Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

EOTB Gold Box Style - A DC Mod Level 1

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
So a while back we were discussing the decline of cRPG's and one game mentioned was Westwood's 1990 Game Eye of the Beholder. Breaking from SSI's traditional Turn-Based combat. This game started the pop-a-mole "Action cRPG" craze we all love and enjoy now (the combat is still state based... but whatever).

SO I wondered one day, what would Eye of the Beholder be like, but in SSI's classic turn based engine? Well I stumbled upon Dungeon Craft and decided to find out. Dungeon Craft is a game engine that basically emulates the same style of the Forgotten Realms Unlimited Adventure's (FRUA) game (FRUA was basically like NWN in that you could make your own mods with it, but using the FUCKING AWESOME Gold Box combat system). I completely and as faithfully as possible replicated the map and all the events and combat exactly like the original.

So after a few months of learning this engine I present to you the first level of Eye of the Beholder using the Dungeon Craft engine.

Mod here: http://www.sendspace.com/file/hls0v2

This is a self contained zip file. You do not need to install Dungeon Craft. Just unzip and inside the Eye of the Beholder.dsn directory, click on Eye of the Beholder.exe and begin!

Some screenshots:

8790.jpg

8791.jpg

A few notes about the current state of Dungeon Craft's engine. The combat........... works. Stuff like Back-Stab and Areas of Attack do not work. That said I HAVE played the latest Beta build of Dungeon Craft and now the combat is basically just like the Gold Box Games. So I'll keep my fingers crossed for a stable later version of Dungeon Craft which I will upgrade this mod to.

Saving while "camping" (if you see the word REST at the bottom of the screen DO NOT SAVE YOUR GAME. The game will crash. That said, there are only 2 "camp" spots where the party can rest in the entire game....

To interact with items, press the L key or press LOOK at the bottom of the screen.

So have a look and maybe give this a try and see what you think.

There are 4 pre-made character if you don't want to roll your own.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
That's p. cool.

Wish there was more to do in combat than wacking each other, but it's certainly a huge improvement over the original game. Porting the whole thing sounds like a lot of work, though.

overtenemy

Augur
Cool and all but I can't help but to ask, why not just use FRUA? FRUA was great. I only ever played a few modules for it but your thread has me thinking of reacquiring it and trying more.

Anyway, if you complete the entire game in a better release of this engine you would BE A FUCKING GOD!!!

Morkar Left

That sounds really nice. I will give a try tomorrow :salute:

mondblut

Arcane
Jaesun said:
So a while back we were discussing the decline of cRPG's and one game mentioned was Westwood's 1990 Game Eye of the Beholder. Breaking from SSI's traditional Turn-Based combat. This game started the pop-a-mole "Action cRPG" craze we all love and enjoy now (the combat is still state based... but whatever).

Le fuck? EOB was a blatant ripoff of Dungeon Master with an AD&D logo slapped on it. It couldn't possibly "start" anything.

Dunno, DC could become a second coming (particularly if they spend a couple decades more on making it 100% backward-compatible with FRUA modules... the *hacked* ones, naturally), but I am not touching it until it's officially completed and everything works at least to the extent it worked in FRUA.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Excidium said:
Wish there was more to do in combat than wacking each other,

Your Mage can cast magic Missile (and hopefully by tonight Melf's Acid Arrow) and your Cleric can cast hold person on Kobolds just fine. ;)

Crooked Bee said:
:love:

I think you will like this. I will be implementing a food/starving mechanic later. It already is *kind of there (the Iron Rations). Also your characters for now cannot train if they don't find enough rations on the first level...

overtenemy said:
why not just use FRUA?

That is a valid question. The answer is it is just too dated. The hard coded only 99 events per level is honestly hair ripping (as WELL as the text limit per level). With DC, I doubt I will ever max out a level with the current hard coded 16,777,215 events and 2 billion characters of text per level... Plus I wanted to get some more content out with this DC engine. I think it will be a fantastic engine to play with.... once the combat is worked on a bit more.

mondblut said:
100% backward-compatible with FRUA modules... the *hacked* ones, naturally

I have actually already converted my first FRUA Hacked Module into DC. I'm currently making a full overland map campaign of Ray Dyer's The Realm Series. I already have Module B8 Journey to the Rock finished. Now only 7 more to go (for the West side of the realm).....

It is compatible enough with hacked modules, but there is only so much they can provide in support for hacked modules. Hacked modules for DC will likely need support from external programs, just like FRUA.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Jaesun said:
Excidium said:

Your Mage can cast magic Missile (and hopefully by tonight Melf's Acid Arrow) and your Cleric can cast hold person on Kobolds just fine. ;)
True that! Mr. Derp here forgot to memorize the spells at the beginning.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Excidium said:
Jaesun said:
Excidium said:

True that! I admit I was kinda sleepy and couldn't find a place to camp and get the spells.

oops! I should have explained the "rest system"

When you have selected your characters and begin the game, on that first screen you CAN rest there. You can tell you are in a rest area if you see the word "REST" at the bottom of the screen. Just have you magic users MEMORIZE spells (click on the MEMORIZE button) then select your spells to memorize then click on REST.

You cannot rest at all in the entire dungeon.... until you find the exit, and then you can rest, only 1 time.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Yeah I found that out just now, check that ninja edit. ;)

FFS JAESUN! FINISH LEVEL 2 YOU FAGGOT!

Cynic

Arcane
this looks totally awesome will play tonight in between smashing the Earth Temple in ToEE!

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Excidium said:
Yeah I found that out just now, check that ninja edit. ;)

FFS JAESUN! FINISH LEVEL 2 YOU FAGGOT!

WOO HOO! You get the coveted FIRST PERSON TO FINISH THE FIRST LEVEL Prize! :D

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Still working on this, Jaesun? Any success with the second level? :P I rather enjoyed the first one!

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Dear Mother of Gawd. The "Door Check" for the second level is making me RAGE. heh It's really fucking complicated. That said I am spending my time between The Realm Series (I now have TWO Modules now merged together as of right now). So you can actually play and finish 2 modules. It's also using the newer engine.

I'm currently playing, fixing bugs in the Second module of the Realm Series then will return to this.

Glad you liked it Crooked Bee! :D

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Stabwound said:
I'm surprised no one has mentioned this yet, but EOTB with Goldbox-style battles already exists - on the Gameboy Advance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zvEnxFRH3U

Sure, it's a handheld console and not PC, but it's still EoTB in Goldbox style.

Interesting. :D

I didn't know they did a DS version.

My game looks better though. God those graphics are awful.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
This project is now on hold because of the following:

The AWESOME:

1. A new function was added to a new build of the engine where I can basically move practically every single object in the game in real time (doors, overlays (graphic images of switches), backdrops etc. This is pure AWESOME.

The BAD:

1. The new function breaks my current mod entirely. So I would have to re-do every single event that opens a door or unblocks an area.

WHEN they finalize this new function and work out any bugs, I'll resume this project. The FRUA DC conversion project is where I will continue my time on modding.

Angelo85

Arcane
Patron
What's the ugly news? :lol:

To be honest I'm quite happy about this development. Maybe you even get the second FRUA DC conversion done in time so we can include the second module in the RPG of 2011 vote as it's technically a DLC without a prizetag :D

MonkeyLancer

Educated
Jaesun said:
I didn't know they did a DS version.

The DS version is also 3E too. Btw, is there any other games worth playing on DS?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom