Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Empire Total War naval gameplay trailer.

LCJr.

Erudite
<strong>[ Trailer ]</strong>

<p>In HD even so you know it's going to be all purty.
</p><blockquote><div id="byline">2:37 of gameplay footage</div><div id="byline"> </div> <div id="content_box"> <div class="news_text" style="float: left; width: 100%; font-size: 12px"><div id="EchoTopic">SEGA has released a new gameplay trailer for Empire: Total War, showcasing the next installment in the Total War RTS franchise, now set in the 18th century, a period alive with global conflict, revolutionary fervour and technological advances. The game is under development at The Creative Assembly and for the first time ever it includes 3D naval combat situations. Empire: Total War will hit the store shelves on February 6th, 2009.</div><div id="EchoTopic"> </div></div></div></blockquote><div id="content_box"><div class="news_text" style="float: left; width: 100%; font-size: 12px"><div id="EchoTopic">Link to trailer <a href="http://www.gamershell.com/news_57768.html" target="_blank">here.</a> </div><div id="EchoTopic"> </div><div id="EchoTopic">Unless you really want the HD version watch the Gamers Hell streaming trailer <a href="http://www.gamershell.com/tv/13728.html" target="_blank">here.</a> </div></div></div><blockquote><div id="content_box"> </div></blockquote><p>Spotted @ <a href="http://www.gamershell.com/">Gamer's Hell</a></p>

Fez

Erudite
I've lost my enthusiasm for the Total War series or CA's games since they went particularly shitty (Rome and beyond).

If this one turns out to be good it will be a nice surprise, but I am not expecting it to after the downturn in the past few years.

EDIT: 318.71MB for a two minute trailer video. This had better be worth it.

LCJr.

Erudite
Watch the trailer on Gamers Hell instead. It's not worth a download that big. Edited the news item to include a direct link to the GH streaming version.

At one point I was being all clever and had that article reading
To paraphrase Shakesspeare "Cry sales pitch and let slip the hype machine that is Total War!"
But then I figured I should probably leave my personal opinions out of the news posting and put them here in comments section if at all.

Shoelip

Arbiter
TCancer news is refreshingly not pissed off compared to the regular RPGCodex.

Fez

Erudite
I like my news with sarcasm, humor, personal opinions and commentaries too.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
OMG this is EPIC LOL

I spotted that the engagements are ridiculously close, the ships look much too samey (way too many ships of the line and no smaller vessels). At least the ships move relatively slow I was respecting much worse concerning speed.

I guess this is not going to be enjoyable until some hefty modding, but it still looks the best age of sail sim to date, though that does not mean very much.

I actually hurts to see what would be possible with todays technology if only they started making uncompromisingly realistic games again.

LCJr.

Erudite
Shoelip said:

Just look at the state of the two genres. There's no real reason to be pissed off about what's happening in the strategy world at the moment. There's a lot of good games of widely differing subgenres/playstyles coming out and the indies are actually coming through.

Burning Bridges

LCJr. said:
Shoelip said:

Just look at the state of the two genres. There's no real reason to be pissed off about what's happening in the strategy world at the moment. There's a lot of good games of widely differing subgenres/playstyles coming out and the indies are actually coming through.

Spot on.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Meh, I never was really hyped about the naval combat. I'd rather have them concentrate on making good and balanced land combat and finally create a proper strategy map, as the one in Rome and MTW2 sucked. And as probably not every faction in the game will have access to the sea, this becomes even less interesting.

Burning Bridges

So far it looks they go for epic gameyness again, hopefully that can be repaired by mods again. Oh shit, I forgot, I hate TW mods there are simply too many.

Fez

Erudite
Indeed. It's all very epic and pretty, but this still doesn't let me know if it is headed down the same path as MTW2 and such. I don't like the combat or the strategy map for those recent ones. I get the feeling it will probably end up very much like the last games but with a new setting/visuals and the navy thing stuck on top.

LCJr.

Erudite
I'm guessing from the 1/5 at the start there will be 4 more of trailers. I would also guess each one will be more visually stunning than the last. After watching this one I now know cannonballs will have tracer effects and pieces of the ship will fly off when hit. Plus the boarding animations will be really cool.

As for actual gameplay I didn't notice anything on formations. Did I just miss it? Looked like two mobs going at it. Also the part where they show the two fleets moving in opposite directions of each other seems an unlikely scenario.

I did poke around a couple of the TW forums and the general consensus is "It looks really purty! Take my money now!". So I'd say it's safe to say they've got another hit on their hands.

The stuff like this coming out of the major publishers is why I'm so happy the strategy genre has Matrix, Battlefront, AGEod, Paradox(although they have been slipping lately) and the like.

Fez

Erudite
The strategy genre has always been much healthier that way. It's good that it has all those smaller companies producing great games rather than eye-candy.

kris

Arcane
These guys was one of those small guys. But for me the only really irritating stuff is how incompetent the AI got.

Fez

Erudite
Dmitron said:
If it isn't Shogun Total War 2, I ain't interested.

After what they did to Medieval, I wouldn't get your hopes up.

LCJr.

Erudite
Magitech has a series of sengoku era games under the name "Takeda". Everything I've seen on them puts them in the mediocre to worse category.
http://www.ezgame.com/magitech/

So did everyone read the Empire previews? Gimmick unit #1 revealed, minefields.

LCJr.

Erudite
JarlFrank said:
LCJr. said:
So did everyone read the Empire previews? Gimmick unit #1 revealed, minefields.

Minefields? In the 18th century? What?

Read the IGN and Gamespot previews I linked to yesterday. I'm guessing it's a fougasse.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom