Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Even the Japs are doing it now...

Sony Reveals Demon's Souls

Demon's Souls takes place in the kingdom of Boletaria, currently enshrouded in a deep fog thanks to its king inadvertently unleashing an ancient monster from his slumber. You, a nameless hero who you're free to customize Elder Scrolls-style, must penetrate into Boletaria and save the kingdom -- but like many US RPGs these days, the game is slated to be extremely open-ended. "You get only the barest minimum of a goal, and there's nothing forcing you to do anything in the game," Kajii said. "People say to you 'Save the world,' but you can ignore them and keep going if you like."

Raapys

Arcane
Wow, a game where you don't actually have to do anything at all.

Gerrard

Arcane
I looked outside expecting armageddon.

Funny thing is, I have no doubts about it being better than Oblivion. Maybe not a better RPG, but a better game overall for sure.

Durwyn

Prophet
In before Oblivion with big eyes, spikey hair and dick-like huge swords

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
and the japs'll probably do it better, just like they did rtwp better with FF12.

Sovy Kurosei

Erudite
aweigh said:
and the japs'll probably do it better, just like they did rtwp better with FF12.

First it was the auto industry and now it will be our RPGs.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
Oblivion with slanty eyes mod, pharaonic phallic sword mod, colourful fantasy hair mod and erotic female voices mod.

Lesifoere

Liturgist
No, anime characters don't actually have slanty eyes. You mean a "massive eyes with psychedelic colors mod."

uhjghvt

Scholar
Gragt said:
Oblivion with slanty eyes mod, pharaonic phallic sword mod, colourful fantasy hair mod and erotic female voices mod.
the sad thing is that all of these mods probably exist

You know, if I could borrow someone's Lithuanian hitman to watch over the designers and threaten to torture and kill them the moment they create anime hair, phallic swords, cutesty zesty sidekicks or paedophilia-express-yourself-promotions, I'd quite like to see the Japanese do a western RPG, even if it is an open-world one. I'd have more faith in them to keep complexity and strategy into it (just look at the emphasis in Korean MMORPGs v Western ones - their fans seem to be more pro-strategy than the typical western kiddie and their developers are if anything TOO loath to sacrifice gameplay for accessibility). Also every now and then the Japanese produce a developer who is truly crazily inventive. Unfortunately said crazy inventive developer still fills his game with anime hair, phallic swords and cutesy zesty sidekicks. Get rid of that and it might be a truly interesting project.

Data4

Arcane
Azrael the cat said:
Unfortunately said crazy inventive developer still fills his game with anime hair, phallic swords and cutesy zesty sidekicks. Get rid of that and it might be a truly interesting project.

Yeah, that, or his once genre-defining originality becomes stale by the second iteration (*cough*Hideo*cough*)

Micmu

Magister
What's so funny and strange about that? They'll simply use a darker color palette for their fucking anime.

Data4

Arcane
I wouldn't mind seeing a Japanese developer tackle a DnD title, with all the standard WotC guidelines to keep the dumbfuckery in check.

Now before anyone screams Pokemon, just remember it originated in Japan and was simply published by WotC. I think Nintendo owns the rights now.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom