Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

ELEX ELEX RELEASE THREAD

Trias_Betrayed

Scholar
On some of the things, people are saying, yes Nasty is one of the worst NPCs ever and they go out of the way to make her essential to what you're doing. Blackhole is very strong and it's extremely easy to make "mental energy reserves", not sure how it compares to the outlaw or berserker faction specifics though and I only used the +armor and +ranged damage buffs outside of blackhole for the most part. The several "fetch this unique plant" quests are annoying but in particular one of them iirc asks for "Troll's Leaf", when there's a normal ass plant called "Troll Leaf". I didn't use the compass unless I got tired of looking for something, but I spent hours doing unrelated shit before I thought to myself that I had a bunch of troll's leaf and would go finish that quest only to find out that she needed the other plant that looked exactly the same and sounded exactly the same in use but had an extra letter in its name.

agris

Arcane
Patron
For those native english speakers who have elex on steam and want to play with german VO but english subs / english menus and text, here's how to do it:

change your game language to German via the steam menu (right click ELEX -> properties -> language). Let the files download.

to go <steamcommon>\ELEX\data\packed and you'll see a "c_0_de.pak" and "c_1_de.pak" in addition to *_en and na .pak files. move the *_de.pak files to another directory, change the game language back to english, and move the *_de.pak files back into ..ELEX\data\packed. Now go into ..\ELEX\data\ini and edit "ConfigDefault.xml". Specifically edit line 247 so that it reads like this

Code:
    <Language VoiceLanguage="German" SubtitleLanguage="English" ForceSubtitles="true" CompleteLocTable="false" UseSystemLanguageSubtitle="false" UseSystemLanguageVoice="false">

Effectively all you've done is toggle the VoiceLanguage to German, now that the correct files are in place, while keeping the rest of the game in english.

FYI, if you don't copy/paste the *_de.pak files when changing the game language back to english, steam will delete them.

Enjoy better VO and no campy fake-texan narrator.

Zerth

Arbiter
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Rat is awesome and ending to his quest is great.

But the fact that you need to play a dummy and completely follow with his linear quest-plan until everything is fine and you get XP for trusting this miltiades is bad design. (he is also an immortal NPC)

The only thing that is really bad design what you've mentioned is the immortality stuff, but still I suppose this questline would have ended up better designed if there were other options besides of just following rat's plan, like having Chloe opening up to Jax after passing a charisma check. I don't think is entirely linear though, what happens if you unwisely go against Rat's advice and tell Blake you already know He's taxing Chloe?.

Elex

Arbiter

But the fact that you need to play a dummy and completely follow with his linear quest-plan until everything is fine and you get XP for trusting this miltiades is bad design. (he is also an immortal NPC)

The only thing that is really bad design what you've mentioned is the immortality stuff, but still I suppose this questline would have ended up better designed if there were other options besides of just following rat's plan, like having Chloe opening up to Jax after passing a charisma check. I don't think is entirely linear though, what happens if you unwisely go against Rat's advice and tell Blake you already know He's taxing Chloe?.
i’m curious too there is other quest involving rat with similar stuff.

i’m surprised by how many quest have different solution and different dialogue based on character action and choise.

yes of course dialogue look like random phrases put togheter, this is the conseguence, but the cost of the voiceover and localization if every single quest have multiple separate voiceover for each cpmbination would be insane.

Shadenuat

Arcane

Dunno but in other times you get fucked if you do "unwise" thing so it's just another option which player would not choose.

Murk

Arcane
I can't believe one can be so ignorant to rate Elex combat above Witcher 1-3. Otherwise I agree with your review.

Witcher 1 was a godawful click button to watch 9 animations go off QTE and Witcher 2 and 3 were "spam button to perma stun enemy" fests to me. I realize there were parries and blocks and ripostes but they weren't really necessary, maybe on the extreme difficulties, but I was never so in love with those games that I would play them on max difficulty. I didn't enjoy either one terribly, and never felt much satisfaction from defeating an enemy in them. Maybe there's more there for one willing to explore, but it's too easy to just spam a button and win. In Elex, spamming a button will cause you to die. That's an important difference to me.

No spamming attacks to win? Maybe you forgot about spamming light attacks with stamina perks to stun enemy and dodge only when your stamina is near 0? Spamming knock-down with a shield. Or spam aoe knockdown/stun with a gun/flamethrower/fireball glove? Come on. It all works on ultra difficulty no problemo. Your arguments are bs. If you feel that Elex combat is satysfying then I don't see hope for you. Hard enemies in Elex are nothing but a hp sponges with 2 attack patterns.

Aaand one more thing - you bash W1 "QTEs" but praise Elex combo bar? :prosper:Remember to press Q in the right time or you won't be able to do your speshial attack.

You don't have to time W2/W3 attacks, you can just mash the button the same way you can in Gothic 3. Elex at least messes up your attack rate if you just mash the button, though I'd prefer if it actually just full on broke the combo. I prefer G2's style of combat more than Elex, though so you won't get much argument from me in defense of it.

Yeah, juggling with plasma/flamethrower is OP and imbalanced, and I've said as much before in the thread. I said they needed to be balanced with higher ammo cost, slower rate of fire, or some other limiting factor. Flame thrower tries to slow your movement, but it's not enough, as you can just holster it very quickly (and 25 shots per "magazine" is ridiculous considering how cheap fuel is and that it also causes a DoT effect.)

Also, I said that Elex melee combat is never quite satisfying even when you get used to it, but that it more or less works -- far more so than G3, for example. Though I still rate it as worse than G1/2 or Risen 1. I'm sorry that I think Witcher combat is bad, I'm sure you'll be able to still enjoy the game even in light of this horrifying revelation.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron

Dunno but in other times you get fucked if you do "unwise" thing so it's just another option which player would not choose.

RE Blake:
If you disobey Rat and ask him why he's extorting Chloe, he basically says "what the fuck are you talking about?" Don't think anything else changes, aside from giving you more perspective that Rat is not very honest.

Murk

Arcane
You don't have to time W2/W3 attacks, you can just mash the button the same way you can in Gothic 3.

You either retarded or you didn't play those games.

I know you are but what am I?

Tell ya what, when I get home today I'll fire up Witcher 3 and revisit the combat system. If spamming left mouse button with no attention to timing gets the job done, then I'll give myself a smug pat on the back. I'll make sure to fight an enemy of decent level, in a good faith effort.

Last edited:
Managed to make it run on my potato. It was running with integrated graphics by default. Never played Gothic games before but I really like what I have seen. The world feels alive and there seem to be enough RPG elements in it. Thanks for making me interested enough to get into the game!
Finally a game that doesn't treat players like idiots.

Last edited:

Shadenuat

Arcane
In W3 technically you spam at least 3 buttons, at least on highest difficulty - R1s, dodge & Quen.
I remember W2 being more difficult overall. I don't think you could use any type of attack to defeat anyone as a simple part of your build like in W3 there.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
In W2 release version Quen spam made you invincible and you could spam attacks however you like.

Murk

Arcane
I may be imposing memories of W3 on top of W2 admittedly, I haven't touched W2 in years where-as W3 was a few months ago, in which case my B.

Ultimately it's whatever -- people have their minds made up either way and I'll be damned if I'm to bother with convincing someone that a game they love was bad or a game they hate is good.

Zerth

Arbiter
If you disobey Rat and ask him why he's extorting Chloe, he basically says "what the fuck are you talking about?" Don't think anything else changes, aside from giving you more perspective that Rat is not very honest.

So, then everything was just an elaborated bluff in order to take Blake's place? It seems Rat already had enough money to pay Chloe's debt (this became more evident when Rat gives Jax 200 elexit to buy some chems from Doc and Jax asks him how He had that much when He's supposed to be broke) and even to reward you a nice extra 1000 elexit if you gave him the 50 bucks He asked.

Heh, that is more plausible than Blake extortion under Duke's nose, although one might consider that Blake offers a reward if you're willing to steal some Duke's grenade crates. Thus Blake is not very honest either.

Managed to make it run on my potato. It was running with integrated graphics by default. Never played Gothic games before but I really like what I have seen. The world feels alive and there seem to be enough RPG elements in it. Thanks for making me interested enough to get into the game.
What are your potato specs?

Last edited:

Tigranes

Arcane
By the way, props to Harley, who has the best VO line near the end of the game. Jax is a 'crazy motherfucker' indeed.

Luckmann I've seen Americans get East and West wrong consistently even when they have fucking university degrees, and my theory is that it's because their world maps centre America and put Asia on the left side. Techncially Germans should not have that problem...?

Murk

Arcane
So uhh, as potatoe man shows here, at long last... a game that counts a shield slung on your back as an actual defensive item.

queued to 3:58

Best game ever.

edit: also, just fired up Witcher 3. Yeah, you don't need to time LMB clicks at all, i was just mashing it and the combos chain just fine. Whether an enemy dodges or blocks it is a different matter, but the game doesn't break the combo if you press it haphazardly. Anyway, whatever, opinions differ, news at 23:00.

Elex

Arbiter

So, then everything was just an elaborated bluff in order to take Blake's place? It seems Rat already had enough money to pay Chloe's debt (this became more evident when Rat gives Jax 200 elexit to buy some chems from Doc and Jax asks him how He had that much when He's supposed to be broke) and even to reward you a nice extra 1000 elexit if you gave him the 50 bucks He asked.

Heh, that is more plausible than Blake extortion under Duke's nose, although one might consider that Blake offers a reward if you're willing to steal some Duke's grenade crates. Thus Blake is not very honest either.

Managed to make it run on my potato. It was running with integrated graphics by default. Never played Gothic games before but I really like what I have seen. The world feels alive and there seem to be enough RPG elements in it. Thanks for making me interested enough to get into the game.
What are your potato specs?
rat is one of the claws if you complete all claws quest is even more clear that is all a big plan for reach a certain objective.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I met Bigby from 50 hours ago. I had forgotten all about him. He attacked me. I tried to talk with him, let bygones be bygones and all that. He would have none of it. I can't say he burned in hell for his actions against me, but I sure did burn him good with fire magic. So long, Bigby. We could never understand each other. :salute:

I also need to mention that I have been playing the game without any companions for the past 5 hours. It gets a bit boring. I actually like their comments about the world. Arx and Ray are fun to have around. They are bros. I still haven't completed all companion quests.

So is Falk, he's a real robobro.

Trias_Betrayed

Scholar
I never finished the companion quests for Ray, Nasty, or Caja. I wasn't going to bother looking everywhere for random dudes that want to kill Ray, and as for Nasty and Caja I believe I was on the last part of theirs and waiting for them to "say more" but I rested for a straight week and they never said anything, so I just said 'fuck it' and went to finish the game.

Xeon

Augur
I haven't played Witcher 2 in 4 or 5 years so I might not be remembering things all that well but wasn't rolling the worst offender or something, you could roll in the middle of an attack and whatever. Letho was the hardest fight I think on highest difficulty and rolling was the most important.

Witcher 3 isn't that bad overall and kinda like it better, combat has dodge, block, counter and Quen I think.

Yes, rolling is terrible in Witcher 2. It kinda sucks in ELEX as well, they should've learned the lesson from Witcher 3 and just had a normal dodge. I mean who the fuck rolls every time to evade stuff? The only time you roll is like if someone hurls a fucking grenade at you. Fucking game devs...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom