Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eschalon: Book II impressions.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
But where is my “stupidity”? Really.

Simple. Play a game for 60 hours, even though you think it's so bad? You're even worse than those faggots that force themselves through the games they bought because they MUST make up for their investments.

And of course, claiming it's bad for the wrong reasons, but that's another discussion.

Silellak

Cipher
This thread delivers.
I am not a cRPG “journalist”
That's a shame, because if you were, it might be a legitimate excuse for playing a game you don't even like for 60 hours.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Re: oh for fuck's ake.

Martin said:
Oh shit, a tl:dr again. Ironically and as usual one that is going to get read, a lot.
If it makes you feel better, this is the only line I read :smug:

Also, didn't you leave?

Mortmal

Arcane
What killed your post is the fact you diddnt pay for the game yet still played it for 60 hours, no matter if you liked or not you have to pay for it.
I dont understand why people are so proud to write they stole something, its not like its even hard like shoplifting, its pretty pathetic you litterally admit you are a bum and cant afford a game, you are not some carribean pirate...
Your criticism of the game is correct and i mosltly agree but its not worth arguing about it , if VD wrote a review about eschalon with the same standard he wrote one for oblivion then theres high risk the poor developper would hang himself.

Martin

Educated
Trash said:
Martin said:
Oh shit, a tl:dr again. Ironically and as usual one that is going to get read, a lot.

Haha, oh wow. Man, you are full of yourself.

Come on trash, you know it has got nothing to do with myself, positive or negative.. Its just the way of things, certain types of people I guess.

And dont worry peeps, I replied because I got pissed, I might reply again or not, but worry not in any case when this thread is over you won't have to read non-melcar stuff again.

So be merry.

Serus

Arcane
Patron
Mortmal said:
What killed your post is the fact you diddnt pay for the game yet still played it for 60 hours, no matter if you liked or not you have to pay for it.
I dont understand why people are so proud to write they stole something, its not like its even hard like shoplifting, its pretty pathetic you litterally admit you are a bum and cant afford a game, you are not some carribean pirate...
Don't go there. Just don't. It is an Internet forum. The place is called RPG Codex. It is NOT a valid point. It has absolutely nothing to do with the criticsm of the game. It is ad personam. Stop it.

Vol.. Martin, please use the quote function. I have seen what happens when people stop using it, it ain't pretty I can assure you.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Re: oh for fuck's ake.

Martin said:
Look “Vince”, I know this is your private feud...
What feud? I'm not a big fan of the game. I respect Thomas for making two well-polished and surprisingly well-put together games, but I'm not his target audience. Contrary to what you may think I'm not attacking you because you dared to criticize a game I like. What you posted didn't make a lot of sense and I merely pointed it out.

... but I assure you I was not joking regarding my views of the game in question. I also was not selectively twisting around the content of my post to cover up or distort anything of what it actually says, that’s what you do. I did not deny anything, but just in case here: what I said in my OP is 100% true. Clear about the denial attempt? No denial here pal.
Ok. Let's try it again.

Martin:

The game is crap. I do not have enough sympathy towards cRPG indie developers to avoid recognizing that overall the game is a huge steaming pile of crap.

I clocked almost 60 hours to finish it. If it weren’t for all that highly enjoyable, challenging and immersive slow motion “exploration” I doubt this game would take more than 35 hours to finish.

Highly enjoyable, challenging and immersive slow motion “exploration” ... Game mechanics and ruleset, character development in terms of statistics are a positive aspect to be honest.

Combat? Passable, some details to consider and nice touches due to the strong ruleset, a decent amount of options for this kind of title.

The game is crap. I do not have enough sympathy towards cRPG indie developers to avoid recognizing that overall the game is a huge steaming pile of crap.

I clocked almost 60 hours to finish it. If it weren’t for all that highly enjoyable, challenging and immersive slow motion “exploration” I doubt this game would take more than 35 hours to finish, even if you did everything.

Also I didn’t pay for the game. So fuck you Basilisk Games. “Indie” status or not, as far as I am concerned you deserve to go under."

You can state whatever you like about my persona or my time spent in this forum, but you cannot cover up what is obvious. Just like if your game taken together can only be described as a pile of shit it will take a lot more to cover that up and actually make it a success than a niche friendly clique of sycophants and community leaders with their own vested economic interests or whose social life and status is based on this kind of community. But you already know that. And that’s why you are so careful with your fellow “indies”.
What's obvious is that a guy pirated a game, played it for 60 hours finding many things to enjoy, then made an angry post calling it crap and wishing for the developer to go under. Don't get me wrong. I don't care whether you pirate games or not. However, pirating a game, playing it for 60 hours, and then telling "fuck you" to the developer and telling him that he deserves to go under is douche-fucking-baggery and most people here seemed to agree with that. You can call them a clique of sycophants or you can re-examine your own position. Your choice.

What I written is 100% true from the perspective of anyone who experienced the game in question. I experienced all of it or 99% of it. Some “reviewers” put in the same time or close and gave this steaming pile of crap top scores. For me in a scale of 1-5 it doesn’t deserve 2. Do you agree with these reviewers? Do you lie somewhere in between? Do you disagree with my original post? Do you have arguments regarding the game that disprove or invalidate my points? Please go ahead. You already got me to post again, congratulations of course.
Which reviews? I've only read one, the RPGWatch one, and I do not agree with it. I think the review was embarrassing, both for the Watch and Thomas.

I mostly agree with your comments about the game, but I disagree with your conclusions and the angry "fuck you" tirade.

Basically, if you need some guidelines, if you played the game for 60 hours praising many features, you can't call the game bad. You just can't. Saying that you played it for 60 hours and then calling it crap is a "self inflicted ad hominem attack."

If you steal a game, you don't have the right to tell the developers "fuck you, you deserve to go under". If he does, it's because of people like you who actually enjoy his games enough to play them for 60 hours but don't want to pay for them.

But actually construing my post regarding the game like some sort of deluded rant that is “stupid” while not stating why in regards to the object of my post that is pretty damn low.
You mean it wasn't obvious?

Unlike yourself, for me this forum isn’t actually important, as in to my life or any of my goals or interests. You have an image to project and to protect I understand, enlightened self interest and all that. I really do.
I post rarely these days. I'm not a local "community leader with vested economic interests" as you called me. I don't have an image to protect. In fact, if I'm not mistaken most people here didn't even like Eschalon. So, no, you really don't.

I noticed you did not present a single argument regarding the points in my original point.
Has the art of reading comprehension escaped you completely?

"So, let me see if I get this straight. You downloaded a game without paying for it, played it for 60 hours, which is a long fucking time, and even though you thought that the character system and development were a positive aspect and the exploration was "highly enjoyable, challenging and immersive", you made an angry "fuck you Baslisk!" post wishing for the developer to go under, calling the game shite, and bragging that you didn't pay for it.

You, sir, are a gigantic fucking douchebag."

What's to explain?

Also when I said look at the threads I meant look at the threads. Look at the number of views of this thread for example. Quite a few of this visitors are laughing now but not at me.
Weak.

coldcrow

Prophet
Patron
Umm, VD, I assume Martin used that "highly enjoyable exploration" term in a ironic way.

Martin

Educated
coldcrow said:
Umm, VD, I assume Martin used that "highly enjoyable exploration" term in a ironic way.

Hence "failing at reading". I think the "" were clear. But it doesn't matter.

Fine, I am done. There is nothing to add regarding eschalon specifically at least.

As for the time spent in the game being absurd in relation to the opinion I am sure plenty here extensively played a game they later or even previously described either as pure crap or hopelessly flawed, especially some of the infamous next gen crap.

And yes I think bitting the bullet and continuing to play entitles one to an opinion just like one can watch a long movie "stolen" from the internet and legitimately claim its crap.
Its a good analogy even if the amount of time spent is much different, on the other hand an opinion of someone that watched half the movie is not as valid I believe.
I think the problem in this context is liking "movies" in general too much. Liking games or the habit of gaming too much. Thats where the apparent contradiction comes from. For me personally its a hobby that no longer makes sense.

This is a personal problem that I hope to get rid of, and its part of the reason I dont think I should hang around communities like this anymore and I will try to quit gaming entirely. I have done enough pc gaming, rpg and otherwise, to cover at least two gamer hobbyist lifetimes.

Silellak

Cipher
Martin said:
And yes I think bitting the bullet and continuing to play entitles one to an opinion just like one can watch a long movie "stolen" from the internet and legitimately claim its crap.

Its a good analogy even if the amount of time spent is much different, on the other hand an opinion of someone that watched half the movie is not as valid I believe.
Actually, it's more like downloading that movie, watching it 20 times, then claiming it's crap and wondering why people might doubt your sincerity.

Mhain

Educated
However, continuing your analogy, you have watched the same movie three times and then said that you hated it. The problem is that nearly none of the reasons you give explicitly adress the issues of the game, which is why it seems foolish that you are continuing to defend them. The fact is, you wouldn't have continued exploring if you didn't enjoy it. The actuality that you claim you didn't enjoy it means you are denying that you can enjoy things, or you are not capable of understanding that you are having fun. I have seen people with the same problem, mind you. So, surely, the brackets were not used to indicate irony, but rather, to take a stance in order to defend something that is undeniably not true, which you, for reasons unknown, chose to defend.

By the way, if you believe you can do something useful in your spare time if you quit gaming, then do it. However, gaming is, for the most of people, not escapism, rather, merely a way to make time pass faster. You game to avoid the depression of the passivity of life. You game because you are discouraged to do other things, things you are told are impossible.

Secretninja

Cipher
Serious_Business said:
Well I agreed with you until you said you spent 60 fucking hours on this piece of shit. How ridiculous is that? 60 hours? 60 fucking hours? That's a lot of time. Time you could have spent reading Spinoza or play X-Com instead or something. Your opinion doesn't matter for much if you're insisting on being that retarded, I'm afraid. After 60 hours the game is shit? Anything will become shit after 60 hours man, pretty much. Did you play it in a row or something? Wouldn't surprise me. And what for, to get the priviledge to post an angry thread on rpg codex? Man I played about 5 hours of the first game, 10 minutes of the second, and I felt I had given enough chance to this guy. Yes the game is bad, but what the fuck is wrong with you? Get a fucking grip man this is terrible. You could have lied or something jesus

I laughed uncontrollably while reading and for about a minute after finishing reading this post.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom