Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Elite Dangerous VR is legit

• Thread starter Deleted Member 16721
  • Start date

Deleted Member 16721

It really is. So I've only played 2 hours and some minutes but I can say that this game with a proper HOTAS (hands on throttle and stick, I think it means) is legit. First, you probably should have a pilot's license to learn to fly, but it does get easier after awhile. Second, the scale in this game is the largest I've seen in a VR game yet, maybe minus Google Earth VR. But the stars, asteroids, planets, etc., are huuuuge, as if they are real-life scale. So you can fly by a planet and it could take up several screen-fulls of density. Stars are kind of terrifying, they're huge burning blobs obviously, and also huge. You can explore the entire Milky Way apparently, and it's a slow game for old-school players who just want to explore space and relax, outside of combat, which is also a bit terrifying and thrilling in VR (shooting things with a joystick and what not is a lot of fun, but I still suck at it). In short, it's legitimately a great experience right now, as-is.

What else. You'll have to do the training missions several times to really get the feel of flying around. It feels awesome and like you're in a real ship. There are holographic menus that pop up when you turn your head to the left and right, and then control them with the stick. Really slick. There's a ton of complexity and depth but it doesn't seem overwhelming, seems like after the tutorials you can learn as you go, doing trading/hauling missions and just exploring, mining, trading or whatever. I'd say it's an RPG since the amount of customization of the ship and depth of the game qualify as deep RPG elements, and that's cool. Check it out. Any questions, feel free to ask me. I'll try to convey the coolness of VR as it is for me to you in this thread.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
i don't understand how a vr fps works though. are you playing with the two pods in your hands? like how does it work?

Deleted Member 16721

i don't understand how a vr fps works though. are you playing with the two pods in your hands? like how does it work?

Left hand is a throttle controller with buttons, right hand is a joystick. It's not really an FPS, you aim by getting the enemy in your sights basically. I'm still fuzzy on all that, I got lucky and got one kill in the training missions, but I'm still figuring out the combat. It's fast and crazy and you have a lot of weapons, like 5 different types and 5 fire buttons on the HOTAS itself.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom