Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

F.3.A.R. v.s. Thi4f

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
Since Thief is a basically all about sneaking I'm sure they looked at what made the Metal Gear Solid series so great too.

Thi4f - Tactical Espionage Action.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
DraQ said:
Of course, if we are discussing dungeon crawling as game's strength, Daggerfall simply grabs Oblivion by the neck and feeds it cock 'till it dies.
BC didn't ask about Daggerfall ;) otherwise yeah dungeon crawling in both Arena (MQ only) and Daggerfall beats Morrowind and Oblivion.

I'd probably rate Morrowind's crawling higher too, TBH, if only because of exploration involved and handplaced goodies hidden away in almost unreachable places.
For these elements, definitely. I never could get into dungeon crawling in Morrowind because the dungeons were just too damn small. They worked great as an extension of the overworld in terms of exploration, lore and cool goodies tucked away in hard to reach corners that you could still find if you payed attention to your surrounding. As pure dungeon crawls however they ended before the dungeon atmosphere had any chance to settle in (except for a few of the longer ones)

DraQ

Arcane
Sceptic said:
For these elements, definitely. I never could get into dungeon crawling in Morrowind because the dungeons were just too damn small. They worked great as an extension of the overworld in terms of exploration, lore and cool goodies tucked away in hard to reach corners that you could still find if you payed attention to your surrounding. As pure dungeon crawls however they ended before the dungeon atmosphere had any chance to settle in (except for a few of the longer ones)
Yes, but there were some that were sized appropriately - See Urshilaku burial cavern and those rocked. Even some small ones often had interesting accents - a dead guy with a key and a note pointing to another tomb, items associated with the person's life lying next to or on top of the urn, etc. Plus, Morrowind's dungeons usually made some sense and felt like real locations, the larger ones displayed a sense of epicness through the use of z-axis - spacious caverns and imposing vertical structures - see Urshilaku burial, the forge of Hilbongard or the cavern at the end of first MQ dungeon.

Oblivion's dungeons, although more approprietly sized, mostly lacked sense of purpose and truly memorable accents, as well as any opportunities of exploration. They usually consisted of a single "track" looping over itself near the exit. The relative lack of themes, with plain "cave" somewhat aesthetic, if cliched, "elven ruin", and downright corny "EVUUUL plane of OBLIBIANS!!!1" doesn't exactly look impressive when compared with daedric shrines, Dwemer ruins, tombs, mines, 6-th house bases and ancient strongholds.

If we speak about dungeon themes, sense of purpose, exploration and epicness, Morrowind rapes Oblivion. If we speak about their sheer size, how convoluted they are, and dungeon crawling experience, Oblivion looks downright silly compared to Daggerfall. Either way, it fails.

DemonKing

Arcane
Well the ending of Thief 3 may mean that Garret is not the main (or only) protagonist in Thief 4.

I was sorely disappointed with FEAR2.

The original FEAR was a balls-to-the-wall action splatter-fest with awesome weapons, gore, physics and multiplaery that started as a PC exclusive before being ported to consoles.

FEAR2 was the exact opposite of the above. :roll:

What I've seen abour FEAR3 so far is not encouraging.

Black Cat

Magister
@ Darth Roxor

I can quite see it, somehow: "No amount of red tape and regulations will save you this time, woodsie lord. This time... it's Personal." And he already comes with an eye mod thing, like a match made in heaven. I'd play that, yessir. And be honest, you would play it too. :P

* Vile Heretic *

@ DraQ

I got my hungry paws on those mods and am currently, say, acquiring Morrowind. Would you recomend some of those player made dungeons there are in the mod depositories and stuff?

Also, is there something to make Daggerfall less, like, ugly? Being a total dungeon crawling fan and geek i really want to get into that bloody game.

Santander02

Arcane
There's Dagger XL ( http://daggerxl.wordpress.com/ ) but it looks like it will take a while until it is finished, you can download the beta but I don't know how good it is, those screenshots do look lovely tho'.

dxl_changetime4.png

dxl_ver014_4.png

dxl_ver014_2.png

DraQ

Arcane
Black Cat said:
@ DraQ

I got my hungry paws on those mods and am currently, say, acquiring Morrowind. Would you recomend some of those player made dungeons there are in the mod depositories and stuff?
Would have to check them individually.

I generally don't have any landmass/location/questline mods barring Hagge (Polish only), and TR. Oh, and Juniper's Twin Lamps, but I wouldn't recommend it for a first time player. I'm pretty much an incorrigible purist when it comes to lore in games where it matters.
You'd do best if you didn't install any such mods 'till you beat the MQ with at least one character.

There is already a fuckload of locations to explore in Morrowind, as long as you abstain from using guides, walkthroughs, online maps and whatnot, you won't find everything this game has to offer. Just take it slow, soak up the atmosphere and lore, and don't exploit the obvious loopholes in the mechanics. Preferably don't use trainer NPCs either.

Also, is there something to make Daggerfall less, like, ugly? Being a total dungeon crawling fan and geek i really want to get into that bloody game.
Till the Dagger XL is complete? I recommend vodka.

Luzur

Good Sir
@ Luzur

I came back when someone asked about dark and sick or twisted games, or something, some time ago. I was passing through, saw it, and comented on Tecmo's Deception series. It was going to be a one post affair, coming back from the dead to post about almost unknown games and then going back to the underworld but i kind of stayed, though i do not post as much as before. Why, missed me? :3

half the codex missed you, if all the talk isnt proof enough.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Black Cat said:
Wait for DaggerXL. There's nothing else that has any remote chance of seeing the light of day. The DaggerXL guy seems pretty serious though, he's been working on the engine (initially with DarkXL only) for years and while his work speed varies a lot he at least seems to consistently come back to his projects.

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
DemonKing said:
Blood was a balls-to-the-wall action splatter-fest with awesome weapons, gore, physics and multiplaery unlike that POS FEAR

FIXED and I couldn't agree more.

deuxhero

Arcane
Black Cat said:
I hope the rumor is true and instead of playing as Garret you play as that girl from Thief 3's ending, his adopted daughter or apprentice or whatever it was, in Thi4f. The butthurt would be delicious, and the nerdrage would shake the pillars of heaven.

I don't exactly see anything wrong with that (as long as she is fully dressed, which I doubt would happen). It would be better than figuring out another way for Garret to lose his stuff.

Not that the game won't suck for a number of other reasons.

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Darth Roxor said:
FEAR was awesome.

You guys suck.

The only good thing about it is a few ghost sequences that take up 5% of game time, the other 95% is shooting boring enemies with boring weapons in boring maps.

YOU SUCK!

The Wizard

Educated
fear was alright. could have been better if it didn't stick to office building type locations, though.

concerning morrowind mods: galsiahs character developement, morrowind graphics extender(if only for widescreen, aa and af) and maybe less generic npc project.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Speaking of MGE, I understand ( maybe wrongfully?) that it replaces the vanilla shaders with its own. Is this true? or can you just tell it to use the regular Morrowind shaders?

MaskedMan

very cool
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Haba said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JeLoGlV6GFY

Oh sweet...

Kyrie, eleison.
Christe, eleison.
Kyrie, eleison.
Christe, audi nos.
Christe, exaudi nos.

Pater de caelis, Deus -- miserere nobis!
ah what the fuck i couldnt watch the homefront trailer cause of the "inappropriate" flag bullshit and i cant watch this either goddammit :godimsomadtheyremovedthissmiley:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom