Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Emulation central - recommendations in 1st post

dunno lah

Arcane
zsnes had terrible sound emulation when I tried it. So I immediately switched to snes9x.

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
1.7.X dropped already and it came with a bunch of fixes to the problems mentioned in the video.

iZerw

Arcane
Vatnik
Guys, need help! Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne last git build. Everything is too blury, movement and camera changing fells like in slow-mo. Changed CRC hacks to aggressive still issues remain.

Ranarama

Learned
1.7.X dropped already and it came with a bunch of fixes to the problems mentioned in the video.

Online for Mario Maker? I'm excited for that. Modern Nintendo games without the terrible hardware? Sign me up.

Are Wii U isos supposed to be 20 fucking gigabytes?

edit: tried Mario Kart 8 and Xenoblade Chronicles 2 on 1.7.0d today. Mario Kart 8 is visually almost perfect, but I can't get a locked 60fps on it - fluctuates between 55, 57 and so on. I have an i7 running at 4.3ghz and a gtx 1070... there are people who report getting a perfect 60fps lock on stock i5s, but honestly I don't know if that's bullshit. Sounds like it.

I am using downloaded shader caches and my drops in framerate are not related to caching shaders.

Xenoblade Chronicles seemed to run at a locked 30 most of the time (as in the original hardware) but the UI is so fucking horrendous that I couldn't play for very long.

Anyone else out there running it?

Last edited:

spekkio

Arcane
Guys, need help! Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne last git build. Everything is too blury, movement and camera changing fells like in slow-mo. Changed CRC hacks to aggressive still issues remain.
Try latest official (1.4.0?) + these patches:
http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/streamlining-megami-tensei-ps2-games.111194/

Are Wii U isos supposed to be 20 fucking gigabytes?
:smug:

Anyone else out there running it?
I'm only interested in Bayos, for obv. reasons:

18j4t12xajjy1jpg.jpg

:obviously:

After testing a few things, I can say that the game that runs best right now is Super Mario 3D World. It's really good, too.

However, I'm having annoying frame pacing issues with Cemu - it's not stutter (in SM3DW my almost never dips below 60, and this happens when the framerate is locked at 60), it's just strange judder like you have when display is trying to cope with a framerate that's not an exact multiple of its refresh rate. It happens all the time and is really fucking distracting. I guess most people don't notice it but it really bothers me.

I used to get a similar things with older builds of PCSX2 - I'm really not sure what it is, it's not vsync or lack thereof, it's nothing to do with slowdown, it's just a weird judder. Maybe it's an OpenGL timing issue. Hopefully they'll iron this out.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
SMT: Nocturne plays 100% perfect for me on latest PCSX2 build, all settings on default, iZerw.

Glad I could help you troubleshoot!

flyingjohn

Arcane
All this new console talk is pure decline so here is some old gen good news:
https://board.byuu.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1493
Higan v102 released,adding support for Sega Master System (Mark III), Sega Game Gear, Sega Mega Drive (Genesis), and NEC PC Engine (Turbografx-16).(these are still in testing and looks like will be the last added console emulation for higan)
As for pcsx2 the newest git builds have fixed mipmapping issues(the only major pcsx2 issue),so any leftover issues are ps2 hardware quirks that might get fixed in the future.
And for anybody looking for good wii-u games in terms of rpg's both xenoblade and tokyo mirage fit the bill perfectly.

Perkel

Arcane
Before you blame pcsx2 for being inaccurate, you should understand that the machine hardware architecture has no good equivalents on pc. It's a small miracle that pcsx2 even works so well as it does considering how complex the multiprocessor GPU design of the console is and how its floating point instructions aren't even IBM-PC compatible (the different FP rounding modes per game on the database, are essentially inaccurate speed hacks).

Therefore, if you expect to switch to a 'better more accurate' emulator, you better have some super science 2030 machine because it would have to be all in software.

It's very similar to the N64 situation (though i personally think it's better). And even if you had a perfect software renderer, probably no one would use it unless forced to because of increased image quality in hardware for multiple reasons (like in N64 emulators).

That is true. But you can't throw away of what i said. WiiU also isn't x86 nor 3DS is.
Xbox on other hand was x86 and till this day we don't have properly working emulator that can play all games, precisely because there isn't any documentation despite the fact that is using similar hardware to pc.

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Anyone got advice on Twilight Princess on Dolphin vs Twilight Princess HD on CEMU?

Gut and brain says that Dolphin is the better choice, but obv there's potential that the HD re-release is better. idk what the breakdown is with upscaled Twilight Princess vs Twilight Princess HD. 1440p monitor 2500k @4.0 ghz

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
oasis789
Perkel

I just wanna play "Wizardry: Labyrinth of Lost Souls". it is available for:

- PSN release (however it is proving impossible to find a working torrent of the .pkg file)
- iOS
- Android

What's the state of iOS emulation? Like I said, I really wanna play this... am willing to even create a new partition and install iOS.

However, would be much, much easier to play it on Android. I have a Samsung tablet, and I *could* torrent it from the actual Tablet itself and play the cracked .apk, but I *loathe* using touch-controls. The thought of playing through this Wizardry game by tapping my tablet screen is abhorrent.

I googled Android emulators and am downloading BlueStacks, AndyOS and KO Player. I have no idea how to use them.

Any tips? I *assume* that these PC emulators (of Android OS) allow one to use your mouse-pointer to "touch", right? That would be my preferred way of playing this game.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Urthor

Just play Twilight Princess on the GameCube emulator. Whatsitsname... Dolphin? I remember I played it on that and it was fantastic, and it was back in 2013.

60fps, plus filters and anti-aliasing. Played like a dream.

EDIT: BTW, my hardware is...

- AMD Quad-Core 3.0GHz (around 5 years old now)
- AMD Radeon HD 6550 (around 7 years old now)
- 4GB RAM DDR3 (around 8 years old now)

Still the same hardware I'm rocking today in 2017, and with this ancient PC I can run most 3DS games just fine on CITRA, and like I just mentioned: with those specs I played Twilight Princess on Dolphin with all the bells and whistles in 720p.

Unless you have a super-duper fancy PC I really, REALLY can't imagine TP: HD running well on CEMU.

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
60 FPS on a Bulldozer CPU, christ Dolphin is amazing.

That's what I assumed, will do.

tet666

Augur
Anyone got advice on Twilight Princess on Dolphin vs Twilight Princess HD on CEMU?

Gut and brain says that Dolphin is the better choice, but obv there's potential that the HD re-release is better. idk what the breakdown is with upscaled Twilight Princess vs Twilight Princess HD. 1440p monitor 2500k @4.0 ghz

Hmm TP HD on Cemu looks definitely a lot better to me especially now in 4k it also has a bonus Dungeon via Amiibo (get the nfc file online) unfortunately music is a bit broken apart from that it runs fine i played trough it recently.
Post processing is a bit broken in Dolphin and textures look like total ass, there are HD texture packs but they all look shit or are very unfinished not one reaches the quality of Tantalus HD port .
So pick your poison it's either broken music but nice visuals or shit visuals and good music personally i just muted the music https://www.reddit.com/r/cemu/comme...ss_hd_mute_music_mod/?st=iy6ywjlv&sh=2375ed0b and played it in cemu with a playlist of the orchestra soundtrack in the background or you could just wait till they fix it.

Last edited:

flyingjohn

Arcane
Just a heads up for rpc3,you need to download the LLE files(they are like the bios files for previous emulators)to actually get it to work.
And then you need to experiment with different libraries to see which combination gets specific games running.
Bonus videos of some games running fine:

As for anybody wondering about andorid emulation you can always try Nox App Player or AMIDuos(avoid bluestacks).

Last edited:

Perkel

Arcane
Perkel
flyingjohn

is there any type of ps3 emulator? even like, one that barely plays?

RPCS3. I don't follow it so idk in what state it is. I remember 2 years ago booting some games with heavy glitches.

PS3 emulation will be real pain with about 5 SPU cores being used by some games.

tet666

Augur
Perkel
flyingjohn

is there any type of ps3 emulator? even like, one that barely plays?

RPCS3. I don't follow it so idk in what state it is. I remember 2 years ago booting some games with heavy glitches.

PS3 emulation will be real pain with about 5 SPU cores being used by some games.

It's still pretty shit but they started a Patreon page now https://www.patreon.com/Nekotekina aka cemu to allow some of their more talented Devs to spend more time on it, it's open source but i think that's ok since those people need to eat too and this will allow them to get a few bucks they would have to earn with other work otherwise.

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
I'll sample HD and see how it floats then. Assuming the CMU has only gotten better over time, maybe 1.7 will have solved the music issues

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom