Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline EXTINCTION EVENT

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Golden Era Games
Übermensch Developer
Listen to this nigh perfect sound narration at the start of my Resident Evil clone apocalyptic horror game.

This guy's voice is perfect and exactly what I imagined he should sound like.

This is the legendary tin foil helmet guy I previewed many years ago when I built the character.

The opening cutscene he is sitting on an empty subway train trying to get out of the city.

Please let me know if you can see this link here : https://clevelandmarkblakemore.substack.com/p/982673d3-9903-41f9-99b4-a25c5c439928

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Good writing but those AI voices are soulless imo

my Resident Evil clone apocalyptic horror game.

Why are you changing games every 6 months? First it was Cyclopean Chasms, then a vehicular RPG with mutans, then an Elminage Gothic clone, then this

Or are you working on 7 games? Or are you still deciding which ones to work on? So many questions

Bastardchops

Augur
Patron
It sounds very generic. You could probably do a better job using your own voice. But tinfoil helmet man fleeing a city during the collapse is a good setup.

thesecret1

Arcane
It's generic, but good, which is miles above what most indies can afford in terms of voice acting.

Bastardchops

Augur
Patron
It's generic, but good, which is miles above what most indies can afford in terms of voice acting.
Good voice acting doesn't cost anything other than the creator, and we're talking about a full blood neanderthal here, just giving it a bit of character, just channeling a bit of the terror he felt fleeing the savage land of Australia. That, I'd say would immediately engage a new player more than average AI output.

thesecret1

Arcane
Good voice acting doesn't cost anything other than the creator, and we're talking about a full blood neanderthal here, just giving it a bit of character, just channeling a bit of the terror he felt fleeing the savage land of Australia. That, I'd say would immediately engage a new player more than average AI output.
Dunno how good Cleve is at VAing, only can speak for myself, and I know anything I'd voice act would sound like dogshit. It's a skill like any other, and one has to put in the time to practice if he wants to be any good at it.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Clive could channel his experience of terror of fleeing Australia vaccine patrols going around and force vaccinating the population.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
I will say Cleve that I adore your writing in Grimoire, you are really skillful, no joke

Less is more is one of the keys, I believe

baboogy

Literate
Hello Cleve, eagerly waiting on your next game to come out, huge fan of Grimoire but I think that goes without saying for those following this subforum.

Have you considered for your RE style game, going the way of prerendered backgrounds for the art style? Or do you think the gameplay limitations outweigh the aesthetic found in them? When I think RE style horror games, one of the aspects that most stands out to me is the flavor that the prerendered backgrounds add to the game. To try to put it into words, there is something very dreamlike about the way they look, particularly in RE3, realistic but not quite "real", that added a lot to the horror atmosphere in the original trilogy.

That coupled with the difficulty in navigating around a real time environment with tank controls and constantly shifting camera perspectives gave the games (at least in my opinion) kind of a muddled nightmarish feeling, like you're wading through a murky imitation of a dream world you can't wake up from.

d5ruqzu-7ae4634e-f93a-47d1-9ebe-b20da11e5b71.jpg

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Have you considered for your RE style game, going the way of prerendered backgrounds for the art style?

LOVED this about RE2 as a kid... gave it a comic book feel... I was disappointed that they went with "over the shoulder" cam BS with the remake (sheeple loved it ofc)

baboogy

Literate
Have you considered for your RE style game, going the way of prerendered backgrounds for the art style?

LOVED this about RE2 as a kid... gave it a comic book feel... I was disappointed that they went with "over the shoulder" cam BS with the remake (sheeple loved it ofc)
It makes sense, from a marketing standpoint, why they didn't stick to tank controls and fixed shifting cameras- the RE1 remake still looks gorgeous and holds up graphically even by today's standards, but it's a hard sell for many people due to the camera and controls, those are really the two biggest complaints I see from people who have never played the original RE1-3 playing them for the first time today, to them it feels and looks "clunky."

I'll admit I did like the RE2 remake quite a lot (not so much the RE3 remake) but I agree, the "what if" feeling of wanting to see what they could have come up with with today's technology + prerendered backgrounds and fixed cameras nagged at me. I would have loved to see an alternate remake for either of the games that kept the OG limitations. Or to see someone tackle a true spiritual successor in the original style someday.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
but I agree, the "what if" feeling of wanting to see what they could have come up with with today's technology + prerendered backgrounds and fixed cameras nagged at me.

It was awesome because of weird angles (and nowhere to run)

Very, very artistic approach, I loved it

baboogy

Literate
but I agree, the "what if" feeling of wanting to see what they could have come up with with today's technology + prerendered backgrounds and fixed cameras nagged at me.

It was awesome because of weird angles (and nowhere to run)

Very, very artistic approach, I loved it
Have you seen the user created mod someone made, that changed the remake cameras to the old style ones? I've been reluctant to try it because it seems a bit janky of an implementation, but I haven't kept up with it for a few months, could be significantly better now.

MerchantKing

Learned
AI generated voices sounds like bad voice actors. It still has that microsoft sam quality of continuously speaking with no regard for cadence, no inflections, nothing resembling the nuance which having to breathe brings, and no passion. Pretty much just microsoft sam with a difference voice.

You might as well stick to text-based dialogue. It's better that way. Voice acting was a bad thing for video games.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom