Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

ELEX ELEX RELEASE THREAD

razvedchiki

Erudite
Where can I buy shotguns from the outlaws?or do I have to join them for them to appear?

Murk

Arcane
There's a weapon dealer near the goods dealer to the east of the main entrance (guy at a booth) near where you first see Wyatt.

You can buy shotguns from other places too I think. Don't need to join.

You can also steal a special one.

From duke's bunker near the top where his guard is, you can wait til midnight to get in

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I only heard about these mythological shotguns in my playthrough. I found ammo, but never actually saw one.

Grimlorn

Arcane
The weapons dealer doesn't sell shotguns and I haven't found any other place,the unique ones have much higher attribute prerequisites to use than a regural-upgraded one.
Did you try the merchant downstairs from the Duke?

The only other place I can think of is Abessa. Maybe the merchants, but I know there is one behind the bar in there. Not sure you can steal it without the barkeeper seeing you.

Murk

Arcane
The weapons dealer doesn't sell shotguns and I haven't found any other place,the unique ones have much higher attribute prerequisites to use than a regural-upgraded one.
Did you try the merchant downstairs from the Duke?

The only other place I can think of is Abessa. Maybe the merchants, but I know there is one behind the bar in there. Not sure you can steal it without the barkeeper seeing you.

So I think shop inventories change on some variable that isn't just chapter.

My chapter 2 cleric can't get shotguns from the outlaw weapon dealer.

But my chapter 1 outlaw (who is higher level) can:

7AnJwCJ.jpg

Tygrende

Arbiter
Where can I buy shotguns from the outlaws?or do I have to join them for them to appear?
As far as I'm aware they won't sell shotguns unless you join them first. Actually I don't think there is any trader in the entire game that sells shotguns if you didn't join a faction yet.

I'm aware of 3 shotguns that can be found in the world:

1. A scrap shotgun somewhere in the valley of the damned, don't remember exact location. Hardly worth the hassle, tt deals less damage than an unupgraded cultivator bow.
2. The barkeeper in Abessa has a double barrel shotgun lying under the counter, you can steal it. This one is decent and has relatively low requirements.
3. The Duke in the Fort has an unique shotgun called Thunderclap, it's in his room upstairs. Probably the best shotgun in the game with really high requirements.

That said shotguns are underwhelming. There is something seriously wrong with their projectile, it tends to pass through enemies, especially at long range.

Murk

Arcane
As far as I'm aware they won't sell shotguns unless you join them first. Actually I don't think there is any trader in the entire game that sells shotguns if you didn't join a faction yet.

1. A scrap shotgun somewhere in the valley of the damned, don't remember exact location. Hardly worth the hassle, tt deals less damage than an unupgraded cultivator bow.
2. The barkeeper in Abessa has a double barrel shotgun lying under the counter, you can steal it. This one is decent and has relatively low requirements.
3. The Duke in the Fort has an unique shotgun called Thunderclap, it's in his room upstairs. Probably the best shotgun in the game with really high requirements.

That said shotguns are underwhelming. There is something seriously wrong with their projectile, it tends to pass through enemies, especially at long range.

There's one more than can be looted:

farm north east of the damn between Ignidon and Abessa

TBH the duke's unique shotgun is actually p good for it's stat reqs (most uniques aren't though, I agree.)

I dunno wtf is the deal with uniques since they can't be upgraded anyway.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Some of the directions are vague, but it works if you're willing to look at the map and observe that there are shapes/structures strewn about it.

For example, the cleric Acolyte quest to go to the 4 shrines. You get "start here, go west, then south, then east" directions. They're all along major roads. You could argue that there's a metric ton of places the shrines could be, but... you know, it's a game, so more likely the things are in the more obvious than less obvious places.

Conversely, the one to recruit more people for the clerics is a bit more... vague. You get "one is in abessa" and "the other is in edan" but there's no clear implication to guide you, you would kind of just have to stumble around. I don't mind the latter, to be honest, but that's one that could have used more polish.

Vague quest on a specific location are OK, but...

Really it should have been "go talk to X for more info about it" where-in X is some scout who then details landmarks around the areas or reported where-abouts.

I am so sick to death of that specific kind of "find the person to talk to part of a quest, by first going to talk to X and found out where Z is".

Better Quest design:
Give general area of where person is (vague).
Based on what you know about the character (such as what clan they are with or whatever profession they are), place them in the area that would make sense for that character.

imweasel

the point is that that the fact that quest markers almost always point you towards the objective, even if said objective is meant to be hidden
Have you tried roleplaying and not activating quest markers? It works substantially better than sperging or having a debate of principles, i.e. "I don't like quest markers so nobody should have the option to use them".

Murk

Arcane
I am so sick to death of that specific kind of "find the person to talk to part of a quest, by first going to talk to X and found out where Z is".

Better Quest design:
Based on what you know about the character (such as what clan they are with or whatever profession they are), place them in the area that would make sense for that character.

Yeah, there's ways to get it done, I just threw out something at the moment based on the dialog in game. That specific quest has 3 people spread throughout the world and is given under the auspices of "the scouts have found" -- so giving you a scout report or something would work. The game does have the cheap fall back of "let me upload the coordinates to your pip boy adjutor" but it's exactly that, a cheap fall back.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA

Better Quest design:

Yeah, there's ways to get it done, I just threw out something at the moment based on the dialog in game. That specific quest has 3 people spread throughout the world and is given under the auspices of "the scouts have found" -- so giving you a scout report or something would work. The game does have the cheap fall back of "let me upload the coordinates to your pip boy adjutor" but it's exactly that, a cheap fall back.

Again, (because I HATE this fucking tired old quest design) place the character in a logical place, based on their profession in an area. Like say a guy who is a trader, he will probably be found in that area that has an area that has merchants and such.

I'm just a bigger fan of people paying attention and using logical conclusion, than just finding someone and then telling you where to find them.

Sorry, this is just a gigantic PET PEEVE of mine heh... It just annoys me.

coldcrow

Prophet
Patron
Looks like a German Youtuber answered my question from p24. https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=693&v=gg93p29axXA
The English localisation seems to be of higher quality regarding content in 1:1 comparison. They seem to have gotten a lot of freedom to change content while translating, which was a very good decision.
The voice acting is another story though.

It was the case for Risen 1-3, too. Those have pretty good english localisations and VO. Proper German is really hard, since in addition to a complex grammar and a shitload of nouns, you have to master speech melody to overcome the inherent abrasiveness. Many of the current VA in germany can't do that at all.
English is easier in the regard, as there is more of an intrinsic flow to it.

PS: As I am replaying PB games, I can't forgive them about fucking up Risen 2's combat system so hard. In fact there is a well designed world to explore and all the other systems (though the new char advancement system is mediocre) are fine. But that new combat sure ruins it all.

Elex

Arbiter

There's one more than can be looted:

farm north east of the damn between Ignidon and Abessa

TBH the duke's unique shotgun is actually p good for it's stat reqs (most uniques aren't though, I agree.)

I dunno wtf is the deal with uniques since they can't be upgraded anyway.
unique weapons have different requirement (but extremely hight) so a character with a different build can use them.

some have unique stuff like extra skills

i guess in certain cases they have hidden stuff the unique shotgun look like deal extra damage to troll vs a similar damage plasmagun

It works substantially better than sperging or having a debate of principles, i.e. "I don't like quest markers so nobody should have the option to use them".

You've got to be trolling at this point because no honest human being would miss the point so hard and so consistently. Please quote me saying that no-one should have the option to use QMs and not what I actually said the solution to the problem could be:

the game would be better if this was fixed either by providing proper direction for quests that luck it or hiding quest markers for quests which are meant to be "mysteries".

Other solutions include having markers that cover a broad area but do not give the exact position, ala Witcher 3. In other words, I want to see the system improved rather than QMs removed entirely. All along you have been arguing against an imaginary position which only exists in your mind (or you have been trolling, in which case well played.)

Have you tried roleplaying and not activating quest markers?

Translation:

"Then don't use quest markers, you fucking sperglord, they are completely optional."

Well yeah, that works well but you occasionally get blindsided by quests with shitty direction.

Refer to my last post for how the rest of the conversation is going to go if we choose to tread on that hellish path once more.

I bring up a minor but valid complaint with the game and you end up agreeing with me, but seeing as you have chosen to intentionally lobotomize yourself by fanboying PB so hard we first have to go through a complicated and painful ordeal in which you establish that somehow I am simultaneously a 1. moron who doesn't know how to explore 2. an evil Codex nazi who wants to enforce his love for exploration by removing everyone's constitutional right to mark quests.

Who is sperging now?

Last edited:

Murk

Arcane
unique weapons have different requirement (but extremely hight) so a character with a different build can use them.

i guess in certain cases they have hidden stuff the unique shotgun look like deal extra damage to troll vs a similar damage plasmagun

I thought they followed conventional reqs? Like the Ignis Artifex requires STR and DEX, but if you have enough of the stats to use it, you could just use a different and better 2handed sword. Same thing with the Executer (Laser Rifle is better). I guess one perk is they're usually equal to or better than a +1 weapon so you can test the weapon type out without having to upgrade it.

Ones like the Phantom String do give you the 2 skills for the special arrow shots, so there is definitely that.

The shotgun itself is pretty strong, like the Redeemer, potentially better than getting a standard weapon and upgrading it to III (Redeemer is better than Plasma Blaster III anyway).

Also, I think the regular plasma shots actually do more damage than the exploding orb (though not by a huge chunk). Testing it on large enemies seems to show that the exploding shot does very minor damage where-as the regular one does more and is more spammable.

Unrelated but the Redeemer has a weird bug where it's EMP and plasma orb shots have their icons mixed, and for some reason it will often fail to be taken out loaded. That is, if you swap from one gun to it, you will be at 0/7 ammo loaded and will have to manually reload it.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Also, I think the regular plasma shots actually do more damage than the exploding orb (though not by a huge chunk). Testing it on large enemies seems to show that the exploding shot does very minor damage where-as the regular one does more and is more spammable.

That was my impression when using it first against a chimera, but then I did the same against a stoneclaw (one normal shot, take pic, reload, explosive, take pic, compare), and they were the same on a direct hit. Also, being more spammable doesn't do much when the hitboxes for ranged in this game are so tarded that half your normal shots will go right through the target.

Elex

Arbiter
I thought they followed conventional reqs? Like the Ignis Artifex requires STR and DEX, but if you have enough of the stats to use it, you could just use a different and better 2handed sword. Same thing with the Executer (Laser Rifle is better). I guess one perk is they're usually equal to or better than a +1 weapon so you can test the weapon type out without having to upgrade it.

Ones like the Phantom String do give you the 2 skills for the special arrow shots, so there is definitely that.

The shotgun itself is pretty strong, like the Redeemer, potentially better than getting a standard weapon and upgrading it to III (Redeemer is better than Plasma Blaster III anyway).

Unrelated but the Redeemer has a weird bug where it's EMP and plasma orb shots have their icons mixed, and for some reason it will often fail to be taken out loaded. That is, if you swap from one gun to it, you will be at 0/7 ammo loaded and will have to manually reload it.
each unique weapon is well unique, but for example many unique ranged weapon require a lot STR and some Dex(int) instead of a lot of DEX and some str(int).

same for melee weapon that require more DEX than STR.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Ignis Artifex is requires way more dexterity than strength--it's a great example of how legendary weapons have weird requirements. I agree with those who say PB did it this way to make it easier for people with a ranged build to use a melee weapon or vice versa, hence all the rare energy weapons with very high STR requirements for melee builds.

Murk

Arcane

That was my impression when using it first against a chimera, but then I did the same against a stoneclaw (one normal shot, take pic, reload, explosive, take pic, compare), and they were the same on a direct hit. Also, being more spammable doesn't do much when the hitboxes for ranged in this game are so tarded that half your normal shots will go right through the target.

Initially I thought I was seeing "more damage" because I was forced to make direct hits as well, but even up close I noticed some differences. I guess a controlled trial is ideal, I'll murder some town folks later :D

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Spoilerific screen, but I liked this place.
D33B7790AB1AEDA7F2607A7C9AAC1C04261C852F

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom