Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Evil Islands: Curse of the lost soul- First impressions.

Fenril

Scholar
While searching for some old rpgs that I havent tried I came across this one.
Russian made title, a bit...cheesy and the main character personality is..heh
but the game itself seems fairly interesting and unique.

I only played for a very short time, completed the first 2 missions in the first island and first village. The best way to describe this game would be "tactical rpg" or something like that.
The general control scheme is real time with pause. The game is in full 3d, the perspective is mosly isometric when it comes to the gameplay, you can zoom in and out and change the viewing angle slightly. The camera seems to work well enough and you can set it to center on and follow a specific character at any time. When in a village it zooms far out automatically and zooms in automatically to a close up side view when speaking with an NPC.

You have a world map, a "base" village ( there are supposed to be 3 stages in the game each an island with a village) and several connected individual maps. These maps contain several quest/mission objectives.You need to explore a certain amount of a map to unlock exits to others, but you dont need to kill everything or do every quest on that map to unlock them.
Quests are straightforward basic rpg fare but the game engine and the difficulty of the game (easy can be considered normal, normal is hard, especially due to the enemies critical hit damage range) make each challenging and interesting.

Stealth is important, careful movement is necessary, spells seem to play an important role. The game is harder than your average rpg, you need to consider things tactically and strategically to avoid getting killed. Scouting and plotting your course around the map carefully is also necessary. You can control up to 3 characters including the main PC.
The default control scheme and the interface are solid, you have a good hotkey layout for spells, weapons, movement type (running, walking,sneaking while crouched and crawling), game speed (paused, slow and fast). You can hit the pause to assign commands at any time. In melee you can target a specific bodypart with the numeric pad, the game tracks body part damage for both your characters and the enemies.

I think the game is mostly linear although I did not play enough to be sure. I believe there are no monster respawns, still you can pass through a map without exploring everything or killing every mob and I think there are quests that are optional.There are different ways to achieve mission objectives, at least when it comes to taking advantage of the mission map and other tactical choices.

Again I only played this for a couple of hours and this are just my first impressions along with bits of information I got from some reviews. I decided to post this since I think this is a fairly unknown title that seems worth playing.

Just dont expect deep player selected dialogue choices....or great voice acting for that matter. Still overall the game's production values seem decent. Noting too interesting or original about the story or setting, except maybe that you start in a primitive place where metal weapons have not been developed yet.

Some Screenshots here:

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/evilisla ... eader;more

ElectricOtter

Looks fun to waste a few hours on, although the graphics look like NWN.

Seboss

Liturgist
Can't remember much about the game except that it was a pretty decent tactical RPG up to the point it got so frustratingly hard I banged the keyboard on my skull repeatedly.

Gerrard

Arcane
I remember that the spellmaking system was very cool in theory but severely limited by the skills and/or required energy.

Fenril

Scholar
Word on the web is that spells are useful as support but you cant really rely 100% on them for combat and such. I havent gotten around to mixing runes or even item blueprints yet, so I dont know how good are those systems.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom