Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

ELEX ELEX RELEASE THREAD

Xeon

Augur
Maybe they wanted to do something like Assassin Creed where you go to a high point and synchronize/reveal map but changed their minds later.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
It's a good thing nothing came out of it.

Depends. Obviously good if it were to be the latter, but I think I'd prefer to have to work for the map in some way instead of having it 100% unlocked from the very start.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
It's a good thing nothing came out of it.

Depends. Obviously good if it were to be the latter, but I think I'd prefer to have to work for the map in some way instead of having it 100% unlocked from the very start.
Maybe. I'm not against fog of war. I've tired of unlocking points of interest on the map by visiting tall buildings. My guess is that it is how it would have worked. They could have tied fog of war to teleporters, but I'm not the person to ask for game design ideas.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Fog of war would actually make game way easier to navigate.

Jetpack, I'd prefer they left it somewhere later into the game to make you work for it and feel more rewarded finding it, but then designers making monster encounters and ecology of the game would actually have to do work instead of just coding their trashmobs spawns and gettin stoned on german beer for whatever was left of their designer's time (which was probably most of it).

Last edited:

Modron

Arcane
Possible cut content hinting that there was a fog of war on the map at some point? Either that or bullshit AssCreed style "LOOK AROUND AND MARK ALL SIGHTSEEING SPOTS ON UR COMPASS".
I wish there was a fog of war, hard to know exactly where you've explored, ie hoovered items and plants up, unless you systematically clear areas before moving on. Granted a dumb Asscreed synchronization would have been undesirable.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Adding two instances of the numerical value of two to each other produces the sum of four. Subtracting one from this sum results in the number three. I have just demonstrated an example of the study of numbers done in a speedy fashion.

On each passing day the individual is located on the solid cube of hard material. Ignite large organisms of the plant kingdom on fire and slowly inhale the collection of airborne particulates generated from the combustion.

I watch and observe that individual that identifies as the female gender in the area of natural space set aside for human enjoyment. After taking everything into consideration I conclude that that particular female is an "uckers".

When the distinct inanimate object generated the sound similar to the sound ducks produce, exactly three times. You, a male human being, were lowering your body quickly so as to hide yourself.

Human individual that chooses to identify himself as "Azsnee", please wait and do not perform any actions for now. The fellow person of the male sex is the sole owner of the object I refer to as "pumpee".

Other fellow male human being that I own, please also wait a bit and refrain from doing anything. The other fellow individual possesses a flat disc-shaped item that can fly long distances in the air when thrown with strength and given a spin.

I proceed to lure an entity into a planted device designed to catch it, three consecutive times. And I do this on the piece of paved land designed to allow large vehicles to be driven on it. I transport and set into motion the popular breakfast cereal called "Corn Flakes".

I now randomly mention the name of another well known cereal "Rice Krispies". Just like I instructed the two previous humans, I also advise you, the person of the female sex that belongs to me, that goes by the name of "Whitney", to stand by and remain in readiness.

While on the paved route I am currently creating ten appendages that typically protrude out of the foot of animals that have feet. I ask you to please enjoy and be fond of my pedal digits.

You, a masculine adult, held the belief that the water in my body had cooled down and changed its physical state to that of a solid. I visually perceive a physically attractive female human being which causes me to assume an intentionally seductive body position.

If the said female human is not situated on the thing, then I quickly leave the premises as if I turned into an apparition of a dead person that can appear in the world of the living. I laugh, but you should also direct your gaze towards the body part responsible for the sense of smell that projects above your mouth.

"Could you please repeat what you said?" I say in a loud manner. "I choose to equate you with the distal tip of the male sexual organ." Again, I instruct you to direct your eyes downwards towards the central protruding organ of your face, your nose.

The end-to-end distance of your nose is so long that it can be visually compared to a flexible tube that is used to spray water in a garden. I now proceed to make an attempt at reproducing the sound that said garden hose makes when active, using my mouth.

I ask you to confirm whether you have in fact succeeded in attaining me. I try to imitate the sound of a sudden gaseous expansion usually caused by a bomb. The human person is planning to return back to his internal location.

Could you please divulge your honest opinion on whether you do look on with favor to that? Also could you please declare whether your bodily senses are perceiving that?

I proclaim that you have in fact done already known all along. I am visually discerning that your superficial muscles are shaking uncontrollably as if you are frightened. Please do not react in fear as if you have just witnessed an unexpected event, fellow male member of the Homo sapiens species. You are currently guaranteed to be safe from any harm, the fact of which is typically referred to as being "protected". But I also like to add another "ed" syllable at the end of this word. Affirmative?

I now proceed to mimic the sound produced in a violent explosion. I present the suggestion that both you and I should depart from the place we're currently residing in. For a second time I reproduce the sound of a fiery explosion.

Exit the vehicle containing four hinged doorways in one quick maneuver while holding a .44 caliber pistol. The first four integers in the numeral system were all, in fact, in existence.

The temperature of my body is gradually becoming colder while I'm situated in a long roofed passage inside a building. The male human individual whose gamete conceived you has been living in this world for at least forty-four years.

This same person is still using a modern telecommunications device to contact another human being and request the artistic production of a picture made with pencil and paper.

Please disclose to your male biological parent what I am about to say next. As soon as said person falls within my visual field. I will initiate the action of grabbing and quickly rotating horizontally the mandible bone in the lower part of his face.

I order you to retrieve a chocolate bar going by the name "Twix" belonging to the fellow male individual, using physical violence if necessary. Please also order this same human to visit an establishment where goods are sold for financial profit, again using physical strength when needed.

The person of the female gender that belongs to you is correctly aware that I have full access to the semi-liquid substance that is typically added to a meal to add flavor. I do not own any tomato-based condiment however.

It is only the same creamy fluid used for savory dishes that I desire. This preparation is also pure and not cooked or processed in any way.

Now I'm going to reproduce the sound generated in an explosive blast one more time, say a short slang term used to greet someone or call for attention, and utter the non-existent and meaningless word "gah".

The object without a precise designation, often referred to simply as "thing", but which I pronounce without the letter "h", produces a vast array of sounds that I find very difficult to describe using just the English language. Therefore I am instead going to try to mimic the sounds with my own voice while making convincing gestures using my hands, arms and whole body. The sounds vary from those consisting of just one syllable to more complicated ones that require me to move and slide my tongue along the roof of my mouth very quickly and repeatedly. Some of the sounds resemble those caused by bullet-firing weapons while others are similar to explosive detonations. However, some people would say that they are actually unintelligible words and would classify them as gibberish. I have to admit that one of the reasons I am in fact making all these sounds is to produce a humorous effect by intentionally emphasizing the ridiculousness of it all.

I again repeat the fact that you have done already known. As a unique individual I choose to identify myself using the name "Big Shaq".

Now I proceed to utter multiple monosyllables that start with the letter "y".

I'd like to inform you that there is a process of rapid oxidation of flammable material under way right now, which is releasing a significant amount of heat and light. This is happening in the small compartment we are currently inside, and I choose to inform you of this exactly three times.

Could you confirm if you do in fact acquire me? The male individual belonging to the Homo sapiens species has a temperature value which is not so high that it would cause him discomfort.

I explain this fact to the fellow female person by saying, "The male human does not in fact have a high degree of heat." Again, I repeat the same thing to the same female, "The individual of the male sex is not perceiving a sensation of great bodily heat."

The human being identifying herself as the female gender requested me to remove my thick outer garment from my body.

I replied to her by saying, "Informal term that literally means a very young toddler but is typically used to describe a good looking female human person, the male individual is in fact not feeling as if his internal body temperature has a significantly high value."

I then proceed to shout "The human being of the male sex cannot ever have a high enough temperature that could cause a sensation similar to that of burning, not now or any other time in the future."

I will now say the formal term that describes the bodily process wherein fluid is produced by sweat glands in the skin of most mammals and is then left to evaporate, with the result of heat being dissipated off the animal's body. I have also decided to add the slang term "ting" right after.

Next, I will mention the name of the brand "Lynx" that, among other products, manufactures several types of deodorants which are used to cut down on the unpleasant body odors that can be caused by excessive sweating. I will also say the English word that describes a change which is a result of a previously performed action

NotAGolfer

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
also reading up again...

Also what's the point of the strong attack really? It doesn't even fill your power attack bar so why would I ever use it if I don't want to knock things down but to kill them?

:what:

Nigga, you are doing something very, very ronk.

Also, strong attack is useful because it is much more likely to stagger stronger enemies than light ones. You'd know this if you tried experimenting.
Doesn't seem useful to me, at least not with the chainsword I'm using. I might be able to knock out an enemy once in a while but with normal attacks too. And it happens too rarely with strong attacks to matter, at least for the enemy types that cause me trouble.
Atm it's 6 normal plus one special attack and then I'm out of stamina. Or fewer because the enemy won't let me complete the chain.
Since I can do two normal attacks for the stamina cost of one strong attack (and the next attack in the chain is always much stronger than the previous one so I'm quite sure that together they deal more damage) and they are much much faster so enemies will more likely stay stunlocked I don't have any use for strong attacks.
And I won't use a shield, the special attack on those things is pitiful. I can knock things down reliably with them, but that's not worth it if my damage output is gimped that much. Because that seventh attack in the chain, the special attack, is insanely powerful when it connects. It is already better than the shield bash when used as 5. attack in the chain, which is the minimum I need to unlock that attack.

When I die I mostly do because someone used really heavy artillery on me so I went down and subsequent attacks finished me off or because I couldn't get away from 2 or three enemies stunlocking me with attack chains. You can't dodge roll without stamina which kinda sucks.
For example I just revisited that city with the force field dome on level 12 (still didn't join a faction) and
Alps took over and probably killed everyone. So before trying to go in there I revisited the Outlaw camp in front of the city, since I decided that these are my homies this time. They seemed to be dead too because there were three Alps in their place. And I just managed to kill them after about 10 reloads.
I frequently have encounters like that, everything out there is dangerous and I was too stubborn to not try to kill something that needs less than 4 full attack chains to kill. And I didn't really care if the same enemies could finish me in 2 or 3 hits before I grew tired of this shit which admittedly took a while (now I only do fights I feel I have to like the ones at that domed city, I don't want to wait until I joined a faction to see what happened there).

But I'll see if I can effectively block normal attacks from animals, thanks. Not that it will save me that often, one lone mutant dog rarely manages to kill me anymore, despite only needing 3 or 4 attacks to empty my health bar and that insanely aggressive AI these dogs are using.
But maybe that also applies to desert spiders. These things really give me a headache atm.

Last edited:

Tigranes

Arcane
??? Strong attacks with a variety of weapons can lay flat human enemies with almost guaranteed reliability. I haven't tested extensively with nonhuman enemies but it's certainly not a once upon a time thing. I wonder if that has to do with the chainsword, or something else you're doing.

The fact that you mention how the times you die it's because someone knocks you down should tell you how important it is to have that in your own arsenal.

"I was too stubborn to not try to kill something [far too powerful for my level]" really sums it up. (Again, if you enjoy it, that's part of the PB tradition. But if you don't, you really have yourself to blame.)

Yes, it's weird after Risen, where it almost felt like chickens were harder than paladins because you couldn't block any animal attacks, going to this where you can put up a shield against a fucking mutant.

Desert spiders are pretty strong critters and normally you'd wait for the mid-tier power progression (~level 15 & faction armour, etc).

NotAGolfer

Arcane
Patron
Well, seems like I have to try a different weapon then.
Because these Alps didn't get knocked down on strong attacks and I tried it over and over on the last one standing (even saving and reloading after it went down). And it was not a commander, it was a normal foot soldier.

Some kind of documentation about the advantages and disadvantages of different weapon types would be really great, PB. :argh:

Because I just watched a part of a video and the guy there explained something about axes and swords and maces and hammers and whatnot all having different debuffs applied to their special attacks. Wtf?!

Since I'm doing nothing but bitching anyway, I will also add that I don't find knocking out enemies that useful. Because for some reason that eludes me PB decided to give each enemy a free attack that I can't interrupt once it recovers. So I might get 2 or 3 swings in (of course rather weak ones because the real magic happens on the last few attacks in the chain) and then I have to dodge if I don't want to get hit.
So why should I knock down enemies again? They recover very quickly and I can't build up enough melee damage before they do. If I just keep them stunlocked but on their feet instead I can usually finish them off a lot faster.
At least that's how it is for human enemies and many animals and monsters. Not all of them can be stunlocked though.

Last edited:

Shadenuat

Arcane
IDK who said quest compass is not turned on by default - it auto-tracks "Survive" quest automatically for example, showing every main settlement in the game, and any main quest you get I think from the start. I turned it off on purpose in the beginning but it toggled on again once I finished first plot relevant quest.

Ugggh GOG version even has achivos.

??? Strong attacks with a variety of weapons can lay flat human enemies with almost guaranteed reliability.
iirc humans just fall flat if they reach 0 stamina and get hit once, it doesn't matter what attack you use. Just wait them use up their stamina and chain attacks > they'll stagger.

Last edited:

Lambach

Arcane
So when do I get to the point where I'm able to kill even a single thing without cheesing the fuck out of it? I'm level 8 now and I've pumped Dex to 35, Int to 30 and Str to 20, got the first Ranged Combat skill and I swear to Christ my arrows don't do a lick of damage more than they did at level 1 with all attributes at 10 and no Skills.

Fortunately, Duras' quest was relatively easy to complete as long as you keep jetpacking and sprinting away from everything, so he's a big help, don't know how I'd manage without him. Unlike myself, he actually has some tangible damage. I kite and occasionally pop an arrow, he stabs them in the butthole. Worked relatively well until I ran into 5-6 Alb scouts in the Valley of the Damned. No kiting can help against half a dozen dudes with lightning-fast rifles that kill me in 2 hits.

NotAGolfer

Arcane
Patron
Duras is weak sauce. Get Falk (Clerics guy with a gun that shoots plasma balls or whatever) or Caja (Berserker mage).
At least these two can do a little bit of damage before they will inevitably go down like flies.

And on level 8 you're a wimp anyway. Don't expect to kill anything with ranged weapons atm. And with melee don't take on anything stronger than a raptor. Basically run and jetpack away all the time. Yes, it feels shitty. And yes, it's shitty design, because again, this is not the way Gothic I and II distributed enemies across their maps. They had their quests confined to (mostly) closed off areas where enemies always were within a certain level range compared to you and that gave you a nice little challenge but not more. Except for the occasional shadowbeast of course.
This game map here was filled by a bot, and clearly not one with a very sophisticated algorithm.

If you hate the combat then one way to give you more power quickly and avoid the inevitable combat fatigue is to drink a lot of medium Elex potions so you meet these attribute requirements for better ranged weapons faster. Attributes alone don't do shit, they are just there to lock you out of using all the non-combat skills and especially these fancy high tier weapons you might find too early. Basically think Witcher 3 minimum level requirements but less obvious. But just as lazily designed.

unrelated story spoiler:
Great, now everyone in Abessa is dead. There are just a lot of pale guys standing around, firing at everything that moves. Thanks, game, especially for making me feel like this is my fault. I sabotaged the city a little, helped the Outlaws. But I didn't expect this, I just expected a little civil unrest and Darrell taking over after that.
Fuck you, PB, FUCK YOU!!!
:rage:
:negative:

Last edited:

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
So when do I get to the point where I'm able to kill even a single thing without cheesing the fuck out of it? I'm level 8 now and I've pumped Dex to 35, Int to 30 and Str to 20, got the first Ranged Combat skill and I swear to Christ my arrows don't do a lick of damage more than they did at level 1 with all attributes at 10 and no Skills.

You don’t say anything about equipment—are you using the same bow? Attributes have no impact on damage, they’re just prerequisites for getting skills or better gear. If you’re still using the same crappy bow, that’s why you continue to do very little damage. You need a better weapon.

PS. With your DEX/INT build, you’d better get a laser or a plasma rifle. If you want to use a decent bow you need to start putting more points into STR. Chug a half a dozen elex potions and you can use a real weapon that will let you start doing real damage in no time.

Last edited:

Shadenuat

Arcane
So when do I get to the point where I'm able to kill even a single thing without cheesing the fuck out of it?
Depends on difficulty, but about at point when you have 60 damage weapon at least or better. So Tier 2 weapon, preferably with DoT on it like energy or poison/bleed/radiation whatever other factions have, since it passes through armor. Before that, stack grenades or find any DoT weapon (regent's sword or flamethrower)

Tigranes

Arcane
NotAGolfer enemies dont get free attacks after they are knovked down. I know what you mean because if you pressure them with quick attacks while they are down theres a certain kind of recovering slash some humans do. But like all attacks it can be observed, timed and avoided, or even prevented by retiming your own attacks. (Hard to describe but you should experiment with little pauses to shake up your own attack timings.) I can now perma knock chain enemies w/out ever worrying about that recovery once i learned. So honestly it really is about learning the ropes - you can argue it should be documented better etc but its definitely not that knockdowns are shit or that they get free attacks.

Tigranes

Arcane
Lambach see my earlier post on power progression thresholds. Level 8 is really early game - if youve been trying to fight and die and also not join factions it feels like a long time but you can start to kill weak shit around lv8-10 if you join faction, prob more like 15 if not.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Bow has 36 damage, that's more than ax, that can kill Bitter. So either you are without proper weapons, or you are bad at combat. If you are talking about Rippers... Smart are avoiding ripers, stone claws, or anything fast and big.

Look, the key to Elex combat is to stop burdening it with logic or elegance. Stop assuming that just because the developers put in a roll or a parry, they meant those to be used. Just cheese it like it's an 80s console game. Hold up block and side step, get some hits in in-between, works like a charm against everything. Will that be fun or give you satisfaction? No, but at least it will be effective enough to get past the shitty combat system.

Geckabor

Savant
"Reveal map"

Clicking it triggers a generic "Can't do anything with this" response.

Possible cut content hinting that there was a fog of war on the map at some point? Either that or bullshit AssCreed style "LOOK AROUND AND MARK ALL SIGHTSEEING SPOTS ON UR COMPASS".

The radio tower is in my opinion quite clearly a joke reference to Assassin's Creed. The lines Jax says in German basically reveals that they are making fun of the game mechanic, since he has multiple jokes/references until he just starts saying "I can't use this". I too was quite surprised when I saw that but think it's actually quite funny.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
The lines Jax says in German basically reveals that they are making fun of the game mechanic, since he has multiple jokes/references until he just starts saying "I can't use this".

I thought all of these were just generic responses that you also see in a few other spots once you've done something and can't do it again ("There's no point", "I can't use this", etc).

but mebbe im ronk and dumb
mystery.png

kain30

Cipher
Does Elex have multiple endings and permutations like fallout 1 & 2?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom