Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Elder Scrolls 4: Oblivion official

littleboy

Liturgist
somehow i suspect this won't make it to my xbox

Stark

Liturgist
took a look at the screen shots. I bet both Obsidian (NWN2) and Bioware (DA) are watching closely and scrambling to discuss how to bring their art up to par to BethSoft's level. After all they're competitors in the similar market, and most buyers look at screen shots at the back of the box before deciding.

A tall task to meet, I would say.

Spazmo

Erudite
BioWare never bothered to bring NWN up to par with Morrowind. I don't see why they'd stary playing catchup now.

Fez

Erudite
A scramble to change the engine or upgrade the graphics could risk crippling a project, a silly risk when they now have established franchises too. They'll probably just get them looking as good as they planned to, without trying to "one-up" the competition.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"BioWare never bothered to bring NWN up to par with Morrowind."

Youa re right. It was better. Then again, anything is better than the shit brown crap that was apssed for rgaphics in MW. I'd take Dragon Warrior or POR1's graphics over MW's any day of the week.

At least by what little we've seen, at least ES4 will have vastly improve graphics. of course it'll still be the same shitty game style.

taks

Liturgist
i wonder what kind of GPU they're running these shots with... are they pumping out 1 frame per second? i'd guess the bio folk don't care what MW is going to be like since it will be out ahead of them... they've got two years to finish up the details with their engine (unless they march down the same road as NWN with multiple engine changes...)

taks

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
NPC's follow schedules, go to work, to bed, have romances, families, lives, do chores, go for walks, go for adventures, visit family in other towns, Etc. For instance, a Farmer will go to his fields during the day to plow his grain, may take a lunch break, and go home at night to his wife where they go to sleep.
A few games have already had that, e.g. Gothic 2 (not counting Ultima 7 :)). It's good this will be a feature of TESIV, but I feel that it's not something they should be too much proud of, as it should have already been present in Morrowind.
The graphics are just stunning. I wonder if the game&editor will use the same plugin system as MW did. I really liked MW's editor (I somehow grasped the a bit awkward dialogue and quest handling right from the start), so I have high hopes for TESIV's.

plin

Liturgist
Volourn said:
"BioWare never bothered to bring NWN up to par with Morrowind."

Youa re right. It was better. Then again, anything is better than the shit brown crap that was apssed for rgaphics in MW. I'd take Dragon Warrior or POR1's graphics over MW's any day of the week.

At least by what little we've seen, at least ES4 will have vastly improve graphics. of course it'll still be the same shitty game style.

MW's graphics were outstanding you fucking moron. Especially for it's time. The only problems were the character models and their skins.

Pull your head out of your ass.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"MW's graphics were outstanding you fucking moron."

Hahaha. is that the best insult you got for me? That already labels you a loser.

MW had awful grahics. It was brown. Shit brown. even the water was brown.. unless you are saying the water in MW was MEANT to be undrinkable under threat of poisoning? Hahaha.

MW graphics were shit brown, bland, and had absoluetly no character. Once again, I'll take Dragon Warrio or POR1's graphics over it. Maybe even Megamania graphics 'cause at least it didn't make me want to gag. Pure awfulness. Worst. Graphics. Ever.

Now, make your cumback; but remember to wipe the froth off your mouth afterwards.

P.S. Who are you?

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
Volourn said:
Now, make your cumback; but remember to wipe the froth off your mouth afterwards.

If he's making a cumback, its not froth he has to clean off his mouth.

Ok, I'll stop now.

Incidently, Morrowind's graphics were not great. The models had stiff animations, and the textures were mostly drab.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"Why do you lie?"

I have no need to lie about this issue. The facts don't effect me either way.

"The water was blue."

The 'water' was most assuredly brown. if it was blue; it surely was the ugliiest, shittiest version of the colour blue I *have* ever seen.

"Are you colour blind?"

No. I just know what the colour brown looks like. You apaprantly don't.

"If he's making a cumback, its not froth he has to clean off his mouth."

Maybe. Maybe not.

Whipporowill

Erudite
The water was wholly dependant of what kind of gen of graph card you were using, so it's totally possible that you experienced differences. I think MW required at least a GF3 to show the mirroring rippling water, otherwise it was more of a transparant puddle.

So guys. Shut up already - I can see this conversation going for too long otherwise. :lol:

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Elwro said:
A few games have already had that, e.g. Gothic 2 (not counting Ultima 7 :)). It's good this will be a feature of TESIV, but I feel that it's not something they should be too much proud of, as it should have already been present in Morrowind.

Prelude to Darkness and Teudogar and the Alliance with Rome also had it. They're shareware CRPGs, no less.

Stark

Liturgist
Spazmo said:
BioWare never bothered to bring NWN up to par with Morrowind. I don't see why they'd stary playing catchup now.

well, NWN was already in late stage of development then, but both NWN2 and DA are currently at early stages of dev right now so a drastic change to bring it up to par (or at least do not look too shoddy when put side by side) is not something out of question, I think.

the way they're pushing the latest graphics is gonna kill off alot of smaller developers with smaller budgets. Just how can small time developers like Troika hope to produce quality graphics like BethSoft (short of using other people's engine)?

Stark

Liturgist
I have 64mb GeForce 2 MX. The water was blue. Whatever.

If it helps, mine was blue too.

MW's graphics was certainly good (when it came out). It was the dubious choice of color (brown, brown, brown) that put alot of people off. I don't understand why they went that way. It kinda depress me running around a brown world.

things improve alot once i applied some of the visual improvement mods from the community. but it did nothing for the static NPC and dull conversation though.

The Gothic series is underrated. It has vast, expensive world with no lag running around. (someone commented that they did not load the entire area at once, but the loading is done behind the scene which is why it seem no loading is involved) but more importantly there's more variety of color. That alone beats MW hands down.

It has interesting quests that make sense within the context of the world, NPC schedule and simple but elegant skill tree progression. unfortunately i do not recall many multi-path solution method to quests.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
You are a prisoner and the Emperor is escaping the Imperial Palace after an escape attempt. The escape tunnel runs through your cell[/quote]
  1. What the hell kind of escape tunnel runs through someone elses cell?
  2. You were a prisoner in Morrowind, is this a Bethesda thing? "You are a prisoner..." expand from there?
It's smaller. You mean people got bored of wandering around and visiting the same temples and tombs over and over again?

Spazmo

Erudite
That's kinda fucked. You can choose to play as like ULTIMATE PALADIN OF LIGHT or whatever in these games but you're a freakin' ex-con.

Limorkil

Liturgist
Lemon said:
Arena began with your escape from a dungeon cell

Arena : You start in a cell and must escape a dungeon
Daggerfall : You are shipwrecked and end up in a sea cave, and must escape a dungeon
Morrowind : You are a prisoner, but they release you from a prison ship on Morrowind
Oblivion : You start in a cell and I dare say you have to escape a dungeon, again

I think the idea is to be so unbelievably unoriginal that all the fanboys go "It's intentional. It's a theme. Really."

And the water in Morrowind was and is very blue.
The landscape was made up of browns and greens, with black and grey for the volcanic areas. People complained about it, but frankly it looked like your typical land. I guess the kids prefer Anime/Final Fantasy/Kiddy book style landscapes.
You can actually download different textures and colors for MW now. Although they add color, the world looks a lot less realistic. And I don't mean realistic as in "like earth" I mean realistic as in Peter Jackson's LoTR landscapes compared to cheesy 1960s Star Trek landscapes.

Linedog

Novice
Limorkil said:
Lemon said:
Arena began with your escape from a dungeon cell

Arena : You start in a cell and must escape a dungeon
Daggerfall : You are shipwrecked and end up in a sea cave, and must escape a dungeon
Morrowind : You are a prisoner, but they release you from a prison ship on Morrowind
Oblivion : You start in a cell and I dare say you have to escape a dungeon, again

You think the devs are trying to hint something about the working conditions over there at Bethesda ?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom