Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Falcon 4 BMS updated to 4.33

TripJack

Hedonist
here's some month-old news for you faggots

New Things & Updates In 4.33
This is a monster update, so I’ll try to be brief here. Each major feature could be an article in itself. The primary source for this changelist is the excellent updated documentation included within the /docs Falcon BMS 4.33 release install.

Platform Update. BMS now comes as a 64-bit executable. The recommendation is now to move to 64-bit as it allows access to more of your PC’s resources. Note: you’ll need to multiplayer with people on the same platform as yourself, e.g. x64 with x64. Multiplayer also has a new installation check anti-cheat provision.

Due to the platform change, existing mods and missions may need to be redone. There are some new tools to help with conversion out.

Graphics Update. Many of the 3D models and skins have been updated, and new features include wing flex, wing vapours and additional weather effects such as rain and snow. F4 is an old title, and its renderer does show its age a little, but not enough to distract from the depth of play.

Terrain Update. Falcon BMS 4.33 comes pre-installed with a hi-def Korean tile set (Korean TvT). Modern PC hardware can handle it easily and frames-per-second are very healthy. Down low the mesh is a little simple but new things like the autogen trees do help out.

Weather Modelling. Dynamic weather has been improved, with very detailed capabilities via new tools to simulate real-world conditions. The depth here really adds to the feel of the missions and the randomness gives things a fresh look.

Avionics. F-16 avionics are now configurable per-block, with a Avionics Editor supplied to individually tweak each block/variant configuration and set-up. The latest blocks have improved RWR and are EGI equipped. There’s also some new toys to play with:

• Targeting Pod includes use of laser codes and IR and Laser Spot buddy FAC ops.
  • Updated Sensor Point of Interest (SPI) realism.
  • Terrain Following Radar (TFR) and Forward Looking Infra-red (FLIR) when the LANTIRN is fitted.
  • Player bubble updates for longer range attacks.
  • Harpoon, SPICE, Main-in-the-loop, Inertial Aided Munitions have been added/updated.
  • Phew!

Multiplayer. Reduced stutter in game, as well as some nice features for network sharing things like pilot head position, flight surfaces and the like.

AI and ATC. AI has now been improved in terms of climb profiles and energy management. The AI ATC has been drastically improved, included a new added ‘Autonomous Approach’ option for when you want to quiet the tower.

New Tools and Configuration. Extensive new mission, weather and export tooling. Here’s an extract from the manual with links to all the new tools (an article in itself!):

The Mission Commander is useful for its ability to convert TE files to Falcon BMS 4.33.

Documentation. The docs have been extensively updated and provide enough material that if printed you could swing a mean weapon. There’s all sorts of checklists, airfield diagrams and ops manuals to work through. The BMS docs team have done a great job and I’ve got a lot of reading to do.

Flyable Aircraft
Primarily Falcon BMS 4.33 is about the Falcon, and over 20 variants are modelled. Other aircraft have 3D pits and complex models, but the F-16 is the ‘parent’ of the flight modelling and avionics. Here’s a quick list of the flyables in-game:

• F-16
  • F/A 18 Hornet (with Naval Ops including Carrier)
  • Mirage 2000
  • A-10A/C
  • AV-8A/B Harrier
  • F-15 Eagle
  • Tornado
  • JAS-37 Viggen
There are also some simpler flyable versions of the following aircraft that aren’t quite as complete as the above set, but still incorporate 3D models and basic flight models:

• F-4 Phantom
  • F-14 Tomcat
  • MiG-29
So congratulations to BMS on the release!

Download (have to register on their forum): http://www.bmsforum.org/forum/showthread.php?23313-Falcon-BMS-4-33

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
And still not playable because you cannot start engine with 1 button click like in a normal game (il2 1946).

bonescraper

Well, kinda. You need the image at least. Or you can simply go legit, and buy this. Falcon 4.0 is included in the extras, because it's not officially supported (vanilla game may not work at all). But it works with 4.33.

Last edited by a moderator:

TripJack

Hedonist
unless they changed it for some reason from 4.32 all the BMS installer needs to see is the original falcon 4 executable

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
Got up and flying I think in a Warthog. Shot some Korean civilians up. The sim is quite smooth, but it's so dated looking. Kind of disappointed there aren't more elaborate training missions, unless I'm missing something.

Endemic

Arcane
Got up and flying I think in a Warthog. Shot some Korean civilians up. The sim is quite smooth, but it's so dated looking. Kind of disappointed there aren't more elaborate training missions, unless I'm missing something.

There are 30 training missions in stock Falcon 4, designed to be played in conjunction with reading the manual.

bonescraper

:hmmm:

This game is called Falcon for a reason. The mod offers more aircraft, but the sim is only good for F-16 simulation, everything else is subpar. It's the best and most comprehensive F-16 sim ever, but if you want to fly the warthog, just fucking get DCS...

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
No, dude, from the game's main menu the very first training mission sticks you in an A-10 for some reason. Believe me, I was a little surprised to look out the cockpit and see those two massive engines just to the aft. You also have no control over the aircraft at all until after the sim auto-taxis you out there and takes off for you. I was hitting every key on my keyboard in befuddlement until I suddenly discovered the A key disabled autopilot (which is a very jarring experience).

I know this sounds a little popamole, but I've always liked extensive, step-by-step, even voiced training missions in my sims to get me up and running. I've also always been a willing and eager manual reader, but since the days of ditching those and forcing you to sit there and wade through the .pdf version I have to admit I do rely more and more on in-game/sim training. It's sad, really.

I'll take another look at the training missions. Maybe somehow I selected the wrong one, but I don't think so. I mean it's the very first one listed.

bonescraper

Looks like they changed the training missions in 4.33? There was a nice comprehensive step-by-step F-16 tutorial before, that taught you all the basic stuff. Engine start-up procedure, avionics, systems, taxiing, take-off etc. That's odd.

Endemic

Arcane
Looks like they changed the training missions in 4.33? There was a nice comprehensive step-by-step F-16 tutorial before, that taught you all the basic stuff. Engine start-up procedure, avionics, systems, taxiing, take-off etc. That's odd.

That's why I said stock. They had a mission just dedicated to SAM\MANPAD evasion, for example.

Crispy, I recommend you uninstall BMS and get comfortable with an unmodded Falcon 4 install (make sure its patched to 1.08). Go through the training missions with the manual nearby (starting from Chapter 1, 1-3), then try flying in the campaigns for a few hours once you understand the basics. Short of joining the military, this the closest you'll get to flying the real thing and it is fiendishly complex, even for those of us used to flight sims. There's a reason the manual is 600 pages, written by an actual USAF flight instructor and discusses real world tactics.

This is what you should see in the original menu, under tactical engagement:

RhaLT70.png
hkgDQ27.png

Those are the training missions. BFM = basic fighter maneuvers (for air-to-air combat). You might want to go into the options menu and turn down the realism to begin with, and perhaps even use invulnerability for the combat training until you get the hang of the F16's systems.

Crispy
They updated the training missions for 4.33 and added a pretty nice pdf... See Falcon BMS 4.33\Docs\Falcon BMS Manuals\BMS-Training.pdf. Later missions are not complete though.

You sitting in an A-10 sounds like an error though, are you sure you installed everything right/pressed the right button? See Falcon BMS 4.33\Docs\Falcon BMS Manuals\BMS-Manual.pdf for instructions.

are you sure you installed everything right/pressed the right button?

Download from the link provided, extract, install, point to the .exe and launch. There's nothing to screw up.

After opening one of the TEs, you have to select the correct mission (the one with role=training)...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom