Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Elminage Gothic (former Japan only dungeon crawler)

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
for example the Evil Club (can't be bothered to name-check the ITEM.csv file, so it maby Evil Stick or whatever) has sub-par stats and it's a common drop early on.

...and? well i used to think it was worthless because it sells/buys for huge money (at that point in the game); until i found out one day the weapon changes the character (whose Class allows them to equip it) to equip it, invoke it's Special Power, and instantly change alignment to Evil.

Extremely quick and easy example of why one would suddenly really want that?

1) one of your chars just then hit the attributes required for Ninja... but he/she is FUCKING NEUTRAL!!!!! (Neutral alignment cannot be changed by non-special means).

2) there are MANY small and MANY big examples of how all this shit dovetails with every other piece of shit int eh game, but as a 2nd and final quickie example: a very cmoon drop in like, i think the 4th dungeon (being the 2nd "Story Dungeon") is an "Evil Bascinet". At the time you find this... evil... bascinet (heh) it will be the best head-gear available to all of the Martial-type classes and for a few dungeons beyond as well. Obviously, only EEEEEEEVEEEL chars can put that silly hat on.

So, yes, i'm not saying that you should be constanly analyzing every single minute bullshit piece of text or detail in fear of ending up with sub-optimal characters: trust me, for real, this will not happen. The game is, as i've said many times before, unebelivable well-balanced and the reason why is simple: Starfish coped wholesale the Wizardry 1-5 developmental blueprint, and then just sat in a room for a while, smoked a blunt, and came out with a lit detailing how they could just marginally improve and elevate every thing and every Wizardry system and gameplay mechanic to each one's linear end pinnacle of games design and mathematical harmony.

Yes, i'm snidely typing that Starfish didn't really create any gameplay mechanics themselves. At all. Elminage is simple Wizardry but as made by the original dev's spiritual grand-children who went to video game college but were social outcasts who rejected mainstream video game media and hated with a passion games that insulted the player's intelligence.

/fanfic

EDIT: To be fair, Starfish has been making the best dungeon floor map layouts out of canon Wizardry series (Empire games 1-3) and not-quite-as-good-as-the-Empire-dungeons-but-still-good floor map layouts in the Elminage series for almost 20 years now. So yes, they do indeed create shit.

In fact, Exp Inc (Muramasa Studio) are the kind of polar opposite of Starfish. They decided to ALWAYS introduce completely "new" mechanics or gameplay slices, or elements, to each one of their crawlers. Obviously, since they're not very smart, none of the shit in Generation XTH / Wizardry XTH / Stranger of Sword City / Students of The Round, are actually good stuff to add, or even arguably stuff that betters the game.

Example: They tried "streamlining" in a "cool" way the Wizardry-inspired trapped chest Emergent Gameplay Scenario, and made it fast to do and impossible to fuck up, plus they made identification automatic when the party exits a dungeon.

The first few seconds your non-Cleveian Blakemorish brain, due to its lower amount of synapses and whatnot, will probably think "aweigh that sounds cool, wtf is your problem, stop typing!"; then you will think about the sheer, diaphanous beauty of the elegant relationship between classic Wizardry's simple mechanical sub-systems of having fixed encounters only be the ones to drop loot, and then that loot being a 2nd layer of conflict for the Player's party representing a continuation of the actual "battle" the Player just won and thus, with the danger of fuckingf up the trap and its results being without exaggeration usually deadly; they managed to make each single Fixed Encounter provide:

- The biggest gate-keeping of the game design's implementation of its Itemization formulas.

(Remember that this shit is not a mere matter of Sabers and Masamunes; itemization is a mathematical exercise that is part and parcel of the parallel sub-system of Encounter Design, i.e. actual monster make-up and how many and doing what and leaving what and having how much of what's that, etc, etc).

(each trapped chest is, in my ongoing Wizardry dissertation I shall someday write and then delete; each chest is the simplest more purest and simple to understand encapsulation of the VIDEO GAME DESIGN THEORY which posits that emergent gameplay within the mechanical systems provided to the player are intrinsically fed and in reciprocate fashion also nurture every single other design layer/level of the entire System of the game's "working parts").

- And it also continues the game's single and most prominent goal: to keep the player's belief suspended for as long as possible. The player has just won that big tough battle, and now they are presented with the chance to "win big", or roll a pair of snake eyes and quite probably end their play session right then and there due to death(s). Not the most complex gameplay design layer ever, sure, but it also promotes:

- Making the player think about whether they can RISK opening the chest or not, thus introducing actual human psychology into the player's interaction with the world of Wizardry. I mean Elminage. You know what I mean!

- And lastly, but not least, the consideration of the party's RESOURCES and thus their innate need of existential MANAGEMENT. Maybe they're low on THAT_AWESOME_THING, and they need it, but in the last encounter their Thief got PARALYZED!!! Oh no!! It's a very tough choice they have now! Not tough because it is difficult to jump over, or because it is difficult to combo into, or because it is difficult to "time the button press at the EXACT MOMENT!!!"; but because it has completely engulfed the person playing this game and these players have their belief suspend to its complete extent as their thoughts race to calculate the odds and the possibilites and the routes and the ways and the tools and the OH SHIT GOTTA RETURN TO TOWN BUT I WANT DAT LOOT FIRST-- etc.

My point: the Wizardry trapped chest scenario is an early example, and possible the most elegant one in its simplicity and amount of layered depth to its sub-systems, of a video game example of TRUE EMERGENT GAMEPLAY.

SO YAH basically Team Muramasa had an honest idea, not copy everything exactly, but they failed at a fundamental level to understand the actual game design between what they were changing! With automatic identification and a 5% chance of a trapped chest going off it begs the question: why even have those elements present at all?

So, sadly, they continue doing their thing, well not sadly i enjoyed SoSC; but they each new one I guarantee will have some Wizardry-inspired tradition or element comically warped in some way that, worse case, completely neuters the philosophy of the original design while also failing to replace anything with anything.

But yes, buy it, they got the "party building" "element" 100% correct. Not that its' perfect, or "better" than Wiz/Elminage: but that they wanted to do their own style of a thing, and they succeeded in the "party building" part.

Of course they couldn't help but fuck it up a little bit and introducing OTHER sub-systems like the one mentioned by Emmanuel which completely trivializes THE ENTIRE GAME'S ENCOUNTER DEISGN.

Heh.

(I really need to get a diary).

Last edited:

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Bosses can be brutal, true. But generally smart application of Divinities takes even their teeth away. Okay, without Light/Dark Veil the post-game bosses would probably be very hard. But it's there and I don't like purposefully gimping myself.

Maybe Master of all isn't the best description. But certainly you can combine various martial classes with Dancer (unlimited range), Ranger (lasting Concentration until hit), maybe also Samurai (aoe attacks) plus many people even seem to add Cleric to the mix to get his high level status immunity ability.
Multiclassing Cleric (Mana Heal 2) with Mage (Triple Cast) and Dancer (Morale Song which scales off Piety) is also common.

That way you can void and ignore many game mechanics/treats.
Overall I'm not a big fan of heavy multiclassing in SotSC, as it involves a lot of grinding. And unless you grind a ton, your pure-class or only slightly multiclassed character will be stronger - due to ATK and SpE which, as you mentioned, do not carry over.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Haplo

Makes you wonder why they don't just realize the specifc formula for turn-based dungeon crawling party-based loot-heavy RPGs has already been perfected, such as nothing else in the entire history of humnan kind; Wizardry's design is so perfect it beats the possibility of the universe someday creating a sphere that has no end and no beginning:

a perfect circle, which is impossible.

Wizardry and Elminage, however, are very much not impossible. In fact they're p. fun to play. So you HAVE TO WONDER why not just take what is already impossibly perfect (and by definition thus being, divine!) and merely attempt to inject their "personality" into the formula and not cut out elements of it or neuter elements of it and replace it with nothing.

But goddamn, they still manage to prove that in the end the most important part of the turn-based crawler coming from Wizardry roots is and always will be the party creation and the game's allowance for the player to be creating/managing/shaping/etc that party from beginning to end and, far from being a "chore" it being the main gameplay SLICE of the entire thing!

They're juuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuust good enough at that that their 'crwalers are playable. Plus also no one else is making any of these games anyway so wtf why even complain! :)

Emmanuel2

Savant
Bosses can be brutal, true. But generally smart application of Divinities takes even their teeth away. Okay, without Light/Dark Veil the post-game bosses would probably be very hard. But it's there and I don't like purposefully gimping myself.

Maybe Master of all isn't the best description. But certainly you can combine various martial classes with Dancer (unlimited range), Ranger (lasting Concentration until hit), maybe also Samurai (aoe attacks) plus many people even seem to add Cleric to the mix to get his high level status immunity ability.
Multiclassing Cleric (Mana Heal 2) with Mage (Triple Cast) and Dancer (Morale Song which scales off Piety) is also common.

That way you can void and ignore many game mechanics/treats.
Overall I'm not a big fan of heavy multiclassing in SotSC, as it involves a lot of grinding. And unless you grind a ton, your pure-class or only slightly multiclassed character will be stronger - due to ATK and SpE which, as you mentioned, do not carry over.

I never actually had that "ton of grinding" feel, finished the game+postgame clocking at a very long 42 hours. Funnily, I accidentally gimped myself and had to take on the 6 uber postgame bosses without it and was one of the best moments of any combat RPG I've experienced. Especially with a party of at most Level 42.

Visiting this thread made me want to pick up E:G again. Damn university :argh:.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Emmanuel2

The actual criticism leveled at the encounter design (related systems, such as the Divinity) is simply that by mid-game or earlier the game itself has completely trivialized both the importance and the difficulty of non-Boss encounters.

Fighting the SoSC bosses (or whatever the game's name for them was) was a HIGHLIGHT. In my YT channel I have a _very_ proud video of my party beating the undead boss in the floor that is made of poison water, right before you fight the very first "story boss".

You're not supposed to beat that guy, Mardull, i think its name is, but for me that was an invitation and the game provided me all the tools and resources and rules to allow me, the player, to play the game as the game wanted me to play it... or something like that.

So no, no one is criticizing their boss encounters.

This is further compounded by Muramasa's downright dumb decision to change Wiz-clone formulas for the simple sake of doing so, without any further thought, and thus making loot acquirement be constrained inside an incredibly silly "loot zone" inside parts of dungeon maps.

Sure, it's playable, but it's soooooo dumb and inferior to simply just having traditional Fixed Encounters who provide Loot, and/or a logical variation/extrapolation of _that_ design. Why instead go to the trouble of cornering their level designers into being hand-cuffed by this retarded decision from management that loot has to be gotten by the player in loot-areas.

Think how those fucking japanese level artists, sitting there living the fucking dream, i.e. coding a dungeon crawler RPG's flatly-textured dungeon hallways, and hearing you have to HAMSTRING THE ENTIRE DUNGEON PHILOSOPHY because now there have to be fucking little "loot squares"?

That shit is wack.

Dorateen

Arcane
keep in mind that Dwarves miss out on the game's best Spears, like the God Slayer

I wanted to double-check this. It appears to me that the only race restriction on God Slayer is for faeries.

DorateenEquipment.jpg

Courtier

Prophet
Basic classes gain their mastery at level 26
Alchemist <=
Mage
Cleric
Fighter
Thief
Servant

Intermediate gain mastery at 32
Bishop
Hunter
Brawler
Bard
Shaman
Summoner
Valkyrie

Advanced at level 36
Lord
Samurai
Ninja

Gunnar

Arbiter
Gah I'm only level 12 :|
By level 26 I imagine the ores I have now wont be worth saving, I suppose I'll just sell em

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Well, my experience is that you don't get much better ores till post game.
Stuff with 15+ AP may be worth saving.

Gunnar

Arbiter
Couple more questions,

I leveled up my Cleric but Honey Restorer didn't reappear in his spell list like it did before, what's up?

If I class change my Alchemist to say, a mage, do I lose the ability to smith with him or is that ability retained?

Is there any way to light up the darkness in the Underground Church? This dungeon is diabolical!

Emmanuel2

Savant
Couple more questions,

I leveled up my Cleric but Honey Restorer didn't reappear in his spell list like it did before, what's up?

If I class change my Alchemist to say, a mage, do I lose the ability to smith with him or is that ability retained?

Is there any way to light up the darkness in the Underground Church? This dungeon is diabolical!

Just keep levelling, it'll reappear depending on your WIS but I'm not too sure, you can check aweigh's previous posts.

Yes, you will lose the ability to smith with him. You'll retain 3 MP for each spell level of Alchemy though with all the spells you've previously learned.

Nope.

Gunnar

Arbiter
Ok, thanks.

Is it important to have a high level Alchemist for smithing? Or could I use the pre-made Alchemist at level 4 to accomplish the same thing?

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Early on: Doesn't matter
After Alchemist level 26: Being able to remove and re-use ores is a major convenience
Post game: The high level Alchemy bonuses are game-changers

Gunnar

Arbiter
I decided not to class change. I'm sitting with:

BR - SA - CL - VA - HU - AL

I seem to have the bases covered, except for summoning.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Looks good. Summoner is hardly a "base". But it does open interesting options :)

Dorarnae

Arbiter

once you finish the main story, you'll get a medal, so you can always change a char classes without losing exp...

Gunnar

Arbiter

once you finish the main story, you'll get a medal, so you can always change a char classes without losing exp...

I've been trying to think of a worthwhile class change for my team. Cleric into fighter, ninja or lord?

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I mean, that party looks great to me. You can do anything you want from there. Maybe the Valkyrie could go to rank 3 and the Cleric could become a Bishop for convenience. Lord and Ninja also make sense IMO. I wouldn't leave him as a Cleric though. Kind of a boring class.

Emmanuel2

Savant
I've been trying to think of a worthwhile class change for my team. Cleric into fighter, ninja or lord?

Brawler stays brawler because he's awesome.

Cleric -> Bishop to keep spell slots and to get mage sells or Cleric -> Lord to keep spell slots and to become a frontliner. Valkyrie should stay. Hunter should stay or replace with a pure mage for fast levelling to get teleport. Alchemist -> Hunter to keep spell slots. Samurai should've been better if he/she started as a mage.

Rule of thumb is to use Basic Classes as stepping stones for class changing and not immediately getting into advanced classes unless you want some innocent gear.

Gunnar

Arbiter
Is Magery good mainly to stack the convenience of the teleport spell? I barely used those spells, apart from things like fire, float and map in the beginning.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
If he does Alchemist -> Hunter (a good transition), he should prolly nominate another Alchemist, as he'll prolly want those late-game Alchemy bonuses.
Maybe switch:
Alchemist -> Hunter
Hunter -> and/or Mage and/or Cleric -> Alchemist

Emmanuel2

Savant
If he does Alchemist -> Hunter (a good transition), he should prolly nominate another Alchemist, as he'll prolly want those late-game Alchemy bonuses.
Maybe switch:
Alchemist -> Hunter
Hunter -> and/or Mage and/or Cleric -> Alchemist

Your Hunter plan is definitely great (agreed that Hunter -> Alchemist is pretty awesome) but I assumed that he was still early in the game and doesn't have access to lesser demons yet. Which is why I only mentioned some quick class change gains based on his starting party.

Is Magery good mainly to stack the convenience of the teleport spell? I barely used those spells, apart from things like fire, float and map in the beginning.

Not just for teleport. The convenience of clearing a whole row of enemies up to midgame is definitely nothing to scoff at. Also for killing phys resistant enemies.

Gunnar

Arbiter
I'm currently stuck in the Underground church, trying to open the door south of the dark part. I can grind out xp from the demons, idea looks very good to me too

edit- I just got it, proceeding to the end of this dungeon finally!

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom