Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Emulation central - recommendations in 1st post

A user named cat

How pointless. I also read ZSNES will have an update coming as well which is equally laughable. What is the point? Why use these old, inaccurate shitty emulators? They need to be laid to rest. Mednafen is basically like 99.998% accurate and compatible. You also don't have to dick around with annoying plugins, hacks or workarounds. It just works and does the job correctly.

On a more interesting note: Vulkan has been released and Retroarch already has added support for it.

https://www.reddit.com/r/emulation/comments/4635jz/vulkan_api_is_out/

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Retroarch already use it? Color me surprised. Though it take some time but here it is.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
How pointless. I also read ZSNES will have an update coming as well which is equally laughable. What is the point? Why use these old, inaccurate shitty emulators?
You shut your whore mouth when talking about the glorious ZSNES!

See this?

84442,O.png

To me that's almost as iconic & nostalgic as the actual Super Nintendo itself.

A user named cat

That still doesn't mean there is any point whatsoever to updating it. The BSNES accuracy core is 100% accurate and compatible with all SNES games:

http://wiki.libretro.com/index.php?title=Nintendo_SNES_Core_Compatibility

I'm tired of stupid emu authors wasting their time on systems that don't need their input. I saw there's ANOTHER PS1 emulator now being worked on called PSXACT. Who the fuck asked for this and who needs it when Mednafen exists? Why don't these retards combine their efforts and work on like N64, Jaguar, Saturn, Dreamcast, 3DO or Atari ST? These are systems with very few decent emulators and lots of issues still.

A user named cat

Hey if anyone here uses Desmume in RetroArch, which you should because it has much smoother vsync than standalone, then you may want this. If you hadn't noticed, the audio sounds awful now and has for the past year if you use the libretro. That's because someone did that on purpose by removing interpolation. Whether it's more accurate or not I really don't know but the current sound is awful to the ears and full of distortion and scratchy highs.

https://github.com/libretro/desmume/issues/60#issuecomment-143293617

Well luckily I hunted down the version from before this change which has vastly better audio. So if anyone needs it, here you go. Stick it in your "Cores" folder: http://www.mediafire.com/download/35alw9vus1p26xd/Desmume_Core_(Good_Audio).zip

A user named cat

does retroarch support desmume x432
Is that the fork of Desmume with all the scaling options? I don't know but I saw in the core options in RA you can set an internal resolution which may be the same as what x432 does, I'm not sure though and never messed with it.

For Atari ST/STE/TT/Falcon - HATARI works pretty well
http://hatari.tuxfamily.org/
While Hitari is probably the best option for Atari ST as far as compatibility goes, it has some annoying scaling issues. I could never find a way to get it to stretch to full screen while keeping aspect ratio, so it was stuck playing in a small box inside a window. Steem SSE isn't as accurate but doesn't have the scaling issues. It also lets you fast forward through any disk loading and menu screens with a shortcut key. Hitari's implementation of this is half-assed and doesn't work in game. This is a deal breaker when you're playing these old disk-based systems that take eons to load menu screens and such.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
How pointless. I also read ZSNES will have an update coming as well which is equally laughable. What is the point? Why use these old, inaccurate shitty emulators? They need to be laid to rest. Mednafen is basically like 99.998% accurate and compatible. You also don't have to dick around with annoying plugins, hacks or workarounds. It just works and does the job correctly.

On a more interesting note: Vulkan has been released and Retroarch already has added support for it.

Considering the new epsxe is more accurate than mednafen according to the unit tests... and that it actually has the 'GTE accuracy hack' and a hardware renderer... and that i don't need to uncompress games to play them there...

I'm just waiting for the linux version lol (pcsx-r is really gnarly).

No Great Name

Arcane
Considering the new epsxe is more accurate than mednafen according to the unit tests... and that it actually has the 'GTE accuracy hack' and a hardware renderer... and that i don't need to uncompress games to play them there...
I thought mednafen was practically as accurate as it gets. What is the new epsxe doing that mednafen doesn't for accuracy?

A user named cat

I'm just waiting for the linux version lol (pcsx-r is really gnarly).
Sorry but a plugin-based emulator that uses hacks and workarounds is never going to be more accurate than Mednafen or even archaic Xebra. Literally makes zero sense. The only claims I saw were some 4chan retards regurgitating compatibility numbers given by epsxe devs themselves. Who knows how many different plugins were required or settings had to be tweaked to achieve those supposed stats. Who knows how true any of it is either.

That also doesn't mean anything when it comes to visual and audio accuracy either. To even get remotely accurate graphics in epsxe, you have to use gpubladesoft plugin which has a number of bugs and issues itself in various games. So take all that into consideration in regards to actual accuracy between the emulators. With Mednafen, you boot the game up and like Todd says, "It just works." No tweaking required and it looks correct.

Let's put it this way, I have yet to come across a PS1 game that doesn't run in it. So any games that don't boot are likely some shitty obscure Japanese titles.

Last edited by a moderator:

iZerw

Arcane
Vatnik
According to this the new ePSXe is more accurate than medhafen ps1 core but:
Like all hardware tests, these shouldn't be taken too seriously, and are certainly not a direct measure of an emulator's accuracy. ePSXe in particular seems to deliberately target these tests(partly by using the Amidog software GPU plugin), at the expense of accuracy, rather than for the sake of it, as using the plugins and settings that would get these results causes serious bugs in actual games.
All in all I'm gald we have a bunch of pretty accurate emulators for ps1. Still waiting for a decent N64 emulator :negative:

yes plz

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Man, MGS3 still runs like shit for no apparent reason in PCSX2. Anyone got any suggested settings for it so that the FPS during cutscenes don't randomly drop by half?

A user named cat

According to this the new ePSXe is more accurate than medhafen ps1 core but:
Like all hardware tests, these shouldn't be taken too seriously, and are certainly not a direct measure of an emulator's accuracy. ePSXe in particular seems to deliberately target these tests(partly by using the Amidog software GPU plugin), at the expense of accuracy, rather than for the sake of it, as using the plugins and settings that would get these results causes serious bugs in actual games.
All in all I'm gald we have a bunch of pretty accurate emulators for ps1. Still waiting for a decent N64 emulator :negative:
Yeah a bunch of numbers prove absolutely nothing with how accurate a game will appear, sound or if it's even completable. Don't know why anyone would quote those pointless tests. I explained everything above really, so there's not much more to add. I look forward to the day that all plugin-based emulators are dead and buried in a hole.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
what's with this obsession with playing emulated games with shitty accurate visuals?

isn't the point of emulation to play old games with better graphics? sigh... kids today...

who the fuck wants to play a ps1 game that looks like a ps1 game. ps1 games look TERRIBLE.

Siveon

Bot
what's with this obsession with playing emulated games with shitty accurate visuals?

isn't the point of emulation to play old games with better graphics? sigh... kids today...

who the fuck wants to play a ps1 game that looks like a ps1 game. ps1 games look TERRIBLE.
I think the "obsession" in accuracy was not in the visuals but in the performance. Just as well, upscaled graphics look wonky on pre-rendered backgrounds. I like the fuzz sometimes.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
upscaling is very good for font readability and most of the games i play on emulators are all about the font. there are quite a few NDS games i simply can't play on desmume and have to play on desmumeX432 with 4x increased internal resolution. what you mention about 2d sprites on 3d backgrounds and vice-versa is a big part of ps1-era graphics and it's unfortunate.

i've never used mednafen so i don't know what it can do. i'm currently playing through wizardry gaiden 5: dimguil on ePSXe and the game looks like hot garbage but the difference in bumping up the internal resolution makes a world of difference on the font. does mednafen offer internal resolution upscaling? that's really the only option i use on ePSXe. i used to mess around with shaders but was never satisfied with any one single shader. the only one i would use would probably be good old fashioned HQ4x shader filter and i mostly only use it to smooth out aliased font.

Siveon

Bot
I'd have to disagree. I don't mess with PS1 emulators much, but the fonts on SNES and PS2 games look absolutely terrible upscaled.

DS games look just fine on their original hardware, oddly enough. Can't imagine playing it on computers.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
yes because of the screen. playing an NDS game on regular desmume is, um, not a good experience.

here is dq9 with native resolution:

now with 4x internal resolution on x432 branch:

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
here is a screenshot of wiz 5 on epsxe with everything on "Fast" (i.e. all of the bells and whistles turned off):

here is a screenshot of the same scene in wiz 5, on "Fast" as well but with the HQ4x filter turned on:

i'm not saying it looks objectively better but it looks much more readable to me personally which is why i use the filter(s) on some games.

A user named cat

What is the point? Why use these old, inaccurate shitty emulators?
Because sometimes you want to play games on a system where most of the 'accurate' emulators run like shit?
What kind of rig can't run Mednafen or bsnes? A Pentium II from 1997? Buy a core i3 mobo/ram combo off newegg, ebay or something, and stick it in a tower. There's always a way and no excuse to be gaming on some caveman PC.

Siveon

Bot
Oh, nice. I'd always stick to the original hardware for handhelds, but at least I get to demo the more expensive/not worth it sort of games.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom