Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout Fallout 2 is way worse than I remember it.

Alphons

Cipher
So you could say that Fallout 2 is an utter tripe ??

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I hadn't played Fallout 2 (or 1) in several years, mainly because I remembered it mainly for the awful interface, bad controls (using skills on things requires selecting the skill from a menu or memorizing the hotkey, even though the game has an expandable context menu and most items have only one or two applicable skills)
I sure miss the times when this was a forum for actual PC gamers...
Wait, what.
These fucking freshlings, I swear...

Should not have allowed new registrations after April 2007.

Codex Year of the Donut
Replayed it a couple years ago and really enjoyed it, not sure what your problem is.
Just make sure you use sfall and are aware of its less advertised features(e.g., it can speed the game up, I think the shortcuts are the numpad +/- keys, there's a mod to auto-open doors instead of having to click each one, etc.,)

Last edited:

Orud

Scholar
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
The original X-COM had a worse interface, but is still a great game. I can only advise that you learn to take some bad with some good, because else you're going to miss out on some real gems.

As long as a UI doesn't actively fight you all the time, you shouldn't care that it's a bit obtuse. And if you have difficulties remembering stuff (like the skill index), write the table down on a piece of paper or display it on a second screen.

Last edited:

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
Lol, 1-8, B, C, I, P, space and Enter. You can do literally everything with that + one mouse click. You can even do logical combinations to quickly save and load. The ui looks nice and there's no space wasting or shitty nestled tabs/unnecessary information hiding. Yeah, inventory sucks, but it's not a modern trash collecting game and you get the car so pretty much always all you need is ammo, healing items and a quest item or two. Obtuse interface, hurrr, can't remember, durrrrr. And the traditional "there was no stupid shit or lame jokes in F1, only muh serious grimdark" posts on top of that. Fucking kill me already.

Shadenuat

Arcane
I feel I have enough CLOUT, enough REP on here to say this:

New Vegas sucks.
Well, it is in the end F3 gameplay/engine, which is why actually playing most of it really does suck. A bad shooter with ugly characters on ancient engine. But if we'd hate RPGs on basis of having bad gameplay/combat, what would be left to play?

Except Pathfinder, that is.

Polyphemus

Educated
I played it for the first time last year and it's a somewhat uneven game—overly long and a step down from the first one—but probably still better than New Vegas. Overall I enjoyed it a lot.

Valdetiosi

Scholar
To start with, skill checks are fairly rare.

Out of everything you posted, this is my gripe with your post. How common would those skill checks has to be? Do you need a helpful tag at the beginning of sentence to know that this is a skill check? Do you want your XP bonus along with it cause clicking the option shouldn't be as satisfactory, it should also reward me for choosing such option.

If you really think about it, you'll be doing skill checks quite a while in the game, thanks to not being actionized FPS like the sequels.

zool

Arcane
I don't know what's up with this new trend that appeared a few years ago arguing that Fallout 2 and Baldur's Gate 2 are shit while Fallout and Baldur's Gate are great. I seem to remember that Vault Dweller was among the first to whine about how Fallout 1 was perfect and Fallout 2 ruined everything, while Lilura is the most vocal in her trying-too-hard criticism of BG2 as compared to BG1.

Both Fallout and BG were awesome, and we were fortunate enough that they got great sequels. Those used the same engine than the original games and stayed faithful to the originals in their art direction and gameplay while at the same time managing to strike a slightly different tone, thereby avoiding the classic failed sequels that do everything so similar to the original that they're more rehash than sequel.

Also, by offering more content and more epicness, Fallout 2 and BG2 do what sequels are supposed to do: giving you an even bigger and more impressive experience than their predecessor. They did lose some of their cohesiveness in the process, so that's a valid criticism but that is still far from making them bad games. I wonder how players would have reacted anyway if Fallout 2 and BG2 had offered smaller, more low-key gameworlds than their predecessors.

Of course, that's coming from someone who played both sequels before the originals. :dealwithit:

323191.image0.png

I had to memorize that for calculus 2 and you have trouble remembering. 1- sneak, 2- lockpick 3- steal 8-repair ect...?
This is a bit off-topic, but more than half of those equations are unnecessary. The fact that someone is memorizing all of that by rote is a good indication that they don't understand what trigonometric functions are.

deuxhero

Arcane
To start with, skill checks are fairly rare.

Out of everything you posted, this is my gripe with your post. How common would those skill checks has to be? Do you need a helpful tag at the beginning of sentence to know that this is a skill check?

I'd expect skill to be used at least every hour of play, less is OK if they're impact. It's not like I'm missing skill checks because they aren't tagged, all the skill checks for Repair and Science in Fallout 2 are documented and checking shows the only one I "missed" was an alternate method of repairing the reactor, which was among the worst options even if you didn't need repair to do it (speech check gives most XP and has no cost, doing the robot puzzle doesn't require character skill, doing manual repair gives you a bunch of rads).

Viata

Arcane
323191.image0.png

I had to memorize that for calculus 2 and you have trouble remembering. 1- sneak, 2- lockpick 3- steal 8-repair ect...?
This is a bit off-topic, but more than half of those equations are unnecessary. The fact that someone is memorizing all of that by rote is a good indication that they don't understand what trigonometric functions are.
You don't need to memorize a single one of those equations. Draw a circle and a triangle is all you need to find all of them.

mondblut

Arcane
Fallout 1: grim atmosphere, brilliant soundtrack, fight for your and your fellow vault-dwellers’ lives, well-written antagonist, violence that works for the story, sense of discovery.
Fallout 2: pop culture references, comical violence, caricatural antagonist, unclear reason for the Arroyo tribesmen not to go to the neighboring cities and settle there, music is still good partly because of reusing the previous soundtrack.

Sounds like incline.

(in before "but but muh spirit of the wasteland, reeee")

Nutria

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
It might help if you actually progress beyond Vault City to places where there actually are important skill checks. That's nowhere near halfway through the game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom