Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Elemental: Fallen Enchantress Beta

Elisstar

Novice
I didn't have the chance to play for more than a hour, but it's a definite improvement over War of Magic. The game is actually fun enough to keep me for an hour, which is more than I can say for WoM. I'm still not certain that it will be on the same level as Master of Magic or Age of Wonders: Shadow Magic, but they are still fixing bugs and changing the content based on the beta feedback. There's some potential.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
As much as I want this to succeed I'm almost completely sure this won't be it either. The base game was just too flawed and the track record of the company is too heavily skewed towards making boring spreadsheet sims.

Seeing as how Paradox's take on MoM is going I'm not holding my breath for any worthy successor to that great classic. At least with dosbox and Kyrub's excellent fanpatch the old classic is still as good even better as ever.

Yeesh

Magister
Why does that game look so much like Civ V?
We're not used to Civ games with hexes yet. But I think we all welcome the change.

Though to be honest, back when I was young and playing Civ and then Civ II, I was really thinking that by now we'd have moved beyond squares or hexes or anything but a map with various units and effects just having radii. But fine what can you do?

kris

Arcane
I'm pretty starved for some strategy or good tycoon right now and I'm thinking about preordering this. I watched some gameplay videos and it actually doesn't look bad this time around. What is the state of beta right now? Worth spending money?

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Oh man. I had blissfully forgotten the huge dissapointment Elemental turned out to be :(

I guess i'll fire up ye old impulse and updatan for a beta (I was one of the suckers who preordered elementurd) sometime this week. In the meantime, I found a video LP of the current beta of fallen enchantress

First episode looks like he's just going over menus and shit (no sound on this computer), but there'a a bunch more with gameplay on the guys jewt00b channel.

Mortmal

Arcane
I think i have more fun with conquest of elysium 3 , i was wondering if its cause of me aging that i dont enjoy fallen enchantres as much than master of magic, but playing COE3 pinpoint exactly why. The problem is each factions are completely similar in elemental and fallen enchantress, the spells are exactly the same, the units the same,the same ressources, you get just slightly different textures. It has a 3D engine, requires better hardware and should be superior graphically , but yet i enjoy much more the 8 bits graphic style of coe , each unit is different, each has unique abiltiies, unique ressources to get and although its a few pixels everything is identifiable.Fallen enchantress is also far too balanced , if everyone has access to the same where the fun, i prefer some unblance , overpowered nations and units like dominion 3 or coe3 than that sterile boring balance.Fallen enchantress improves compared to elemental but its not nearly as addictive as it should be for a 4X game.

Elisstar

Novice
Oh man. I had blissfully forgotten the huge dissapointment Elemental turned out to be :(

I guess i'll fire up ye old impulse and updatan for a beta (I was one of the suckers who preordered elementurd) sometime this week. In the meantime, I found a video LP of the current beta of fallen enchantress

You have to go to Stardock's website to download the beta of FE. As far as I know it's not on Impulse yet.

I preordered War of Magic, too, and it was a massive disappointment for me. FE is shaping up much better, I think. If they take their time, this might be a good game.

Lyesmith

Liturgist
Seeing as how Paradox's take on MoM is going I'm not holding my breath for any worthy successor to that great classic.

Why does that game look so much like Civ V?

It even looks like a mod to CivV. Maybe that is even the marketing trick or are they using the same engine. It is not just the hexes, the armies is built up in the same way, there is no stacking, so the whole foundation is very CivV.
It's tweaked Fantasy Wars engine, it seems, as Ino-co is developer. Still, it irresistibly resembles Civ V.

Dim

Not sure if advertising plant?
" But really the problem is that the math is very very simple. A unit has 4 stats that define everything. In tactical combat there's nothing to think about at all. This problem wont be fixed by the extensive in game modding tools. " - my review of EWoM
Tactical combat was the worst part. Was it fixed?
Diplomacy was the best element and it got nerfed? Is someone at Stardock trying to drive the company stock down?

Aeschylus

Swindler
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
I recently took this beta for a whirl -- yes, I was one of the unfortunate suckers who pre-ordered Elemental based on Stardock's previously sterling record -- and it's actually not that terrible. I think the reason it resembles Civilization is because they brought in the lead designer of Beyond the Sword to head the project. The interface in general is better and a bit less impenetrable, but it still suffers from the fundamental problem of being built on top of an entirely broken game. Still, it's free so I suppose I will give it a try when the full game is released.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Argh. I really want to check this out so I opened up an unopened copy from a friend and installed it, but apparently you only get beta access if you registered it in 2011 or earlier. And I'm sure as fuck not going to shell out 40$ just to try the beta. I still want my money back for SoaSE.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Was screwing around in War of Magic instead... why does it keep auto resolving shit without asking me? This is infuriating.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
I gave the beta a quick whirl yesterday. Basically jus tthe tutorial and a few dozen turns before realizing we had switched to daylight saving time and I better get my ass to bed. Initial impressions were quite good.

They implemented a standard tech tree a la civilization. The interface in general felt less impenetrable. There were spells other than summons that felt worthwhile to cast. Soverign/Champion gain traits on level up. Most traits are standard +dex, +str, +con etc but there were a few quirky rares here and there. Champions who are defeated in combat teleport to a nearby city, but gain a permanent negative trait every time. The tactical combat UI is pretty good now. Not sure how the game will hold up in a longer playthrough but I'll certainly give it a chance.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
See the list of walkthrough videos on youtube that were posted way ba-- ON THE SAME FUCKING PAGE AS THIS ONE, A FEW POSTS UP YOU LAZY FUCK

Dim

Not sure if advertising plant?
Spend 15 min watching replay or have someone who knows just type 20 characters. Shut the fuck up YOU retard.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Dim
Stats are:

Initiative, movespeed, turning speed, strength, accuracy, attack accuracy, critical chance, critical modifier, star sign, mana, mana regen, mana burn, mana turnabout, mana refficiency, hit points, hit point regen, peppermint, political party, corruption, flanking modifier and shoe.

'cause I'm totally gonna bother giving a newfag a serious response after he calls me a retard.

SerratedBiz

Arcane
Gentlemen, this is Strategy Gaming and not GRPGD. Please leave your barbaric ways by the door.

sser

Arcane
Developer
I think this game looks really improved after watching some videos. I'm thinking of ordering it and jumping into the beta, is it still going? And when the hell is this title coming out anyway? Can't find a release date anywhere and their site isn't loading for me right now.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
Release date: When it's done™

Stardock can't afford another War of Magic style fuckup, so they're not releasing Fallen Enchantress until they're sure it's good.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom