Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Expert says: Singleplayer games gone in 3 years

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
MetalCraze said:
I also suggest you to try and read something else besides IGN and Gamespot ads and maybe you will find good new games.

Hard to believe I know.

Actually if he read Gamespot and IGN he'd believe that there's a GOTY released every week, and that the RPG genre has never had it so good.

MetalCraze

Arcane
commie said:
Actually if he read Gamespot and IGN he'd believe that there's a GOTY released every week, and that the RPG genre has never had it so good.

You mean like 99% of people on the Codex incl. you?

J1M

Arcane
DwarvenFood said:
Shannow said:
CDS SPREAD RISK THUS LOWERING IT!
IF RICH PEOPLE HAVE TO PAY TAXES THEY WILL NOT BE MOTIVATED TO WORK ANYMORE!
INVEST IN GOLD. IT'S THE SAFEST INVESTMENT EVAR!

monthly_dollar.gif

Not all that bad an investment.
The price of gold is actually over $1700/ounce right now.

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
clearly this fucker has never had the pleasure of a pubbie pug game

these predictions are about as visionary as looking at what makes money and saying HERE IS THE FUTURE OF THINGS TREND MINDSHARE CLOUDTHINK

seriously bros what's really being said here isn't about singleplayer, it's about monetising access to games

now that the idea of paying for playing for something regularly has been associated with online games and thus entrenched itself with consumers of course these fuckers are going to try their best to ditch the old pay once per game model and milk the new era of immensely profitable game subscriptions, addiction based game mechanics and virtual vanity products that have practically no overhead to mass produce or maintain

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
J1M said:
DwarvenFood said:
Shannow said:
CDS SPREAD RISK THUS LOWERING IT!
IF RICH PEOPLE HAVE TO PAY TAXES THEY WILL NOT BE MOTIVATED TO WORK ANYMORE!
INVEST IN GOLD. IT'S THE SAFEST INVESTMENT EVAR!

monthly_dollar.gif

Not all that bad an investment.
The price of gold is actually over $1700/ounce right now.
I wouldn't call investing in a commodity whose price is at an historical high to be particularly "safe".

MetalCraze

Arcane
It seems people don't understand what's going on in that picture - but it shows that gold's price is jumps back and forth like mad and investing into it is madness.

Menckenstein

Lunacy of Caen: Todd Reaver
MetalCraze said:
It seems people don't understand what's going on in that picture - but it shows that gold's price is jumps back and forth like mad and investing into it is madness.

Gold is quite possibly the worst investment ever.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
commie said:
This is why I don't mind the decline in a way. In the end if all we have are the oldies there'll be mods and TC's released that are better than shit nowadays anyway such as The Dark Mod, Nameless Mod, all those Freespace mods etc. Still have dozens of RPG's to play for the first time, never mind all those I'd like to replay.
It also means you can buy a new PC in 3 years then never have to replace it again :smug:

DraQ said:
MetalCraze said:
I've been hearing about the death of single-player games from "experts" for a long time now
Rare moment of Skyway being completely right.
:salute:
:salute:

Captain Shrek

MetalCraze said:

Skyway, you did say that here. Don't say it elsewhere. Gold in one of those economic commodities that almost all ECONOMISTS agree is always a safe bait.

Gold_price_in_USD.png

That spike is an exception and not the rule. What the graphs suggests is that Gold inflates faster than currency and thus is better than (always) putting your money in bank, conventionally the safest bet in general.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
MetalCraze said:
J_C said:
I don't read ANY reviews for years now. I can find the games I like for myself.

But if all new games turn out to be shit anyway maybe you are doing something wrong?

Like, I dunno, not trying to at least learn something about them before passing the judgement?

Or do you enjoy playing shit games because I've actually seen you waiting for new ones which as you've said yourself are shit by default?
Are you trolling me?

Reject_666_6

Arcane
Hey, J_C, didn't you actually write reviews for some kind of Hungarian gaming magazine, or am I confusing you with someone else?

So PS3 has got this new, odd chat where you have a character or whatever you call these things, it's not actually a game so I don't know. So the first thing I did was to make a fat nigger and go on telling rape jokes to everybody whose character had female appearance, and they complained and complained and I was satisfied for a while. Then I discovered that if you sit close to somebody in one of these emote things, it looks like you're sucking their dick, so I did that for a while, too. But since this is not actually a game and you can't actually rape and kill people, I haven't touched it since.

But then again you can't really do that in any MMO I'm aware of, you certainly can't do that in Conan online even while that world is all about rape and murder... Though apparently there's at least one funny way to be a jerk : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-rl3RPC_Mw

Some time ago I talked some guy into beating up somebody who was hitting on his girl, and he just launched like a catapult right over a couch at that guy (I don't know why I did that). What the fuck can you do in these social bullshit sites and games, call somebody a fag? Boring!

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Reject_666_6 said:
Hey, J_C, didn't you actually write reviews for some kind of Hungarian gaming magazine, or am I confusing you with someone else?
I don't know if you are confusing me with someone else, but actually I do write reviews for an online magazine. www.ipon.hu But not under the name J_C.

Flanged

Scholar
Demnogonis Saastuttaja said:
So the first thing I did was to make a fat nigger and go on telling rape jokes to everybody whose character had female appearance, and they complained and complained and I was satisfied for a while. Then I discovered that if you sit close to somebody in one of these emote things, it looks like you're sucking their dick, so I did that for a while, too.

This is the key to understanding online multiplayer. This is the future.

Demnogonis Saastuttaja said:

That's quality though.

Renegen

Arcane
Captain Shrek said:
MetalCraze said:

Skyway, you did say that here. Don't say it elsewhere. Gold in one of those economic commodities that almost all ECONOMISTS agree is always a safe bait.

That spike is an exception and not the rule. What the graphs suggests is that Gold inflates faster than currency and thus is better than (always) putting your money in bank, conventionally the safest bet in general.

What I find strange Captain Shrek is your complete 180 in these two sentences. You say that all economists agree it is a safe bet but then you also say that when adjusted to inflation, gold is at an all time high and therefore risky investment. Where's your position?

Personnaly, I don't think anywhere close to almost all economists like gold. And while I wasn't around in the 1970s to understand exactly what drove the spike, I think something real is happening now where gold is considered a "safe" asset again by investors. I mean central banks, large institutional investors are all buying it. These actors use long term predictions to make investments, so they must see some long term shifting trends.

Captain Shrek

Renegen said:
What I find strange Captain Shrek is your complete 180 in these two sentences. You say that all economists agree it is a safe bet but then you also say that when adjusted to inflation, gold is at an all time high and therefore risky investment. Where's your position?

If something inflates faster than currency that means its a good investment! Whats so hard to get???

Renegen

Arcane
Captain Shrek said:
Renegen said:

If something inflates faster than currency that means its a good investment! Whats so hard to get???

Oh right. I now understand your position better. You are completely clueless about investing. For your information, the reason why anyone is investing in gold is because it is seen as a "safe" asset. People are dumping the US dollar (and by definition Treasuries) to buy the gold. Gold may become the next "risk free" asset, which is very different from buying stocks that can go up 10-20% a year. And commesurate with being a "risk free" asset, the returns for gold should only marginally be better than the inflation rate, comparable to Treasuries minus the currency risk.

In other words if you can put the puzzle together, gold could be due to a big correction. Just a friendly warning bud, you are the sucker in this one, just like technology stocks and houses.

Captain Shrek

Renegen said:
Captain Shrek said:
Renegen said:

Oh right. I now understand your position better. You are completely clueless about investing. For your information, the reason why anyone is investing in gold is because it is seen as a "safe" asset. People are dumping the US dollar (and by definition Treasuries) to buy the gold. Gold may become the next "risk free" asset, which is very different from buying stocks that can go up 10-20% a year. And commesurate with being a "risk free" asset, the returns for gold should only marginally be better than the inflation rate, comparable to Treasuries minus the currency risk.

In other words if you can put the puzzle together, gold could be due to a big correction. Just a friendly warning bud, you are the sucker in this one, just like technology stocks and houses.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom