Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

EverQuest in detail.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Finally learned how to research. My skill is 22 now.

L71ZB2b.png

As for mages, fells more like I'm an pyromancer than an elementalist. Rain of Blades, looks like Rain of fire

uInUJBz.png

So I will stay with my necro. Blood/Dark magic >>> fire.

I regret not trying EQ before because thay said that it is too similar to wow. It is similar to wow in some aspects? Sure, just like Oblivion is similar to Morrowind in some aspects. Morrowind is an way better and more immersive RPG. Same with EQ vs WoW. In fact, I like that I'm KoS in many places as an necromancer. In Age of Conan, you can as an necromancer walk with an horde of undead in front of temple of Mitra consequence free. Talking about necromancy, in which level I can start committing an Dwarf/Gnome/Manlet genocide? Does the NPC's spells like dominate work in PC's? What happens if a gnome enchanter casts Boltran's Agacerie in me?

Last edited:

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
If you do pvp with someone they can charm you. I once made the retarded decision to duel a friend of mine who was an enchanter. He charmed me and sent me after a giant that was wandering by. The giant killed me and I lost XP. Good times.

Last edited:

Magnum

Novice
I regret not trying EQ before because thay said that it is too similar to wow. It is similar to wow in some aspects? Sure, just like Oblivion is similar to Morrowind in some aspects. Morrowind is an way better and more immersive RPG. Same with EQ vs WoW. In fact, I like that I'm KoS in many places as an necromancer. In Age of Conan, you can as an necromancer walk with an horde of undead in front of temple of Mitra consequence free.
Wow was a very vocal groups answer to the hardships EQ had. Death and getting your corpse was one of the obvious changes.
Game wise, EQ is designed for first person perspective with the ability to change views. Wow is designed for 3rd person.
Each race has a city except half-elfs who share both Human and Elf cities.
Faction is a neat thing about the elf-simulator world. Good doesn't like evil.
Original-era EQ is my favorite Windows (MMO)RPG ever made.

https://wiki.project1999.com/Sesserdrix's_All_in_One_Necromancer_Strategy_Guide

The big difference between original era EQ and P99 is you have all the information at your disposal.
Back in the day, literally part of this game was searching through obscure internet sites, even places like Geocities,
Angelfire, Tripod and others, just looking for information because EQ gave you nothing. All the quests were vague

https://wiki.project1999.com/The_Visiting_Priestess

https://members.tripod.com/quana_1/Everquest/EQindex.html
https://members.tripod.com/spoon_man_/eq.html
https://membhttps://shadowknightwarrior.tripod.com/gridlox/id40.html
https://www.angelfire.com/games2/ashnight/characters.html
https://www.angelfire.com/games3/MORPG/pages/eq.html

Finding the right NPC to kill, or its placeholder and if its a rare drop or not. Few people knew what they were doing.

*You couldn't Tab-Out back in era, when you were in game you were in game. EQ also had a performance-loop that would
use your single core CPU so you really couldn't do other things. Me and my friends had EQ Binders, bought my first printer just to make
my own strategy guides, this was done by the players and not provided by 989 Studios/ Verant. Most of the maps you find on the
P99 Wiki are from original sites like EQmaps and EQAtlas.
XK0tn68.png

Last edited:

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine

Yep. And honestly, this game could have made corpse runs even harder. Eg - Corpses being lootable by PC's and intelligent NPC's, ressurection having a chance to damage your STAMINA for a time, losing also spellbook and staying only with memorized spells after death and traveling between cities even more dangerous, if a gold is deposited in Qeynos's bank, the gold doesn't magically appear in Freeport, getting your money in Freeport could involve getting a "certificate" in Qeynos bank and giving the certificate in Freeport bank. among other things.

I'm playing in Linux(archlinux) and only managed to run p99 outside of M$ slow spyware, thanks to this video

He is wrong about file transfer in Linux(is his DE) and about needing a VPN to connect. But the video is quite good in how to make it work in Linux.

If you do pvp with someone they can charm you. I once made the retarded decision to duel a friend of mine who was an enchanter. He charmed me and sent me after a giant that was wandering by. The giant killed me and I lost XP. Good times.

An gnome enchanter? Probably was FriendlyMerchant...

Now I'm curious if Beguile Undead would work in PC's using the undead tansforming necro spells, in necro pets or in the paid wand which makes you a vampire in live...

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
To level up as an lv 27 nec(about 75% xp), where I should go? I"m in east Karana at moment. The Treants in south karana are always occupied. OOT seems too risky + too long corpse runs. I"m considering moving to Kunark(Swamp of no hope/Finora vie).l Is an good idea?

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
There are a ton of good places on Kunark that you can do at your level. I'd say go there and try multiple zones. There are more than just the ones you mentioned with mobs you can kill at your level.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Anyway, after a bit of frustrating and getting down to lv 28 twice due "interrupted" while I'm stationed, I got about 20% xp in lv 29, moved back to Freeport, and purchased vampiric curse in Overthere(Kunark) and with spirit trap+ boil blood + dooming darkness, my DoTs are far more effective. So I decided to try to get Summon Dead, the 29th level necro pet. I'm KoS by being human in Orc city and can't access Erudite city. Where they sell the spell, so I moved to Ocean of Tears, tried to buy from this high elf chick but she hates necromancer and sadly the game don't allow me to kill her and reanimate her, so she can't say no to the trade...

IQtk8AQ.png

But I had farmed lots of words while leveling, despite my research skill being low(48), I had the 3 words and managed to research the spell with mere 48 research skill. I had a couple of bad lucky events but got lucky really hard now. At mid levels, is where pets become relatively weaker, imagine being lv 29~33 and only able to create lv 25 undead. Without the wiki, I would need recipes for research written in complete alien languages, but how I could read them?

s978MWG.png
NOZqYtQ.png

Last edited:

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Just skip that pet, learn 2 grind. Make use of those new dots, get to 34 and get the next pet. Have you grouped with people yet?

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Just skip that pet, learn 2 grind. Make use of those new dots, get to 34 and get the next pet. Have you grouped with people yet?

I did got the lv 29 necro pet. Researched with mere 48 research skill. Sorry if was not clear. As for reaching lv 34, I will get my first hell level soon... As for grouping, only found 3 groups so far. In OoM, LAke of Ill Omen and the Treants in SK.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
First hell level. I know that I'm asking lots of question. But is truth that dying now makes me lose 20% XP instead of 10%??

img

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
The amount of XP you lose is based on how much XP it took to reach your current level. Meaning you will get the double XP loss during the level after the hell level.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Thanks a lot for all help that I'm receiving here. IS not exactly a noob question but what is your guys opinion about the necro dot revamp which happened some years ago?

For those who don't know, necro DoT damage duration got reduced but DoT damage increased. Blood boil in live lasts only 7 tiks but deals 40~67 damage (https://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/spell.html?spell=451 ), meanwhile in P99 it deals only 24 damage per tik but lasts 16~21 tiks. The snares also seems to slow a bit less in live.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Another question. Sorry for making too much questions but I'm a noob and there are lots of decade old veterans here.

Aegis of Ro + Burnout IV + Sword of Runes in a Greater Vocaration: Water's pet would be able to do how much damage per "tik"? IF he lands like 5 hits / tik and the Magician also casts an direct DD into the target, how much damage would he do?

Can I reach 2k damage / tik as an magician? If YES, I will consider moving to MAG... LV 31 necro at moment. I'm only theory-crafting.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Probably better asking that on the p99 forum, there will be mages with that gear who would know. I'd guess they do about 1500 or so. Their nuke hits for about 1k and the pet does good damage. They are always going to beat necros in burst damage. Necro DPS is probably always average in a group because mobs die so fast. You have a nuke but it's weak. But there's more to it than damage, Necro last longer, never go out of mana, can mez stuff, help with pulling, help with healing the group, help with mana regen, etc. And on bigger targets they do great damage.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
People said that the greatest problem of MAG is that they lack CC except by pets which has a really hard time hitting stuff past 50s and the lack of LURE spells. Lure of Ice has a -300 resist modfiier, which means that an creature with 80% of chance to resist an spell with -0 would have -30%. If an shaman also casts Malosi, then the enemy which would have 80% resist now has merely 20% IE - one spell in five. And this ignoring that resistance vs cold is much more rare than vs fire/mag in p99.

And BTW, in p99, dark magic snare spells seems to be better than live. Since in live, the amount of slow scales with enemy level, while in p99, doesn't matter if the enemy is lv 1 or 60+. The best dark magic spell will slow down 70% if it lands.

People also said that late 50 MAG will farm mostly greens since the survivability vs blues is atrocious and no CC from the caster.

What kinda killed my desire to keep playing p99 is that I decided to explore Kaesora, and "OMG, this area is pure shirt, I will gonna leave this place", only to due an lag, fall into a hole, with 3 "red" spiders and I have no way to recover my corpse... Lost an gear which I paid about 600 pp + and no way to get it back.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
You could get levitate and invis and float down. I think there might be mobs that see invis though so it might not work, but you could loot the corpse, FD if you need to lose aggro, and then Gate outta there.

Magnum

Novice
What kinda killed my desire to keep playing p99 is that I decided to explore Kaesora, and "OMG, this area is pure shirt, I will gonna leave this place", only to due an lag, fall into a hole, with 3 "red" spiders and I have no way to recover my corpse... Lost an gear which I paid about 600 pp + and no way to get it back.

As a EQ veteran it feels great to read comments like this again.

- Take anvi's advice, donate for a higher level necro to summon your corpse to zone-in area, ask in Starting Area on the p99 forums for help or ask for help in EC commons. Having friends in game or belonging to a guild can also help.

Last edited:

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
You could get levitate and invis and float down.

I tried it but the invsibibility drops after I loot my corpse and I can't use /corpse there...

onate for a higher level necro to summon your corpse to zone-in area, ask in Starting Area on the p99 forums for help or ask for help in EC commons

Honestly, after this frustration, I will give a time off EQ. LV 30(was 31) necromancer... I don't have even money to pay for the reagent of a summon corpse spell. To get quickly to lv 30, I farmed the forest giants in the Warsliks Wood. They give great XP and landing spells in them is easy but the money that they give is non existent.

For now, I'm spending my free time playing DDO in hardcore mode. At moment, being extremely cautiously, I'm lv 9 After I die in DDO, I will probably move back to EQ.

One last question. IS quickly to level up as an WIZ like is as an MAG?

Magnum

Novice
Wow was a very vocal groups answer to the hardships EQ had. Death and getting your corpse was one of the obvious changes.

"raiding" was one of the worst things in EQ and a last minute addition, btw
It's an experience. Catering to raiders beyond all else was the worst thing they did, going so far as to remove RP features like racial abilities and starting cities to streamline it all for raiding. The original game is the best of them all, my favorite windows desktop game over a phone line.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom