Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Elden Ring - From Software's new game with writing by GRRM

Odoryuk

Educated
If anything, their clumsy attempts to "explain" multiplayer features with some dumb "parallel universes are colliding"
That's one of the main reasons I fell in love with Dark Souls 1. Felt the same in the final boss's arena in Elden Ring. Oh, and also when I looked closely at pillars in Hunter's Dream.

Skinwalker

*teleports into you*
Patron
Village Idiot
If anything, their clumsy attempts to "explain" multiplayer features with some dumb "parallel universes are colliding"
That's one of the main reasons I fell in love with Dark Souls 1. Felt the same in the final boss's arena in Elden Ring.
That's a shame. Multiverse theory is the worst literary device ever used, and stuff like multiplayer and respawning need zero explanation or acknowledgment from the game's characters. It never makes any sense, anyway.

Stoned Ape

Savant
So, I spent quite a while grinding the Kaiden camp for runes and got myself to 40th level so I had 30 Vigour at that point.

After that found the Bloodhound Knight and summoned Blaidd to help kill him, took me two tries. He dropped a nice DEX based greatsword and now I'm slightly regretting only putting a few points there.

Went back to the castle and fought the Banished Knight Halberdier I was stuck at, killed him first time. Kept going past some angry bird bombs and reached another banished Knight with sword and shield, killed him first time (he seemed much weaker than the first one I fought) and pretty soon after another halberdier (who again seemed really weak compared to the first one and died easily). Killed some Grafted thing that originally appeared in the intro then broke through an ambush and killed a fat guy and his skinny dog, then some more annoying angry birds (this time without bombs) before meeting a barbarian hero girl and having her offer to fight Godrick with me. Sprinted past a giant on some stairs and found a lost grace just before the boss fight.

Summoned the barbarian girl, then went in and immediately summoned the Jellyfish as soon as the cutscene ended. My summons basically kept 90% of his aggro through the entire fight and I backstabbed him a few times. When he did notice me I lost a great deal of health but because I could run off and use my flasks while the other 2 took his attention away it didn't feel impossible to deal with.

He died first time and I still had around half my health left.

I don't get the difficulty of this game, the only thing I've done is increase my health pool by around 30% or so but it seems to have made a huge difference to how hard it is. Have I over levelled my characteror something?

Odoryuk

Educated
I don't get the difficulty of this game, the only thing I've done is increase my health pool by around 30% or so but it seems to have made a huge difference to how hard it is. Have I over levelled my characteror something?
40 SL is slightly higher than I'm used to when dealing with Stormveil Castle, but that shouldn't matter that much, as long as you had fun in the process. Intentionally limiting yourself is not a good choice when you're new to the games. You're not getting oneshotted anymore, so it's a good thing, because it will be less frustrating to play. Still, you will encounter more dangerous enemies later in the game, so it won't be a cakewalk for a long time.

Odoryuk

Educated
When interacting with Soulsborne players it is vital to learn how to ignore the type of players who want to artificially inflate the perceived size of their genitalia by forcing others to play the games "the right way".
But it is a good idea to learn the boss moves first before summoning help, and using help only when you actually struggle and need help.

Bloodeyes

Arcane

Nah. The early game just isn't that difficult. Neither is the mid game TBH. It gets pretty bullshit hard at the endgame bosses but even they can be trivialized with summons and certain spells/ashes of war. As far as using summons and stuff do it if you find it fun.

If you use the tools the developers gave you the game isn't hard. If you artificially restrict yourself to make it hard then it is. But if you want to make it hard you'll have to ban yourself from a lot more than just spirit summons. Its pretty difficult not to get OP in Elden Ring if you have played an RPG before and can learn to operate a very basic character system.

H. P. Lovecraft's Cat

SumDrunkCat
When interacting with Soulsborne players it is vital to learn how to ignore the type of players who want to artificially inflate the perceived size of their genitalia by forcing others to play the games "the right way".
But it is a good idea to learn the boss moves first before summoning help, and using help only when you actually struggle and need help.
It's not a pissing contest. Playing the earlier games will make him stronger. Quit trying to turn him into a bitch by encouraging him to cheese shit you worthless fag.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
"The game is breathtakingly pretty as a picture, just about any random location looks like a desktop wallpaper material, and the amount of talent, vision and effort into this world is jaw-dropping."

Lmao, this game is so incredibly butt ugly that's hilarious to watch brainless normies convince themselves it's a visual masterpiece because their programming tells them to.

Elden Ring is like a Rembrandt when compared to a shit little kid's drawing when put next to a Bethesturd game.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam

Terrible advice.

Beating the game without mastering it is a pointless exercise. You might as well not play it at all. Taking the easy way is permissible but it ought to be a last resort and the idea is that there's always next time. If you aren't growing as a player you are playing FromSoft games wrong and shouldn't bother.

Skinwalker

*teleports into you*
Patron
Village Idiot
I have never seen a game more beautiful than Elden Ring. Not talking about the technology, so much as the style, vision and design aspects. It's breathtaking.

Skyrim was pretty for its time, but hasn't aged very well. Also, wtf does Skyrim have to do with this? And why did the retarded troll link some random soyboy raving about Skyrim? Do you just mindlessly regurgitate opinions from youtube videos?

Skinwalker

*teleports into you*
Patron
Village Idiot
Beating the game without mastering it is a pointless exercise. You might as well not play it at all. Taking the easy way is permissible but the idea is that there's always next time. If you aren't growing as a player you are playing FromSoft games wrong and shouldn't bother.
This. There's definitely a wrong way to play soulsgames. If you're constantly stressed, terrified of basic enemies, constantly dying, constantly dying so much that you're constantly losing significant amounts of souls/bloods/runes, taking 50+ attempts at beating an average boss, and especially if you're doing all this while googling builds/guides/walkthroughs - you're playing it wrong, and either lack the skill to get gut, or have been ruined by relying on crutches.

These games are not punishingly difficult, and you don't need to be a masochist to enjoy them. I'd have quit them a long time ago if I played like these scrubs, lol.

It looked like total shit for "its time" too.
Now you're being an edgelord. :rpgcodex:

Odoryuk

Educated
Beating the game without mastering it is a pointless exercise
Is it though? Define mastering a game. Define playing the games wrong.
If you aren't growing as a player
One should strive to grow as a person, as a player one should have fun. If it's no fun for you to struggle and fun for you to let Oleg to eviscerate every boss, then you're playing the game the right way.

I have never seen a game more beautiful than Elden Ring. Not talking about the technology, so much as the style, vision and design aspects. It's breathtaking.
Bloodborne, Dark Souls 3 and Sekiro are cut from the same cloth, artistry-wise, would recommend you to try them if you haven't yet.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
If you aren't growing as a player you are playing FromSoft games wrong and shouldn't bother.
Sure (and I'd argue this is true of any game, or you're just in the fucking skinnerbox) but what one person has to do to grow isn't the same as for another. Expecting the guy who has played hundreds of hours of similar games and the guy who has played zero to be at the same place by the end of the game is retarded. Playing on an easier difficulty, or in this case, an easier style, is perfectly reasonable if you're new and still learning things. Trying to learn everything at once is retarded. Learn more basic skills, like how to manage stamina and the recovery windows on your own attacks, before trying to learn parry timings and AI flaws on everything in the game.

Telling a person that has never played a game as difficult as this before to become a master in a single playthrough is like telling someone to memorize a foreign language dictionary over the weekend.

Whatever you mean by "mastered", DS1 is also a game with much easier combat. I was killing some of the bosses in its second half first try on my first run and didn't need many tries for any of the rest. Except for Kalameet but that's DLC. ER was not like this for me at all. Some of later bosses were some of the most infuriating shit ever for me, and I played all Dark Souls games and Sekiro before ER.

Lutte

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
It looked like total shit for "its time" too.
Now you're being an edgelord. :rpgcodex:
Screenshots from a review from when the game released (so no higher resolution texture pack which bethesda themselves released, no mods or any fuckery guaranteed)

bKJONek.jpeg

JqY9ARl.jpeg

zX5Sbur.jpeg

tZOd1oI.jpeg

Beautiful for its time, uh? this was 2011. Aside from DS1 which LS mentioned, Mass Effect 2 also released in that same timeframe.

3mhOWkQ.jpeg

AufRVIz.jpeg

Or Batman Arkham City
TVAVdyH.jpeg

pJUotnC.jpeg

There's no time, no era in which Beth games can be said to look good. Some very specific elements, in isolation, of beth games can look good: Morrowind's water, Oblivion's incredible-for-the-time foliage draw distance, some of the darker lit dungeons also looked pretty.

But those elements never mesh together to form a 'whole' that can be called pretty. The cardinal sin of playing a beth game: noticing an NPC's face. You know what setting would heavily benefit from having both men and women wear burqas? It's TES. You just don't want to look at a person's face in a TES game, whether it's Morrowind, Oblivion or Skyrim. You don't.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Whatever you mean by "mastered"
SL1, no equipment, no spells, no rolling, no consumables, final destination

Stop being retarded.

In none of my videos i did any of the above. In fact, i made it a point to use every resource available to me precisely to dispell this stupid strawman argument. Even on my SL1 run, aside for the basic SL1 challenge itself (and my rule not to upgrade my weapon past the +10/+4 mark, the only little concession i made to myself to make the game a bit harder), and of course the rule to avoid using summons (which goes without saying), i used every tool at my disposal and every known dirty trick you can think of. Bleed, frost, rot, buffs before a fight, all the good weapon arts like Square Off or Lion's Claw and so on. It's all there in every video i made. At no point you can accuse me of having been a try hard, or having done anything unreasonable to make the game harder (within the scope of the SL1 challenge itself, but note i didn't hold back on my SL150 character either).

Look at my fight with Mogh:

Every single ounce of resource was used by me to make this fight easier. Pots to proc the frost faster, personal buffs of various kinds, all the right gear to maximize my chances etc.

So what does it mean to master the game? Well, as you can see in the above, i pretty much mastered his movie set, to the point making the game artificially harder would have just been a pointless exercise in autism (which is never fun for me). It's enough for me to feel i was in control of the fight the entire time. More than that would have been just a form of show off.

Now i'm not asking new players to get to this level of mastery (which one can only obtain after years of experience), but i think most people should strive to at least feel like they actually beat the boss by overcoming the challenge instead of side stepping it with summons and the like. Keep in mind i'm not opposed to the use of those means, but they should be kept as a last resort. If the player finds the challenge insurmountable, then sure, use the summons, after all, there's always next time, but if you aren't even bothering to put the effort and you are just bypassing every single obstacle with summons, why play the game at all?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom