Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Elden Ring - From Software's new game with writing by GRRM

Brickfrog

Learned
I respecced from a faith/strength build into a moonveil blade sorcerer for late game content to see how sorcery plays. Turns out it's good and fun guys.

Moonveil blade weapon art is gonna get nerfed soon and hard so get it while the gettin' is good.

Brickfrog

Learned
People are saying the L2-R2 is over scaling on int due to a bug. I'm not gonna bother linking because as far as I'm concerned that's conjecture for now. What I know for sure is that it is hitting hard as fuck on my 70 int character. The Mana consumption/speed/damage ratio is absurd.

Brickfrog

Learned
Just did a very quick test out of curiosity on the undead near the agheel lake north grace. 1418 damage for 20 FP. The entire animation from sheathing to unsheathing seems to take about 1.5 seconds (not autistic enough to measure precisely). Tested using a 70 int character with a +10 moonveil blade.

I don't know if there is a bug involved but in my professional opinion that shit is getting nerfed.

thelegend

Learned
The exploration in Elden Ring is apparently more meaningful.. they tell me. But you never find anything other than shit to fight, I don't know why I should even fight them half the time, since it seems like they don't matter in my quest for the Elden Ring and it's not like there are people around being affected either. The dungeons are template copy pastes, it's like the chalice dungeons but somehow worse, they are not unique (unique only in layout) and very short and disappointing. Every zone seems to have set amount of these cave dungeons, a large dungeon akin to quarter level in a previous game and some large monster. Sure the monsters and env. are unique but there are no stories so all I'm getting are more shit to hit. This is ubisoft crap just left unmarked.

Not to mention everything beyond the beaten path has jack all to find, it's just grass and trees when you go off the beaten path and large amounts of empty, truly empty space. Compare this to Dragon's Dogma or Breath of the Wild, you really did not know what you were gonna get interms of content. Yes, admittedly Breath of the Wild does not have the staggering enemy variety of Elden Ring, but I need more in my openworld than different looking things to hit.

Honestly Elden Ring to me fails in translating the From Software formula to open world, they just made Dark Souls again but diluted and padded.

I haven't even touched on the quest design, Breath of the Wild makes you curious with the lightest hints of what is, it had quests where the npcs discussing old legends and you finding the very source of it, all without guidance. It contexualized the world, made sense. It was truly the only other open world game that had the spirit of Gothic & Morrowind where the openworlds were more than just set dressing. And despite the ratings and praise.. Elden Ring ain't it.
https://gamestoday.info/gamingnews/...-better-dragons-dogma-breath-of-the-wild-are/

Brickfrog

Learned
The exploration in Elden Ring is apparently more meaningful.. they tell me. But you never find anything other than shit to fight, I don't know why I should even fight them half the time, since it seems like they don't matter in my quest for the Elden Ring and it's not like there are people around being affected either. The dungeons are template copy pastes, it's like the chalice dungeons but somehow worse, they are not unique (unique only in layout) and very short and disappointing. Every zone seems to have set amount of these cave dungeons, a large dungeon akin to quarter level in a previous game and some large monster. Sure the monsters and env. are unique but there are no stories so all I'm getting are more shit to hit. This is ubisoft crap just left unmarked.

Not to mention everything beyond the beaten path has jack all to find, it's just grass and trees when you go off the beaten path and large amounts of empty, truly empty space. Compare this to Dragon's Dogma or Breath of the Wild, you really did not know what you were gonna get interms of content. Yes, admittedly Breath of the Wild does not have the staggering enemy variety of Elden Ring, but I need more in my openworld than different looking things to hit.

Honestly Elden Ring to me fails in translating the From Software formula to open world, they just made Dark Souls again but diluted and padded.

I haven't even touched on the quest design, Breath of the Wild makes you curious with the lightest hints of what is, it had quests where the npcs discussing old legends and you finding the very source of it, all without guidance. It contexualized the world, made sense. It was truly the only other open world game that had the spirit of Gothic & Morrowind where the openworlds were more than just set dressing. And despite the ratings and praise.. Elden Ring ain't it.
https://gamestoday.info/gamingnews/...-better-dragons-dogma-breath-of-the-wild-are/
Check the author for a laugh

perfectslumbers

Arbiter
One interesting thing about Elden Ring is that all my friends who are normie soulsborne fans (not autists like us,) have also been complaining about the enemy design. In the first week of release I had about 5 people texting me to complain about bosses and enemies at any given moment. I find it interesting cuz they all ate the same thing up when it happened in DS3.

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
I disagree with this in parts. I agree that DS2 still tries and gives some very good dungeon crawling sense (which I think was severely lost in DS3), but I think Elden Ring found this again. Even if Catacombs, Caves and Mines are small, they still give some tension, but if we speak about the game in general, it's like huge dungeon crawler, one which you can approach in every way you like, and one which the Legacy Dungeons give an extremely satisfying crawling experience.

From what I've played thus far, I disagree. The copypaste dunegons are just copypaste, and all of the real ones I've seen have been very vanilla. I'm eager to be proven wrong and served a level as good as Blighttown, but I'm not holding my breath. Not even sure how well you could do Blighttown in ER, given how extreme the mechanics are.

I agree completely about Maneaters being an excellent fight using a limited moveset. Then again, this doesn't help DS2 case. We have bosses with very limited movesets and fights that don't use the environment in such a elegant manner the way Demon's did you Tower of Latria and Maneaters. In DS2, you have fights like the Giant that I mentioned, which sincerely is a joke. And then you have really awful stuff like Dragonriders, The Giant Frog from Shrine of Amana whose entirely moveset consists in hugging you or getting up and stomping you, and so on. The DLCs bring some needed variety to this, with great fights like Fume, Alonne, Sihn, Aava, but comparing with other vanilla souls experiences, DS2 is really barebones in this department.

True. I wasn't really defending DS2 boss design with that comparison, but rather explaining what I meant by calling DS2 a better dungeon crawler. And DS2 as a whole, absolutely has better enemy placement in its levels than DS3, and the levels in general have much more of a gameplay identity, be it good or bad. To use an extreme example, nothing in DS3 (and I expect, ER) approaches the uniqueness of Shrine of Amana or the foggy area in Shaded Woods.

I would like to point out though, that due to differences in the combat system, DS2 bosses can't be complicated in the same way as DS3 ones are. Fume Knight would be a forgettable boss with DS3's stamina mechanics, whereas something like Friede would be really dumb in DS2. I sometimes wonder whether it's the mechanics changes forcing From to design increasingly complex and extreme bosses, or if they want bosses like that, and adjust the mechanics to match.

his one I disagree completely. For my non professional tastes, Raya Lucaria is probably one of the best levels I've ever played in a 3d game, and probably the best in the souls series (or at least on top of the game, with things like Tower of Latria being close). For much as Eleum Loyce brings a very fresh experience and a great, intricate level design that DS2 didn't have before, I think it's even unfair to compare it with Raya, not to mention Bastille.

Really? Castle Stormveil I'd understand, that's a very good level. But Raya Lucaria would be middle of the pack even in DS3. The first part is banal shit boring, with groups of ineffectual enemies; only fun thing there is the elevator wheel and the iron maiden that sends you to Volcano Manor. The second part connects together in cool ways, but the pinnacle of encounter design there is a group of mages spamming the same ranged attack rapidly. It does get props for having some cool secrets and looking good, but I honestly don't think it's even better than any DeS world except for Stonefang Tunnel.

Like, I'm happy to try and convince you of Lost Bastille's superiority, as that area is criminally underrated, but if you really think so highly of Raya Lucaria, I suspect you're valuing the shiny graphics and ambience too much. There's no way it's even in the top 10 Souls levels, and probably not in the top 20 either.

Shrimp

Arbiter
One interesting thing about Elden Ring is that all my friends who are normie soulsborne fans (not autists like us,) have also been complaining about the enemy design. In the first week of release I had about 5 people texting me to complain about bosses and enemies at any given moment. I find it interesting cuz they all ate the same thing up when it happened in DS3.
Any examples? Are they complaining about the appearance of the enemies, their movesets or the fact that a lot of them get reused at various points in the game?

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
People will be shitting on Elden ring enemies/bosses design until they find the reliable way of killing each one. Classic in the series. That said, the main bosses in this game have some ridiculously strong attacks in their moveset, for better or worse (Margit three-hit combo that clips you while rolling, Godrick hurricanes, Radhan AOE magnet). Reminds me the design of bosses from the Nioh series. In all the rest of the souls series, from Demon's to DS3, you can learn and dodge every single enemy attack in a reliable way. It doesn't feels the same in Elden ring (For now), and that's the issue some people is having.

perfectslumbers

Arbiter
Any examples? Are they complaining about the appearance of the enemies, their movesets or the fact that a lot of them get reused at various points in the game?
They're mostly complaining about their fast and aggressive movesets, particularly Melania. Also Radahn which took one of my friends over 50 tries until he bugged out.

Curratum

Am I playing this all wrong? I kept seeing posts about a Crucible Knight boss, and now I just whacked some tin can in Nokron and he dropped a crucible horned shield, but I've never seen the boss and this guy didn't have a name or a big healthbar...

perfectslumbers

Arbiter
I kept seeing posts about a Crucible Knight boss
They're all optional. There's one in the evergaol in Stormhill early on. And a duo of them in a hero's grave in the capital outskirts. The one in the evergaol is one of the hardest early game enemies so he's become quite infamous.

Shrimp

Arbiter
Am I playing this all wrong? I kept seeing posts about a Crucible Knight boss, and now I just whacked some tin can in Nokron and he dropped a crucible horned shield, but I've never seen the boss and this guy didn't have a name or a big healthbar...
There's a Crucible Knight in one of those evergoals located somewhere in Limgrave, sounds like you missed that one.
They also appear in a couple of locations in the overworld, they're basically Elden Ring's equivalent of DS1's black knights.

Shrimp

Arbiter
They also appear in a couple of locations in the overworld, they're basically Elden Ring's equivalent of DS1's black knights.
Typing this actually made me realise this is a really good example of how different DS1 and DS3/ER enemy design and move patterns are.
Both of them serve the same purpose of being knight type enemies you run into in a handful of places. Both of them are typically far stronger than the other regular monsters in that area and both of them often have unique (or at least different) fighting styles through the use of different weapons or in the case of the crucible knights, incantations.
The big difference though is that whereas the black knights only have like 3 or 4 attacks which, if memory serves me right, just are the regular movesets of the weapon they're using, the crucible knights probably have more attack moves than several bosses in DS1.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
So i did Margaret the fell down.

At SL21 took a bit, but eventually i figured out (no ashes or summons of course). He kept taunting me after i killed him what a bitch sore loser.

Shrimp

Arbiter
They're mostly complaining about their fast and aggressive movesets, particularly Melania. Also Radahn which took one of my friends over 50 tries until he bugged out.
As expected, honestly. It's already been mentioned multiple times throughout the thread every time a poster has reached him, but I think especially Radahn will be one of the more controversial encounters for many years to come. Seems like people either love him because of the spectacle or hate him because of the elements present in the fight.
I wonder if Elden Ring will end up being the turning point for where people grow tired of playing against Bloodborne and Sekiro reject bosses while still being limited by the old DS movement. Regardless of how you feel about the game it's no secret that DS2 very often is seen as the black sheep of the franchise, and a lot of the things people disliked about the game's bosses and approach to difficulty are elements also found within Elden Ring. I'm curious to see how people will be feeling about the ER bosses somewhere down the line. The game's still new so the majority of the players haven't even reached fights like Radahn or just about everything past Leyndell.

Nathir

Liturgist
I just downed Radahn today. Took me a while, definitely the hardest boss so far. The idea is nice, but the execution is bad. I couldn't see shit because he is so big. And he keeps running around on the horse so my attacks miss. Has some very hard to dodge attacks in second phase that instagib you. Very frustrating fight. I feel like you can cheese him with summons, but it would probably take a while. His design is also a little weird. With the tiny legs and huge chest, and the small horse. Almost comical in a way.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik

Malenia is a special kind of bullshit.

Echo Mirage

Arcane
What exactly is the logic behind summons? In some areas you can summon the wolves for instance. In others you can't summon anything, but you are never told why. In some caves you can. In some you can't. At this point I can never use them when I need them so I barely even touch them anymore.

Ivan

Arcane
It is staggering just how much optional content there is. I was getting smoked by what I presume is the final boss, decided to tie up some loose ends, and opened up ANOTHER chunk of the map to explore. God damn.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
What exactly is the logic behind summons? In some areas you can summon the wolves for instance. In others you can't summon anything, but you are never told why. In some caves you can. In some you can't. At this point I can never use them when I need them so I barely even touch them anymore.

depends on how much FP you have but the best tear in the game doesn't require FP
wolfs takes something like 62 FP (!?)
other summons require more FP

the logic is that the areas where summon is available are areas designed for co-op (usually bosses and gank-areas)
of course you can finish the game without summons

Mortmal

Arcane
Best summon is the mimic costing 600 hp, no fp , to summon.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom