Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Engagement System Questions

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
But not really for simple DPS maximising purposes. You switched weapons to gain a specific resistance or on-hit effect or such. Something qualitatively different instead of just quantitatively.
In a game with no hard counters, there's no difference between those things. :smug:

There's still secondary effects and resistences (just not outright).

A big problem I've noticed though with just two slots is that I have ranged and melee weapon, and that's it. I can't make changes to different types of either one without spending a talent. Well, I'm not going to spend a talent for something I can just save-load or bruteforce and switch for the next encounter.

I thought Josh was supposed to remove these "convenience" skills :M

Athelas

Arcane
You're making a choice between having versatility while in combat or having less versatility and opening up with a gun.

Although the latter is usually the best choice. Shooting enemies with your guns is fun and as it turns out, also very effective. The game is quite realistic that way.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
You're making a choice between having versatility while in combat or having less versatility and opening up with a gun.
It's a false choice because I can just save scum the meta knowledge needed.

Serpent in the Staglands Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I was wondering about that bit about per-encounter abilities being a "turn-based" mechanic myself. I guess whoever said may have intended to convey that the entire concept of "per-encounter" makes more sense in a game where there's a discrete separation between real-time non-combat mode and turn-based encounter mode? Or maybe he's just dumb
I think I said that (not going to go back through the thread to verify), and what I was getting at is that per-encounter abilities encourage using those abilities every encounter, since they are more powerful than standard attacking so not using them is just a waste. In turn-based, there's nothing wrong with this, because each turn for each character you're going to be giving them commands no matter what. In a RTwP game though, giving every class per encounter abilities increases the micromanagement by a lot. Instead of saving powerful abilities for when you need them, you might as well use all of the fighter's knockdowns every encounter because otherwise it's a wasted resource. Some people I guess think it's boring to have classes that you can tell to go hit stuff and then only give them new orders for repositioning/targeting. But these are party-based games. You have a different mix of characters with different abilities. It's OK that I don't need to micromanage my fighters because I'm micromanaging my wizards and clerics. I find myself pausing way more in PoE than IE games just to do everybody's per encounter abilities.

tdphys

Learned
I just took a look at an engagement attack, and I didn't see any kind of horrible accuracy boost... Eder walked away from 3 guys without significant damage, just a graze or two... I'm not sure engagement is that horrible of a plight for movement.

mutonizer

Arcane
Patron
I just took a look at an engagement attack, and I didn't see any kind of horrible accuracy boost... Eder walked away from 3 guys without significant damage, just a graze or two... I'm not sure engagement is that horrible of a plight for movement.

Dis-engagement attacks got +5ACC I believe.
I "think" there's also a slight damage boost though I couldn't find precisely the value of it. Through testing how, it goes seem that it's there and might range between 15 and 25%. Can't confirm though.

Ninjerk

Arcane

Dis-engagement attacks got +5ACC I believe.
I "think" there's also a slight damage boost though I couldn't find precisely the value of it. Through testing how, it goes seem that it's there and might range between 15 and 25%. Can't confirm though.
I don't think there is a damage boost (I think Anthony Davis said something about it earlier in the thread).

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Infinitron: "You should only use fast weapons against low-DR enemies." Grinning smugly, he turns and upends a large bag of enchanted daggers and rapiers onto the nearby smithery counter. "Of course, the relatively few low-DR enemies past Act 2 are either very little threat, or else you're just as well off killing them with slower, harder-hitting weapons." He accepts a fat coinpurse from the smithery clerk, and deftly adds the coins to his Jewpouch, which vanishes as quickly as it appeared. "And, well, you'll continue finding fast weapons in chests and on fallen enemies up until the end of the game. But we don't need to discuss either of those things; they're not important." He turns to leave with a wave and a wink. "Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm off to tongue-polish some footwear at the Fastness of the Obsidian Order."

1.) [Leave] Wow! You've really explored every angle of this issue and aren't biased in any way. Thank you, Infinitron.

mutonizer

Arcane
Patron
I don't think there is a damage boost (I think Anthony Davis said something about it earlier in the thread).

Yea but I've tested mostly against the first young wolf of the game, and disengagement attacks (grazes, hits, etc) consistently did more damage than normal attacks. Can't actually find the variable in the code however so can't 100% confirm it (unlike ACC, because you see in the log the +5ACC).

Orion

Cipher
It would be interesting if you could safely disengage from flanked characters. There's nothing worse than having your whole party beating on a shade while it's engaged to your mage and not being able to have your mage move away.

Positioning would be a bit more important and you'd have to make sure your tanks don't get surrounded (if the enemy AI was smart enough.)

Ninjerk

Arcane

Yea but I've tested mostly against the first young wolf of the game, and disengagement attacks (grazes, hits, etc) consistently did more damage than normal attacks. Can't actually find the variable in the code however so can't 100% confirm it (unlike ACC, because you see in the log the +5ACC).
Are they consistently doing more damage on the same types of attacks? That accuracy bonus would push the disengagement attacks up into the next category (miss->graze, graze-hit, etc.) 5% of the time so if you're taking an average know that it would be skewed.

Ninjerk

Arcane
Infinitron: "You should only use fast weapons against low-DR enemies." Grinning smugly, he turns and upends a large bag of enchanted daggers and rapiers onto the nearby smithery counter. "Of course, the relatively few low-DR enemies past Act 2 are either very little threat, or else you're just as well off killing them with slower, harder-hitting weapons." He accepts a fat coinpurse from the smithery clerk, and deftly adds the coins to his Jewpouch, which vanishes as quickly as it appeared. "And, well, you'll continue finding fast weapons in chests and on fallen enemies up until the end of the game. But we don't need to discuss either of those things; they're not important." He turns to leave with a wave and a wink. "Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm off to tongue-polish some footwear at the Fastness of the Obsidian Order."

1.) [Leave] Wow! You've really explored every angle of this issue and aren't biased in any way. Thank you, Infinitron.
:excellent:

Although it seems to me Infinitron has fanboyed less since release and is far from the worst about it.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
This is exactly the sort of game that rational people expected your "blueprint for a nigh-perfect RPG" to produce, Roguey, and that's why you're wrong. You've been wrong since 2012, and you're still wrong now.

There has never been, nor will there ever be, a nigh-perfect RPG. Yes, Obsidian's execution was flawed, but that's not the point. You were an idiot to entertain the idea that human beings could pull such a thing off in the first place, and laughably foolish to think that one vegan feminist hipster could revolutionize the genre. Not that Josh himself was trying to create a "nigh-perfect RPG," mind you. That was just your deluded interpretation based on rough-draft feature lists and sound bytes.

Regardless, PoE is still a fantastic game, despite its many flaws. That's true of all great cRPGs, including each and every Codex darling, monocled or not-so-monocled. Even Underrail has flaws. Josh himself was never quite attempting to develop a "nigh-perfect RPG", although his goals were lofty, and I think they hurt the game, in the end; it could have been better if he hadn't tried to shoehorn his arrogant crap in where it didn't belong.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
There has never been, nor will there ever be, a nigh-perfect RPG.

There are nigh-perfect games in other genres. Nothing excludes role playing games except lack of thought and obstinateness.

Regardless, PoE is still a fantastic game, despite its many flaws. That's true of all great cRPGs, including each and every Codex darling, monocled or not-so-monocled. Even Underrail has flaws. Josh himself was never quite attempting to develop a "nigh-perfect RPG", although his goals were lofty, and I think they hurt the game, in the end; it could have been better if he hadn't tried to shoehorn his arrogant crap in where it didn't belong.

Badgame disagrees. :P

I can be satisfied with role playing games with solid core gameplay. As Josh put it

In his view, "RPG developers have often misstepped in understanding why things are not fun for people."

Often, players and reviewers will say that a gameplay mechanic is "pretty good for an RPG. This is a backhanded compliment." Describing it as frustrating, he is perhaps more frustrated with developers than players: "developers think it's okay to have crummy mechanics," he said.

"I think that if you are going to have the player engage in something that's not conversation and story, it should be fun, and I get really frustrated by this."

Alas, PoE is yet another "pretty good for an RPG." I have hopes for Underrail though.

Hegel

Arcane
We don't give a fuck about what Josh says. Ultimately, we're the ones paying for the game and putting food on his table.

Raggg

Novice
Hey, didn't *I* propose the slow down mechanic? :rpgcodex:

Also, my final thoughts are that engagement causes as many problems as it's solves. It's not the worst thing in the world, but it's just treading water. That said, I don't see how anyone could call it as implemented "elegant" or "simple".
Sorry, I was just going by that one post I saw Grunker make early on in the thread.

hiver

I don't see anything wrong with engagement being a universal effect of melee combat.
If you fight up close with a dog and try to get away by turning and running, he'll lunge at you and bite you (or something like that).
Yeah well thats not what actually happens in the game, is it?

You can, at best - imagine that is what is happening, and that in a single fight or two with specific enemies but thats it.

You are not "turning and running", it happens whatever you do as soon as you move in any way, since you know, there is no option to perform any kind of side step, or attacking move or anything, while "moving" - except either facing the opponent - or NOT.
And you eat damage whenever your "not", or move in any way - while in this engagement.

With absolutely everything in the game all the time in every combat with any creature or enemy. Not just convenient dogs.
And everyone does it in a completely same way, no difference whatsoever. In anything. Automatically.

Also there are options we get for dealing with it - there are skills that increase engagement efficiency for your chars and there are other skills that offer possible ways to disengage without suffering an attack or to reduce how hard the attack hits.
After getting used to it a bit (on normal) I've switched to hard and get along quite well, using the engagement system to my advantage if possible.
Yes, but we are not discussing this in a sense of someone complaining that he fails at playing this mind-numbingly simple system, but that we dont fucking like playing this implementation for variety of reasons.
Its not bloody too complicated to get, or to play - its sucks playing it.

and, the items and skills you can get or take to basically remove it ... all they do is remove it. ok? its an absence of any kind of gameplay, a negation of options and possibilities.

In this case it minimizes or removes something that is not good to play "with".
so, you know... big deal?

Would it be that bad if the fighters had one more icon next to knockdown, like engage?
And if you would use it yourself, tactically.
What if it had options and talents to choose that modify it?

what if you would look at enemy composition and immediately tell if they have any fighters and what that will mean in a fight so you prepare for it tactically instead of every fuckin critter doing the same.

Isnt the most normal simple Ai capable of just attacking an enemy who is in range of its weapons? So if you dont have any "engagement" as it is now, and you move your character in combat, to sidestep or edge away a bit to the side or whatever smaller move you need - and the enemy keeps hitting you while you move... right? Isnt that enough already? In that most basic form, you still get hit while you are not hitting the other gay.
Why then have another extra damage that "magically" appears whatever youre doing with any enemy in the game... automatic, all the time, without your input or anything - how the fuck is that fun and engaging?

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
The Engagement system can work pretty ridiculously in your favor, too. When I was slaughtering all the priests in Raedric's Hold, I had five or six of them queued up and stuck between two pews, with Eder and my Rogue plugging either end. It was like an industrial car-crusher.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Patch Notes said:
  • Arbalest damage has been lowered.
  • Fast melee weapons do slightly more damage.
  • Slight bump to sabre damage.

Infinitron
:smug: + :smug: + :smug: = :smug::smug::smug:

Hmmm... :smug: wonder why they made THAT change... :smug: hmmm.... :smug:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom