Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Expeditions: Rome - the final Expeditions game from Logic Artists

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
The second major strength of this game is the C&C. Reading the guides and walkthroughs after I finished I was surprised with all the possible paths my run could've gone. Not gonna spoil here, let's just say your choices do matter a lot.

For all the Codex' purported touting of C&C, they should be all the fuck over this series, especially Vikings. C&C is kind of sprinkling for me since I'm mostly a combat and character customization fag, but these games do C&C very well.

Larianshill

Arbiter
Is there actually that much CC in Vikings?

Do Power route, get a bunch of content about conquering British Isles and becoming king.
Do Prosperity route, get jack shit for content.

I guess the game recognizes it if you knock out the chick with the butterfly tattoo instead of killing her when you invade Pictavia.

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
This game is 60% off, a mere £14. Honestly is it worth biting?
SvhRHlF.png

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Is there actually that much CC in Vikings?

Do Power route, get a bunch of content about conquering British Isles and becoming king.
Do Prosperity route, get jack shit for content.

I guess the game recognizes it if you knock out the chick with the butterfly tattoo instead of killing her when you invade Pictavia.

I've replayed the game a few times. There are definitely different choices/decisions to be made for outcomes of quests. Sometimes the consequences are systemic (eg lose reputation with a faction, party member loses morale, party member gains morale), sometimes the consequences include different rewards. Sometimes there is something scripted eg the outcome affects another quest down the line. It's not a high budget game, I think it does a good job for the budget it was made with.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
The second major strength of this game is the C&C. Reading the guides and walkthroughs after I finished I was surprised with all the possible paths my run could've gone. Not gonna spoil here, let's just say your choices do matter a lot.

For all the Codex' purported touting of C&C, they should be all the fuck over this series, especially Vikings. C&C is kind of sprinkling for me since I'm mostly a combat and character customization fag, but these games do C&C very well.
because the codex likes c&c only when there's no real gameplay standing in its way
RetardedDancingDonut.gif

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I liked Vikings, you can be a barbarian in it.
Conquistador I am hesitant to play because once I went to sleep over a battle loading screen and six hours later when I woke up it was still loading.

Alphons

Cipher
Started it recently on Hard and there's a really cool game under all these half-baked ideas.
Were they rushed by THQ or cryptobro devs wanting to wrap it up quickly and pump out their "NFT experience"?

Gladiator is a totally useless class aside from provoking enemies.
I could use them for that I could just take a useful class that can run through the entire map to the objective or kill 7 guys in 1 turn.

Half of skills are similarly ass- do you want to finish a KOd enemy and deal 10 morale damage to close enemies or rush through the entire map and bleed out an enemy commander making every enemy instantly retreat?

Legion battles are in that annoying spot where they're too complicated to just click through them, but not in-depth enough to be fun.

Equipment is annoying with the different loot rarities that give you +1% to crit. They should have stuck with just regular items and rare uniques or the scrap upgrade system from Conquistadors.

Why make the MC the Legate? The story would've worked way better if MC stayed just Speculatore and had Lucullus or someone else issue them the missions.

Main companions are OK for the most part, but I don't care about the randoms. They should've had the main companions and a set roster of Praetorians without VA similar to the start of Conquistadors.

Levelling system should've been like in Conquistadors, with your party as a whole receiving XP and then you deciding to spend it to upgrade any character you want.

Combat is fun and challenging- harder than the Vikings but below Conquistadors.
Enemies also having access to tactical items is a big plus.
I see where they were going with the flow of combat by having your characters regenerate AP for killing militia and civilians, but because of that majority of fights have tons of trash mobs and enemy turns take ages until you trim them down.

I like the story for now, it sets up a few interesting hooks, but I'll have to see how they resolve it.
Had a few interesting choices, but they mostly hype up the consequences down the line (sparing certain characters or choosing sides), so no idea right now if it's as reactive as previous ones.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Gladiator is a totally useless class aside from provoking enemies.
As I said in my revioo, I think the morale system (and many other seemingly useless cc) might be great on Insane.

Otherwise yes, on lower diffs you're much better off just taking a veles or archer and chain-kill half the mobs in one round.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

I found Conquistador's combat laughably easy (like, top10 easy RPGs I've ever played in terms of the combat alone), while Vikings challenged me decently for the first third of the game.

Alphons

Cipher

I found Conquistador's combat laughably easy (like, top10 easy RPGs I've ever played in terms of the combat alone), while Vikings challenged me decently for the first third of the game.

The only difficult encounter in Vikings for me was the random wolf attack that can happen in Britain as you start in the middle of a mass of fast mobs, otherwise I felt like I was always ahead of the curve in terms of skills and equipment. Aside from wolves never used tactical items.

In Conquistadors I always had a healthy supply of barricades and lanterns/traps and used at least a couple in most encounters. Early on I had to often put scholars and extra doctors into combat as my soldiers were still being treated from previous battles.

Only later I had enough guys (Hungarian merc + Indians from Mexico), good enough medics and the cannon to avoid that.

Litmanen

Educated
Conquistador I am hesitant to play because once I went to sleep over a battle loading screen and six hours later when I woke up it was still loading.
Never had this problems with Conquistador and, as you can see from my avatar, I loved it. It's a jem, in my opinion.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Never had this problems with Conquistador and, as you can see from my avatar, I loved it. It's a jem, in my opinion.
Yeah well, the lack of hands on participation by the player character did not endear it to me.

Litmanen

Educated

I haven't played Vikings or Rome yet but, about that, I have to agree. I had some bad battles, sometimes, but generally if I made most of them on hard the, they weren't that hard. The one I found way more difficult than the others, was the battle for the fort (that after I haven't used for lack of money...). But in general the combat was funny, also challenging, but not that hard

Yeah well, the lack of hands on participation by the player character did not endear it to me.

I second that but I think the choice was made to give you the chance to go over with the game notwhitstanding the lost battles. So, it was to enhance and support the C&C system. You lose one/two/three battles but the game can be equally finished and the story will change because of those battles.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

This. One of the reasons I stopped Conq. half-way through. I loved the writing and setting but the game was just too easy and repetitive.

Viking was a decent challenge with crazy diff. spikes.

Only played Rome on Normal but felt it was perfect for me. Insane must be very tough and probably require a dramatic change of a playstyle.

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
That image is exactly what I thought of when I first saw this, yeah.

I hope the devs are happy with their DEI money because I'm certainly not paying for this.

Wasteland

Novice
This game is 60% off, a mere £14. Honestly is it worth biting?
SvhRHlF.png
Sorry, can someone explain me what is this about? I'm honestly not getting the reference/problem
Everyone knows that "Helvius Liberalis" would have been building futuristic technology in Wakanda instead of slumming it in a Roman legion. It's deeply racist for the game to suggest that this melinated gentleman of culture would stoop so low as to associate with Italians, particularly of the violent soldier variety. Also, the game misspelled "Shivontravius" as "Sagittarius," a desecration of the long and storied tradition of Brave Black Single Mothers Expressing Their Truth on their babies' birth certificates. Finally, the game commits an unforgivable crime by covering a BOLD BEAUTIFUL afro with what looks like William Shatner's toupée.

Codex naturally disapproves of such wanton bigotry.

Modron

Arcane
No point wasting energy on bait, there will be another 2022+ coming along with such OC do not steal hot takes in a few days.

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Viking does have some difficulty spikes. It is harder in Denmark because you don't have any crafted metal armor yet, so all your characters can be killed in 1 or 2 hits by lots of enemies. I've only ever played the game on Insane difficulty, so I'm not sure how much different lower difficulties are affected but you have to be very careful with your positioning because one wrong action can lead to a KO on the next turn if a character is out of position. Some of the toughest battles are the ones where you don't get the first turn. Positioning is key there, sometimes on the first try, you'll ace it, other times you pick your starting positions and lose 2 characters straight away.

Here's a good example actually from my (incomplete) Let's Play

First go I screw it up, but on the second go I metagame the positioning a bit more and have some luck with the RNG.

That particular battle is also super hard if you try and do it early, less so if you do it later (like I'm doing here).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom