Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Exploring The Witcher 2: Combat

sser

Arcane
Developer
MetalCraze said:
And God of War's combat is worse because hipsters on Codex told you so?

Any combat is better than rolling around and twitching LMB until your finger bleeds.

But do keep finding excuses for TW2's primitive combat.
In God of War you at least use different tricks.

It's worse because it's a terrible fighting system. God of War got by on its violence and cinematics, not its combat.

Witcher 2, which is an RPG no less, has a superior fighting system. The ability, and very need, to use traps, bombs, knives, magic and swordsmanship trounces GoW. It also trounces DMC4 for me, but I was never into juggling enemies.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
DMC being skyway's standard still making me lol IRL. OFP and ARMA2, of course, are good standards. DMC, though? Lol, get the fuck out of genres you don't belong in, son.

Edit: Lol at using different tricks in GoW. Fucking Twticher2 sucks because you can't break a shield with strong attack like every other stereotypical shitty twitcher, what a piece of shit.

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
Switching to shieldbreaker weapon to break shields into pieces in GoW is a complex high level strategic decision and in character with setting mythology and Krato's powers as a god of war

Not needed to switch between several weapons and just spamming rolls or catching armored opponent offguard with your sword is brainless dumbed down consoletard shit that only codex hypocrites who have no idea how melee combat works will love

AlaCarcuss

Arbiter
sser said:
MetalCraze said:
And God of War's combat is worse because hipsters on Codex told you so?

Any combat is better than rolling around and twitching LMB until your finger bleeds.

But do keep finding excuses for TW2's primitive combat.
In God of War you at least use different tricks.

It's worse because it's a terrible fighting system. God of War got by on its violence and cinematics, not its combat.

Witcher 2, which is an RPG no less, has a superior fighting system. The ability, and very need, to use traps, bombs, knives, magic and swordsmanship trounces GoW. It also trounces DMC4 for me, but I was never into juggling enemies.

This. Notice skyway never mentions anything else but the (A)wesome button and lack of combos. That's not what TW2 combat is all about.

It's about preparation, positioning, tactics and using the tools at your disposal. I wasn't too sure about it at first, but now I'm loving it.

Mrowak

Arcane
Project: Eternity
AlaCarcuss said:
It's about preparation, positioning, tactics and using the tools at your disposal.

Yes and no. The first section of the game is very much about the things you've mentioned - preparation and positioning are they keys to success. Cool! Unfortunately, later on these elements cease to be essential. You can easily win most of the fights unless you really mess up. There's also the issue with your human enemies changing stance from attacking to defensive on the fly - it is hard to feel out the right moment to strike with some of them. Sometimes the animation makes it seem that the opponent let his guard down, but he manages to block each of your strikes easily regardless of your efforts.

What really bothers me is that the boss battles are annoying as hell. 8/10 times their difficulty stems not from the boss itself but from the fact you cannot prepare for the battle accordingly e.g. there are so many encounters with the goons and the potion effects will have worn off by the time you reach the boss - and you cannot jug a new dose on the fly. More importantly the consolish feel of these battles does the game great disservice.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Mangoose said:
DMC being skyway's standard still making me lol IRL. OFP and ARMA2, of course, are good standards. DMC, though? Lol, get the fuck out of genres you don't belong in, son.
DMC and DMC3 are some of the best action slashers of all time so I'm not really sure what you're laughing about. Witcher 2 with all its clunk and arbitrary, poorly-thought out talent system isn't comparable.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom