Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

ELEX ELEX II - Jax is back

Peachcurl

Cipher
I don't think it's the amount of enemies in the end game. The main thing is a story telling issue. They don't know how to properly end their stories.

JDR13

Arcane
E2 is worse but not for those reasons. It's worse because the endgame is a horrendous slog. The entire last chapter is literally nothing but one combat encounter after another with purple aliens
Is this your first PB rodeo, little padawan?
Nope. I've finished every PB game except Gothic 3 which I still dumped 180 hours into. Elex 2 took the endgame slog to a new level.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
E2 is worse but not for those reasons. It's worse because the endgame is a horrendous slog. The entire last chapter is literally nothing but one combat encounter after another with purple aliens
Nope. I've finished every PB game except Gothic 3 which I still dumped 180 hours into. Elex 2 took the endgame slog to a new level.
No it didn't, both G1 and G2 endgames were worse.

The entire 2nd half of G3 was WAY worse but that game kindda doesn't count.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
G3 endgame is not bad IF you play as an mage.

Anyway, how is Alb in this game? And the performance in proton? I'm considering buying it.

JDR13

Arcane
No it didn't, both G1 and G2 endgames were worse.

The entire 2nd half of G3 was WAY worse but that game kindda doesn't count.
:what:

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
G3 endgame is not bad IF you play as an mage.

Anyway, how is Alb in this game?

They are more similar to what the Clerics were. As in, almost just a skin swap. They have the cool armor, are super duty bound, live in a mountain fortress, everything. Obviously they don't have the Alb world domination agenda anymore because there are the purple nurples to worry about and the Hybrid is just your friendly neighborhood scientist with no hard feelings.

Joining them - same as the others, except most of your companions get super pissed off if you do anything to help them. I tell them to stay at the Bastion when I report a successful mission to the Albs otherwise I get a X DOESN'T LIKE THAT AT ALL message and a WHAT THE FUCK WAS THAT ALL ABOUT when leaving conversation.

And the performance in proton?
Can't help you, I'm heterosexual.

I'm considering buying it.
So you haven't actually played it. Explains your hot takes ITT.

Get it only on a mega-sale.

Peachcurl

Cipher
It has come to my attention that no matter how retarded Codexers are, and what pieces of shit they defend, they will never be Reddit-retarded :lol:

View attachment 33928

>>I bought ELEX 2 thinking it was the first one.
>>ELEX 2
>>first one
There are people who believe Fallout 3 was the first, so it doesn't surprise me.
I mean... it's kinda fair to be at least sceptical, looking at some games like
  • Yakuza 0
  • I can't even begin to figure out the mess that is the numbering of the first few Final Fantasy entries.
  • Resident evil has also some strange variations in numbering (including a "zero" entry)
  • Mega Man Zero. Mega Man X. (I'm kidding, I know it's not the number 10)

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
It has come to my attention that no matter how retarded Codexers are, and what pieces of shit they defend, they will never be Reddit-retarded

View attachment 33928

>>I bought ELEX 2 thinking it was the first one.
>>ELEX 2
>>first one
There are people who believe Fallout 3 was the first, so it doesn't surprise me.
I mean... it's kinda fair to be at least sceptical, looking at some games like
  • Yakuza 0
  • I can't even begin to figure out the mess that is the numbering of the first few Final Fantasy entries.
  • Resident evil has also some strange variations in numbering (including a "zero" entry)
  • Mega Man Zero. Mega Man X. (I'm kidding, I know it's not the number 10)
Nah that's just straight up dumb as fuck.

I could (almost) forgive millennial losers for thinking Doom 2016 was "the original", because it's just called "Doom" and they can't remember a time before Facebergs, let alone the 90s.

But if there's a number in the name, there's no excuse.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Most prestigious solution is not bothering with numbers at all.

Like Tomb Raider and it's modern restart Tomb Raider. God of War being reimagined as God of War.

And the best of all, Lords of the Fallen followed by it's direct sequel Lords of the Fallen.

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
At this point it's better if PB fades away. I would put more faith in the Gothic remake being good than anything PB makes in the future.

I can't even begin to figure out the mess that is the numbering of the first few Final Fantasy entries.
West only got 1, 4 and 6 so they renamed 4 as 2 and 6 as 3. In retrospect it would be less confusing to add a subtitle, but marketing team probably suggested numbers. At least we didn't get the sheer insanity of Vega/Balrog/M.Bison becoming M.Bison/Vega/Balrog.

Yakuza 0 is a prequel to 1 as the name suggests, but it could be confused for a remaster or "ultimate" edition using "zero" because it's a cool word.

Last edited:

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Most prestigious solution is not bothering with numbers at all.

Like Tomb Raider and it's modern restart Tomb Raider. God of War being reimagined as God of War.

And the best of all, Lords of the Fallen followed by it's direct sequel Lords of the Fallen.
My favourite is Prince of Persia 7 aka Prince of Persia.

Baldanders

Novice
Ok, finally finished, did everything, join Zerkers, 62 hours in total.

As I suspected, all the reservations some of our prestigious residents voiced are a bunk. The game is in no way, shape or form dramatically different/worse than Elex 1. In fact the biggest problem for me was the feeling I'm playing the exact same PB game I've been playing for the last 15 years.

I've never thought I'd say this...but I think I'm getting tired of the PB formula. You have a few companions you can recruit or run around with, you can join a faction, get their armor, rise in their ranks. There are learning points and teachers and and a tedious, boring grindfest of an endgame. Twenty goddamn years of PB cooking different soups based on the same fucking recipe.

Elex 2 is just more of Elex 1. The combat is a bit different, you have parries and ripostes now instead of combos, and you can shove your sword in mobs' asses from behind for astronomical damage which I utilized liberally. You can float and swing your sword now too. I guess it was a bit better than E1 combat? Dunno. After becoming a souls-likes fiend PB combat doesn't impress me anymore.

Graphix, sound, music....everything felt a bit worse than the first game. As if PB themselves are bored with their shit too and simply don't give as many fucks anymore as they used to. So yeah, everything is a tiny bit uglier but it's not like Elex 1 could've won any art design awards in the first place.

The best thing about the game was the new jetpack, more specifically the fact you can now jet forward. It might even be one of my favourite features in any RPG ever. I'd fuck it and marry it if I could.

The writing and story is the PB standard - very German, very functional, something any of us could write with a little editorial help. But we don't play PB games for the story and writing, do we.

Eh...so I'm not sure imma buy whatever PB is cooking next. And I've always considered myself a hardcore PB fan. But the standard PB fare just doesn't cut it anymore.

I think Kingdom Come showed the future of this style of RPG - real writing with real characters and real quests and real crime system and real NPC routines. I didn't like the KCD combat and there are no factions there but everything else is just miles above PB now. Pankratz and company got stuck in the past and they seem to be fresh out of fucks to give about it.

Embracer should let Pankratz go pursue his rock star career fulltime and hand over the Gothic IP to Warhorse. That's the only way to save it.
I know where you're coming from but since I skipped the Risen games, I think I can tolerate one or two more elexes.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Yeah your AMAZEBALLS forward jetpack is irrelevant 80% of the time as the game has a great fast travel system (something PB actually does WELL) and the rest of the time you're on one of the 5773322664337 tour guide sim quests where you have to stay close to some slowass NPC.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
You could rush for it but you'll lose some quests from all sides which are the best thing game has to offer. Also Cleric and Alb magic effects are really horrendus and you'll go blind after using them a few times.
Also there are only 2 spells, ice bolt and blizzard. They also got chain lightning. Dunno what they were thinking but spells in first game are better even if they were only good as support.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom