Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

ELEX ELEX RELEASE THREAD

Kahr

I also underestimated "Good Eater". It basically makes health potions useless. (Except you want to heal fast in combat)

Raapys

Arcane
About a minor Berserker quest:
Did anyone see any progression on the quest about that Berserker cultivator who was injecting Mana the same way the Albs injected ELEX? I was wondering how that would end, and whether the player could get some of the same shit, but only betraying him to his superiors seemed to have have any effect.

Shadenuat

Arcane
I also underestimated "Good Eater". It basically makes health potions useless. (Except you want to heal fast in combat)
Yea it triples hp from food meaning 12 from fried meat becomes 36 which is more than half of a small healing potion, while woodlice dish becomes 60 which is exactly as small hp potion. I would add skill that shows every teleporter on the map to that. Usually it's not a useful skill in modern games but in Elex it helps with exploration, finding important places and farming spots a lot.
for example it will show you where your future stronghold is

Now if only Elex was finite like some of stuff in Gothic games (special ore? I don't remember) then these skills & Trophies which are usually not good in AAA games would be an exception for this game which would be nice. But since I have about 50 healing potions and 97 meat in inventory right now...

Also while playing now, completely drunk (helps with pushing through for those 30k for last armor and finishing main quests as I burned out after doing side quests and didn't feel like returning back to the game - took me 30 hours to do all cool content for main cities), I just learned that if you hold RB with ranged weapon while jumping down you hover on jetpack while stabily aiming. Makes it super easy to kill enemies below.

Still when there are 3 beakers 5 spiders 1 troll 2 mutants 17 dogs on the short parth between teleporter A and quest maker B it burns you out even when you kill them in 1-2 hits and know they give you moneys... and then there are albs to kill...

Alcohol really improves this game. Especially late game.

Last edited:

ortucis

Prophet
Yeah, all my companions are similar. They don't attack enemies until enemies attack them or I attack enemies. AI in this game is beyond retarded.
I heard it's not retarded, first companions have different "enthusiasm" to fight for you, where Ray have the least, second it depent on his/her relationship with Jax - you know that thing - Name likes you, adore etc.

All of my companions like me :hug: and I have finished all except 2 companion's side quests. And I have journeyed with them all and seen their AI in action. There is no difference. Cmon people, PB can't even be arsed to make a different AI for mechs from a chicken, they won't make different AI for companions.

Friend of Beasts skill is funny. P. much every animal aside from slugbeast is docile above level 30.

That's a useless skill. Just spring away and enemies lose interest. Just don't bring the enemies to neutral quest NPC's. Once, a separatist Alb disappeared fighting the enemies I aggroed to his camp, forcing me to reload to finish the quest (without bringing enemies to their base).

PS: Pretty impressive that there are still 12,000 people who played this game today. PB's first real success? (money-wise) Codex needs to interview them to find out.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
All right fuckers, I'm installing ELEX now. If it turns out to be shit, I'll be able to add to my list of people whose opinions can be discarded.

As for the combat: I've seen numerous videos of it, and it looks fucking awful compared to any halfway-competent third-person action game, including those with "strong RPG elements" (Dark Souls, Dragon's Dogma et al.); perhaps it's not so bad when compared to third-person action RPGs per se, but ELEX is still a third-person action game in addition to being an RPG. This may be acceptable, because combat isn't anywhere near the most important aspect of an RPG, but defending it makes you look like a bunch of morons.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
What is consensus of Kodex?

This game is good or not?
It's complete trash, don't bother.

Enemies kill you easily, you can't undo certain choices, NPCs get angry at you for doing stuff quests tell you to do, NPCs are very unfriendly and the melee combat requires some finesse which is bullshit.
Also the books and notes you find are not fully voice-acted.

Pass on this garbage, you illiterate moron.

Shadenuat

Arcane
UOd1Fz0.png

:shredder:

dragonul09

Arcane
Edgy
The game really starts to become tedious toward the end, especially when everyone treats you worse than a UPS employee, fetch me 3 pieces of this, fetch 10 piece of that and the big empty pointless map doesn't help at all. What the fuck was the point making the world so big when you could just cut half of it and you wouldn't realise it's missing, it's the same damn stupid mistake that Gothic 3 did, just empty vast pieces of land with a randomly generated chicken look-alike here and there. They really need to go back to what made this fucking studio, small-medium sized and well crafted worlds and what they do instead, they cather to the open world retards that like to run around like headless chickens doing jack shit.

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
I would add skill that shows every teleporter on the map to that. Usually it's not a useful skill in modern games but in Elex it helps with exploration, finding important places and farming spots a lot.
Yeah, I initially underestimated this, but it's actually extremely valuable, at least until you've played the game at least once or twice, because those fuckers are extremely easy to miss. You can walk straight past one and never know. It wasn't until I took it I saw that there's actually three teleporters in Goliet, for example, despite me having been over Goliet multiple times by then. It also "spoils" you on a few important locations on your first playthrough, though, by telling you exactly where they are, but it's not like quest markers and similar decline isn't already, so /shrug.
The game really starts to become tedious toward the end, especially when everyone treats you worse than a UPS employee, fetch me 3 pieces of this, fetch 10 piece of that and the big empty pointless map doesn't help at all. What the fuck was the point making the world so big when you could just cut half of it and you wouldn't realise it's missing, it's the same damn stupid mistake that Gothic 3 did, just empty vast pieces of land with a randomly generated chicken look-alike here and there. They really need to go back to what made this fucking studio, small-medium sized and well crafted worlds and what they do instead, they cather to the open world retards that like to run around like headless chickens doing jack shit.
I can't really agree with this, although I'm unsurprised by the fact that the game gets tedious "toward the end" (I can't imagine that I'm anywhere near the end and it's already fucking tedious), because in my experience so far, there's no massive empty stretches of land, and I almost feel like I can't go two steps without stumbling upon something, even if it's something very small.

I imagine that later, you'll start to ignore that shit simply because it's so beneath you and you just want to fucking go somewhere and get some fucking shit done because oh god just fucking die augh, but that's hard to avoid in anything where you spend time in a "shared space" that includes almost the entire game. It's near-impossible to avoid in open world games, and I get that you don't enjoy those (I generally do not, either, precisely because of issues like this), but I can't support calling it a "big empty pointless map".

I'm still wondering if anything will send me to the south-west, though, or if you're essentially just sent into some areas if you're part of a very specific faction, in true MMO spirit.

Last edited:

Shadenuat

Arcane
hey Roxor you know what else you get 2000 experience for

82AzwvD.png

xWNEK2t.png

:drink:

that was..... kinda even more sudden than Mass Effect 2 romances to be honest

HEY

iqdqvMQ.png

YOU WALK THESE BARE FEET EVERYWHERE GET OFF MY CLEAN BED SHEETS WOMYN

okay, back to main quest dungeon 100 km away because that romance dialogue abruptly teleported me back to home base. and they say Aerie can be annoying when she wants to talk about her scars in firkraag dungeon.

dammit I'm also naked with exception of my ring of combat.

Last edited:

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture

I played the entire game recently.

Which quests are you talking about? I don't remember ANY quest like this "toward the end".

Shadenuat

Now fuck Nasty!

Shadenuat

Arcane
The game really starts to become tedious toward the end
Yeah you don't even work with your faction, just take fetch quests from plot relevant NPCs. Compared to first act it's so linear and cringy.

Act 3, Shut Down 3 more Oblivion Gates Elex plants incoming hurraaah....

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
I wanted to buy some armor from her, but she only had a hat that cost 95 cigarettes.

Clearly this game was developed by people who grew up in East Germany.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
I just completed it. The ending was mostly fine, although it is pretty clear that it is sequel bait. My boring thoughts in the spoiler.
The fight against the Hybrid was piss easy. If he is "peak evolution" then peak evolution is a fucking joke considering that one normal guy with magic can kill him alone. I just ran in circles, drank a few potions and used my poison ball spell against him. On the actual ending itself, again it is crystal clear that it is sequel bait. You either kill him, join with him or I don't know what the third option is because my ending was emotional. After you fight him you can warn the other factions on what to do against the coming threat. I don't believe the Hybrid could have done anything and if Elex 2 will be a thing I wonder if it will have a Mass Effect style save game import feature, but it will probably just end with one canon ending for the first which it picks up from the second. The real question is, when will Elex 2 or PB's next game release? The Risen games came out every 2 or so years, in 2009, 2012 and 2014, so at best we can hope that Elex 2 will come out in 2019 or 2020? Just for those that missed it, it's obvious PB has Elex 2 planned, they got 150,000€ from the EU for it. I really can't wait until it comes out and I think PB did great with this game and this really shows that they just went through a rough patch with Risen 2 and 3 or Deep Silver was to blame (not hard to believe, they fucked up Volition and got 10% of the staff there fired with Agents of Mayhem.)

NotAGolfer

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Finally bought it. The reviews convinced me, especially all the whining about the difficulty and broken combat which make it sound like they finally found back their groove.

Gothic 1 and 2 were a perfect retard detector too, all the unmonocled peasants out there also thought that the combat in those games was "clunky", "unbalanced" and "outdated". When in reality it was fucking perfect and still is unmatched to this day.
So ... don't disappoint me again, Piranha Bytes.
Or else!
:deadhorse:

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom