Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout 3 gets Writers' Guild Award Nomination

Tekar

Novice
The nominations for the Writers Guild videogame awards are out with Fallout 3 getting a nod. Here's the list via Variety:

Command and Conquer: Red Alert 3 (EA). Writer: Haris Orkin. Story Producer: Mical Pedriana.

Dangerous High School Girls in Trouble! (Mousechief). Writing: Keith Nemitz. Additional Writing: Adrianne Ambrose.

Fallout 3 (Bethesda). Lead Writer: Emil Pagliarulo. Quest Writing: Erik J. Caponi, Brian Chapin, Jon Paul Duvall, Kurt Kuhlmann, Alan Nanes, Bruce Nesmith, and Fred Zeleny. Additional Quest Writing: Nate Ellis, William Killeen, Mark Nelson, and Justin McSweeney.

Star Wars: The Force Unleashed (LucasArts). Writers: Haden Blackman, Shawn Pitman, John Stafford and Cameron Suey.

Tomb Raider: Underworld (Eidos). Story: Eric Lindstrom and Toby Guard. Screenplay: Eric Lindstrom.
Dangerous High School Girls in Trouble? Riiiiiight ...

EDIT: on second tought I'm hoping that one wins.

racofer

Thread Incliner
istockphoto_1321447_lots_of_cash.jpg

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Fat Dragon said:
How does the Writers' Guild fuck up that badly?

Because only games where the writers are getting seperate credit are able to be nominated. If you got a game like Torment but in the credits your writer is called "Game Designer", you don't get a prize.

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
I have defended Fallout 3 here and there, but best writing?

Hory

Erudite
This is seriously the lowest point in video game history.

Qwinn

Scholar
BLOBERT said:
I have defended Fallout 3 here and there, but best writing?

Um. Yeah. Same here. I don't think the writing (outside of the overpoliticized bits) is that bad yet, but it's certainly not -best- either.

Then again... do have to point out that, while everyone's Booing and Hissing, I note no one's brought up a "Game X that came out this year had much better writing"...

Were there actually no alternatives? Is it possible Fallout 3 -was- the best writing this year? Heh.

Qwinn

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Qwinn said:
Were there actually no alternatives? Is it possible Fallout 3 -was- the best writing this year? Heh.
For example, the dialogue in Storm of Zehir beats the living shit out of FO3's excuses for writing.

Seboss

Liturgist
Aren't Writers Guild Award nominees supposed to have some significant amount of text and story?

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Seboss said:
Aren't Writers Guild Award nominees supposed to have some significant amount of text and story?
I think I read some bullshit there along the lines of that simply having a lot of writing compensates for it being total shit.

Longshanks

Augur
Aren't these nominations based on submitted scripts?
I could see how Fallout 3's writing could look at least decent with the more retarded shit excised. The worst writing is in the skill and stat checks, these are unlikely to be included in a script. Though, the idiocy of the main plot should still be obvious.

On 2008 games with better writing, I've played very few, but most have been better written than Fallout 3. GTA IV is much better written, so is Mass Effect, Prince of Persia's writing is bad but still rivals that of Fallout 3. I've also played a few Adventure games in 2008, with much better writing, but I'd not expect this genre to feature in such awards.

Rorschach

Novice
Since when has anyone, anywhere, ever given a shit about any award?

After all, Al Gore is still a retard despite winning a Nobel Prize.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom