Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout 3 - Codex Opinions Thread

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Shannow said:
Increasing the number of skill points needed to further increase the skill also helped. And I seem to remember having 230 points in energy weapons. May be wrong though.
Beth just ignored well developed game design and did what they though best...

I think 250 was the skills cap in Fallout and Fallout 2. The point of skills going that high is that there were difficulty adjustments to overcome as well. You could have a 100% skill and hit most of the time under ideal circumstances in Fallout. However, what if you're in the dark? What if the target is really far away? What if you're shooting for the eyes? What if you're under the effects of drugs or blinded? Anything over 100% skill in Fallout was your character's ability to overcome more difficult situations, and it worked really well as a concept. Fallout also had a 5% failure chance no matter what, which was a good idea.

ricolikesrice

Arcane

My opinion on Fallout 3: Morrowind with guns ...

as all bethesda games it has really terrible combat and a terrible character system, very mixed writing (from pretty good to mostly average to flatout shit), some good, some really bad and mostly below average quests etc.

what set morrowind apart from oblivion and for me also sets apart fallout 3 from oblivion .... is that between the traditional bethesda gameplay (or lack of) .... morrowind/fallout 3 provide worlds that are fun to explore no matter how much facepalm worthy issues you encounter along the way - oblivion didnt with its sterile, generic copypasta fantasy world, so all the flaws had nothing to make up for them - to me at least.

if i d have to rate these 3 games morrowind d get 8/10, oblivion 4/10 and fallout 3 7/10.

for being a "next-gen(tm)" first/third person action RPG that puts it right next to mass effect (7/10) but still below VTMB (9/10).

no doubt SoZ is gonna beat it as my fave RPG of the year but the award for "shittiest combat in a RPG" is still open with NWN2 and Fallout 3 as top runners atm.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
If I had to pick a favourite RPG of this year it'd be King's Bounty: The Legend. It's enough of an RPG to qualify, and it rocks.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
The skill cap was 200 in FO1 and 300 in FO2. FO2 also introduced increasing cost to raise a skill after 100%.

"What`s the news around town?" Arefu is the new Megaton. 101 is the new lol. Possible spoilers start now.

Have you guys already been in Arefu? *Knock Kock* Who`s there?
Hello there, my name is Dracula and i am most certainly not a vampire from "The family".
It makes me want to blow up those highway pillars on which the damn village is build on. They even did a copy`n paste job on the dialogue. Instead of "Rumors" you have your "What`s the news around town?" or some other copy`n pasted crap. 101.

xedoc gpr

Scholar
Starting playing today, it's pretty boring and dull, hope it gets better. The introduction is really stupid.

trojan pony

Novice
Cloaked Figure said:
Fallout 3 is a poor attempt at an FPS (because it sure as shit doesn't feel like an RPG) and it fails at that. I got bored quickly, and stopped playing. Where the hell was all the good dialogue and, contrary to what Chefe claims, I saw no evidence of consequences to my actions. Good thing I removed it from inventory. Good choice there, on my part. I always did like demos; found them to be very telling.
Did I hear an echo echoecho echoecho?

xedoc gpr

Scholar
Fallout 3 is a poor attempt at an FPS (because it sure as shit doesn't feel like an RPG) and it fails at that. I got bored quickly, and stopped playing. Where the hell was all the good dialogue and, contrary to what Chefe claims, I saw no evidence of consequences to my actions. Good thing I removed it from inventory. Good choice there, on my part. I always did like demos; found them to be very telling.

Jaime Lannister

Arbiter
JarlFrank said:
If I had to pick a favourite RPG of this year it'd be King's Bounty: The Legend. It's enough of an RPG to qualify, and it rocks.

The combat can get repetitive, and we haven't seen how good SoZ is yet.

Drakron

Arcane
SimpleComplexity said:
"What`s the news around town?" Arefu is the new Megaton. 101 is the new lol. Possible spoilers start now.

Have you guys already been in Arefu?

Yes and since I was there so I know what you are saying is crap.

First thing they say is how the Town is being besieged by a group of raiders, they mention how their brahmin was killed by them.

When we check out the houses and found the dead family, when examine then the text box mentioned "human teeth" and so when reporting back the word that is used is CANNIBALS, only when meeting the Family we get the whole "vampire" angle and granted, considering those people do hunger for human flesh is not really much a bad idea or have you been to Andale?

As a matter of fact, go to Andale and look at the GOD AWFUL lines after we checked the shack (I doubt the basement lines would be much better) and compare then to the Arefu quest.

poocolator

Erudite
The Order of Discalced Codexian Convulsionists
SimpleComplexity said:

Hello there, my name is Dracula and i am most certainly not a vampire from "The family".
It makes me want to blow up those highway pillars on which the damn village is build on. They even did a copy`n paste job on the dialogue. Instead of "Rumors" you have your "What`s the news around town?" or some other copy`n pasted crap. 101.

That's exactly what I noticed. The dialogue options for the player are location-specific just like in Oblivion (more so Morrowind, actually). This ties in directly with how dialogues are set up in the TES Construction Set. It is obvious from the construction set that dialogue is simply an after thought. Fucking sandbox bullshit. I mean for fuck's sake, you go to that slave place in middle of nowhere, and one of the (few) things you can say to everyone in there is, "So, you used to be a slave?". God get a clue, Bethesda.

Heresiarch

Prophet
poocolator said:
SimpleComplexity said:

That's exactly what I noticed. The dialogue options for the player are location-specific just like in Oblivion (more so Morrowind, actually). This ties in directly with how dialogues are set up in the TES Construction Set. It is obvious from the construction set that dialogue is simply an after thought. Fucking sandbox bullshit. I mean for fuck's sake, you go to that slave place in middle of nowhere, and one of the (few) things you can say to everyone in there is, "So, you used to be a slave?". God get a clue, Bethesda.

Hey, don't forget the classic Ultima "Name!" "Job!" "Bye!" dialogues.

Texas Red

Whiner
Is Vault 112 supposed to appear on the map after you read the holodiscs? Nothing appeared on mine.

made

Arcane
Heresiarch said:
Hey, don't forget the classic Ultima "Name!" "Job!" "Bye!" dialogues.

Difference being, in Ultima those keywords opened up new topics, leading to lenghty, branching conversations, while in Bethesda games they are practically the extent of NPC interaction. Or, in Fallout 3's much advanced case, where stats affect dialogue options:

"Hello, my name is Doctor Mengele."
- Name?!?!
- [Intelligence] Oh, you're a doctor, right?
- Bye

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
Just finished it. The ending sucked ass. I can't believe they were too lazy to do it right, would have taken minimal effort for an F2 style ending.

In fact, the main quest sucks ass. Still like the game in general though.

uhjghvt

Scholar
Dark Individual said:
Is Vault 112 supposed to appear on the map after you read the holodiscs? Nothing appeared on mine.
it isn't listed as a vault on the map

Deleted member 7219

BLOBERT said:
Just finished it. The ending sucked ass. I can't believe they were too lazy to do it right, would have taken minimal effort for an F2 style ending.

In fact, the main quest sucks ass. Still like the game in general though.

Same here.

There's a few other annoyances, but overall I like the game and I've sunk a good 50 hours into it so far. So I can't complain about it being too short.

There are also some really good quests in there, like The Replicated Man. And it was fun seeing Harold again.

One other thing - there's a lot of cock teasing in the game as well. The set up in Megaton is almost the same as that in Junktown in FO1 (between Killian and Gizmo), and the dialogue practically bends over backwards to suggest that there will be some key confrontation between Simms and Moriarty, but this is never delivered. Instead the main quest line for Megaton is that idiotic Wasteland Survival Guide quest. But since they butchered the ending anyway and gave no conclusion to many of the major choices you made along the way, it would have been pointless just the same.

Suchy

Arcane
I ran into some problems when I tired using custom music, after looking around the forums it seems I'm not the only one.
I had some problems when I replaced combat tracks with Fallout Tactics music. Every time the combat finished, I had severe drop of fps - had to quit to menu and reload... Probably caused by different compression rate. After all I removed combat music entirely (those orchestrals are totally unacceptable) and added original Mark Morgan's tracks for exploration and towns. No problems then, even though compression rates still were different. The music didn't change for combat, that's all.

DemonKing

Arcane
I've only had a chance to play through to the exit from the Vault so far (my wife's computer is screwing up so most of my spare time has been wasted trying to get it to work again) and I can't say I hate it, even though the GOAT test and birthday party were pretty thick.

The combat is rather poor, but that seems to be par for the course with consolised CRPGs these days.

I didn't find the dialogue or voice acting too annoying so far, although the scipt isn't exactly Shakespeare.

Texas Red

Whiner
uhjghvt said:
Dark Individual said:
it isn't listed as a vault on the map

Yes I know. I quadruple checked all locations and nothing new appeared.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom