Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout 2 mods that are playable in English

Optimist

Savant
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
So,

I know that the Fallout 2 modding scene has been surprisingly active. Drawing most of my knowledge from Warlockracy's videos, my understanding is that, like, 95% of these mods are only playable in Russian. What are the exceptions to this rule, though? A while ago I had quite a bit of fun playing through Resurrection, despite WTFing a few times. What others were translated?

Optimist

Savant
Patron
from top of mind:

for english Sonora, check the dedicated thread here. looks like getting the latest patch + en translation takes a bit of digging
Bless you, good man.

tbh, I'm quite surprised, I thought that the fact that there are relatively few discussions going on about those means that there indeed is a language barrier in place. I mean, I know that we have threads about at least some of those around, but they very rarely pop up to the top.

Welp, that's amazing. I think I'll grab Nevada, and then Sonora (which I understand recently got a DLC, so I'd guess that the patch might still be in the making).

God damn, not sure when was the last time I had such a Fallout craving.

Jvegi

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Any info on what are the stances of each of those modding teams on the rushitian-Ukrainian war?

Feyd Rautha

Arcane
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

rubinstein

Educated
reading street warrior description got me some major aneurysm, thats some purest form poglish.
also just by reading the description alone you can tell this shit will be heavily held back by modders megalomania... possibly its pure modders megalomania and (i dont intend to be malicious, but you cant really describe it differently) incompetency.
what is more, author posted gameplay snippets in the thread. nothing seems encouraging.

Beastro

Arcane
Nevada is awesome.
Also has some hilarious translation errors.
Sonora has some, especially in Dayglow.

Pile's name is never used and is translated literally alternating between Heap and "a bunch".

I guess the person proofreading the translation program never realized his name is Pile because it's a FMJ reference.

Optimist

Savant
Patron
Aand that's Nevada down!

Overall I think I liked it more than Resurrection. It might lack some polish of the original Fallouts, but it's a great game nonetheless. The translation is solid - I did get some WTF moments, but other than a few non-critical cases where it was difficult to grasp what the author had in mind, it was entirely playable.

A few loose thoughts:
- The main story was fairly meh, but Fallouts were ever about their main storylines. Exploration is fun, there's a bunch of side-quests, all in all - good stuff. I think my personal high-point was the initial exploration of the Hawthorne base.
- Some side quests went a bit too hard into adventure game territory. Guessing you need to put a specific barrel on fire (and needing a one-use lighter in your inventory) to sabotage a ranch, or having to walk around using steal on NPCs to solve a fairly big quest in LV are examples of the lack of polish I mentioned.
- I went with an unarmed/ speech/ repair built, with some points put into science once I realized it's fairly useful here. There seems to be a lot to do for doctors and a bunch of doors to open for high-lockpick characters. Funnily enough, the few times I wanted to plant a bomb into someone's pants or steal a quest item, I succeeded every time despite not putting a single point in steal. Frankly, I have no idea how characters without repair would fare, this was probably one of my most often used non-combat skills.
- Unarmed was... OK, but lacked the necessary oomph until I grabbed a power fist from Machete which I quickly upgraded. The turrets at the end gave me a bunch of problems, I ended up savescum-popamoling EMP grenades. Good thing there was a way to temporarily deactivate a bunch of those in the ending location.
- Frankly, it feels as though the game was developed with energy gun users in mind. There is a bunch of those around, with some sensible early grabs. Energy guns/ speech/ repair, with some points put into lockpick, science, and doctor seem to be the way to go for the game.
- I have no idea what the infection stuff was about, I ended up hitting up a doctor or the NR autodoc to remove it now and then.
- I assembled the power armor at the end but ended up using a guide to identify necessary parts. Garage-made power armor gets me hard. It still felt less protective than I'd like it to, more like an armored environmental suit than a walking tank. I guess this could've been by design?
- The combat felt a bit odd. It managed to hit the sweet spot at the beginning, then became a bit too difficult until I grabbed the power fist/ slayer/ martial arts combo and was then a complete joke almost until the very end. Still, once the turrets showed up I was getting massacred anyway, there seemed to be no real way to withstand this sort of firepower, even while having PA, toughness, and being high on Psycho.
- I'm not sure how I felt about the way armor was doled out here. I liked the fact that you could put together an initial leather jacket and what ultimately was an improved leather armor but found little to switch to until I hit Salt Lake. The Nuka Cola repairman let me upgrade the metal armor to mk2, then reinforce and teslify it. Made me wonder, though - was there any combat armor available before the end-game dungeon?
- The Big Louis character was odd. Not sure what the author had in mind while writing him up. I ended up needing to dickpunch him to death on our first meeting, as my karma was too high, despite him being shown as a sort of antihero character that ultimately aims for peace and stability. Or this might be just the translation fucking with me.
- I'm not sure how I feel about the three-fold ending. Finishing the dungeon and then pulping the Reaper (what the fuck was that thing with his once-used Jedi powers?) felt like enough, following VC scenes felt unnecessary.

I feel like I have enough in me for one F2 mod. I guess I might take a shot at Sonora, then, AFAIK it's by the same author, right?

Beans00

Augur
I feel like I have enough in me for one F2 mod. I guess I might take a shot at Sonora, then, AFAIK it's by the same author, right?

https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads...llout-nevada-team.120266/page-29#post-8843473

https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads...ut-total-conversion.96203/page-7#post-8690433

My thoughts on Sonora and Olympus.

My TLDR is I liked sonora, but not as much as 1.5 or nevada. Olympus is kind of crap but maybe still worth playing if you're really craving additional fallout content.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Aand that's Nevada down!

Overall I think I liked it more than Resurrection. It might lack some polish of the original Fallouts, but it's a great game nonetheless. The translation is solid - I did get some WTF moments, but other than a few non-critical cases where it was difficult to grasp what the author had in mind, it was entirely playable.

A few loose thoughts:
- The main story was fairly meh, but Fallouts were ever about their main storylines. Exploration is fun, there's a bunch of side-quests, all in all - good stuff. I think my personal high-point was the initial exploration of the Hawthorne base.
- Some side quests went a bit too hard into adventure game territory. Guessing you need to put a specific barrel on fire (and needing a one-use lighter in your inventory) to sabotage a ranch, or having to walk around using steal on NPCs to solve a fairly big quest in LV are examples of the lack of polish I mentioned.
- I went with an unarmed/ speech/ repair built, with some points put into science once I realized it's fairly useful here. There seems to be a lot to do for doctors and a bunch of doors to open for high-lockpick characters. Funnily enough, the few times I wanted to plant a bomb into someone's pants or steal a quest item, I succeeded every time despite not putting a single point in steal. Frankly, I have no idea how characters without repair would fare, this was probably one of my most often used non-combat skills.
- Unarmed was... OK, but lacked the necessary oomph until I grabbed a power fist from Machete which I quickly upgraded. The turrets at the end gave me a bunch of problems, I ended up savescum-popamoling EMP grenades. Good thing there was a way to temporarily deactivate a bunch of those in the ending location.
- Frankly, it feels as though the game was developed with energy gun users in mind. There is a bunch of those around, with some sensible early grabs. Energy guns/ speech/ repair, with some points put into lockpick, science, and doctor seem to be the way to go for the game.
- I have no idea what the infection stuff was about, I ended up hitting up a doctor or the NR autodoc to remove it now and then.
- I assembled the power armor at the end but ended up using a guide to identify necessary parts. Garage-made power armor gets me hard. It still felt less protective than I'd like it to, more like an armored environmental suit than a walking tank. I guess this could've been by design?
- The combat felt a bit odd. It managed to hit the sweet spot at the beginning, then became a bit too difficult until I grabbed the power fist/ slayer/ martial arts combo and was then a complete joke almost until the very end. Still, once the turrets showed up I was getting massacred anyway, there seemed to be no real way to withstand this sort of firepower, even while having PA, toughness, and being high on Psycho.
- I'm not sure how I felt about the way armor was doled out here. I liked the fact that you could put together an initial leather jacket and what ultimately was an improved leather armor but found little to switch to until I hit Salt Lake. The Nuka Cola repairman let me upgrade the metal armor to mk2, then reinforce and teslify it. Made me wonder, though - was there any combat armor available before the end-game dungeon?
- The Big Louis character was odd. Not sure what the author had in mind while writing him up. I ended up needing to dickpunch him to death on our first meeting, as my karma was too high, despite him being shown as a sort of antihero character that ultimately aims for peace and stability. Or this might be just the translation fucking with me.
- I'm not sure how I feel about the three-fold ending. Finishing the dungeon and then pulping the Reaper (what the fuck was that thing with his once-used Jedi powers?) felt like enough, following VC scenes felt unnecessary.

Is it just me or is Nevada quite a big mod when it comes to content?
It has a lot of interesting stuff in there.

Optimist

Savant
Patron
https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads...llout-nevada-team.120266/page-29#post-8843473

https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads...ut-total-conversion.96203/page-7#post-8690433

My thoughts on Sonora and Olympus.

My TLDR is I liked sonora, but not as much as 1.5 or nevada. Olympus is kind of crap but maybe still worth playing if you're really craving additional fallout content.

Thanks! Yeah, I was looking at Olympus, but it didn't really feel like what I was looking for.

It's quite big! It's been a while since I played F2, but I'd say it was much closer to it when it came to amount of content than F1. One big, dense city, two smaller ones, ~7 Klamath/Den-size locations and a few additional facilities. It also adds new guns and surprisingly workable crafting mechanics.

Krivol

Magister
until I grabbed a power fist from Machete which I quickly upgraded.
first Power Fist can be obtained in Black Rock for (IIRC) 3000 cash.

Frankly, it feels as though the game was developed with energy gun users in mind.
Yep, that's also my opinion. Turbo Plasma Rifle can be obtained via quest (well, regular PR but you can upgrade it easily), while Gauss Rifle can be grabbed only if you are nasty and by the very end of the game (just before the train trip) and ammo is - well - a bit tricky if you don't know what to do. For big guns there is no bozar here and I think a regular minigun is the best (never played with BG so I may be wrong).

OTOH pulse rifle and a shitload of gauss rifles (with bullets) can be got during random encounters (but not on the main path!) XD.

Metal Armor mk 2 upgrade can be done in NR IIRC... Combat Armor can be found in Salt Lake if you use a radio and metal detector somewhere.

Yep, ending in Nevada, Sonora (well, here at least you have some big choices) and (IMO) Resurrection are so-so at best.

True, I have played 3 times and still don't know if the infection can be fatal - usually used doctors or medicines from time to time to avoid fucking up my char.

IMO it's a bit smaller than FO2. It's hard to say actually as every city is packed with quests and other activities.

I guess I might take a shot at Sonora, then, AFAIK it's by the same author, right?
Yep. It's worth trying. It feels a bit smaller than Nevada, but also more focused. I loved the plot.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
One of the mods in Megamod package contains ability to strip armors from dead bodies. I do remember old version that let you strip adv. power armor MK2 (you read that right) from the corpse near crashed verdbird.
Stripping have skill requirement and top one needs ~150-180 in Repair AND Science so it wasn't free stuff either.
However this mod was updated and you can no longer do that.
Which is kinda weird in a game where you can get normal adv. power armor in less than an hour... modders gonna modders.
Tried to edit the mod myself (downloaded from Mediafire repository and from Megamod itself), but failed to get desired result. Even looked for old version since 2009 or something like that - nothing.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
until I grabbed a power fist from Machete which I quickly upgraded.
first Power Fist can be obtained in Black Rock for (IIRC) 3000 cash.

Frankly, it feels as though the game was developed with energy gun users in mind.
Yep, that's also my opinion. Turbo Plasma Rifle can be obtained via quest (well, regular PR but you can upgrade it easily), while Gauss Rifle can be grabbed only if you are nasty and by the very end of the game (just before the train trip) and ammo is - well - a bit tricky if you don't know what to do. For big guns there is no bozar here and I think a regular minigun is the best (never played with BG so I may be wrong).

OTOH pulse rifle and a shitload of gauss rifles (with bullets) can be got during random encounters (but not on the main path!) XD.

Metal Armor mk 2 upgrade can be done in NR IIRC... Combat Armor can be found in Salt Lake if you use a radio and metal detector somewhere.

Yep, ending in Nevada, Sonora (well, here at least you have some big choices) and (IMO) Resurrection are so-so at best.

True, I have played 3 times and still don't know if the infection can be fatal - usually used doctors or medicines from time to time to avoid fucking up my char.

IMO it's a bit smaller than FO2. It's hard to say actually as every city is packed with quests and other activities.

I guess I might take a shot at Sonora, then, AFAIK it's by the same author, right?
Yep. It's worth trying. It feels a bit smaller than Nevada, but also more focused. I loved the plot.
It does have a more survival aspect to it. Ammo and quality gear are not as easy to come by as in Fallout 2.
Can pulse rifles and gauss rifles be found in random encounters?
Let me guess, bounty hunters?

Krivol

Magister
Nope... On random encounters in the mountains, you can find a cave. Sometimes in caves are geckos, sometimes molerats or even deathclaws.

But sometimes it has a full party of nasty people in combat armour.

They have all the candies.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Nope... On random encounters in the mountains, you can find a cave. Sometimes in caves are geckos, sometimes molerats or even deathclaws.

But sometimes it has a full party of nasty people in combat armour.

They have all the candies.
Just like in Fallout 2 then.
That's the "Robbers cave" you can rarely find on random encounters.

Beans00

Augur
Krivol Optimist

Nevada has the following Gauss weapons.

1. gauss pistol from the reaper, obviously only available end game.
2. gauss rifle from the sheriff in salt lake, obviously need to be evil to kill him or fail speech?
3. You can get a prototype gauss pistol in a random encounter near salt lake, it is a ship with a centaur inside. I went there and got it relatively early

EDIT, found a photo I sent to a friend back in 2021, the prototype gauss pistol and the encounter
unknown.png

4. APPARENTLY you can get the high level combat armour robbers in caves, like in fallout 2. I tried for a few hours and didn't get shit except fire geckos.
unknown.png

Last edited:

Krivol

Magister
1. gauss pistol from the reaper, obviously only available end game.
2. gauss rifle from the sheriff in salt lake, obviously need to be evil to kill him or fail speech?
3. You can get a prototype gauss pistol in a random encounter near salt lake, it is a ship with a centaur inside. I went there and got it relatively early
1. I know, it's literally endgame ;)
2. It's not much earlier. I have read techniques on how to obtain it earlier or non-lethal during my last encounter with the sheriff (I actually did that even if I was using fists mostly - I passed a speech check, then sneaked behind him and critically hit him in the head. He fell down and I took his gun and escaped. No one was hostile towards me when I went back).
3. Tanker is not that easy to find (only Salt Lake, I believe a high level is needed) and I am not sure if this gauss pistol is any better than a sniper rifle (which is the best small gun until you get gauss IMO).

From Russian wiki: gauss PPK5 damage: 10-20
Sniper rifle: 14-34

Mind you sniper takes 2AP more to shoot! So gauss pistol is still a decent support weapon.

Still - energy guns are just better; both as a support and main gun.

Turbo Plasma: 35-70 (and ammo under every rock)
Gauss rifle: 32-43 (ammo heavy limited, gun obtained during endgame)

It's also worth mentioning that plasma rifle is also not that easy to find - actually, the only plasma you can find without grinding random encounters is one quest that can be finished quite late (I might be wrong about this, but please feel free to correct me).

deama

Prophet
Are there any fallout 2 mods with an enclave campaign? Like you joining them and rebuilding in, idk, canada or something.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom