Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Empire Total War

Morkar Left

TL/DR: How is it now?

After release generally everybody said that the game is a piece of shit with enormous bugs, retarded AI and nonexistant modding abilities. Because of that I didn't bother to try the game.

At the moment I'm in the mood of playing strategy games in the age of sail / imperialism era. So far I played Imperial Glory (with a mod to tweak overpowered militia). It has its weaknesses but I'm enjoying it.

I wonder if E:TW is better than Imperial Glory after the patches. Plus I noticed there are big mods for it available. Any recommendations? I'm looking especially at this Darthmod. Is it as good as its hyped?

And how does it compare to the Napoleon standalone?

Morkar Left

Flying Spaghetti Monster said:
:cough: EU3 :cough:

I know and I have the complete collection with addons. But the combat part is lacking and I'm in the mood for some battle decisions and combat stats (land and naval).

Renegen

Arcane
I didn't like it. The interface is bad, everything is too small and the game tries to add EU3 complexity without succeeding. The battles are fun though, tho apparently the AI is as broken as ever.

MetalCraze

Arcane
You can fix bugs
You can't fix the broken design

ETW is waaaaay too dumbed down for masses

Same units dub as melee and ranged
Primitive 4 wall forts instead of proper sieges
AI is more oblivious to everything around it than ever

It's like TW for a very casual gamer

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Morkar said:
I wonder if E:TW is better than Imperial Glory after the patches.

Yes.

Plus I noticed there are big mods for it available. Any recommendations? I'm looking especially at this Darthmod. Is it as good as its hyped?

Personally, I think it improves the game a lot. Larger and better battles, better AI, more units... but the bad thing about Empire is that the modders haven't figured out yet how to change the campaign map so there's still stupid shit like France and Spain only being one province.

And how does it compare to the Napoleon standalone?

Napoleon has better battles and a more balanced campaign map, but the problem with it is that it's really small compared to other TW titles including Empire, and the fact that it's standalone instead of an expansion means that none of the improvements carry over to Empire, which is a real pity.

Overall, I found Empire to be worth 15 euros, but it's the weakest of the series and I really hope that the modding community figures out how to change more things so they can do their magic and improve the game even more. As it is, Empire with DarthMod is already quite fun but there are some things that still need improvement.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Empire is an unredeemable piece of shit that got filled with a shitload of dlc that never actually made the game any better. Napoleon was the update/dlc they then released as a whole new game to see just how many suckers would buy it. Avoid.

And Darthmod ruins it even further by introducing lots of nonsensical shit that makes little to no sense. Not to mention that he has to insert his horrid fucking Darth Vader avatar all over the game. Have fun listening to Darth Vader battle advisor in a game about the 1800's.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Trash said:
And Darthmod ruins it even further by introducing lots of nonsensical shit that makes little to no sense. Not to mention that he has to insert his horrid fucking Darth Vader avatar all over the game. Have fun listening to Darth Vader battle advisor in a game about the 1800's.

Wait what? Luckily I always disable advisors, and only come in contact with his Darth Vader shtick in the launcher and the intro movies, which isn't too annoying. Couldn't care less about him sticking it in the launcher, intros and main menu, as long as the game itself isn't filled with it.

Morkar Left

Thanks your input guys. Ok, I think I will try Empire after playing Imperial Glory but will have low expectations.

Imerial Glory is really entertaining for me. The Campaign map is fast going, you have always enough to do and things to spend resources on. Peaceful occupations of other countries is a big plus, too. Only downside is the linear techtree and the ai is a bit to passive on the map (will try harder difficulty soon). More fun than the campaign map in TW:M2

The rt battles are ok except the ship combat and troops change their formation direction a bit too much to face the enemy. The AI even managed to surprise me in my last battle with outmanouvering my formation.

Darthmod sounds really good from the descriptions but having Vader actually in the game is rageinducing. Maybe it is possible to madify (typo, but kept it in for personal amusement) and just change it back to the old images? Shouldn't be to hard?

Shannow

Waster of Time
I'm playing Empire at the moment and I like it far better than Shogun 2.
There is a lot of stuff to criticise in Empire but most of it is minor and have been problems in CA since forever. I don't get why Empire is supposed to be dumbed down, though. If anything it's more complex (while still transparent) than older titles.
When I played the DarthMod a year ago it was fucking shit. Don't get why so many people saliver over it.

MetalCraze

Arcane
It's dumbed down because it requires zero tactics on the battlefield.

Due to units having multiple roles.

In previous games each unit had its own task and you were to use them to win.

Here it's just... Fire and then rush into melee.

Storming the fort? Just run to it with your infantry and they will climb onto walls

Too fucking simple.

IIRC the campaign map also had dumbing down with invisible reinforcements.

Shannow

Waster of Time
MetalCraze said:

Storming the fort? Just run to it with your infantry and they will climb onto walls

Too fucking simple.

IIRC the campaign map also had dumbing down with invisible reinforcements.
Ah, in the battles. You sounded as if you were talking about the campaign.
In the battles:
1. You still have troops that are very good at certain roles and suck at others (cavalry for quick sudden strikes, irregulars for skirmishing, meleers for melee, etc.).
2. It's pretty much how wars were fought at the time. Line Infantery was your basic combat unit. The backbone of any army.
3. It introduces complexities as to "when" to plug in the bayonet and charge, when to research bayonets, how to deal with the disadvantages, etc.

The dynamics are changed, but I don't see the dumbing down (apart from too low morale so that the ADD kiddies don't get distracted).

Sieges are shit, though.

"Invisible reinforcements"?

MetalCraze

Arcane
Battles are the main point of TW since it sucks so hard at managerial part (that's why Paradox games)

You still have troops that are very good at certain roles and suck at others (cavalry for quick sudden strikes, irregulars for skirmishing, meleers for melee, etc.).
I -still- have some yes.
Compared to earlier TWs where I -had- them.

The variety suffered greatly, especially in comparison with Medieval

It's pretty much how wars were fought at the time.

How convenient, eh?

"Invisible reinforcements"

I remember the need to move your new troops to connect them to another army was simplified or something. But it was 3 years ago or so so I don't remember precisely enough to swear by it

Are grenadiers still ridiculously overpowered? At launch I would just set up my infantry and have grenadiers turn the flanks with one or two grenades, then it was easy to envelop the enemy.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Morkar said:
Darthmod sounds really good from the descriptions but having Vader actually in the game is rageinducing. Maybe it is possible to madify (typo, but kept it in for personal amusement) and just change it back to the old images? Shouldn't be to hard?

He's in the launcher, which isn't ingame (more like a list of options you can pick before launching the game), and there's the Imperial March as main menu theme (which can be switched off in the launcher) and there's his logo in the intro (just like the SEGA and CA logos in vanilla). Trash says the battle advisor is also Darth Vader but since I never use the advisors (really, what for, I always switch them off in all TW games) I didn't even know that.

The game itself doesn't have any immersion-breaking Darth Vaders in it.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
MetalCraze said:

Too fucking simple.

Yeah well that was how battles back then were fought. You had line infantry which could shoot and then charge with bayonets, you had cavalry to charge the enemy lines from the flanks, from behind, or while they reload, and you had some specialized infantry such as grenadiers and sharpshooters.

Some nations still have specialized melee units which will beat line infantry in a melee fight but they're much less useful due to close-range musket volleys raping them before they reach the enemy.

Also yeah the sieges are pretty much shit, which is too bad since I'd loved to have seen proper star fort mechanics in the game. All infantry having grappling hooks is retarded, they should've kept in ladders that have to be constructed for a turn before being able to take the walls.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
JarlFrank said:
Morkar said:

He's in the launcher, which isn't ingame (more like a list of options you can pick before launching the game), and there's the Imperial March as main menu theme (which can be switched off in the launcher) and there's his logo in the intro (just like the SEGA and CA logos in vanilla). Trash says the battle advisor is also Darth Vader but since I never use the advisors (really, what for, I always switch them off in all TW games) I didn't even know that.

The game itself doesn't have any immersion-breaking Darth Vaders in it.

That not enough Darth Vader for you? It's enough to make me delete his shit in rage. Not to mention he appears in the loading screens as well.

Also, sieges are bloody as shit for the assaulting force. There's a reason why being the first through the breach was seen as a death sentence.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Trash said:
That not enough Darth Vader for you? It's enough to make me delete his shit in rage. Not to mention he appears in the loading screens as well.

Personally I don't care about what the launcher looks like cause the launcher is just there to, like, launch the game. Intro movies? I usually disable those anyway, who cares, it's no different from company logos appearing in the intro movie, is it? As I said, I didn't even know he was in the advisor because I don't use advisors, but that is going a bit too far.

Loading screens, though? Never seen a Darth Vader in the loading screen.
Also the advisor that tells you the situation of your country when you start a new campaign is still the normal 18th century woman, not Darth Vader, never seen the battle advisor.
Maybe it's just a feature of normal Darthmod? Because I'm using DMUC and have never seen a loading screen with him in it, instead they're all paintings from the 17th to 19th century which add quite a bit to the mood.

Annonchinil

Scholar
TW tacical battles need to expand in scope to become more operational in nature.

OndrejSc

Full Auto
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
:necro:

5OK7cwo.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom