Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout 2 Restoration: is it worth it?

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
I've played the game twice, and on my second playthrough I pretty much did all the extra stuff I hadn't done the first time. Does the restoration make it enough of a new experience to warrant a third playthrough?

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
It adds much inane stuff and the writing isn't very nice (atleast for me). The patch he delivers with the pack is very good though and eliminates a shitload of bugs.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
I enjoyed it. To me of the restored areas were kind of neat. But it makes an already WAY TO FUCKING LONG of a game even MOAR fucking longer.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
I only liked the Den orphanage quest.
Surf Solar said:
It adds much inane stuff and the writing isn't very nice (atleast for me). The patch he delivers with the pack is very good though and eliminates a shitload of bugs.
This.

Just get the unnoficial patch and you're good.

Jigawatt

Arcane
Imagine the worst, most cring-inducing dialogue featured in F2. Everything in the restoration patch is worse in quality than that. That said, Killap's 'patch only' is excellent, and includes sfall engine tweaks which are quite nice.

Also, I seriously doubt that you've "done all the extra stuff" in just two playthroughs unless there was a walkthrough involved somewhere along the line.

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
Jaesun said:
I enjoyed it. To me of the restored areas were kind of neat. But it makes an already WAY TO FUCKING LONG of a game even MOAR fucking longer.
I just spent 80 hours on New Vegas. And enjoyed every minute.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Yeah If you just want extra content for the sake of it, there are some good stuff in the restoration project.

But there are also some really shitty stuff, like the tribal village fetch quests.

Mister Arkham

Scholar
Some of the areas are interesting (though you can see why some were cut) and all of the bug-fixes are nice. The dialogue and other writing has improved over the various releases, but it was still fairly amateurish in my last play-through. I really disagree with the notion that it makes the game too long, though...not to mention the notion that the game is too long to begin with.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Most of the added quests are fetch quests, and only a few of the new areas are really worth exploring. It might be worth a playthrough if you're in love with the first two Fallout games as I am, but it doesn't sound like you are.

If you do decide to play through again, just get the bugfix patch.

Renegen

Arcane
It's worth it. It adds some new areas to a game that you've probably played 10 times or more. It also adds some weapons I think. Overall it's just a breath of fresh air.

Nope not worth it. Definitely get the killap patch tho; the broken quests fixed is as good as new content and... YOU CAN USE BALD GUY OR LONG HAIR GUY (which I really sincerely felt was the best addition for my own gameplay, for some reason).

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
It shows how many hours you've clocked in your savegame files...

Regarding the restoration project again, the only new location I didn't find completely derp was the abbey. Sure there was the occasional fed ex quest, but this one was enjoyable IMO. Good mapping there aswell.
As for the other stuff, well there probably was a reason for why they weren't in the original game.

Well regarding RP, for me it's one of those "why not?" situations. Fallout 2 is a sandbox game so you are not supposed to do every little thing in it anyway. But I don't mind stuff like actually being able to rescue Sulik's sister or stopping those little brats in Den from trying to steal shit from me. So what if not all quests are worth doing, not like something forces you to.

Jaesun said:

>Implying you need to do anything you don't feel like doing

I don't like Modoc or Redding very much so in some playthroughs I wouldn't even go there.

halflingbarbarian said:
YOU CAN USE BALD GUY OR LONG HAIR GUY (which I really sincerely felt was the best addition for my own gameplay, for some reason).

Hmmm. How many beards does it introduce? That's kind of a deal breaker, you know

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Multidirectional said:
Well regarding RP, for me it's one of those "why not?" situations. Fallout 2 is a sandbox game so you are not supposed to do every little thing in it anyway. But I don't mind stuff like actually being able to rescue Sulik's sister or stopping those little brats in Den from trying to steal shit from me. So what if not all quests are worth doing, not like something forces you to.

The point is, they had unlimited time to figure out if the quest was shit or fitted in or enhanced another part of the game (like the Gecko's Enclave message actually having consequences) or whatever, and we got EPA and sulik's tribe fetch quests when even someone braindead could tell they were bad ideas - and one of the good ideas, they removed (voyage to the enclave by stowing in a ventibird), because it was not "authentic" or someshit.

Fucking no.

Clockwork Knight said:
halflingbarbarian said:
YOU CAN USE BALD GUY OR LONG HAIR GUY (which I really sincerely felt was the best addition for my own gameplay, for some reason).

Hmmm. How many beards does it introduce? That's kind of a deal breaker, you know

None. But someday I hope my taste can be so edgy and distinguished as yours.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom