Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Everyone says it is shit...but I liked it!

Dr Skeleton

Arcane
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Spellforce 1 - I know it's not univerally panned but it's never received much love. It was admittedly mostly a gimmick for a hybrid RPG/strategy combination, but it certainly had its charm and entertainment. The sequel on the other hand was bland garbage and felt like Neverwinter Jr.
Gotta agree here, Spellforce 1 was alright. Mediocre RPG/hack and slash + bad RTS = pretty good game somehow. The sequel was shit, but I can't pinpoint why. I tried playing it twice, and I quit after 2-3 hours both times.
Number 2 is weird, The impact of weapons from heroes is confusing. And so far I burned through the RTS part with only archers.
Gotta check out 1 fo'sho.
I think I couldn't get into 2 because of how fast everything happens, it's like Spellforce 1 with ADD. When you get into the RTS part for the first time you immediately get cavalry that can travel the entire map in 10 seconds. Half the fun in 1 was slowly building your base and forces while exploring and defending with the hero. 1 was SLOW and I like it that way.
Also 2 gives you 3 immortal companions you can't get rid of. In 1 you can just sell the rune of anyone you don't like.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
VTM Redemption
ib1vTtxgnPmGEi.gif

Unless you turn on god mode (one of the disciplines...) and just bypass all the shit combat...

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
I want to like VTMR when it came out, but I ended up hate-playing it just to get to the end.
It looks cool on the surface, the script is kinda bad, but what's worse is the clicky combat gameplay.
If they had implemented autoattack like Baldur's Gate, it'd be more palatable.
I still remember the crashes fucking over some playthroughs cause the they used a checkpoint save system.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
The playstation re-imagining of Frogger. There's not really anything wrong with it as a game, but it took me 10s of hours over about 8 years for my sister and I beat it. There is no way it deserved that much dedication.

Also, the Simpsons Wrestling game. Apparently everyone hates this game. I thought the mechanic of spamming quick attacks or waiting for the bar to charge for strong attacks added an interesting dynamic.

Braid. Obviously most people actually like it, but it has a bad reputation on the 'dex and I found it to be a clever puzzle platformer.

thesoup

Arcane
E.Y.E: Divine Cybermancy
A truly:prosper: and :obviously: game at the same time. As codex is a place of refine and exquisite taste, this is not news to anyone. But let me remind you this game literally has a lower metacritic rating than the commandos FPS from 2006 which is beyond shit.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
I like NWN OC. And NWN 2 OC. Never played any of the addons. :dance:
I like NWN OC. And NWN 2 OC. Never played any of the addons. :dance:
*slaps face*

The NWN 2 OC wasn't -that- bad.. It's nothing to write home about but it still is enjoyable for me to play.. I also really like SoZ too as a good ol derp around adventure game.

NWN OC is definitely a one time play only for me.. It's so blehhh...

Ladonna

Arcane
The NWN1 OC....I couldn't finish it, even after attempting it on three different occasions. Boredom won each time.

Oh I have my next entry; Another War.

I played it, I enjoyed it, it had plenty of odd humour and the german soldier, Johann, that joins you has the funniest diary (that he fills in as you progress through the game) I have come across. It is one, big, wacky, strange game, and the WW2 backdrop just adds to the hilarity. If it wasn't for the rather shitty combat, I reckon the game might have been more popular...

Oh, and defeating the end game with a potato, don't tell me those Poles don't have a sense of humour.

Self-Ejected

Ludo Lense

Self-Ejected
This thread is soon gonna become full of Pillars of Eternity mentions :troll:

I am watching the hours tick away with slight dread. I plan on doing a video on it and I can see myself bitching for 10+ minutes about homogenization.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
BloodRayne.
Not many people like the series, but I happen to be quite found of it.
I'm just a sucker for B-movie inspired, over the top action.
Also, you get to control an experimental WW2 era mech in the first game, and it actually feels like controlling what a mech made in the 1930s would be. That's pretty neat.

The movies are complete shit though. No relation to the game at all. Even BloodRayne Betrayal was closer to the originals, and that's saying something.

DraQ

Arcane
Oblivion.
Unreal 2
Invisible War
:whatho:
The fuck is wrong with you, man?

A few days ago I clicked on the Oblivion soundtrack on youtube by accident (it appeared in the sidebar for God knows what reason). I started reading the comments as you do on Youtube, and all these youngsters were reminiscing about how Oblivion was the "last real RPG" and how games these days, like Skyrim, were nothing but watered down, soulless copies of that great gaming achievement that was Oblivion.
I couldn't fucking believe what I was reading. It was like one of those things people here used to joke about. I remember several posters jesting that one day a game as shitty as Oblivion would be held in high regard as some sort of "old school, hardcore gaming experience that we never see anymore these days". But I honestly did not expect it to happen.
What do ya know. This world keeps surprising you in shittier and shittier ways, doesn't it?

Anyways, carry on.
Its like when a Daggerfall fan accidentally clicks on a link towards the Morrowind soundtrack.

The Decline is eternal and knows no bounds.
I can only accept this preposition if someone shows me a non-bullshit, multi-item list of meaningful improvements in OB compared to its prequel(s).

I can produce such lists for all the other non-spinoff TES games that have prequels.

Otherwise:
I disagree. Oblivion is shitty in a completely timeless way.

Cadmus

Arcane
I liked Oblivion at the time (...) I still think it was less horrible than Skyrim
A good dumbfuck!! indicator, I think.
Maybe... or I just haven't played it again to compare it to Skyrim. I don't really care either way. Nowadays it's rare that I play any game more than once even if it's great because I don't have time for that shit so my attitude to these TES games has become a lax "everything is shit".

You're still the resident dumbfuck for defending Skyrim in every thread, I think.

DraQ

Arcane
I liked Oblivion at the time (...) I still think it was less horrible than Skyrim
Maybe... or I just haven't played it again to compare it to Skyrim. I don't really care either way. Nowadays it's rare that I play any game more than once even if it's great because I don't have time for that shit so my attitude to these TES games has become a lax "everything is shit".

You're still the resident dumbfuck for defending Skyrim in every thread, I think.
The thing is that I *can* defend Skyrim.
Can you defend Oblivion, even compared to Skyrim?

As for Skyrim, unmodded it's a model case of "good for what it is".

Last edited:

Cadmus

Arcane

The thing is that I *can* defend Skyrim.
Can you defend Oblivion, even compared to Skyrim?

As for Skyrim, unmodded it's a model case of "good for what it is".
All your defenses rely on ignoring all the dumbfuckery in Skyrim and highlighting the stuff that's subject to personal taste.
What about Oblivion should I defend.I don't like it now, I don't like the faces and the movement. You want me to name things it did better than Skyrim? It had attributes that did something, it didn't have dragons, it treated the player a little less like a total retard, it didn't have a disgusting washed out colour palette, most of the graphics were an improvement over Morrowind (I said most, shut up), it had better music than Skyrim, etc.. I think we've had this debate like ten times already and it always ends up the same - you like Skyrim because some part of your brain, that part that's responsible to being rightfully critical to Oblivion, is broken in some way.

Ladonna

Arcane
'Which turd is better? The dark brown or the mustardy off yellow? See the answers to this question and more coming up!'

Alfons

Prophet
Risen 2.
I remember liking the jungle island setting and the fact that you're a pirate, everything else was shit.
Not sure why I enjoyed it.:retarded:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom