Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Emulation central - recommendations in 1st post

sullynathan

Arcane
I'll download it. I tried shadow of the colossus on a new computer and I'm quite impressed by it. I can get it to run at 1080p and 60fps with no slow downs. The first boss fight was easy but the scale is amazing.

I'm still stuck on finding a working version of devil may cry 3. The pc version is fucked with the controls while the emulated one is missing the UI.

Metroid Prime now runs great too.

tet666

Augur
Dunno about regular Dolphin since i have not used it in years but Ishiiruka definitely doesn't make profiles per game for the gfx.ini, you have to edit a config yourself in the properties of the game and manually input your settings there which is a huge pain in the ass and not all of settings work like they do in the gfx.ini especially with Ishiiruka and all of it's special settings which are not in the regular version, i ended up just making folders for every game and copying the gfx.ini with the settings i made for every game there and manually copy/pasting them back before i play a game, they should really implement something like a automatic profile manager some time, at least Ishiiruka does save the shader settings in game profiles so i don't have to do that as well.

Last edited:

spekkio

Arcane
BROS, OP has been declined. :obviously:
  • Added Ishiiruka builds of Dolphin,
  • Moved Citra to the main list: DynaRec is now merged into the official build,
  • Removed links for DeSmuME X: no longer updated + obsolete (retroarch core includes ITZ options),
  • Replaced SSF and Yabause with Mednafen-Saturn retroarch core. Resistance is futile. Included link for new Bios Pack.
  • Added link for Decaf (Wii U emu).
I was also thinking about removing epsxe alltogether, since it's becoming more and more obsolete. Esp. when Mednafen has 2x (and higher) internal now:

rwHzEM2.jpg

RGgynTv.jpg

Tried contacting Gragt about this, but it looks like he's too busy ATM:

vXWG1b6.png

iZzXGs4.jpg

:salute:

Last edited:

A user named cat

spekkio You shouldn't remove SSF from the list. Mednafen's Saturn emulation is not perfect yet and does not play all games, Area 51 is one example that I've come across and I'm sure there are more which SSF runs just fine. SSF also has support for more input devices. This is why you keep both emulators.

You also should not remove Desmume standalone. It is needed for games like Hotel Dusk, Last Window and a bunch more which are played horizontally and require Desmume's rotation options which RA seems to lack entirely still. Otherwise you'll be playing them upside down as you can only change the screen layout.

RetroArch
f4Tb5h.png

Desmume
nZ43IB.png

Last edited by a moderator:

A user named cat

With help from Phantasmal, the OP has been declined even more slightly inclined. :obviously:
:bro:

I used Launchbox for a while but will shift to Retroarch.
I think you're confused. Launchbox is an entire frontend, similar to Hyperspin, EmulationStation and GameEx. RetroArch is essentially an emulator itself which uses system cores, not something to be used to launch other separate emulators. You would use Launchbox to run RetroArch, and also to display artwork, videos, etc. I'd recommend RocketLauncher combined with a frontend, which is used to setup your systems while the frontend shows off the artwork and does the navigation. At least if you plan on setting up a bunch of systems.

http://www.rlauncher.com/forum/vbdownloads.php?do=download&downloadid=1

tet666

Augur
Is there a way to remove shadow of colossus motion blur? It's going to kill me while playing.

Not that i'm aware of, they implemented it to make the abysmal framerate bearable on the ps2, dunno of pcsx2 (likely as well if the emulation is accurate but pcsx2 lacks a real game speed counter and only shows the emulation speed so i'm not sure) but on a real ps2 it often runs at 20fps and lower
here is a comparison with the ps3 remaster i think they lowered the motionblur in the remaster as well but dunno for sure since i didn't play it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_GLmE7ZBPE

sullynathan

Arcane
Is there a way to remove shadow of colossus motion blur? It's going to kill me while playing.

Not that i'm aware of, they implemented it to make the abysmal framerate bearable on the ps2, dunno of pcsx2 (likely as well if the emulation is accurate but pcsx2 lacks a real game speed counter and only shows the emulation speed so i'm not sure) but on a real ps2 it often runs at 20fps and lower
here is a comparison with the ps3 remaster i think they lowered the motionblur in the remaster as well but dunno for sure since i didn't play it.

PCSX2 tells me I'm running it at 100% speed at 60fps but there are certain points when I turn the camera, where it either looks like the frames dropped or the motion blur just hurts my eyes.

Walden

Savant
I think you're confused. Launchbox is an entire frontend, similar to Hyperspin, EmulationStation and GameEx. RetroArch is essentially an emulator itself which uses system cores, not something to be used to launch other separate emulators. You would use Launchbox to run RetroArch, and also to display artwork, videos, etc. I'd recommend RocketLauncher combined with a frontend, which is used to setup your systems while the frontend shows off the artwork and does the navigation. At least if you plan on setting up a bunch of systems.

http://www.rlauncher.com/forum/vbdownloads.php?do=download&downloadid=1
Thanks for the clarification, I though RA was a less garnished frontend with its own emulators builds. I'll give both a try.

tet666

Augur

PCSX2 tells me I'm running it at 100% speed at 60fps but there are certain points when I turn the camera, where it either looks like the frames dropped or the motion blur just hurts my eyes.

Yes that's what i meant accurate emulation will have the same slowdowns as the real hardware, pcsx2 only shows the speed of the emulation not the actual fps of the game.
Anyway make sure not use negative EE Cyclerate values or VU Cycle Stealing speedhacks as they will make the frameskipping of the engine kick in which will make it far worse.
You can try to up EE Cyclerate a bit which will overclock the virtual cpu and in theory this should increase the actual real gameplay fps and lower the amount of motion blur but it will of course decrease performance and it can produce glitches as well.

Last edited:

Hirato

Purse-Owner
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Retroarch has the absolute worst interface I've ever used, bar none.
Installed it the other day to play some DS games and I had to fight that piece of shit for a good 30 minutes just to configure my controller properly.
In the end it was the autoconfig that kept fucking it up and failed to recognise over half the buttons properly.

Is an xb360 controller working out of the box too goddamn much to ask for?

A user named cat

Retroarch has xinput so you shouldn't have to configure a thing with a 360 controller, I've never had to. No idea what you struggled with but it sounds like a problem on your end. Do you have the xbox drivers properly installed?

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Same experience as Phantasmal, but I believe Hirato is on linux so no xinput.

That said, when using controllers without (or without good) autoconfigs, I've never had to do more than go through bind all, which takes ~30 seconds.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
Yeah the interface sucks, I wish there was some nerd with a lot of time on his hands to make a proper desktop gui for it.

Hirato

Purse-Owner
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I fought the interface for about 30 minutes until I realised I need to turn off the auto-config before I plug it in.
I'd plug it in, and it was autoconfigured into a retarded state, and the cursor would fly everywhere and I'd be powerless to stop it, then I'd plug it out and the binds were automatically undone.
then I'd try a difference input driver, then it wouldn't see the controller at all, or it would see everything but the dpad, or recognise everything but the trigger buttons, etc, etc.
And it did this irrespective of whether I was using the xpad kernel driver, or the xboxdrv userspace driver for the controller itself (I use this one with --square-axis for PCSX2, so the corners are <1,1> instead of <0.7, 0.7>)

I've configured it to use SDL2 as the input driver, so it's definitely a retroarch issue.

I've SDL2 a bunch myself to add controller support to things, so let me tell you just how ridiculously easy it is to do:
SDL2 gained what is known as the 'gamecontroller' API (https://wiki.libsdl.org/CategoryGameController).
If you want to use it, It is literally this easy if you don't care to support hotplugging or any other weird features (for hotplugging you'd need to track the device id, and listen for the plugged in and unplugged events in your eventloop)
Code:
for(int i = 0; i < SDL_NumJoysticks(); ++i)
{
   if(!SDL_IsGameController(i)) continue;

SDL_GameControllerOpen(i)
}

You can even look at the enumerations and you'll see exactly what this API was made for:
here's the one for the axis
Code:
SDL_CONTROLLER_AXIS_INVALID
SDL_CONTROLLER_AXIS_LEFTX
SDL_CONTROLLER_AXIS_LEFTY
SDL_CONTROLLER_AXIS_RIGHTX
SDL_CONTROLLER_AXIS_RIGHTY
SDL_CONTROLLER_AXIS_TRIGGERLEFT
SDL_CONTROLLER_AXIS_TRIGGERRIGHT
SDL_CONTROLLER_AXIS_MAX

here's the one for the buttons
Code:
SDL_CONTROLLER_BUTTON_INVALID
SDL_CONTROLLER_BUTTON_A
SDL_CONTROLLER_BUTTON_B
SDL_CONTROLLER_BUTTON_X
SDL_CONTROLLER_BUTTON_Y
SDL_CONTROLLER_BUTTON_BACK
SDL_CONTROLLER_BUTTON_GUIDE
SDL_CONTROLLER_BUTTON_START
SDL_CONTROLLER_BUTTON_LEFTSTICK
SDL_CONTROLLER_BUTTON_RIGHTSTICK
SDL_CONTROLLER_BUTTON_LEFTSHOULDER
SDL_CONTROLLER_BUTTON_RIGHTSHOULDER
SDL_CONTROLLER_BUTTON_DPAD_UP
SDL_CONTROLLER_BUTTON_DPAD_DOWN
SDL_CONTROLLER_BUTTON_DPAD_LEFT
SDL_CONTROLLER_BUTTON_DPAD_RIGHT
SDL_CONTROLLER_BUTTON_MAX

It's so ridiculously easy to use, I don't see how this can even be an issue, but yet it is.

flyingjohn

Arcane
I played it for five minutes and was surprised and how well it ran in citra (bleeding edge) until I realized that this was basically a DS game on 3DS.

Actually it is even less of a ds game considering you could actually explore stuff in hotel dusk and last window.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
The only games i bothered to try to run in the shitputer in citra were DS ports (the devil survivors). They worked better than expected and others, but not well enough.

Epsilon

Cipher
Retroarch has the absolute worst interface I've ever used, bar none.
Installed it the other day to play some DS games and I had to fight that piece of shit for a good 30 minutes just to configure my controller properly.
In the end it was the autoconfig that kept fucking it up and failed to recognise over half the buttons properly.

Using version 1.3.6 I tried plugging in a 360 controller and a ps4 controller and they worked right off the bat. Were you using the development build?
Also consider only using retroarch as an emulator, not a frontend in itself. You have attract-mode, retrofe or even phoenix for that :)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom