Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Eschalon's beta test report

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Tags: Eschalon: Book I

<a href=http://basiliskgames.com/>Basilisk Games</a>'s Thomas Riegsecker has invited one of his most dedicated forum members to play an Eschalon demo. Here are <a href=http://www.basiliskgames.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=331>his impressions</a>:
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>As I am apparently representative of Basilisk's target audience and an active forum poster, I was fortunate enough to have been Wrangled into giving what will become the Eschalon demo a "look and feel" test. I've had the demo for about a week now, and I've been asked by the Wrangler to share some of my impressions here.
<br>
<br>
First off, the screenshots don't do the game true justice, it looks great. I'd say it's just slightly ahead of the game Arcanum in it's general graphic presentation, but with some really beautiful effects (eg from explosions, smoke, lighting).
<br>
<br>
Traveling through the game is quite lovely. The background music is the right balance of ambience and actual style and detail, which gives great character to one's travels. This added with very nice environmental effects light torchlight in the dark and fireflies floating about at night, just breathes life into the game. So this is not some half-realised project, it's very full and atmospheric. Setting up camp at night really feels like you're camping.
<br>
<br>
The music is superb, from the opening cinematic to the background music throughout the game, it's clear a lot of attention went into putting it together. The background music is nice balance of ambience and detail, so it's not just "noise" nor is it distractingly overwrought. Light fantasy classical would describe it, I'd think.
<br>
<br>
NPC dialogue is extremely well done and detailed. This is not the two or three line sort of dialogue you see in most games, there's a fair bit of exposition (but not quite to the degree of Planescape:Torment!). You're given a fair bit of setting detail in their dialogue and descriptive text, much like how a DM in a PnP game might deliver it all. Also nice is that there isn't one All Knowing NPC who tells you everything about your quests and such, you pick up pieces of history and clues from everyone you talk to and so you as the PC put it together yourself.
<br>
<br>
There's a nice sense of having to be equipped and prepared for your journeys. You'll want to be well stocked in things like potions and torches and yet you will still need to make judicious use of them and be clever in your questing in order to make your supplies last.
<br>
<br>
Character creation I think we've mostly read about. You roll your stats (complete with the sound of rolling dice!) and assign stat points to flesh out your character. Then you choose an Origin which each adds their own stat or skill bonuses, an Axiom (sort of like alignment but more practical) and a class. Depending on your class and axiom, you're given a title which changes as you level.
<br>
<br>
Inventory is easily managed, there's a "quick bag" set-up on the main screen where you can place immediate-use items like potions or a map. Torches have their own special inventory slot.
<br>
<br>
The demo is 4 maps, and my first character had about 3 hours of time played just in those 4 maps, so that gives a pretty good indication of the level of exploration present in the game. You are rewarded for taking the time to explore as there is treasure to be found.
<br>
<br>
I guess overall my intial response was the Eschalon felt like an old Ultima game with a really nice graphics component.
<br>
<br>
I'm not going to give *too* much more away, but am happy to answer any questions in as much as I am able!
<br>
<br>
The combat system is as we know turn-based. As such it makes combat more manageable, particularly for a character that isn't all about brute force. Archery and other ranged attacking is much more viable, as well as giving you greater capacity to use items in combat, be it a potion or some sort of explosive. You can also keep good distance between yourself and the enemy if need be.
<br>
<br>
It feels very fluid and intuitive, and turns don't take very long at all, the pacing is quite quick and there's not a lot of complexity.
<br>
<br>
Combat is one area that I can't really comment a whole lot on, since the demo is only >< this much of the game, so obviously I didn't experience a wide array of monsters, weaponry or items.
<br>
<br>
What's nice is that you have the option of running away, and if you have a character that can Hide In Shadows and/or Move Silently, you can evade some critters. From what I saw, monsters don't chase you to the ends of the earth, you can shake them and carry on. There was one area in which I had to do this as the only way to survive.
<br>
<br>
Oh, you have an option to toggle a combat grid on and off, which can help you determine how far something is from you.
<br>
<br>
The variety of items was pretty impressive. Treasure is random, so each treasure drop location yielded different loot for each character.
<br>
<br>
Further to this: Eschalon is not like, say, Sacred, where you haul out some massive piece of weaponry or armour from a chest in a musty dungeon room. In the demo, there are a few magical rings and amulets, but weapons and armour are gauged more in general quality of materials than by some magical designation. Alchemists who need reagents will find those as well.
<br>
<br>
In character creation, even though you do choose a class, there are no artificial limitations imposed on your character because of that. You are free to build your character exactly as you want, taking whichever skills you feel best suit the character in your head.
<br>
<br>
Likewise, you can use weapons and armour you are not proficient with. There is of course a penalty, but there's nothing that prevents you from picking up and using a weapon or piece of armour you are unskilled in. This really plays up a sense of resourcefulness, I found.
<br>
<br>
Lockpicking is of course dependent on the Pick Locks skill, and you need to have Lockpicks in your inventory. When you "activate" an Locked item a window opens up that gives your your percentage chance of picking the lock and if you want to try or not. If you select Yes a nifty graphic pops up of the lock tumblers being manipulated along with a mechanical sound. Picks can break if you fail. Trap disarming works in basically the same way but you don't need a tool.
<br>
<br>
There is no pickpocketing, but you can steal from NPCs chests and drawers if you want.
<br>
There are things to search, but you can't search *everything*, but most, if not all container type items I saw are searchable.
<br>
<br>
In the demo there are magic items. You can sometimes find them and a few can be purchased from the local magic shop. They're mostly amulets and rings, and the occasional piece of clothing. I didn't see any magic weapons or armour, those items tended to be graded more in quality than with magical properties. The magic items provide small bonuses to things like hit points or to-hit modifiers.
<br>
<br>
Mapping is dependent on the Cartography skill. There's a map that fills in as you travel if you have at least one rank in Cartography, though it's a *very* crude map. The higher your skill the more details are included. There is a map of the area you can purchase but it doesn't show your location or routes or anything like that. It looks more like a map you'd see in an RPG book.
<br>
<br>
As a side note, I'd have to say that pretty much any class or character build you like to play gets a very fair shake in Eschalon. I've played to various stages of completion a Ranger, a Rogue and a Magick User, and none of them felt lacking and with all I felt rewarded for my choice. Add in the ability to basically multi-class and there being no restrictions based on class or non-proficiency, and it's an extremely flexible and accomodating character system.</blockquote>Good news. I'm really excited about this game. Looks like Thomas is almost done with it.
<br>

Jinxed

Liturgist
Vault Dweller said:
In character creation, even though you do choose a class, there are no artificial limitations imposed on your character because of that. You are free to build your character exactly as you want, taking whichever skills you feel best suit the character in your head.

Then what's the point of having classes in the first place? Starting stats or character models? That reminds me of diablo.

All in all, the game looks pretty gewd.

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
I'm happy with everything I've heard so far.

Jinxed said:
Then what's the point of having classes in the first place? Starting stats or character models? That reminds me of diablo.
You ought to ask that question in the AoD forum. :wink:

Vault Dweller

Developer
Claw said:
I'm happy with everything I've heard so far.

Jinxed said:
You ought to ask that question in the AoD forum. :wink:
Professions (or backgrounds), not classes.

In other news, Thomas promised me a preview copy, so we'll be able to post our own detailed impressions of the game soon/eventually.

sheek

Arbiter
Yeah, this is probably my second most anticipated game at the moment.

Only thing I dislike is that he says combat is 'not complex'... of course that is usually subjective.

Anybody know the details of the travel system? Last I checked their forums it was still in discussion phase. Is it just A->B with x% chance of a combat encounter with generic goblinoids, or more detailed? Can you go wherever you like or do you travel between preset 'waypoints'? I dislike the trend in RPGs having all the actual gameplay restricted to just the pregenerated maps. Not saying I prefer an empty ESFish continuous world but there's some innovation to be made.

Wulfgar

Scholar
Some of it sounds too good to be true, considering it's an indie game.

You're given a fair bit of setting detail in their dialogue and descriptive text, much like how a DM in a PnP game might deliver it all.

Great! I loved that shit in Avernum.

FrancoTAU

Cipher
I've been interested in this one for awhile now and the Ultima comparison that the beta tester had really makes me excited. Combat is really the only concern that i'm nervous about.

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Eschalon, Broken Hourglass, Age of Decandence.

There doesn't really seem to be so much reason to lament the downfall of the industry. I don't think I could handle more RPGs anyway.

Texas Red

Whiner
Eh, I think we should take his words with a grain of salt considering he the demo player is a huge fanboy. I suspect him of not telling everything. Thats how fanboyism works.

Will there be a demo released for the public?

Vault Dweller

Developer
It's an indie game. Of course there will be a demo. Anyway, like I said, Thomas has promised me a preview demo, so I'll be able to give you detailed and unbiased impressions.

aboyd

Liturgist
Claw said:
Eschalon, Broken Hourglass, Age of Decandence.
I also think some of the bigger-known games hold promise. I'd add Dragon Age and The Witcher to the list of potentially good CRPGs coming out in the next year or so. If all 5 end up being good, then it will be the best RPG period since 1998-2000, IMHO. But I'm not that lucky, so I expect only 1 or 2 will hold my interest. Still, it's nice to see that the market is at least giving a bit of a nod to the niche I'm in.

aboyd

Liturgist
One of the things I very much admire about the game is that they kicked NWN 2's ass in the icon department.

The designer/artist who decided upon icons for inventory items in NWN 2 made a horrible decision. Too many icons looked the same, and their size was too small to allow enough detail.

But whoever did it in Eschalon just kicked butt. Look at this screenshot:

http://www.basiliskgames.com/Screen8.htm

I can fully see the differences between weapons, potions, rings, belts, etc. Looking at those icons, everything is clear & intuitive.

Always nice to see an indie studio beat a mainstream studio.

Oddly enough, the icons appear to be the same size as NWN 2. So, I think the only way they improved was just to have extremely clean artwork...?

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Wow. I just read this and forgot all about the Twitcher and Biosock.

Thank you VD for raising my indie awareness! (I don't trust indies after I paid for Jeff Vogel's... 'games', but I have high hopes for this title!)

Noceur

Liturgist
I've been having my eyes on this game for quite a while now... glad to hear good things about the gameplay. :)

Can't wait for a public demo.

btw: Does the avatar of your character look different depending on armor (looks like it on the screenshots)?

Amasius

Augur
Eschalon looks very promising, but I don't like this little bit of information from their forum:

someone said:
A question: Will the dialogues have stat-cheks (Intelligence for example to decide if you can find out a new Intelligent answer that would otherwise not show up)
BasiliskWrangler said:
No, we don't go so far as to say "if you are this smart then this clever response becomes available to you". We don't run any stats checks when interacting...we leave that completely up to the player to decide how their character should respond when chatting with an NPC.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom