Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Expeditions: Conquistador Discussion Thread

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Hm, on the News forum, TC and GOG itself it's presented as a tactical strategy but from the trailers and blurbs I'd say it's more of a RPG than anything else. Sort of King's Bounty style?

Why not both?

piydek

Cipher
Hm, on the News forum, TC and GOG itself it's presented as a tactical strategy but from the trailers and blurbs I'd say it's more of a RPG than anything else. Sort of King's Bounty style?

Looks great either way now if only it's bug free.

Yeah it's a really coherent mixture of adventure/exploration, resource management (on highest difficulties trade-offs in exploring really begin to appear, you really have to plan your resources and there's always something that can decimate your expedition - sudden disease and not enough doctors in expedition, lack of herbs for remedies, lack of food, lots of diseased/incapacitated members of expedition and sudden attack of some wandering pack of natives etc. Type of terrain also plays a huge role.) and RPG choices/consequences.

The game is bug-free enough now. It does crash to desktop occasionally on my system, but i have a really crappy system (a64X2 4600+, 2GB ddr400, 8800GT/512). I've noticed that my ram usage is way up there most of the time, so maybe that's the reason. Maximum texture resolution also kills my 512 vram, it seems. But all in all, it performs well enough even on that system.

anus_pounder

Arcane
One thing for new players. If you play your cards right, you can end up with 3 extra soldiers at the end of the starter island with one of them coming more or less at the start. Just something to consider when making your starting group. :)

EDIT: I wouldn't advise taking no soldiers at the start though. Or maybe I'm just too cautious.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Congratulation Avonaeon and all the other Danes at logic arts.
I won't be playing this straight away because I've got other stuff at the moment, but I did give the beta a spin and I'm looking forward to see how the game has evolved.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
No political correctness

That's cool. I was afraid there would be a "best" way to go through the game where your expedition is a bunch of dirty hippies that sing kumbaya with everyone they meet. Time to convert some heathens :rpgcodex:

piydek

Cipher
One thing for new players. If you play your cards right, you can end up with 3 extra soldiers at the end of the starter island with one of them coming more or less at the start. Just something to consider when making your starting group. :).

The cool thing is, if you enter the game with no such agenda as "playing your cards right" or "yielding optimum results", but instead just role-play consistently and see where it takes you, the game could be replayed a shitload of times and be able to give you quite different experiences.

piydek

Cipher
No political correctness

That's cool. I was afraid there would be a "best" way to go through the game where your expedition is a bunch of dirty hippies that sing kumbaya with everyone they meet. Time to convert some heathens :rpgcodex:

Absolutely not. Have no fear there. I played as the biggest bunch of dirty, crazy, psychotic, greedy, amoral, christian scumbags and the game supported that marvelously.

Whisky

The Solution
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
Seems pretty good so far. I enjoyed the demo and this seems to have improved things. I had some performance issues when exploring in the demo, but it's better now, though I still find moving around a bit awkward.

I just quit after getting a random encounter where a bunch of natives decided to ream me up the ass. I really didn't prepare well for that encounter though, so I can't say if the game is generally difficult or not, I hope it is. Losing the battle reminded me of Darklands, it's not instant lose, everyone got injuries and then after the battle ended, I got a description of one of my men getting killed off for real. There were also options before the battle that included use of the Tactics and Heal skills to improve your chances.

After losing to the natives badly, I think I might have to rethink my tolerant gameplay plan and go full Cortez.

As a trivial note, I liked the difficulty settings named after explorers. Aguirre as Insane difficulty made me chuckle.

anus_pounder

Arcane
Good god. That rebel attack at night. :x It didn't come this early in the demo. Survived but ended up with 4 wounded. Managed to treat 1 completely and 1 to harmless before I ran out of meds. Luckily, not only did I manage to get to town to buy more but I also got incredibly lucky and didn't get any health deterioration despite a >50% chance for the remaining two guys.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Absolutely not. Have no fear there. I played as the biggest bunch of dirty, crazy, psychotic, greedy, amoral, christian scumbags and the game supported that marvelously.

Now if only they did a Portuguese expansion featuring Brazil... so much potential for dumbfuckery in that one.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
One thing for new players. If you play your cards right, you can end up with 3 extra soldiers at the end of the starter island with one of them coming more or less at the start. Just something to consider when making your starting group. :)

EDIT: I wouldn't advise taking no soldiers at the start though. Or maybe I'm just too cautious.

Please explain in spoiler form, this appeals to my min/max nature.

Edit:
Expeditions: The Brazilian Slaughter?

Brilliant, not enough brofists.

:bravo:

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Got my ass kicked by the canoe indians. Then I played some multiplayer against one of the devs and lost.

Feels good to have a strategy game that's not too easy.

DeepOcean

Arcane

Now if only they did a Portuguese expansion featuring Brazil... so much potential for dumbfuckery in that one.
It actually would be interesting, the Portuguese, on contrary to the Spanish, didn't had the luck of conquering developed agricultural civililizations that had more enemies that they could count or plagues killing and crippling the majority of the densely concentrated native population. A Conquistador in Brazil would be very interesting, it would involve alot more of cunning diplomacy with the indians, exploit traditional hostility between tribes and trying to play a tribe against the other to stay alive and organizing expeditions, going where not other european had gone before. It would awesome, you commanding expeditions of hundreds of people to capture indians for slavery where most of the expedition was composed by indians (to lefties it would be a shock to know that the natives were far from being saints and had no problem in killing and making slaves from other tribes). The great advantage of the Portuguese in relation with the spanish or english is that because they didn't had the numbers or the resources, they needed the natives to secure their holdings against other europeans superpowers and agressive tribes, so in the end most of them ended up assimilated than outright exterminated like in North America.

goo golem

Educated
Man, the civilian shaking animation in battle is a nice and slightly unsettling touch. I gave them the option to surrender peacefully, surely Jesus Cristo will understand!

anus_pounder

Arcane

Please explain in spoiler form, this appeals to my min/max nature.

After all the introductory blah and tutorial fight, you get one soldier. Later on, towards the end of the starter island you lose this guy for a bit. After the semi final (story) fight of the island, if you played your cards right you can get that guy back as well as one more soldier. Then once you finish all the congratulations and are ready to leave the island, you can speak to and recruit one more soldier. Naturally, you can refuse each one of these soldiers when its time to recruit them as well, if you wish. Note that I don't necessarily recommend this. Of the 3, you only get 2 at the very end of the island and the other one leaves for a bit at around the 75-80% mark. Furthermore, early on you get attacked at night and are forced to kill about 10 or so guys or survive 10 turns. This battle doesn't leave much room for manoeuvring and if you're as tactically brain dead as I am it can be difficult to survive without a soldier or two. If you think you can do it, go ahead. Lastly, your 'tactics' skill level is boosted by the number of soldiers you have. With no soldiers, you'll probably have a hard time pulling off the tactical pre-battle choices which can be extremely useful. Hope that helps. :)

Kem0sabe

Arcane
After all the introductory blah and tutorial fight, you get one soldier. Later on, towards the end of the starter island you lose this guy for a bit. After the semi final (story) fight of the island, if you played your cards right you can get that guy back as well as one more soldier. Then once you finish all the congratulations and are ready to leave the island, you can speak to and recruit one more soldier. Naturally, you can refuse each one of these soldiers when its time to recruit them as well, if you wish. Note that I don't necessarily recommend this. Of the 3, you only get 2 at the very end of the island and the other one leaves for a bit at around the 75-80% mark. Furthermore, early on you get attacked at night and are forced to kill about 10 or so guys or survive 10 turns. This battle doesn't leave much room for manoeuvring and if you're as tactically brain dead as I am it can be difficult to survive without a soldier or two. If you think you can do it, go ahead. Lastly, your 'tactics' skill level is boosted by the number of soldiers you have. With no soldiers, you'll probably have a hard time pulling off the tactical pre-battle choices which can be extremely useful. Hope that helps. :)

Can't wait to get home and play this, was planning on going running with my brother, but fuck him, this takes precedence. :)

piydek

Cipher
Thats the spirit.

EDIT: How often you guys use doctors in combat?

Used them quite a bit later on in the game. I've had only one doctor in my expedition though. They're an absolutely indispensable unit. Basically, my combat setup always depended upon the situation i was going to find myself in.

Regarding the combat difficulty, i played on the hardest mode (didn't use the insane damage multipliers for enemy damage though) and there's about four or five battles I've encountered in the game that were quite hard and very very satisfying. But i wouldn't mind them being even harder, because with right setup and proper positioning and usage of barricades, traps and stuff you get further in the game, it's not that hard at all. The outcome really doesn't depend on luck, but really on (im)proper strategy. It's also very helpful to plan what certain members of your party are going to be doing in battle and develop their passive abilities accordingly. That way, you can set up very unique units that are suited to a particular role in combat.

EDIT:

I'd really recommend playing on the hardest mode. The game seems to have been meant to be played that way.

piydek

Cipher

I really hope the game does well and they make an expansion. It'd be a shame to abandon the premise they've created and not create more content in this same vein. This game would lend itself to a traditional expansion very well. An additional campaign. With difficulty ramped up, I'd really like to be up against something insane. In Peru. It'd even be a cool concept if the game was impossible to "win", but was a certain death, only a matter of time. I think that would really work in this game. I know the mainstream audience wouldn't like it but fuck them. And besides, this isn't exacly a game for mainstream audience anyway.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom