_Murrow said:
But still, if I were in his situation I sure wouldn't stare at some woman's boobs on camera.
Have you actually seen the video?
He spends most of his time looking up, down, left and right - just not directly at the interviewer. That's pretty typical behaviour for a geeky guy who's attempting to explain his ideas to someone who's not on his wavelength (and this girl clearly knows nothing - she seems to think the game is Fall Out, for a start). She makes Todd Howard look professional, which takes some doing.

I actually came out with a better impression of Howard than I expected (I've never seen/heard him speak before). Of course the content is pretty terrible, but we knew that already. Criticising his manner in that interview is just reaching.

galsiah said:
Have you actually seen the video?
He spends most of his time looking up, down, left and right - just not directly at the interviewer.

See, I meant that I wouldn't leer at the woman's boobs for any amount of time if I was on camera and didn't want anyone to call me out on it or misconstrue it into looking like I was. I would make the chest area a no-sight zone if I didn't want this type of treatment.

That's pretty typical behaviour for a geeky guy who's attempting to explain his ideas to someone who's not on his wavelength

Everybody has their speech quirks, it's just he seemed to stare at her boobs occasionally and it's now an internet spectacle.

(and this girl clearly knows nothing - she seems to think the game is Fall Out, for a start)

Todd is probably pointing out the exact reasons she has her job.

She makes Todd Howard look professional, which takes some doing.

Not really. Todd Howard may be a complete screw-up when it comes to RPG design, but he seems pretty calm, cool, and collected and doesn't seem to let his emotions get in the way, only his testosterone. I've got to give him credit for keeping cool under the shitstorm he's awoken. Herve and Chuck sure couldn't.

Criticising his manner in that interview is just reaching.

His manner was alright, he just did something very silly, especially as a big-name designer, and people are laughing it up. Nothing else.

galsiah

Erudite
Edward_R_Murrow said:
...it's just he seemed to stare at her boobs occasionally...
No he didn't - not to anyone with eyes.
Anyone who gets "staring at boobs" rather than "not looking in the eye" from that video isn't paying attention.
Anyone who gets "staring" from a photo needs to think about the nature of a still photograph.

There are so many reasons to mock Todd already. This one is just daft.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
galsiah said:
Anyone who gets "staring at boobs" rather than "not looking in the eye" from that video isn't paying attention..

Yeah, that's *real* *important*, right there

galsiah

Erudite
Are you under the impression that Fallout 3 is salvageable? How was any content in that video remotely surprising/interesting?
If you're not seeing it as bad soap-opera, I think you're expecting too much.

Since you're a bigger Fallout fan than I, with a large stake in the community, I can understand your interest - but from a more neutral perspective, the content is getting very tired.
Are they going to screw it up? Yes.
Is there hope for a real Fallout 3? No.
Is there hope for something like Bloodlines? Not likely.

galsiah said:
No he didn't - not to anyone with eyes.

What one sees and what one percieves can be very different things. Not to mention perception in some ways can be subjective.

Anyone who gets "staring at boobs" rather than "not looking in the eye" from that video isn't paying attention.

Or is looking at things from a different point of view. You seem to be under the impression Todd is geeky and socially challenged and thus is trying to avoid eye contact. It has logic behind it, sure. But checking out the woman's rack because of his geekiness would be almost as valid, if not nearly as thought out, no? Silly argument, I know.

Anyone who gets "staring" from a photo needs to think about the nature of a still photograph.

Poor word choice on my part. My mistake. Perhaps, "glancing" would fit more appropriately, would it not?

There are so many reasons to mock Todd already. This one is just daft.

It's just a bit of a joke. It actually doesn't even portray him in all that bad of a light unlike a lot of the other ones. I mean, it seems to have shut up the speculation among some that he is batting for the other team....

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
galsiah said:
Since you're a bigger Fallout fan than I, with a large stake in the community, I can understand your interest - but from a more neutral perspective, the content is getting very tired.

It's been tired before. The ragging on BoS got pretty predictable after a while. Never stopped us, it won't now.

Personal mocking of Todd Howard isn't my gig, but that video is just unintentionally hilarious no matter which way you turn it. People can point and laugh or not, it's not really much skin off anyone's back, I'm sure Todd's had worse.

Bradylama

Arcane
It's a funny gif, I don't see why it has to be a bigger deal than that.

ffffffffft.jpg

I couldn't help but think of this for some reason.

psycojester

Arbiter

If i recall he did a developer profile about his life during the Oblivion debacle. We found it mockable.

Texas Red

Whiner
Remember that the low INT does not only affect the dialogs. One instance I remember is that when you try to get in to Vault City as a dumb character you will not be given a pass but actually made in to a slave. I can safely assume that there are more and more such events in the game.

Wheeee, now the Gamespoters can safely powergame without any consequence. Now they can put their INT in to 1 and dump in to seemingly more important stats such as strengh.

MF

The Boar Studio
Patron
Developer
RGE said:
MF said:
You know, in Fallout you could roleplay a 65-year old geezer leaving the vault.
My age counter only went to 35. What Fallout did you play? :?

Oh wait, you meant roleplay. Like the make believe that reaches us from the TES forums. I see. :oops:

Hey, you're right. I could have sworn...Oh well, I never tried, I guess.

Fodel

Novice
Through your little retro PDA, you will be able to choose your character's stat alignment, something that will be very hard to change later on in the game

:shock:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom