Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fahrenheit and Heavy Rain

SearchEngine

Learned
Hi, I'm new to the Codex so don't hurt me.:)

In any case, I like the adventure genre and I often see these titles come up in discussions. Folks argue about their quality and whether or not they're adventure games. Codex, what d'you think? Are these titles worth checking out? Story-wise, uniqueness?

Angelo85

Arcane
Patron
I guess both games are good in their own right.

Mild spoilers, better not be clicked in the office:
Fahrenheit:
carla.jpg

Heavy Rain:
459031%20-%20Heavy_Rain%20Madison_Paige.jpg

Astral Rag

Arcane
Great games for people who adore QTE's and miserably failed attempts at mature writing, they're even less worthy of being called adventure games than the The Walking Dead game. Just play a proper point and click adventure.

Deleted member 7219

I really didn't like Fahrenheit. Except for the boxing. I liked that sequence.

Heavy Rain is great, though. It succeeds where Fahrenheit failed for me - interesting story, no indigo child derp, good characters, and some really awesome moments which are all about player choice. What ending you get depends on what choices you make throughout the game, so it does have C&Cs. The soundtrack is really good too. Lastly, the graphics are probably the best I've seen on the PS3.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
:hmmm:

4:30 minutes of QTE, in a really retarded scene, just to achieve nothing? FFS, you just killed any interest I had in this game.

Berekän

A life wasted
Patron
Haven't played Heavy Rain so I can't comment of it, but avoid Fahrenheit at all costs, there are no words to explain how fucking terrible it is.

Borelli

Arcane
So you dodge furniture for four minutes:retarded:? Holy shit that would be bad QTE or not. Still i have heard good things about fahrenheit but every time i think about getting it i remember all the bad things i heard too ...

Ok people REALLY need to stop randomly putting tidus laughter in youtube clips, it's becoming the new rick roll.

Jvegi

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
There is a lot of fun to be had in Farenheit. If you're the sort of "person" who can't accept action in their adventure, then it's not for you, but if you don't mind, then you should definitely try it. It should become apparent pretty quickly whether you're into it or not.
It's something different, you can't really judge it before you play it. QTE's generally suck, but I didn't mind them in this game, because they were used to tell the story. Pretty engaging one, although it is kinda retarded.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Fahrenheit has at the beginning a superb atmosphere and the mystery was very intriguing, it reminded me alot of the Jane Jensen games, it was a murder mystery with supernatural elements, but half way through the game they decided to make a Matrix ripoff with completely nonsensical story, it is like they fired the writer when the first half was ready and to cut costs they decided to contract a heroin addict who could only write completely high, it is like Walking Dead but with horrible QTEs and crazy story.

Deleted member 7219

Fahrenheit is awful but don't let it put you off Heavy Rain. Heavy Rain feels like it was made by a completely different group of people. The gameplay does revolve around QTEs and walking around investigating things, but the QTEs are actually well done in this. I don't want to spoil it but some of the QTEs involve you putting yourself through extreme agony.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
QTEs are agony by definition. A fucking plague on gaming that should be eradicated along with minigames.

Utgard-Loki

Arcane
heavy rain is just as retarded as fahrenheit, in both story and gameplay, but fahrenheit at least gets so retarded that you might have fun laughing at the whole mess. heavy rain on the other hand just consistently stays dull and boring. you're better off just watching a let's play of it, but even then the complete ineptitude of the dude writing the dialogue and the actors performing his garbage might turn you off very fucking quick.

SearchEngine

Learned
I think that clip that Astral Rag put up tells me what I, um, need to know about some of the QTEs in Fahrenheit. I'm guessing there are many moments like that. Is Heavy Rain that wretched at its QTEs as well?

wwsd

Arcane
Vatnik
Haven't played Heavy Rain. Fahrenheit offers some nice ideas, but with horrible execution. It's not just a matter of "accepting action in your adventure", it's the fact that, as the video abundantly demonstrates, there are just some incredibly retarded and intrusive QTEs. Another memorable one is when you're getting exposure in the form of a séance, and this is accompanied by a similar QTE, but at a leisurely pace. Totally pointless, not challenging, except for the fact that it prevents you from paying attention to what's going on. Indeed, in all the action sequences, I can hardly see all the Matrix stuff that Lucas is doing, because I'm only looking at which buttons I need to push. I can also hardly understand what's fun about alternately mashing left and right.

I played the PC version of Fahrenheit, but it still uses rather typical console-style third-person controls. Not good when you're struggling to conceal a murder, like in the beginning of the game. I do like that kind of thing, though. The whole "There's a dead body in this room and someone is coming" thing is not as original as I once thought it was (Fahrenheit received a bit of preview hype in the magazine that I read at the time), but it's still cool. I liked how you sometimes need to act quickly in both dialogues and actions. The descending sanity was also nice, although I'm not sure if it really affected anything unless you really fucked up (it's been a while though, so correct me if I'm wrong).

Unfortunately, even if you get through the mother of all annoying QTEs, the story just goes full retard with the whole Matrix ripoff and the hobo resistance movement. They had mysterious ritual murders, Mayan legend and the whole background of the world slowly freezing over (another cool idea on paper), and they managed to fuck it up in the end. Very disappointing.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Even though I am a storyfag, something about QD's games rubs me wrong. And even if I mange to overlook the laughable "gameplay" and the despicable QTEs, I find the story-telling itself, obnoxious. All their stories feel like pretentious shallow bullshit written by hipster manboys.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Here's an actual good Fahrenheit adventure game... Fahrenheit 451!

Played it back in 't3h day.'

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
The only good thing about Fahrenheit is letting the characters break down mentally in various ways. Like with the tough cop chick and her claustrophobia.

The only good thing about Fahrenheit is letting the characters break down mentally in various ways. Like with the tough cop chick and her claustrophobia.

They really missed an opportunity for C+C there. Sure, the character will suicide if their sanity gets too low, but otherwise there's no effect on the game's ending. The only thing which determines the ending is if you lose one of the end-game fights - you get the good ending if you win both fights, the mediocre ending if you lose both fights and the AI-takes-over-and-kills-everyone ending if you win the first boss fight and lose the 2nd (meaning that the AI can take over unchallenged by the illuminati).

There was nothing wrong with having action elements in the game - but they weren't action elements, they were musical fucking quicktime events. As in you can't actually play those sequences looking at the action and judging - you have to watch the quicktime circles so you can copy the right musical sequence. It's the most bizarre separation of gameplay from what's going on on the screen that I've ever seen - it masquerades as an action/stealth sequence but actually has more in common with guitar hero (or 'simon says' for that matter).

It's a pity, because as a story game, the first 2/3 were pretty good. I liked the early mystery/mindfuck story of the first third, and I still liked it when the main character was only semi superpowered - i.e. where it's more a matter of him being ultra stealthy and acrobatic and being on the run from the cops rather than being able to take everyone in a standup-fight. I also thought they did a decent job of keeping the 'earth slowly freezing over' aspect subtle - it's readily foreshadowed if you pay attention to the weather reports in the background, but otherwise they do a good job of having it creep up until it's made clear at the end that travel between cities has become impossible, contact with northern towns has been lost, etc. I agree that the story takes a nosedive in the last third - really as soon as the main character switches from being on the run, to being the superman of quick-time events.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom