Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Fallout 3 character model @ NMA

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Raymondo2000 said:
The thing which pisses me off the most about some Fallout Fans is the fact they say ?OMG If its not in Falout 1 or 2 then it shoudn?t be called Fallout 3!111?. Damn it if everyone designed sequels like that then they would all suck ass even more. Some people just suck at design ideas and improvements.

Well, one fun thing about post apocalypse is that if it's not established that it exists early on, there'd better be a damned good reason why it exists later on. Otherwise, it's not post apocalyptic, is it?

Raymondo

Liturgist
Well, one fun thing about post apocalypse is that if it's not established that it exists early on, there'd better be a damned good reason why it exists later on. Otherwise, it's not post apocalyptic, is it?

If there isn’t anything new to the game then it’s a pretty shit sequel, to keep a good game doing there has to be extras that the Original didn’t have. Now I’m not saying that they should be Cars and Tv stations in Fallout 3 but at least something we haven’t already seen besides from the story and I don’t think an extra sleeve is going to upset the Fallout world although the Motorcycles are a bad choice.

Human Shield

Augur
They don't like the change in the look. The clothing style is part of the setting, just as level of technology. Throwing flawed material in weakens the setting and shows a lack of understanding, like many things in Fallout 2.

Ausir

Arcane
Well, I don't see how 2-sleeved jackets can be considered raping the setting, though.

Anonymous

Mad Max fan here, to clarify.

First, the "Village ppl l0lz' thing was kinda dumb, but it being in Fallout is kinda stupid...

He's an Ex-Bronze from Mad Max, people who used to be what Max was (the Bronzes, A.K.A. the Cops of Mad Max) but then decided to go out into the wastelands and be rough bikers, you see a few in the movie. At the start of MM2, during the middle (the guy with the tri-harpoon gun) and so such.

But it's akin to putting Humungus in as a last boss, BUT, I imagine the explaination for these guys are they were police or something (NCR anyone?), but went the way of the Ex-Bronze and became usual Wasteland skrags.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Raymondo2000 said:
If there isn?t anything new to the game then it?s a pretty shit sequel, to keep a good game doing there has to be extras that the Original didn?t have. Now I?m not saying that they should be Cars and Tv stations in Fallout 3 but at least something we haven?t already seen besides from the story and I don?t think an extra sleeve is going to upset the Fallout world although the Motorcycles are a bad choice.

I wasn't refering to the sleeve or anything in particular seen on that model. I was refering to your statement about adding things to Fallout 3.

Raymondo

Liturgist
I wasn't refering to the sleeve or anything in particular seen on that model. I was refering to your statement about adding things to Fallout 3.

I was using the sleeve thing as an example. My main point is that if nothing new is added to Fallout 3 then it’s just the same plain old shit and that it would be nice to see something new besides from the story but things like cars and Tv stations are somewhat over the top.

Kortalh

Liturgist
Maybe a devloper went "Hey, if we put these things on this guy, he looks awfully similar from the guy from Mad Max! Since the game's canceled anyway, why not take a screenshot of it and give it to the fans as a 'christmas gift'?"

Seriously, you guys are putting way too much thought into this. Just because a model happens to be dressed up in a certain way doesn't mean that the Fallout universe is raped and worthless.

Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Raymondo2000 said:
I was using the sleeve thing as an example. My main point is that if nothing new is added to Fallout 3 then it?s just the same plain old shit and that it would be nice to see something new besides from the story but things like cars and Tv stations are somewhat over the top.

Like I said, depends on what it is and what reasons there are for it being there. The piperifle was a nice enough addition to Fallout 2, but the CAWS was lame.

triCritical

Erudite
I remember arguing Fallout vs. Mad Max at the IPLY forums. However, over there I was in the minority. Anyhow what I came away with is that a lot of the new Fallout fans, actually wanted FO to be more like Mad Max. I blieve there was one guy still life who said that the 50's pop-culture thing and scarcity were all fine and dandy for FO1, but we should move on and FO3 should concern itself with more Mad Max elements as well as more gritty pot apocalyptic stuff. One of the main reasons I stopped going was that a lot of people actually agreed with him and I thought that its time for me to leave.

kumquatq3

Liturgist
Exitium said:
He found a cop helmet. Fair enough. But a whole uniform? In mint condition?

its not finished!!! Who knows how they would have edited it,

HanoverF

Arcane
Patron
MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
I'd sorta like a sequel to be a logical progression of the original games story, setting, and tone, and not just have a bunch of kewl looking new models and weapons cuz its like a sequal and there needs to be new stuff!!!1!

Jed

Cipher
kumquatq3 said:
its not finished!!! Who knows how they would have edited it,
We're criticizing what is, not what could have maybe possibly been. I've lost so much faith in BIS that I doubt our worst fears would be far from the mark in the end.

kumquatq3

Liturgist
I've lost so much faith in BIS that I doubt our worst fears would be far from the mark in the end.

Bah!

anyways, you don't really have to worry about BIS anymore :cry:

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
HanoverF said:
I'd sorta like a sequel to be a logical progression of the original games story, setting, and tone, and not just have a bunch of kewl looking new models and weapons cuz its like a sequal and there needs to be new stuff!!!1!

Yup, you already have the BOS from Fallout being the tech scavengers and harbingers. In Fallout 2, they introduced another high tech group as the bad guys. Fallout Tactics introduced one, the Reavers.. There's really only so many techie groups you can fling in to a post apoc setting just to add new ph4t l3wt before it just gets stupid.

triCritical said:
I remember arguing Fallout vs. Mad Max at the IPLY forums. However, over there I was in the minority. Anyhow what I came away with is that a lot of the new Fallout fans, actually wanted FO to be more like Mad Max. I blieve there was one guy still life who said that the 50's pop-culture thing and scarcity were all fine and dandy for FO1, but we should move on and FO3 should concern itself with more Mad Max elements as well as more gritty pot apocalyptic stuff. One of the main reasons I stopped going was that a lot of people actually agreed with him and I thought that its time for me to leave.

That's one thing that annoys me as well. Fallout should be Fallout, and over there somewhere, Mad Max should be Mad Max. Sure, they're both post apocalyptic, but why the hell should they make Fallout in to Mad Max when it's basically it's own setting? That's almost as stupid as saying that since Star Trek and Star Wars are basically both sci-fi, Star Wars should be more like Star Trek.

Rosh

Erudite
triCritical said:
I blieve there was one guy still life who said that the 50's pop-culture thing and scarcity were all fine and dandy for FO1, but we should move on and FO3 should concern itself with more Mad Max elements as well as more gritty pot apocalyptic stuff. One of the main reasons I stopped going was that a lot of people actually agreed with him and I thought that its time for me to leave.

Now I don't feel so bad for banning that twit when they posted the baiting at NMA, if that is the same person.

The fellow certainly seems to be a defender of the clueless, as they stood up for TheBigL after they did something incredibly stupid, along with Legshot.

Dan

Liturgist
Changing stuff and adding things to a sequel is nice an all, but it can fuck with the setting.

Someone once told me that he thinks all of those locations many people don't really like, (Vault city, New Reno, etc.) Are actually the most logical things to make.
80 Years have passed, they had time to develop. If a Vault takes a G.E.C.K and build a city, you'd expect something like Vault City to come out.

Yet, even though it can be argued as logical, it isn't a good idea. What you get in the end is almost a different setting. You can't just think on terms of what needs to happen, you need to think what should happen.

Greenskin13

Erudite
Hey Dan. I agree that Reno and VC really destroyed the setting, I wonder if people are going overboard with the police model. In wasteland, one of the desert dwellers had an LAPD cap, but he wasn't some post-apoc law enforcer. To me, this model is just a guy with a helmet. The leather jacket and pants could be from a serperate outfit. The Mad Max reference is there, but that doesn't mean FO3 is going to be about biker gangs. While BIS could screw up and actually do that, I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt because I'm a naiive optimist.

Greenskin13

Erudite
The concept of VC was fine to me, but I didn't like how they decided to build it. Really, running around the city, I lost almost all feeling of the post-apoc setting. The courtyard was the best area, in my opinion. It combined those GECK clay houses along with post-war survivalist buildings. That at least tried to contain civilization into the setting.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom