Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eiyuu*Senki - PC exlusive conquest SLG [NSFW] [JPN]

laclongquan

Arcane
The important thing is you can name them. Because if you can not , those are just boring games nobody bother to remember and play them. Therefore proving my point.

kris

Arcane
I play to few games and is to lazy to check up what new things are out. Why should i need to know the name of the games? Unless I think all in this world I haven't heard about doesn't exist.

Well at least Crusader kings 2, world of tanks I saw. Game of thrones: Gensis I tried. Total war. Might andmagic heroes 6. Warhammer strategy games. Anno games.
Right matric games, always kick out a few games, panzer corps (several), command ops (several), fields of glory, etc.

Just see the variety in the titles I mentioned. Strategy games before was mainly on the style of the matrix ones. and strategy games last longer than any other sort of genre.

Berekän

A life wasted
Patron
Do they have to be indie? Anyway, saying that there's a lack of western strategy titles it's bullshit, we have the Men of War series, the Paradox games, Combat Mission games, Xenonauts on the making, Elemental... etc to add to those listed by kris

Berekän

A life wasted
Patron
Men of War: Assault Squad
Men of War: Vietnam
Crusader Kings 2
Victoria 2: A House Divided
Unity of Command
Combat Mission: Battle for Normandy
Sengoku
Shogun 2: Total War
Etc...

But since you're ignoring everything that's being thrown at you I don't think this can make any difference.

kris

Arcane
The key words are 'decent' and 'lately'. Too ancient doesnt count. So-so quality also doesnt qualify.

I don't think we can satisfy you.

I was just saying that many strategy games are still made and then backed that up. I can't help if you personally think they are shit. Its not like I said there are many new strategy games that you like.

laclongquan

Arcane
Crusader Kings 2 ; Victoria 2: A House Divided are good proofs. I dont play them but Codex care enough to LP, so it's good enough for proofs.

Shogun and the likes doesnt count since they are made by Jap, right? My original statement.

Western game developers dropped the balls on this genre so now our only hope lies in japanese game developers. hentai game developers.

Problem, MetalCraze? :troll:

I withdraw the part 'hentai'. Still...

Problem, Codex? :troll:

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Well at least Crusader kings 2
Still bugfest.
world of tanks I saw.
MMO.
Game of thrones: Gensis I tried.
Mostly multiplayer
Might andmagic heroes 6.
Crap.
Warhammer strategy games.
Is there any recent game?
Anno games.
The only two decent games.

Combat Mission: Battle for Normandy
Men of War: Assault Squad
Men of War: Vietnam
WWII rehash.
Victoria 2: A House Divided
Bugfest.

Unity of Command
One of few that looks decent even if a WWII rehash.

Rance?
Shogun 2: Total War
Yup another one, but it's screwed up.

Considering that was comparison of west, EU, and Russia against Japan, Japan wins in the game/population ratio.

Mortmal

Arcane
You forgot distant wolrd, wich was worth playing, ruse , and the new game ruse deelopper is making .
Too bad ill miss on that jap title, i am too lazy to learn japanese.

felicity

Scholar
Tried the combat demo. Not bad though not as good as I hoped. Support skills seem a bit underpowered.

Other strategy games releasing in April:

Eushully's new game - urban setting RPG with a card battle system... should be interesting.

Demonion - Dungeon Keeper style strategy game. Will it best Sudzukuri Dragon?

Venus Blood Frontier - Tentacles breeders turn-based strategy games. Never played the VB series. Supposed to be good.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Eushully's new game - urban setting RPG with a card battle system... should be interesting.

But, but... What are Eushully games without creepy sex with mythical magical beings?

Demonion - Dungeon Keeper style strategy game. Will it best Sudzukuri Dragon?

Blah blah blah. Demon king sealed away deep under the earth, evil awakens (or is awakened...), war threatens the kingdom. 'cept the good guys are douches and the devil is more likeable.

One part sex slave training, one part visual novel and one part defending your dungeon with traps and monsters.

http://www.astronauts.co.jp/sirius/demonion/system.html

The screen-shots make my hyper weapon soar, but Astronauts is not known to me.

Venus Blood Frontier - Tentacles breeders turn-based strategy games. Never played the VB series. Supposed to be good.

Dual Tail makes my dick go limp. I just hate their art style. Admittedly their games have been less shit by every incrementation, so who knows. "Norse" setting this time, which can be... Well, not like it will make much a difference.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Yeah, the game has shipped now. Don't have much time to play it at the moment, but it seems okayish. Story didn't captivate me much (surprise surprise). No idea on the scope of the C&C yet.

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
Is it really so hard to hire some guy to translate your game into English. Seriously, I understand Japan has more perverts per capita but it's a big world out there and digital distribution is the name of the game. Who cares about Fox whining about animated rape, there is no 'bad press' only more sales. Dudes, this Business 101 and it boggles my mind.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
It is an interesting mix of cultural, legal and business issues.

You have to keep in mind that those games are indie in true indie sense. Studios go under very frequently (the earthquakes for example took out several game studios), so they are very risk aversive.

The whole scene is shunned, everyone operates on an alias and a whole lot of effort is spent in avoiding any potential legal issues. And at the same time the combined business is a real business.

Some companies have attempted simultaneous in-house English translations, but they haven't truly been successful yet (the end result was more engrish than english).

Also; there is a whole lot of licensing issues. The studios themselves don't negotiate rights for an international release, so for global release they'd have to have a new round of contract negotiations (with voice actors, music etc.)

If they'd be more fluent with English, we'd probably see more tittles on global release. Unfortunately language barrier still exists, even for the younger generations.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom