Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eurogamer on Empire: Total War

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
There are some new screenshots at gamesradar, in particular three of the campaign mode.

link

Fez

Erudite
It'll take a lot more than those few screen shots to win me over. You should at least wait for six months as you know it will likely be broken and buggy garbage on release and take months for the patch to arrive.

Burning Bridges

No problem, I am wavering myself.

I was curious for the campaign screens, and now that they are there it still looks like a TW game (my fear was that ETW would mark the transition to a console game), I think it could be a rather ok game. But it's not that one has to be particularly impatient.

Fez

Erudite
Another video that just seems to say "GRAPHICS GRAPHICS GRAPHICS!". Same method as the hype for the previous 3D games. Not a good omen.

I didn't see anything to imply it will be any better than the last or anything more than a cosmetic update. I hope they've abandoned that idiotic method of calculating the combat from MTW2 where they actually based it on the animations of the individual characters sparring and the weapons touching others instead of having the animations as only eye-candy while the engine worked out the figures in the background as it was in the older games.

Annonchinil

Scholar
The worst part of the trailer were the war elephants... W T F?

Other than that instead of doing a hype trailer why can't they do an actual AAR?

Fez

Erudite
Annonchinil said:
Other than that instead of doing a hype trailer why can't they do an actual AAR?

Because it might make the mistake of showing how lame the game play or combat actually is. With all the flaws in MTW2 when it was released I can see why they concentrated on shiny polygons instead.

Annonchinil

Scholar
There are tons of people that actually seem to like it... anyways I heard MTW2 combat was not as arcady as in Rome.

Fez

Erudite
There are tons of people who love boy bands. There are tons of retards. Sadly they are pandering to them with GRAPHICS GRAPHICS GRAPHICS, rather than making the great games of old that established the series.

I have both those games (Rome and MTW2) and played them a fair bit. The combat in MTW2 was more "arcady", if anything. It was also somewhat more poorly implemented and buggy than Rome. It's a shame to see them get worse with time rather than better.

Burning Bridges

Annonchinil said:
There are tons of people that actually seem to like it...

irrelevant if you look at the kind of people you're talking about.

Fez said:
I have both those games (Rome and MTW2) and played them a fair bit. The combat in MTW2 was more "arcady", if anything. It was also somewhat more poorly implemented and buggy than Rome. It's a shame to see them get worse with time rather than better.

I see you are opposed to TW, but it would interest me what alternatives you see? The TW series has always catered for realism. Somewhat. I can not say even that little of other games that are sold as strategy these days.

As I said before I found some fun could be had with RTW. I can not say that with the later offering which catered even more for formulaic gameplay and the phantasies of simple minded juveniles. But I still don't see a lot of competition for the TW games when it comes to AAA games, indy games are what I mostly play these days but that's another thing.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom