Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout 1/2– Gifted should be a Mutate! exclusive trait

blessedCoffee

c3RyYWl0amFja2V0cyBmb3IgaW50ZXJuZXQgdXNlcnM=
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
The Gifted trait is so unbalanced I wouldn't be okay about starting a new game with it, so from now on I'm gonna pretend it's not an option in the 'create your custom character' screen.
Now, in a scenario where it is an exclusive trait for players that took Mutate! after leveling up, I feel that this perk requires an adjustment, because normally you unlock it at level 9. I believe it should have an higher level requirement, like 15.
Hrm, maybe a lower level requirement, just for vanilla Fallout 1 – because it's harder to reach level 15 when you cannot keep playing the game (you're not asked if you wish to keep playing after the credits roll, like in vanilla Fallout 2).
That way, I see myself making use of this trait. I've an huge issue how they implemented the trait.

Another thing, this is more of a nitpick, than something that I think needs to be changed urgently:
I never liked that you can't drop a specific stat back to 1 (directly in the character screen I mean, not by using drugs). Depending on the build you're playing, you don't care for a certain stat. They're commonly referred as 'dump stats', but I doubt people aren't familiar with it, who hasn't read at least one guide online, looking for character builds?
When a player entertains using an external program because they got used to having such an option (only way of permanently decreasing a stat to 1, after they got the trait, IIRC), I think it's safe to say you (developer) could've done a better job, after having this idea for a character trait.

Lance Treiber

Educated
I have come to a conclusion that some perks are too OP, as well. And my solution is to offer them depending on your game difficulty.
In fact, if you play on hard, you start at 18 years old with little life experience and no traits.
At medium, you're 25 and one trait under your belt.
At easy, you're 35 with two traits, why not. (and some of them may be OP)
Still better than "gamejourno difficulty".

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
I play the game with Combat Difficulty on "Rough" and I noticed enemies like to take more aimed shots against you.
That being said, Gifted is one of the very few worthwhile traits, with Fast Shot being a close second.
Gifted makes sense because you are the Vault Dweller and Chosen One respectively, you need to have some uniqueness and a feeling of being chosen by destiny.

Jigby

Augur
If you use drugs, gifted is a really *crappy* trait. You're gimping your skill progression for stat gain that's easily reproducible with drugs. Besides, there are stats that beg to be lowered e.g. in tough fights you pretty much always want to use psycho for the +50% DR. Well psycho also increases AG by 3, no reason not to start with AG of 8, or 7.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
If you use drugs, gifted is a really *crappy* trait. You're gimping your skill progression for stat gain that's easily reproducible with drugs. Besides, there are stats that beg to be lowered e.g. in tough fights you pretty much always want to use psycho for the +50% DR. Well psycho also increases AG by 3, no reason not to start with AG of 8, or 7.
I only rarely employ Psycho.
I should use it more often.
The skill loss of "Gifted!" can easily be offset by a high Intelligence attribute, which you should have, because it is one of the most important attributes, second only to Agility.

Jigby

Augur
The skill loss of "Gifted!" can easily be offset by a high Intelligence attribute
Not really, you're capped at IN10 and IN10 w/o gifted has a much better progression than with gifted. It could only be offset if there was no upper clamp on the stat. And again, that stat gains effect can be reproduced with drugs and you're not losing a trait slot.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
Mutate should be the result of a random encounter instead of a perk. Most of the perks and traits in Fallout needed a balance pass.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
You're gimping your skill progression for stat gain that's easily reproducible with drugs.
Are drugs useful? I only used them a couple times, but after 2-3 uses you get addicted and all your stats go down, you become a useless gimp. Then it takes a LONG time to get better. During that time, you're incapable of killing a fly.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
Most of the perks and traits in Fallout needed a balance pass.
Agreed. They could do a lot more than they're doing. In F1 you spend a perk on getting -1 AP to access inventory in combat. Thankfully in F2 it's -2 AP with one perk.
Same could be applied to a lot of them.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
You're gimping your skill progression for stat gain that's easily reproducible with drugs.
Are drugs useful? I only used them a couple times, but after 2-3 uses you get addicted and all your stats go down, you become a useless gimp. Then it takes a LONG time to get better. During that time, you're incapable of killing a fly.
You can use them to gain access to certain perks if you normally lack the necessary Attribute score.
For example you want Sniper (which requires a Perception of 8), but you have a Perception of 7. Take a Mentat and there you go, you can now take the perk at the proper levelup.

Jigby

Augur
Are drugs useful?
Jet is crap, others are useful. The effects are long lasting, you can just take psycho+buffout+mentats at the start of Military Base and finish it without incurring any penalties easily. Same goes for Navarro, Enclave, Redding Mines, Cathedral, Hub... whatever. Addiction effects with the exception of Jet are weak + you lose the Addiction status after some time (i.e. just by travelling from one place to another) and if by some chance you find yourself in a fight with the Addiction effect still present you can just take the drug to remove the addiction effect temporarily.

I'm not advocating for taking drugs in every encounter, just the obvious combat focus maps like Raiders, Military Base etc. Other encounters like the scorpions in Broken Hill mines are too easy and can be dealt with no DR and AG8... The effects are long lasting, even in FO1 you can do the deathclaw quest + assasination quests + killing Decker on a single dose of psycho + mentats.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
30a.gif

Better not to do drugs.
I also use Mentats in Fallout 2 to gain an additional companion slot.

Lance Treiber

Educated
Why? I mean why have companions at all?

If you play as a crippled character to make things more challenging, but then alleviate said difficulties by getting companions, then what's the point?

For roleplay reasons? There's barely any interaction.
For combat reasons? They shoot you in the back and need to be cared for like a tamagotchi.

I'm making my own Fallout and I'm thinking no companions.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Why? I mean why have companions at all?

If you play as a crippled character to make things more challenging, but then alleviate said difficulties by getting companions, then what's the point?

For roleplay reasons? There's barely any interaction.
For combat reasons? They shoot you in the back and need to be cared for like a tamagotchi.

I'm making my own Fallout and I'm thinking no companions.
Sulik, Cassidy, Marcus, Skynet, Cat Jules (if you play with the Restoration mod).
Companions are not awesome, you say?

Quatlo

Arcane
I've played a lot of Tactics in multiplayer, 2000 and 5000 points was the "experience and items" cap. Mutate into gifted was one of the go-to powerbuilding gimmicks to have as much skillpoints as you can on level 12 if you had a char that really depended on skills to be useful (sneak, for example). For example, 5 TGH/5LCK/9AGI. Don't pick feats, mutate into gifted, 3x toughness and you saved a lot of skill points that'd be wasted otherwise with gifted.
Starting with gifted is a noobtrap for people that then cry about too many skillchecks because they just dumped everything into barely-useful Small Guns and one non-combat skill for that "precious" 1 AP point more.

Serus

Arcane
Patron
In Fallout 1 and 2? Are you guys serious? They are easy games, only a couple of skills really matter, other are simply nice addon to the "experience" and a few are useless. If you are a noob, all you really need is a single good weapon skill and reasonable action points. EVERYTHING else is optional. Weapon skill might be optional too if you already played the game but then speech probably won't be. Sure, additional skills allows for more quests and interesting quest resolutions and additional fluff also make the game even easier.
Gifted in definitely NOT a noobtrap even if it is sub-optimal in certain circumstances... Noobtraps are taging only useless skills or perks (there a few, we talked about them before in other threads) instead of something that matters. Also certain attributes.

In short, to make Fallouts 1 and 2 have any difficulty to speak of you need to gimp yourself by not using several options, Gifted is only one of them and, as some people pointed out, not even the worst offender.
If making it a mutate trait - change its name to "Mutant Gifts" or something similar.

Those are still great games though - despite being on the easy side.

Serus

Arcane
Patron
In short, to make Fallouts 1 and 2 have any difficulty to speak of you need to play it ironman
fixed
Never tried however i don't see them good at IM. Too random in combat. Not enough options to mitigate the randomness. So it would be either dying from random rolls or steamrolling everything. Good IM games are about weighting and mitigating risks.
However i might be completely wrong.

Jigby

Augur
Never tried however i don't see them good at IM. Too random in combat.
Randomness can be easily mitigated by abusing AI. Fallouts are fine for ironman. Randomness is quite bad in speedrunning though, bad restocks, unlucky random encounters, bad criticals during the Horrigan fight. Horrible games for speedrunning :)

Arbiter

Scholar
Gifted is easy mode.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom