Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Footage

The Wizard

Educated
music was shit. how many times do they want to remix nerevar rising?

Dantus12

Educated
This reminded me of Morrowind's soundtrack, just redone and with vocals.

What years of shitty games can do to someone.

A very interesting class demonstration. Looks like classes are intact, still confusing with the Dragon's.

Looked great, maybe I got low standards, or I'm not that angry anymore.

Maybe they learn something on quest lines from Obsidian.

dragonfk

Erudite
The trailer was nothing exceptional, but it wasn't bad either. Graphics are fine, I hope that at least they'll optimize it. Even though that Oblivion wasn't so hot looking it was a system hog. I liked the chorus. And that's all. Everyone who levels the game with ground after seeing the trailer have at the least minor mental problems as far as Bethesda goes.

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
Dantus12 said:
Maybe they learn something on quest lines from Obsidian.

This. Even a mild ruboff effect of this type can be a huge boost in a sandbox game.

That's really all I want. Give me consistency, filter out the dumbing down as much as possible, and add in some sugar for taste. We know it's going to be a relatively large world, just make it worth exploring!

FFS!

racofer said:
It looks exactly like Oblivion only with a bunch of fancy post processing applied into it and head bobbing.

The "learn more" description under the video is also awfully similar.

The truth dawns in fire said:
]The High King of Skyrim has been murdered. In the midst of this conflict, a far more dangerous, ancient evil is awakened

Would it be too much work not to make it sound like someone just swapped "Emperor" for "King of Skyrim"?

Relay

Educated
It won't be a great RPG, but it could make for a decent actiony game. Probably a lot more than Derp Ages and the setting will actually be fun this time.

Even though that Oblivion wasn't so hot looking it was a system hog.

A system hog ? You want a true hog, you should have played the witcher in its original release state. Oblivion ran perfectly fine on most systems. The loading times of the witcher made it absolutely unplayable for me on release and I didn't like the game enough to play it again with the newer patches.

Hell people modded Oblivion to get it running on a motherfucking Geforce 3. That's like, antediluvian, man.
http://oldblivion.com/?page=screenshots

Crispy said:
How one can look at that trailer and not be impressed is somewhat mystifying to me, but there's no accounting for taste.

It's a standard epic fantasy game trailer, what's there to be impressed by? The fucking dragons?
It's not a bad looking trailer, but trailers never usually look bad, even when the game is shit. Plus, it's Bethesda. Don't tell me being impressed by the very first trailer from the new Bethesda game isn't a premature thing to do.

denizsi

Arcane
Player character turns to the Dragon and commands the great power of teeh Dovahkiin! - DE DRAGON-MOTHERFUCKING-BORN!!1- with his voice!

HERP DERP DERP!!!!

R00fles!

That was immensely retarded.

Matt7895 said:
The music was excellent.

Kill yourself.

NOW.

Clockwork Knight said:
racofer said:
It looks exactly like Oblivion only with a bunch of fancy post processing applied into it and head bobbing.

The "learn more" description under the video is also awfully similar.

The truth dawns in fire said:
]The High King of Skyrim has been murdered. In the midst of this conflict, a far more dangerous, ancient evil is awakened

Would it be too much work not to make it sound like someone just swapped "Emperor" for "King of Skyrim"?

Dear... Barenziah!

Can they ever do anything good without having to save the whole motherfucking world?

I'm actually angry at myself that I'm still capable of getting butthurt over TES being raped further. When will I learn to stop caring, dammit? Fucking Bethesda.

Gord said:
Anyway, doesn't look to bad. Seriously guys, what are you expecting.
It has the typical Beth looks, of course, guess if you don't like that, well...

When you know (well, I know, along with some others) that the game will be shit anyway, you kinda hope that it will at least look good. This, doesn't look bad but it does look dated.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
denizsi said:
Player character turns to the Dragon and commands the great power of teeh Dovahkiin! - DE DRAGON-MOTHERFUCKING-BORN!!1- with his voice!

HERP DERP DERP!!!!

R00fles!

That was immensely retarded.

Matt7895 said:
The music was excellent.

Kill yourself.

NOW.

Butthurt detected.

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
Multidirectional said:
Don't tell me being impressed by the very first trailer from the new Bethesda game isn't a premature thing to do.

I think if you qualify it the way I did it's not premature at all.

I taste the quality of the steak, I don't listen to the sound of the sizzle. What I see in there that's digestable is the actual in-game footage. It looks a bit stiff, but it does look better. The models, while very similar to those before, do look better to me. The animation looks better (check out that wolf). The graphics are prettier, IMO.

Are these all hand-picked to illicit this response? Sure. Are facts still facts, though? You betcha.

I'm absolutely certain Skyrim is going to disappoint me in some manner. But I'm still seeing enough here so far to not give up on it like I think I have for DA2 (despite my prior claims to plan on buying it). My actual perception of the product makes that determination, not my projecting of past hatred onto it.

Captain_Obvious

Scholar
It doesn't look bad, it just looks ''yet another actiony game yawnnnn''. But if you expect the game itself to look anything like that, you`re a gullible american consumerist sheeple.
Also, stop the lies, Crispy. At release, before all the GBs of mods, Oblivions performance and optimisation was poor for many systems, even up to date ones, the graphics were atrocious for most part, especially outside the cities, and bugs were plenty (YouTube is full of little funny examples). Or did you just read the 10/10 reviews that somehow missed all of those problems, along with the rest of the glaring flaws?

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
Captain_Obvious said:
Also, stop the lies, Crispy.

I'm not sure what you're talking about. I've been giving my opinion on this latest Skyrim trailer, not Oblivion. If you want my opinion on that instead, start a new thread about it in GRPG or send me a PM.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
Luzur said:
wake me up when Skyway posts his review.
Wake up!
MetalCraze said:
Banal. Shit. Boring.
Video doesn't look half bad actually. Which of course means nothing considering Beth's track record when it comes to propaganda. I'm still looking forward to playing Rimjob in about 2 years once modders have fixed what they can.

Lockkaliber

Magister
Patron
Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Not that I care about graphics, but I can't let people ITT claim it's good. Dat fucking water man, dat fucking water. Christ, water in NWN 2 looked better then that.

As for the rest of it, it tells me nothing. If the game is level scaled and the writing is as bad as before, count me out. Also, twitch-combat lawl.

ortucis

Prophet
I don't know why but I am more excited about Skyrim over DA2. Maybe it's because I enjoyed Oblivion up until level scaling ruined the game for me (I didn't know about it but I re-installed game 20 times at least to get a perfect character not realising that it was a waste of time thanks to scaling.. I finished the game only once). But I enjoyed Fallout 3 and they fixed scaling there so I still have hope.

Anyways, trailer looks good. I have to agree with others that this looks similar to Oblivion. Infact, the blurry textures on a snowy terrain now REALLY stick out more than ever. Hell, even Modern Warfare 2 and Bad Company 2 has snowy levels that look ten times better than what was shown in the trailer.

But oooh look, cities. I love exploring cities/towns in RPG's. So that is looking good.

:love:

Shannow

Waster of Time
Crispy said:
It looks pretty damned amazing to me. Honestly, trying to look at it as objectively as possible, the actual in-game animations of the character look a little stiff, very reminiscent of Oblivion of course, but otherwise a good advancement in the tech. Impressive looking environments, detailed shadows, water looks better this time.
Looks fine to me, too. Though the water looks like shit. Never having played Oblivion, I can't judge if it "looks better". Didn't like the dragon either. Especially in flight it elicited more "meh" than "ahh".
Man fighting dragon (and winning), dragon shouts and the whole "thou art the chosen one" the suits seem to believe the kids want to make up for their low self-esteem are shit though. Otherwise it looked nice. Call me when there's a total conversion that cuts out the "chosen one" shit.

(Actually, I don't even mind "the chosen one" shtik so much, but I hate the "you're super special" shit that usually goes with it. They might as well cal me a retard to my face. Fucking, retarded Toddlers and Whores.)

Crusoe

Novice
Multidirectional said:
It's a standard epic fantasy game trailer, what's there to be impressed by?
Have you not seen the "this is the new shit" DA trailer?

ortucis

Prophet
Shannow said:
(Actually, I don't even mind "the chosen one" shtik so much, but I hate the "you're super special" shit that usually goes with it. They might as well cal me a retard to my face. Fucking, retarded Toddlers and Whores.)

You should stick to playing Microsoft Flight simulator if you don't want to save the world single handedly.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Genma:TheDestroyer said:
I prefer any TES game over DA2 after that horrible demo. At least they're moddable.

No amount of mods on earth can ever ever fix the shitty design of these games however.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Holy shit. They took the Morrowind theme and transformed it into a Rhapsody song...

...at least it's the first time a Rhapsody song has a watchable accompanying video :smug:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom