Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Development Info Fallen Kingdoms announced

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Fallen Kingdoms; Warthog: Texas

<A href="http://www.warthogtx.com/">Warthog: Texas</a>, formerly <i>Fever Pitch Studios</i>, is hard at work on making a new Action CRPG for both the PC and consoles. You know, because the world just can't have enough RTS developers making Action CRPGs these days, but anyway, it's called <A href="http://www.warthogtx.com/unleashedPR/Fallen_Kingdoms/pages/overview.html">Fallen Kingdoms</a>. Here's a list of the features:
<br>
<br>
<ul><li><b>Stunning 3D World</b> - 3rd-person with rotating camera, parallax bump mapping and self-shadowing create hyper-realistic environments.</li><li><b>Advanced Visual Effects</b> - Particles, animation, sound, and lighting interact easily with a node-based editor and playback system.</li><li><b>Reactive Combat Choreography</b> - Characters dodge, jump, and parry in synchrony with attackers. Chairs get thrown, higher ground provides advantage.</li><li><b>Systemic Environmental Reaction</b> - Fire ignites and spreads, objects serve as weapons or shelter, magic alters the landscape.</li><li><b>Branching Quest System</b> - multiple quests and subquests are available at one time.</li><li><b>Morality System</b> - Your actions alter the outcome of the story as well as affect character interactions throughout the game..</li><li><b>Threaded Loading</b> - No load between maps.</li></ul>
<br>
<b>Exitium</b> is going to love this game. The three top most features are about the graphics!
<br>
<br>
Spotted at: <A HREF="http://www.homelanfed.com">HomeLAN Fed</A>

Spazmo

Erudite
"Branching Quest System - multiple quests and subquests are available at one time."

More than one at a time? Wowee! And hey, free parallax bump mapping.

EDIT: Hey, Fallen Kingdoms... aren't there already like twelve games with that name? It sounds really familiar to me.

taks

Liturgist
and yet another action-rpg.

did i mention that i played the demo of I, Of the Dragon the other day? where on earth, i wonder, do they get the impression that there's any role-playing in that game? i'm not kidding. it's a cool game to play around with but c'mon, the one thing it definitely does not have is the role-playing aspect.

my point being, does this action-rpg thing simply mean that because your character advances in levels and gets stronger (stat progression, etc.) the game is automatically an rpg? is that how they're defining these? just because i call a turd a rose doesn't mean it won't stink when i smell it...

taks

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
New Hype Kiddies said:
Stunning 3D World - 3rd-person with rotating camera, parallax bump mapping and self-shadowing create hyper-realistic environments.

I honestly don't understand what is parallax bump mapping and self-shadowing, but the descriptions are so vivid i'm already salivating with the prospect.

Reactive Combat Choreography - Characters dodge, jump, and parry in synchrony with attackers. Chairs get thrown, higher ground provides advantage.

Someone's been reading the Bioware boards.

Systemic Environmental Reaction - Fire ignites and spreads, objects serve as weapons or shelter, magic alters the landscape.

So, can i cause a fire so big it risks trapping a city and its inhabitants, eventually killing them?

Branching Quest System - multiple quests and subquests are available at one time.

As opposed to what, only one quest and subquest available at every time? What?

Morality System - Your actions alter the outcome of the story as well as affect character interactions throughout the game.

Translation: if you say you don't want to marry the princess, the King will smack you and she'll ask you again.

Sorry, just had to vent.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
The one thing I noticed is that four of the seven features listed there are about the graphics of the game and only three are about the gameplay itself. That Branching Quest System description is something all CRPGs have, so I'm not sure why they even listed it. Even Diablo 2 with it's highly limited quest system had multiple quests being given at any time.

Greenskin13

Erudite
Bing bang, I saw the whole gang.

Wow, another Bud Spencer fan. I love that crazy man-bear. In one of the Trinity movies, about a half dozen guys jump him in a bar fight. He throws them all away except for one little guy still clinging on to his back. Trinity asks him "Is he coming with us?" and Bud finally notices the little man, who nervously slides off his back and makes a run for it. Hilarious.

You have to see this, there most iminent releaseWrath and Skeller:

THE FASTEST ACTION RPG

AND THUS THE MOST FUN

Simplified RPG Mechanics - Wrath & Skeller takes the “fun” elements from the RPG genre and simplifies them to focus on the fun. Character development and customization are easy to manage and understand, satisfying casual gamers and hard-core fans of the genre.

How the hell do these idiots have so many games in development when all of them are incomprehensibly shit concepts.

Bobbin

Novice
Re: Bing bang, I saw the whole gang.

Greenskin13 said:
Wow, another Bud Spencer fan. I love that crazy man-bear. In one of the Trinity movies, about a half dozen guys jump him in a bar fight. He throws them all away except for one little guy still clinging on to his back. Trinity asks him "Is he coming with us?" and Bud finally notices the little man, who nervously slides off his back and makes a run for it. Hilarious.

I think here in Germany everyone saw these movies in his childhood. On second thought I really wonder why there haven't been any games devoted to them until now, these were basically todays mindless action games as movies - but with a lot more charm and story.

Avin

Liturgist
this game will suck. four sentences for graphic effects? what about storyline?

oh, we use to see old terence hill + bud spencer movies here in brazil too.

Gwendo

Augur
What the hell?!?!

People are already judging the game by it's ad? Why must it suck just because the feature list focus on graphics?

Aren't you the same that are also talking bad about other games because... Their graphics suck?

I must confess I never been in a forum where most people are negative.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Gwendo said:
People are already judging the game by it's ad? Why must it suck just because the feature list focus on graphics?

Because when the majority of features they can point to as a selling point of the game are the graphics, then there's obviously not a lot of gameplay elements.

Aren't you the same that are also talking bad about other games because... Their graphics suck?

I can't remember the last time I faulted a game for it's graphics when the gameplay was good. As long as the graphics are functional, and it's a really great game, I'm happy.

I must confess I never been in a forum where most people are negative.

Your confession is noted.

Seven

Erudite
I thought that standard forum policy was to tell people like that to piss off, has our policy changed already?

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Well, Seven, you have to realise that the majority of RPG forums out there are populated by basement dwelling pussies. That's why most forums are tame. In fact, this is probably the only one without hundreds of guidelines on why you shouldn't offend the jackass who pretends to be an ogre that refers to himself in the third person or whomever. We also don't have any female moderators that all the dorky guys fawn over because that's the only interaction they get from the opposite sex. Meanwhile, those female moderators are around 500 pounds and think the "C" in IRC stands for "Cybersex".

So, yeah, if a newbie notices this forum is a little different from most RPG forums out there, I'm not going to complain too much about that.

Fez

Erudite
It's always been a misconception that this place is nasty to new people or just plain mean to developers, as far as I have seen when people get into an argument it is either entirely of their own making or it is enjoyed by both sides, as they keep coming back for more, and when a game gets trashed, it is because it was trash to start with.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom