Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Elden Ring - From Software's new game with writing by GRRM

Ravielsk

Magister
I think I figured out why the games balancing feels so bad especially after Godrick. Its because the game was self-evidently balanced around the idea that you have a great rune active at all times with Rune Arcs being just means to buff said runes even further(kinda like embering in DS3) but then some genius turned them into temporary buffs but omitted to change anything else like the tooltip that still tells you rune arcs are just for buffing runes not for making them work period. It would perfectly explain why soul rewards are so small and enemy HP so high because it was made around the assumption that the player is always using at least one massive buff at any time. It would also explain why the game expects you to min-max to the extreme while giving you almost no souls to do said min-maxing or why respec is limited, its because when you get a percentage buff to all your stats at all times you do not need to min-max and errors or rather experimentation with builds is not as punishing.

I am actually pretty sure that someone was doing a lot of change shortly before release without really thinking about them because when I compare how the game was in the network test and how it is now I feel more like a beta tester now than I felt back then. There are so many weird reshuffles and changes(like the default number of talismans and how you get new slots for them) that do little beside make the game worse and more tiresome. It feels like another Bloodborne where a couple of months before release they tried to re-tool the whole thing expect it did not work out this time.

Bigg Boss

Arcane
I did hope with Elden Ring they were going to drop the weird connection issues but apparently they want everyone to get fingered to death that lives in the southern USA.

Ramnozack

Cipher
Patron
You people are genuinely batshit insane
You know that super cool weapon that would totally be worth a replay to make a build around? 20 hours in guarded by a boss with a 5 hit 360 combo. And it's useless because it's going to take another 20 hours to upgrade it. Btw, can I interest you in this Moonveil I got over here?
If its that big of an issue for you, just turn EAC off, go offline, and use cheat engine to spawn in the weapon you want for yourself and however many upgrades you want for it as well. Save and quit then start the game normally and there you go. A little cheaty but whatever, at least you get to play with the weapon you want from the get-go.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
They should just let us big boys type whatever we want in our graffiti messages already
Try fingers,
But hole

Edit:
I left a few messages so far, all of them actually informative except that shit I typed above. That is my message with the most ratings. 80:20 positive rating too:betrayed:

I had a similar experience except one of my helpful messages was tied with my equally true, but arguably less helpful message: head ahead

Meanwhile, other helpful messages didn't get much traction and one actually got downranked, I think because the moron thought I was trolling when I was actually pointing out an often overlooked secret.

Ravielsk

Magister
You people are genuinely batshit insane
You know that super cool weapon that would totally be worth a replay to make a build around? 20 hours in guarded by a boss with a 5 hit 360 combo. And it's useless because it's going to take another 20 hours to upgrade it. Btw, can I interest you in this Moonveil I got over here?
If its that big of an issue for you, just turn EAC off, go offline, and use cheat engine to spawn in the weapon you want for yourself and however many upgrades you want for it as well. Save and quit then start the game normally and there you go. A little cheaty but whatever, at least you get to play with the weapon you want from the get-go.

I mean that is a fair point but the fact that its actually a legit advice to bust out cheat engine is a pretty major failure design wise.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
A little cheaty but whatever, at least you get to play with the weapon you want from the get-go.
Cheating to get past a game's obvious problems doesn't make the game any better. In fact I would say this is an argument why the game might not be so good.

I don't know that most people see equipment progression as an obvious problem. It's more like part of the draw of the thing and one of the reasons Sekiro sucks.

Ravielsk

Magister
A little cheaty but whatever, at least you get to play with the weapon you want from the get-go.
Cheating to get past a game's obvious problems doesn't make the game any better. In fact I would say this is an argument why the game might not be so good.

I don't know that most people see equipment progression as an obvious problem. It's more like part of the draw of the thing and one of the reasons Sekiro sucks.
Sekiro's gear was not a core part of the game. It was mostly supplementary and while it could have been better distributed the game did not exactly suffer too much because of it.

Elden ring on the other hand is all about the gear and so having potentially neat or interesting stuff hidden behind a 20+ hour wall is a serious problem. Especially when said piece is entirely incompatible with your current build and/or has a learning curve to it. This is actually a problem Bloodborne had with its DLC where it added a ton of neat weapons that nobody ended up using because after 30 hours of learning and upgrading the Kirk Hammer nobody was going to repeat the same process for a (albeit cooler) variant of a chainsaw.

Gruncheon

Augur
Finally defeated Rondalion in the Neglected Tannery. Cool area, really liked that you could trick him into attacking the waterwheel. Anyone know where I should use the Sacred Lazuli that you get from trading with Britomart?

Sunri

Liturgist

Sekiro's gear was not a core part of the game. It was mostly supplementary and while it could have been better distributed the game did not exactly suffer too much because of it.

Elden ring on the other hand is all about the gear and so having potentially neat or interesting stuff hidden behind a 20+ hour wall is a serious problem. Especially when said piece is entirely incompatible with your current build and/or has a learning curve to it. This is actually a problem Bloodborne had with its DLC where it added a ton of neat weapons that nobody ended up using because after 30 hours of learning and upgrading the Kirk Hammer nobody was going to repeat the same process for a (albeit cooler) variant of a chainsaw.

No one was using new weapons because they gave the player the best weapon at the start of the game

Ramnozack

Cipher
Patron

I don't know what the alternative to that would be. How would you ensure everyone gets the items they want within the first couple of hours? Is that even desirable? Should the game just not drop weapons or anything like that after a certain point in the game, and just frontload all the equipment? What would be the incentive to explore and do dungeons and whatnot?

perfectslumbers

Arbiter
Anyone know where I should use the Sacred Lazuli that you get from trading with Britomart?
You need the jade chunk from the jade tunnels in southern Aelith, and the carved amethyst from the statue in Meloonias boss room in the Rotting Capital. Then take them to Keeley the gem wheel. They're the last gems he needs to complete the set and become a full gem wheel, it'll lead you to the next step in his quest line.

Lutte

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck

No one was using new weapons because they gave the player the best weapon at the start of the game
I would trade a newborn for a saw spear in more souls games.

Wunderbar

Arcane
In the case of DS2, I ran the entire game once with pretty much any viable build or weapon setup you can imagine viable. Ultra greatswords, katanas, rapiers, sorcerer, dark magic, lightning spear spammer, I've done it all.
what about mundane ladle?

Child of Malkav

Erudite
Funny thing just happened: I met Alecto, nice guy apparently, decent entrance and all.
Then he starts flying around and having attack seizures and shooting blood projectiles and shit, plus a nasty AoE, while doing input reading and all that good stuff.
Anyway, after some time (all of 2 minutes) I realized that he abused my hospitality and was severely misbehaving, unbecoming of a ringleader and as such I introduced Alecto to one of my many friends, my sword of night and flame.
The introduction was very polite, straightforward and by the book: a charged beam, from up close, to the face, knocking him down.
But Alecto didn't go down after one beam, he asked for more, and me being overly generous, was happy to oblige, promptly and decisively aquiescing to his request.
Alecto since vanished and haven't heard from him again.
I don't think we're friends anymore.

Digimon

Educated
Anyone discovered what the hell is that?

E1DBBFDA60DBB41EE35271F22F32F283534D451C

Did you a find a way down there yet? I did and after going down there I have, for me, a bigger question: How the ever loving hell can electricity freeze you over?!

Silva

Arcane
I think I figured out why the games balancing feels so bad especially after Godrick. Its because the game was self-evidently balanced around the idea that you have a great rune active at all times with Rune Arcs being just means to buff said runes even further(kinda like embering in DS3) but then some genius turned them into temporary buffs but omitted to change anything else like the tooltip that still tells you rune arcs are just for buffing runes not for making them work period. It would perfectly explain why soul rewards are so small and enemy HP so high because it was made around the assumption that the player is always using at least one massive buff at any time. It would also explain why the game expects you to min-max to the extreme while giving you almost no souls to do said min-maxing or why respec is limited, its because when you get a percentage buff to all your stats at all times you do not need to min-max and errors or rather experimentation with builds is not as punishing.

I am actually pretty sure that someone was doing a lot of change shortly before release without really thinking about them because when I compare how the game was in the network test and how it is now I feel more like a beta tester now than I felt back then. There are so many weird reshuffles and changes(like the default number of talismans and how you get new slots for them) that do little beside make the game worse and more tiresome. It feels like another Bloodborne where a couple of months before release they tried to re-tool the whole thing expect it did not work out this time.
Makes sense. The scale of this game is also bigger than anything they had tried before, so it's natural that they would need more time to balance things properly. I suspect we'll gonna see more balancing patches ahead.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
+9'ed one of the trumpets those fat guys in Leyndell drop on my faith/strength guy.

That weapon is hilariously good, constantly staggers even the biggest mobs and the weapon art deals up to 2k damage for low fp cost, works especially well on big enemies. Bonus points, many katana spammers (cancer) in pvp have no idea how to deal with it.

Wunderbar

Arcane
Is there any purpose in golden seeds other than upgrading your flask? I have four extra seeds, but my flask is already at max so they are kinda useless.

ADL

Prophet

You'll probably get banned but at this rate the cheaters pool will just be a bunch of normal players wanting above 60FPS in their game.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom