Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

ELEX ELEX RELEASE THREAD

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Edit: Bioware stuffs their games with ladyboys and what not Piranha doesn't even put niggers in :lol:
At least PB can do something right, I guess.

Ah come on theres more right about this game and you know it :dance:
Yeah, there's a few things, as I've mentioned. The fact that you can fuck yourself over through quests in a believable manner if you're retarded, the quest interconnectivity and the various ways some things can be solved, for another, even if it leads to awkward-as-fuck and dialogue strangeness at times, and the world design, exploration & geography are all top-notch. Pretty much everything else is condensed awful, though. The controls, the UI, the NPC:s, the companions, the AI, the models & animations, the character development & system, the crafting, the combat, it's all unforgivably bad.

Elex

Arbiter
There's a guy named Durex? For real? That has a certain connotation in the southern German-speaking area:

Durex-Extra-Safe-Condoms-3-Pack-861815.jpg
wait it’s not world wide?

fobia

Well, maybe it is, but at least it wasn't as prevalent in Berlin and Hamburg as in the alpine parts.

Havoc

Cheerful Magician
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
Anybody found some sikrit shit outside the boundaries of the map? Like it was with the space dwarf oraz the car in Gothic games?

agentorange

Arcane
Patron
rpghq (cant read codex pms cuz of fag 2fa)
Codex 2012
Should have cut a lot of the voice acting and spent the money on a better UI. Only major problem I have with the game so far, they somehow made an inventory worse than the original Gothic one (which I thought was good); they could have just copied the inventory design from G1/2 but I assume the text only, list based inventory rather than a grid inventory is used because the game will be on consoles.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

Raapys

Arcane
The UI is indeed terrible. Then again, that's true for e.g. Skyrim too, despite having a 20 times larger budget.

Grimlorn

Arcane
Anybody found some sikrit shit outside the boundaries of the map? Like it was with the space dwarf oraz the car in Gothic games?
No. As far as I can tell if you go to the edge of the map you get hit with radiation and die within 15 seconds. It goes through you fast no matter how high your resistance is. Same with the cold as well. They used that to keep people within the map area. I'm not sure there is any way to become fully immune to radiation. The best I can do is get it to slowly tick down. Some cool secret stuff within the map. Wish there was more, though. I enjoyed exploring and scavenging for awhile, looking for secrets, but there could have been more incentive for it. I have about 20-30 legendary weapons now. Although many have middling damage.

I did find a semi-automatic grenade launcher recently with 114 damage. Fires out bursts of 3 shots. Pretty fun.

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
The UI is indeed terrible. Then again, that's true for e.g. Skyrim too, despite having a 20 times larger budget.
UI:s are rarely a budgetary issue, though. The "X had larger budget than Y" works for some things, like the size of the world, the amount of polish on locations, the quality of voice-overs and stuff like that. The user interface, though? Nigger, it's not like Skyrim had 40 people working on it and PB had 10 and that's somehow an excuse.

PB gets A+ for world-building, but D- for execution.

Raapys

Arcane
UI:s are rarely a budgetary issue, though. The "X had larger budget than Y" works for some things, like the size of the world, the amount of polish on locations, the quality of voice-overs and stuff like that. The user interface, though? Nigger, it's not like Skyrim had 40 people working on it and PB had 10 and that's somehow an excuse.
It is though.

Bigger budget also means bigger test team, meaning more people to find and point out flaws. Also, more money to hire competent UI designers.

Raapys

Arcane
Incompetence is what you get with a low budget, unless you're lucky. With a big budget like Bethesda's, you don't have that excuse.

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
It is though.

Bigger budget also means bigger test team, meaning more people to find and point out flaws. Also, more money to hire competent UI designers.
No, man, dude, nigger, 5 minutes will tell you that the UI is unacceptably horrible. It doesn't matter if you have 5 testers or 500 testers. It's pure shit. The UI of the style used by both Elex and Skyrim - that is, entirely based around geometry instead of individual art assets - is something created by a handful of people at best, no matter the size of the project. Elex UI simply wasn't tested for PC at all, and they had no intention or inclination of doing a good job of it, just like Bethesda obviously didn't.

It doesn't matter if we're talking 2 million or 200 millions. Practically no game ever has had a full team of people dedicated to creating the basic UI, and the size of any group working on it certainly does not correlate directly with the amount of money you have. At best, we're talking about a few people more, but it's a budgetary concern, not directly tied to the exact amount of money the project has overall. If they chose to only have one guy work on it rather than two, whereas Skyrim maybe had a few more, whether the budget was 20 times larger or not is largely irrelevant.

The industry is littered with UI:s created as one-man projects with a budget of literally zero that are better than both Elex and Skyrim. Hell, Skyrim is the perfect example of how mods fixed it, to the extent it even was fixable, and those mods were developed by no-name fuckers in basements working for free, and all they wanted was a working fucking UI. All a project with infinite money that assigns infinite developers to work on the UI is going to achieve is Brooks' law^infinity.

Edit:
Keep being butthurt, Felix. :lol:

Last edited:

Raapys

Arcane
You seem particularly clueless or just willfully ignorant. Not a single time did I mention quantity. What I did mention was quality. More money generally gets you higher quality people. More competence.

You don't quite seem to understand how important individuals are in projects. And those individuals come with a price tag, because they're generally recognized at excelling at what they do. What's more, bigger budget buys you time. Time to iterate and perfect. I'm not talking about breaking Brook's law.

Elex

Arbiter
i don't find the UI so terrible, i found worse the lack of info and the totally wrong skill and stat description.

Shadenuat

Arcane
So how do you get everywhere, do you just level up every environmental protection skill in the list or is there armor with protection from frost and fire? I only seen gas mask protecting from poison. And how much protection do you need?

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
You seem particularly clueless or just willfully ignorant. Not a single time did I mention quantity. What I did mention was quality. More money generally gets you higher quality people. More competence.

You don't quite seem to understand how important individuals are in projects. And those individuals come with a price tag, because they're generally recognized at excelling at what they do. What's more, bigger budget buys you time. Time to iterate and perfect. I'm not talking about breaking Brook's law.
Yeah Bethesda is so competent. You can see their competence oozing in Oblivion and Fallout 4.
I said having a low budget is an excuse for incompetence; an excuse that Bethesda don't have for their incompetence.
A low budget is not an excuse for incompetence, precisely because individuals do matter more than how many people you can assign to a project. And you did mention quantity you fucking reject, and specifically tied budgetary concerns to the fact that a higher budged would mean "bigger test team" and "more people to find and point out flaws".

It's a fucking UI in an industry where there's people do better UI:s than this in their spare time for free. It's possible to discuss the issues in a scenario where we're comparing the best UI:s ever and how one group could have a huge team to polish their UI for months and shit like that, but we're not discussing that, we're discussing two turds that are turds for reasons that have nothing at all to do with how many people worked on it. Even if PB paid some dude minimum fucking wage to half-ass a UI, they clearly chose poorly. No money in the world makes up for incompetence, and when it comes to something basic like this, it doesn't matter if it's a 2 million project or a 40 million project, because both Piranha Bytes and Bethesda clearly only budgeted the UI:s for 100 dollars and half a pizza to a wageslave completely uninterested in and incapable of doing a good job.

Likewise, if you would have budgeted it properly, and actually been interested in creating an acceptable UI, you still wouldn't have hired more than a few skilled people - likely all in-house anyway - whether we're talking Skyrim or Elex, because there's literally no benefit to having more than that handful of people working on it, because it's just the fucking UI and it's not that fucking hard.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
So how do you get everywhere, do you just level up every environmental protection skill in the list or is there armor with protection from frost and fire? I only seen gas mask protecting from poison. And how much protection do you need?

found some shields and rings with resistances on them. Hoarding them just in case.

Grimlorn

Arcane
I can't say for sure but I have only found a few areas with radiation poisoning with stuff in them. I haven't really explored Xacor yet, so not sure about Ice Resistance. You can't heal in these areas but you can leave, heal and go back in. I don't know how much each skill point gives to their resistance. You shouldn't worry about it imo.

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
I still haven't seen anywhere worth going that involved fire or ice. Only radiation and poison. Ice and fire (and radiation) seem to act more like concrete barriers.

There's a Ring of Protection (...somewhere, I found it in some random-ass area in Edan, around the early areas, if I recall correctly, only saw it because I had the Sunglasses on) that gives +10 to all resistances, and then there's the Mask that gives +25 Radiation and +25 Poison resistance. Then there's a Chem for each. In my experience, you should be fine with just the Mask and the Chems and 1 rank in Poison/Radiation for most areas, provided you don't stick around for too long.

Also, there's the Chem that gives +100 HP - that works extremely well for simply surviving a while longer in areas of fire/cold.

Until you have at least the Mask and the first ranks of Poison and Radiation resistance, I'd stay away from all areas with Radiation/Poison. You can usually run in there and grab everything and then run back out and heal, but it's not recommended, it's simply not worth it, 9 times out of 10. The fact that so little gear in the game seems to matter is pretty shitty. Lots of berserker gear could've given small bonuses to Cold Resistance or something, and the basic outlaw hat could've given +5 Heat Resistance, and shit like that - and Cleric helmets could've given the effects of the Sunglasses. But nope, sunglasses on 100% of the time is the deelio here. It's double infuriating since I should very obviously be able to wear the gas mask, sunglasses and a hood at the same time. Fuck, sunglasses should be able to be combined with almost all other headgear.

The fucking Legate Helmet for Clerics is a fucking closed helmet with a glass visor and what looks like a separate air supply, but does it protect against poison even a little? Of course not. Piddly gas mask over the mouth? +25!

Anyway, if you can find the ring (sorry, I really should've noted down where I find awesome shit...), 1 Protection Rank + Ring of Protection + Gas Mask + Chem will allow you to stay in Poison or Radiation for extended periods of time. For everything else, take a +100 HP chem and run in there. Remember to check the pits of convertors for Elex, if you need some.

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
Since attributes > all , is it worth to wait until lvl7 and dump everything on INT to take the "Attribute" skill (+1 attribute point /level) as early as possible? I was hoping to find a laz0r and start killing some stuff around level 7-8 but I guess non-combat quests carry you past 10 easily?

I would say it's worth it because you also need that Int level for rank 3 Animal Trophy skill which gets you lots of free Elex.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom