Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Embric of Wulfhammer Castle - become the princess you always wanted to be

Optimist

Savant
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
'sup grogs

Lazy weekend on your side? Nothing to do, other than replaying Gothic for the fifty-third time? Well, how about I invite you to take a trip down memory lane to the early 2010s, and hit up https://largebattleshipstudios.itch.io/embric . It's a few hours of, uh, "quality" entertainment for the low price of free!

Embric of Wulfhammer Castle is one of what could be called 4chan-based games, sharing this denomination with titles such as Chapter Master and Katawa Shoujo. It's primarily an exploration/ comedy game, with some softcore tiddies every here and there. A few endings have some standard ordeal RPG Maker combat, but it is far from being in the spotlight.

You enter the shoes of Duchess of Elstwhere, a member of royalty, promised to be wedded to Embric. Embric is kind of a big deal, leader of The Awesome Fellowship, the band of ragtag heroes that relatively recently saved the world from certain doom. Thing is that, once you arrive, Embric is nowhere to be seen - so you get off your ass and start exploring to stave off boredom. Gameplay is mostly walking around, clicking on things, reading through gags, and completing exploratory quests. You can be a good princess, a bad princess, a badass princess (the Iron Duchess ending was supposed to lay the groundwork for the continuation of the game), or a very-very-naughty princess. Saying anything else would be a spoiler.

It's a feel-good game. It's not aspiring to greatness, but it's nice to read through something that's trying to be optimistic while understanding that it's not always easy. There's a lot of early 2010s /tg/ internet humour in this - it might feel a spot cringy now, but it's all earnest and can easily get a chuckle out of you every now and then. If you feel like you can handle the premise - you're going to have a few hours of good, cheerful fun.

Optimist

Savant
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.

Norfleet

Western-made, wouldn't call it a jRPG - other than maybe the engine used. I'd say that even the "weeb-art" part is debatable. Obviously, if this ends up being moved, then so be it.
I made the mistake of clicking on that link and it is definitely weeb-art. That makes it EVEN WORSE than actual JRPGs. At least Japanese games have the excuse of being Japanese and you can't really blame people for producing products of their own culture. This is pure weeaboo filth. Absolutely haram.

mondblut

Arcane
Western-made, wouldn't call it a jRPG - other than maybe the engine used. I'd say that even the "weeb-art" part is debatable.

ee3bc5c3a47063f5eb4972164e9bfc020ff63bb3bd3591083ae95846a15ddadf_1.jpg

Norfleet

I mean, technically, from a phylogeny perspective, that can be considered true. I don't think this is the right analogy to use here, either way, though. This is the most abominable weebshit, not because it is Japanese, but because it ISN'T actually Japanese, which makes it WORSE than just being regular Japanese weebshit, which is weebshit not because of anything the creators did wrong, but because of weebs latching on to it.

lightbane

Arcane
Such an over-the-top reaction. As expected from the Codex, who will react like this and later put the literal commie CYOa game as a top ranking RPG. Or Dark Souls as a JRPG.

thesecret1

Arcane
Added to my backlog, thanks for the tip. Katawa Shoujo and Chapter Master are both awesome, so I have high hopes for this one as well.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom