Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RTS Falling Frontier - a hard sci-fi game, combining RTS and simulation elements

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Someone said this is a one man team? Shiiiiiieeeeet.

Putting Homeworld 3 to shame and then some.

ropetight

Savant
Quite apart from the amazing production values, the guy has an eye for spaceship design too. I'm trying to keep a lid on my hype for this, but it's hard :)
It is best to keep the lid down, since delay of release to the 2025 was anounced at the end of the last year.
Hi everyone,

With 2023 coming to a close, it is with a heavy heart that I have decided to push back the
release of Falling Frontier to 2025. This was not an easy decision, and I understand some of
you will be disappointed by this news. We've had a lot of significant progress this year with the
revamped combat systems and overhauled ship designs, thanks to the addition of a new artist
to the team. Unfortunately, due to some health issues within my family, I've had to step away
from development for periods during this year which ultimately pushed me to delay the release
year to 2025.

Thank you, as always, for your support and understanding during this time. I hope to have news
about the state of development soon, but otherwise, please enjoy the holiday season, as I look
forward to giving you the next update in 2024.
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1280190/view/3890609082436489030

Someone said this is a one man team? Shiiiiiieeeeet.

Putting Homeworld 3 to shame and then some.
Yeah, kind of unbelievable, but I decided to leave

There is also Nebulous: Fleet Command, with more focus on realism and steep learning curve.
Not looking as good as Falling Frontier, but if it gets solid tutorial and campaign, it will be another good alternative to Homeworld 3.
It is in EA for almost a year, and it had bunch of updates since I looked at it last time.

When it rain, it pours - we haven't had good space RTS since Sins of the Solar Empire, and we will get at least three solid entries in short time.
It is good they fill different niches of SF (galactic space opera, hard SF in multiple systems and Sol) and gameplay style.

Last edited:

ropetight

Savant
Longer (13min) gameplay trailer showing:
  • Intro cutscene, ok made with atmospheric music and lots of radio chatter
  • Managing fleet before mission - choosing ships, their armamanet and equipment
  • Some ships are designated as stealth - it will be interesting to see if stealth mechanic will be implemented properly
  • Strategic map of Sol, seamless zoom to tactical view and jumping to destination
  • Gathering resources from asteroids
  • Setting patrol route for frigate
  • Using colonies and stations for observation
  • Planetary bombardment

Last edited:

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
I've said it before and I'll say it again.

If this game is even 6/10 good, it's a Homeworld 3 killer.

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
This is still being developed by a single person? It looks impossibly good for such meager resources.
Manor Lords is also developed by one guy. Mad lads.
Nope! You're just used to shitty programmers and designers in modern gaming. Imagine Young Tim Cain being teleported into 2020s with modern development tools, programming languages, engines, code libraries, documentation, AI models and Steam market platform. Combined with Early Access for early cash injection, so you don't have to downsize scope of your game when you inevitably run out of money

Actual good programmers who also are decent designers with available tools can be digital magicians. Problem is: that 99% of modern Devs have never opened book about C programming language. Can it be THAT simple?! It is mofos :)

ropetight

Savant

is it just me or has he totally redesigned the look of the ships, how hyperspace looks, how mining looks and maybe works and probably a bunch of other stuff? Game looks amazing.

The game constantly gets upgraded, it was looker when it was first shown, but now is breathtaking.

In the first trailer ships with rotating middle part of hull were shown; don't know if they are replaced by this design.
New ship design looks more refined and militaristic, with better visible turrets.
There is also question of factions - maybe there is a faction that uses more improvised hardware.

To be honest, it is not that hard to make space game beautiful - it takes a bit of simplicity, not oversaturating everything with neon soup nebulas.
Just compare the looks of older Star Trek movies with newer ones - older ones, despite technical limitations, look more majestic.
Making space look like traffic rush metropolitan area looks claustrophobic and not realistic at all.
It is in part caused with not understanding or being able to display mind-boggling scale of space, and this guy at least tries.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom