Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

ELEX ELEX RELEASE THREAD

Codex Year of the Donut
Finally decided to play ELEX after all this time. While I'm immensely enjoying the experience, just because I have only played modern garbage rpgs for the past 5 fucking years.. sad.. I'm such a wanker!
I really don't like that this game relies so heavily on quest markers! WTF I thought Piranha Bytes were above this shit! I was here for the Euro Jank puritan experience, instead I'm getting garbage from the Witcher 3. AAAAAAARRRRGGGGHHHH!!!!
It's not even playable without the markers, like for the murder quest the guy just told me "They are out there" WHERE MOTHERFUCKER? TELL ME WHERE????? AAAAAARRRRRGGGGHHHHH!!!!!
Nobody tells you anything, fucking Jax is psychic cause he seems to always know!!!! Fuck! Fuck! What happened, I just skipped one game and they became this quest marker shit. It's all cause of Witcher 3 isn't it!

Anyway, rest of the game seems good.
this game was canceled and replaced with the real elex 2

Dedicated_Dark

Arbiter
Played it for around 15 hours now. What's up with the loot? All I find is junk; potions, toilet paper, cigars and plants.. I thought exploration is supposedly rewarding in this game, but so far zero equipment.. oh! yea I found 1 amulet and 1 ring.. so I guess that's there. At this rate by the time I finish the game I would've found 2 weapons, 3 rings, 2 amulets and a billion toilet paper, half a billion cigars, 5000 plants and 700 potions.

The equipment I have is bought and then got from the faction, there is nothing out in the world. Even killing dudes wearing the equipment doesn't drop it. Wtf is this crap. In gothic you can beat people up and take their weapons atleast. Game's still good, but exploration is as rewarding as my ass!

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
There are a few strong weapons out there. But you have to either be lucky or read a guide to happen upon one.
And not nearly enough worthwhile stuff IMO.

ELEXmakesMeHard

Learned
Stable Diffusion's take on Trump as Jax in ELEX:

3.png
1.png

4.png
2.png

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
I have decided to give this bad boy another go, this time on the hardest difficulty. I never completed it the first time around but my PC sucked at the time. Any tips from fellow Elexbros? Not sure what faction I want, the last time I joined the high tech faction because I figured my guy would appreciate the side that has working toilets.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I forgot the entire game sadly. I remember playing on the hardest difficulty. I can't even remember what weapon I used.

I get that this isn't a very helpful post but the point is that you should probably get by fine no matter what you pick. I dimly recall that the Raider desert faction had the worst and the Techbro faction had the best rewards. I went Berserkers and that was fine. I think I used some magic but I can't at all remember.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Any tips from fellow Elexbros?

Most important tip, use the elex potions liberally on you first run. If you don't you get a different ending RP-wise but you also hamstring yourself p. badly gameplay-wise.

I strongly disagree. PB games are at their best before you become superOP, and chugging down elex potions makes you become superOP very fast. I didn't use them at all during my first playthrough and I think it was better off for it.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I have decided to give this bad boy another go, this time on the hardest difficulty. I never completed it the first time around but my PC sucked at the time. Any tips from fellow Elexbros? Not sure what faction I want, the last time I joined the high tech faction because I figured my guy would appreciate the side that has working toilets.

Clerics (the high tech faction) are great. Usually assiciated with ranged combat, are great to melee with sledgehammers as well. Their psi powers give them awesome survivability in melee other factions lack (death shield, decoy clones, teleport - plus the cool point-blank aoe shockwave, which ragdolls enemies around).

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

Most important tip, use the elex potions liberally on you first run. If you don't you get a different ending RP-wise but you also hamstring yourself p. badly gameplay-wise.

I strongly disagree. PB games are at their best before you become superOP, and chugging down elex potions makes you become superOP very fast. I didn't use them at all during my first playthrough and I think it was better off for it.
If you don't chug then you have to avoid most combat and only level up doing fetch quests in the towns for the first 20 hours of the game, if you're playing on the hardest diff. that is.

I don't know which diff. you played on but on my first run I quickly grew tired by playing an open-world adventure game for the first 1/3 of the runtime.

(Although nowadays you can mitigate that by using the overhaul mod that makes the difficulty curve somewhat less retarded than the original, so you can actually participate in some fighting from the get go without chugging potions).

Nikanuur

Arbiter
Patron

I must say, I was also very carefull about using those. My reason was the "Higher the power, higher the risk to become corrupt." which is only too well implemented in the Elex's Cold system.

Faarbaute

Arbiter
I've done at least one playthrough of each, from consuming all the elex I could to none at all and something in between and I agree with Darth Roxor.

There is probably a sweet spot, but the more elex you consume (particularly in the early game) the more the game turns from a brutal struggle and into a routine clean up operation, where you just go around indiscriminately killing everything with little suspense. It was quite boring, in comparison.

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
Thanks for all the tips guys. There's just one thing that still puzzles me...
1672283890910.png

Shouldn't they be called Magalanquakes?

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Started to play it and joined Berserk. Any way to increase my mana quickly? I can only throw 3 ice fists per mana "bar"...

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
Question about that Walter guy, who supposedly needs to have Rays contracts in his inventory. I don't exactly remember whether i killed him myself (he was tad aggressive on first meeting, if i remember) or some roaming monsters got him, but now he's gone from his usual place at teleporter. If i did kill him, then contracts would be in my inventory. They are quest items and can't be sold, right? If he was eaten by a troll, then what would happen to his body? In any way, it seems this quest is now unresolvable. It sores my eye, when quest log has leftovers. Is there a console with give_item option like in Gothic games?

Nikanuur

Arbiter
Patron
Any tips on starting this game? Is it playable on steam deck at all?
1. Don't give up due to the frustration of not being able to stand your ground against most enemies you meet for the first few levels. I'd advise skipping the exploration of the open world and finishing the first town and most of its quests first. Maybe carefully sample the nearest outskirts now and then. It'll provide much more sense and 'becoming a hero' feeling than plunging yourself in the open world, not being able to traverse half of it, dying to everything all the time, and then complaining about bloated HP, horrible dodge, and stuff like that.

2. Don't become Berserk before you leave the town into the open. You don't have to be one. Rather, see what other factions have in store for you, then decide.

3. Piranha games may seem tedious in the beginning—in the character progression, that is. If you are into modding and you want to speed that up a notch, try my economy mod. Its design was to provide a better incentive to look out for treasures and a little faster progression in the beginning. It shouldn't break the economy or anything. The mod is also compatible with the two largest Elex Overhauls on ModNexus. I recommend trying one of those too.

https://www.nexusmods.com/elex/mods/103
https://www.nexusmods.com/elex/mods/100
https://www.nexusmods.com/elex/mods/57

Last edited:

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Any tips on starting this game? Is it playable on steam deck at all?

I agree with everything Nikanur said, except that I'd say you SHOULD explore. The first few quests send you all over the map, and I think that's deliberate. You learn how to evade enemies, be scared in a very dangerous world, and you start to discover things and learn the map. But he's right that you shouldn't think of combat with anything but the weak creatures around the Berserker starting area at first.

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
Question about that Walter guy, who supposedly needs to have Rays contracts in his inventory. I don't exactly remember whether i killed him myself (he was tad aggressive on first meeting, if i remember) or some roaming monsters got him, but now he's gone from his usual place at teleporter. If i did kill him, then contracts would be in my inventory. They are quest items and can't be sold, right? If he was eaten by a troll, then what would happen to his body? In any way, it seems this quest is now unresolvable. It sores my eye, when quest log has leftovers. Is there a console with give_item option like in Gothic games?
Found Walter chilling near the volcano teleporter. Now another problem has appeared. I can't pickpocket anymore. Option just doesn't appear anymore, when crouched. Is this a known bug?
How are these overhauls?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom