Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eschalon: Book II impressions.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Captain Dufus said:
My problems with Eschalon 2 meet up with many folks. Its plot is barebones and barely there.
Bullshit. You may dislike it but the plot is there and well defined. I'd say it's much better than most mainstream crap.

Sure these score thingies don't affect anything, but I still don't want to be punished for playing the game in a fun manner.
You are not very bright, are you?

And the skill system? Oh god the design is made of fail. No in game help showing exactly what your attributes and skill points do other than that more is better.
Rocket science? Thomas said that he wanted people to experiment and figure things out on their own. Overall, the design is good for 3 reasons: increasing skills makes a noticeable difference, all skills are useful, and there is enough variety to support different builds.

But the skills and how it works are the worst. You gain 3 Skill Points per level. A new skill costs 3 SP.
So, you either buy a new skill, which would have an immediate effect on your gameplay or increase the existing skills by 3 points. Makes a lot of sense.

You do not gain the essential combat feats till you get to rank 10 in a skill.
The horror.

There are ONE USE books (that don't tell you if you have already read them until you buy them and use them again.. bad design there!) that either teach you a skill or give you 2 points in an existing skill.
ONE USE? Yeah, that sucks. I prefer books that I can click on indefinitely until my skills are maxed.

There are also skill trainers (one of which YOU CANNOT UTILIZE IF YOU COMPLETE ONE OF THE MAJOR SIDEQUESTS IN THE GAME) that will teach you a skill for 100 GP a level, but ONLY up to level 9.
And the problem is? Btw, the cost of training is tied to the level, so it's not $100 per level. Training a skill to level 5, for example, will cost you not $500 but $1500, if I recall correctly, which is a lot of money in Eschalon.

And the game doesn't have a good autoquest note system in there with notetaking (HEY 1991-92's ULTIMA UNDERWORLD CALLED! IT SAYS TO SUCK ITS DICK YOU HACKS!) to let you helpfully know where the shopkeepers are with these books or the trainers.
This is beyond retarded. What else do you need? A quest fucking compass?

And given how small of a benefit most skills give per point you basically need to know EXACTLY where every skill trainer is and every skill book (which aren't even NAMED as to what skill they teach, just some fluff title...) are ahead of time.
No, you don't. I played the game with 3 characters. The skills give plenty of benefits, you gain levels reasonably fast, and you can beat the game without skill books or trainers.

So you pretty much need to play the game with a walkthrough and avoid using ANY skill points and just loot stuff and run away from all combat until you can afford to bring every skill you need to level 9 which you THEN use a skill book to bring to 11, then you can use your level up skill points.
Are you some kinda idiot? Be honest with us.

A MEASLY 5% bonus XP. Weapon degradation, food & water requirements, not being allowed to save when status effected/near enemies, and hard coded die rolls for things like locked chests is all a pain in the ass for a minor bonus.
You don't do it for the bonus. You do it if you enjoy playing games with such options.

It CAN be cool to play through with them all on, but once I realized how nerfed my character was by the endgame wilderness I effectively had to reroll and I shut water/food and item degradation OFF to speed up the game so I didn't have to wander back and forth to town every 5 minutes and could just speed through.
Or you get Foraging.

... degrading items until you learn Repair (whose trainer is near the endgame) mean more weight as you carry backup gear...
Again with the trainers. You can pick Repair when you create your character, but it's a new skill so you have to pay 3 skill points for it, you fucking munchkin.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Captain Rufus said:
So... you are complaining about me complaining about a game you have not even played?
No, I'm complaining about your moronic arguments. Which is why I specifically picked the ones that had nothing to do with the game. "1080p should be minimum res for indie games" has nothing to do with Eschalon book II. It's just a stupid statement.

And trying to insinuate I didn't actually buy the game?
No insinuation, just wondering. The amount of hatred you throw at it would be just weird if you had bought it, as it would imply you were not aware of all these "problems" (low res and so on). Which you would be had you tried the demo. And I cannot in any way imagine someone buying a game when a demo's available without trying the demo.

Could you be any more of an ignorant faggot?
The answer is a resounding yes. Case in point: your posts :smug:

Would you like a picture of the box? Ill throw my taint in free of charge. Its no problem, really.
You sure are taking an off-hand remark (that even started with "if") way too seriously. It's alright, I believe you.

AlaCarcuss said:
Hmm, the release of the U6 project has inspired me to give Lazarus a try (having never played U5) - enyone know if these drawbacks also apply to Lazarus?
The ones I mentioned? Most of them don't. Combat goes quicker than in the original U5, but this being the DS engine it's not really an improvement. Combat in both is not that interesting, but no one plays Ultima games for the combat. Weapon balance is very different, I don't think the axes are as powerful as they used to be. Lazarus has a lot of material added, some of it to makes some previously-unfinished quests completable (the crown one being one of them). Food management isn't as annoying because stealing crops in Lazarus doesn't decrease karma (at least I don't think it does) and you can get mods to slow down food consumption anyway. It's a great game all in all, definitely get it (there, I said it before Sillelak!)

Martin

Educated
Vault Dweller said:
So, let me see if I get this straight. You downloaded a game without paying for it, played it for 60 hours, which is a long fucking time, and even though you thought that the character system and development were a positive aspect and the exploration was "highly enjoyable, challenging and immersive", you made an angry "fuck you Baslisk!" post wishing for the developer to go under, calling the game shite, and bragging that you didn't pay for it.

You, sir, are a gigantic fucking douchebag.

You fail at reading.

soggie

Educated
I hated the walking speed in Eschalon 2.

Economy is well done though - I am always short of cash, and had to make my purchases carefully even when playing as a mage build which should be much cheaper to play.

16 hours in and I've finished most of the sidequests and am in the end game area.

60 hours is just plain retarded.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Vault Dweller said:
ONE USE? Yeah, that sucks. I prefer books that I can click on indefinitely until my skills are maxed.
His point was these books should be marked as one use only, so a character who saved 1000 for a trainer, discovered he can't train to level 10 would be able to use that book.

Of course these books were nice for saving these two points for learning the skill.
Well that system only encourages metagaming. Gaining skill points only on level...

No, you don't. I played the game with 3 characters.
That's kinda sad.

Captain Rufus said:
A MEASLY 5% bonus XP. Weapon degradation, food & water requirements, not being allowed to save when status effected/near enemies, and hard coded die rolls for things like locked chests is all a pain in the ass for a minor bonus.
Actually these options were free for me. As they didn't restricted me a bit. (I would abide to them anyway.)

Given how food and water costs money and carried weight, degrading items until you learn Repair (whose trainer is near the endgame) mean more weight as you carry backup gear, and the other 2 options pretty much make it less fun for what you get.
Anyone smart enough would learn foraging no later than at level 3, and improve it continuously.

When you have small steady income, you can ask for repairs any smith around.

BTW what's strange about taking a backup weapon?

sheek

Arbiter
WAAAH!! DEY TOOK MAH ACTION POINTS AWAY! :M

Go back to loading Fallout for the 194th time this month faggot.

Martin

Educated
haha ok..

Tell you what...

You know what I think this is my last post. It is fitting that it is a game post. I think this is last cRPG classic or not I will play for a long time. It is a very nasty habit that became a sort of addiction for me, that’s why I made a kind of angry post. And this is a good place to make it. Fitting.

And now I am concerned about losing "codex face"? Please you know what this forum is good for, what it is for. As for the rest read my posts. And this is a gaming topic which makes things even more amusing.

And the codex is about cRPG’s right?
cRPG games? I mean for fuck's sake look at all the pathetic defensive bullshit, the complete denial. Look at the topic views. Is this a good post? No.

But look at the thread, look at all threads. The game related ones. A good cRPG game? What makes a good cRPG game? There is no neutrality, no objectivity, no coherence.

In terms of games this community just a circle jerk platform for would-be devs with unrealistic aspirations and would-be dev suckups. The rest of it is just about people pretending they can mock certain things without mocking themselves.

You kids should open your fucking eyes and the older ones should quit pretending they got some sort of life. This isn't an insult just a conclusion.

And ....yeah yeah I know. Goodbye “people”, maybe ill lurk general discussion from time to time for a few laughs.

Ta da.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Martin said:
waaaa.gif

Vault Dweller

Developer
A truly surprising twist of events.

A poster makes a stupid post -> the poster's stupidity is pointed out -> the poster makes a weak denial attempt (is that what you think? it was a joke! i was role-playing! doing research for a thesis (ExMonk) -> the denial attempt fails -> butthurt detected -> the butthurt doubles in size -> the butthurt reaches massive proportions and hits the forum like a tidal wave, followed by or wrapped in "I leave forevar! good bye, cruel world RPG Codex!" post.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Vault Dweller said:

A poster makes a stupid post -> the poster's stupidity is pointed out -> the poster makes a weak denial attempt (is that what you think? it was a joke! i was role-playing! doing research for a thesis (ExMonk) -> the denial attempt fails -> butthurt detected -> the butthurt doubles in size -> the butthurt reaches massive proportions and hits the forum like a tidal wave, followed by or wrapped in "I leave forevar! good bye, cruel world RPG Codex!" post.

Lacks some C&C, huh?

janjetina

Arcane
Patron
Torment: Tides of Numenera
Konjad said:
Vault Dweller said:

Lacks some C&C, huh?

You have successfully added Martin to your ignore list.

Vault Dweller said:
Captain Dufus said:
My problems with Eschalon 2 meet up with many folks. Its plot is barebones and barely there.
Bullshit. You may dislike it but the plot is there and well defined. I'd say it's much better than most mainstream crap.

What plot? Its GO HERE. THEN GO THERE. GO BACK TO HERE. THEN GO HERE.

There are less steps to Eschalon 2 than there is for Ultima 1.

Course I am somehow discussing this with someone who has such low intelligence and class he has to change my name to Dufus oh you are SO FUNNY.

Sure these score thingies don't affect anything, but I still don't want to be punished for playing the game in a fun manner.
You are not very bright, are you?
I am bothering to talk to you, so obviously not.

Rocket science? Thomas said that he wanted people to experiment and figure things out on their own. Overall, the design is good for 3 reasons: increasing skills makes a noticeable difference, all skills are useful, and there is enough variety to support different builds.

The skill system isn't good. On average a skill point ups a combat skill by like 3 percent to hit. And something like Dodge gives you a measly 1 percent evasion chance.

The skill system doesn't support different builds. It supports a tiny optimized buildset you pretty much have to already know where the trainers and skillbooks are to make use of, otherwise endgame is basically going to cornhole you.

And I can experiment better if I know what my numbers do more accurately. People like minmaxing and stat optimizing. This game hides it for no fucking reason whatsoever.

So, you either buy a new skill, which would have an immediate effect on your gameplay or increase the existing skills by 3 points. Makes a lot of sense.

Not really. Some skills merely having it at level 1 (like Forage and Repair) makes a huge difference. Others not so much. Like most of the combat skills where you either have 1 point which basically just means you can use the weapon without penalty, its not really OK to use till rank 10, and you probably shouldn't use it in the endgame area unless its level 20.

That's not what I am saying dickweed. And you pretty much ignore my whole damned point. The books don't even tell you if you have already read them meaning if you say can only play an hour or two a week for a game that is going to take a good 40 hours or so on your first nonspoilered playthrough to complete you are going to forget which ones you read, and the fluffy names of the books don't help any.

Im not saying you should be able to read them multiple times. That would be retarded unless the books cost more and had diminishing returns. (Say 3 points or new skill first read, 2 second, 1 third, useless thereafter. Books would probably need to be worth closer to 500-1000gp though.)

There are also skill trainers (one of which YOU CANNOT UTILIZE IF YOU COMPLETE ONE OF THE MAJOR SIDEQUESTS IN THE GAME) that will teach you a skill for 100 GP a level, but ONLY up to level 9.
And the problem is? Btw, the cost of training is tied to the level, so it's not $100 per level. Training a skill to level 5, for example, will cost you not $500 but $1500, if I recall correctly, which is a lot of money in Eschalon.

Man, you can't fucking read can you? It does teach you for 100 GP a level. A level learned. Sure I might have said it another way, but you can goddamned well tell what I mean douchebag. But yes, 1500 GP is quite a bit, especially with all the difficulty options on.

This is beyond retarded. What else do you need? A quest fucking compass?

No. But its too much to ask for a game made in 2010 to let me write notes on my fucking automap I have to use skill points or trainer money on? Something games on a low end 386 could handle?

No, you don't. I played the game with 3 characters. The skills give plenty of benefits, you gain levels reasonably fast, and you can beat the game without skill books or trainers.

I roll to disbelieve. But its clear why you are butthurt. You are a fanboy for the game and any negative opinion on something you like makes you SO ANGRY.

(Except when you sperge out over Bethesda games. That's ok right?)

So you pretty much need to play the game with a walkthrough and avoid using ANY skill points and just loot stuff and run away from all combat until you can afford to bring every skill you need to level 9 which you THEN use a skill book to bring to 11, then you can use your level up skill points.
Are you some kinda idiot? Be honest with us.

So I am an idiot for saying what is probably the best way to make an optimized character in the game? The fact that given the game's tight economy and XP gaining options you can nerf the fuck out of your character if you don't know how the game works already?

Nigga please.

You don't do it for the bonus. You do it if you enjoy playing games with such options.

Can't it be both?
Many people play games on harder difficulty modes for little bonus perks outside of a sense of Internet :smug: .

Or you get Foraging.
I have it. I've yet to get anything other than reagents. Which admittedly can be used for money, but it doesn't much help food supply when you are balls deep in the Dwarf mines with no fucking way out for part of the thing. (Again, once you KNOW the basic level and game system design you know where the odd bit of extra food is, or where the exit is. Until then its a pain in the duck.)

... degrading items until you learn Repair (whose trainer is near the endgame) mean more weight as you carry backup gear...
Again with the trainers. You can pick Repair when you create your character, but it's a new skill so you have to pay 3 skill points for it, you fucking munchkin.

Yes you got me. I dare to want to play an unarmored archery specced rogue who picks locks and disables traps while looting anything not nailed down.

And thus I am a bad person for wanting to be really good at my 3 chosen core skills instead of having to be nerfed early on to fit game design logic.

Man you have this game's cock jammed in your throat.

The sad thing is?

Its still not a BAD game. Its just not very GOOD.

Its so close in so many ways yet fails to seal the deal in almost every way.

Its not ugly by any means. Yet its only standard Windows resolution circa 2000. Meaning on my 3 year old Imac with a 24" screen it is approaching near postage stamp size, and fullscreen mode its an ugly pixelly mess. I can only imagine what it looks like on the 27" or larger screens lots of people have now. People even use their HDTVs for video out now. Even most laptops have video out.

Its got some interesting options for survival style exploration. But no place interesting to go, and only a limited set of XP gaining NPCs and quests you can even do.

It has lots of skills. But the skill system design and your ability to skill advance in game is ridiculously restrictive unless you already know where all the trainers are and how the skill books work.

So stop sucking dick VD and accept people might find some flaws in the game. If it was completely awful would I be in the final area of the game killing those Minotaur dudes who all seem to have a 99% chance to hit me and my level 19 has a 71 with accuracy style combat option?

Jesus dude.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Captain Rufus said:
I roll to disbelieve. But its clear why you are butthurt. You are a fanboy for the game and any negative opinion on something you like makes you SO ANGRY.
Nope, not my cup of tea. Doesn't mean it's shit.

Its still not a BAD game. Its just not very GOOD.
So first you bitched for half an hour about how everything sucks, from plot to skills to quests to writing to every possible design decision, and now it's "not a bad game". I see.

So stop sucking dick VD and accept people might find some flaws in the game.
I accept. In fact I found quite a few flaws myself.

If it was completely awful would I be in the final area of the game killing those Minotaur dudes who all seem to have a 99% chance to hit me and my level 19 has a 71 with accuracy style combat option?

Jesus dude.
71% accuracy? That's fucking bullshit! I hope you pirated the game otherwise it would be totally embarrassing to pay money for a game where your accuracy doesn't go than 71%! Even fucking Akalabeth went higher than that in 79! Let's just boycott the game! Who's with me?!

Serus

Arcane
Patron
Captain Rufus:
- bla, bla, bla...
Vault Dweller:
- Captain Dufus.
CR:
- bla...
VD:
- You are not very bright, are you?
CR:
VD:
- This is beyond retarded
CR:
VD:
- Are you some kinda idiot? Be honest with us.
I must admit, i love to read intelligent discussions and well chosen arguments from time to time. Codex never fails to deliver them.

As i said - one-liners are much better.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Captain Dufus doesn't deserve anything else. A typical next-gen kid who needs the game that will play itself for him instead of actually trying to play one himself.

MetalCraze said:
Captain Dufus doesn't deserve anything else. A typical next-gen kid who needs the game that will play itself for him instead of actually trying to play one himself.

Everything wrong with the Codex in one fucking quote.

What does anyone do here if they don't like something someone says?

Insults, and anything to discount what anyone says by insisting the commenter is just some next gen gamer or a console kiddie.

Im 36 motherfucker. My first RPG was Ultima 1 in March 1988 on a Commodore 64c. My second was the original Bard's Tale.

No wonder this place is only slightly less disrespected then NMA.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Captain Rufus said:
MetalCraze said:

Everything wrong with the Codex in one fucking quote.

What does anyone do here if they don't like something someone says? someone posts something stupid?

Insults...
Fixed.

What do you do when the flaws in your position are pointed out? Claim that people are defensive fanboys. Yeah, that's mature.

Im 36 motherfucker.
And what reaction to this statement do you expect, pray tell?

No wonder this place is only slightly less disrespected then NMA.
Great closing argument.

Martin

Educated
oh for fuck's ake.

“A truly surprising twist of events.

A poster makes a stupid post -> the poster's stupidity is pointed out -> the poster makes a weak denial attempt (is that what you think? it was a joke! i was role-playing! doing research for a thesis (ExMonk) -> the denial attempt fails -> butthurt detected -> the butthurt doubles in size -> the butthurt reaches massive proportions and hits the forum like a tidal wave, followed by or wrapped in "I leave forevar! good bye, cruel world RPG Codex!" post.”

Ok you got my attention. I expected I could get back and read the replies out of curiousity and not write a single more word but this is just too much. I don’t need to wear a mask and I never really did here except for transparent joking so I think I should post just to make myself very clear and cut through some of the bullshit.

Look “Vince”, I know this is your private feud but I assure you I was not joking regarding my views of the game in question. I also was not selectively twisting around the content of my post to cover up or distort anything of what it actually says, that’s what you do. I did not deny anything, but just in case here: what I said in my OP is 100% true. Clear about the denial attempt? No denial here pal.

You can state whatever you like about my persona or my time spent in this forum, but you cannot cover up what is obvious. Just like if your game taken together can only be described as a pile of shit it will take a lot more to cover that up and actually make it a success than a niche friendly clique of sycophants and community leaders with their own vested economic interests or whose social life and status is based on this kind of community. But you already know that. And that’s why you are so careful with your fellow “indies”.

What I written is 100% true from the perspective of anyone who experienced the game in question. I experienced all of it or 99% of it. Some “reviewers” put in the same time or close and gave this steaming pile of crap top scores. For me in a scale of 1-5 it doesn’t deserve 2. Do you agree with these reviewers? Do you lie somewhere in between? Do you disagree with my original post? Do you have arguments regarding the game that disprove or invalidate my points? Please go ahead. You already got me to post again, congratulations of course. Just don’t expect for me to give in to your bullshit too much just because you are allowed to get away with one liners and have yesmen here.

It’s not my interest to make any “stink” about leaving, my leaving doesn’t need justification and validation, especially because I was never more than a tourist here.
But actually construing my post regarding the game like some sort of deluded rant that is “stupid” while not stating why in regards to the object of my post that is pretty damn low.

Unlike yourself, for me this forum isn’t actually important, as in to my life or any of my goals or interests. You have an image to project and to protect I understand, enlightened self interest and all that. I really do.

But where is my “stupidity”? Really.

I noticed you did not present a single argument regarding the points in my original point. All you did was state I was a “douchebag” because I was not polite. I stated it was not a “good post” because it is obviously not a very calm and respectful one. That however does not invalidate anything I stated about the game. I do not have to be polite. I am not a cRPG “journalist” and I am also not directly involved in the indie cRPG scene so regardless of the tone of my post and my attack to the developer I would say my comments are quite a bit more credible than yours for anyone who isn’t blind.

But it’s not like the rpgcodex has much of a claim regarding politeness and balance in a cRPG discussion or in stating opinions. So how is my rant “stupid”? How was my stupidity in the analysis of the game clearly “pointed out”?

Also when I said look at the threads I meant look at the threads. Look at the number of views of this thread for example. Quite a few of this visitors are laughing now but not at me.

The codex is a hub for cRPG fans and critics no? Or is it something else?

Its either posts aimed at attacking a mainstream industry every “serious” cRPG geek in here would join in a split second ( including you) if he/she ever had the chance or it’s the same old regurgitation of opinions and ideas. Again where is the stupidity in my post in the context of these forums?
Sorry but me being a bit of a jerk in my phrasing doesn’t qualify this post as stupid.

Can’t have people making negative comments ( even in the codex) about the crpg indie scene without irrational nostalgia, discrete pats in the back or shameless double standards can we?

So please, make all the personal attacks you want to protect your image and that of the codex because it serves you, its business I understand, but at least make a slight effort to make a reasonable defense of the game in question in relation to my negative comments. Because it you do not, I am sorry there is no basis for you or anyone to claim I was being “stupid”.

And I am not trying to “win” any forum battle here, winning would be not bothering to write this, but I guess when it comes to dealing with this kind of bullshit I am a loser in terms of self restraint.

Oh shit, a tl:dr again. Ironically and as usual one that is going to get read, a lot.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom